Re: Some restructuring of the download section - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Some restructuring of the download section
Date
List pgsql-www
On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 11:27 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> On Sunday, June 17, 2012, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>>

>> In terms of confusing entries, though, describing the non-yum option
>> as a "one click installer" makes it sound like it is the fast and
>> easy way to do this.  My experiences with the yum packages is that
>> there are no clicks needed.  I type the apt-get command or pick the
>> package in the GUI package manager and a few secons later I have a
>> running PostgreSQL instance without any further interaction, and
>> which will automatically be updated with new minor releases.  I think
>> we should provide some guidance on the reasons one would want to pick
>> one or the other.
>

> (this is background info, not an argument against the proposed changes):
>
> Well the whole point is that they are faster and easier to get started - one

Well, you already know I disagree on this ;)

But even in those cases that they *are* easier to get started with, it
comes with a cost later on.

> The platform native packaging systems are marginally easier to update
> (StackBuilder will update the installers), but have proven in the past to
> confuse some users because it's hard to know what to install (though part of
> what Magnus has done aims to make that easier), and they all install
> software but don't do any of the setup for you - no initdb, no service setup
> etc.

Uh, that part is just incorrect. Several sets of platform packages
certainly do initdb for you. And AFAIK every single one of them on
Linux at least do service setup for you.

> The reason the original design was implemented, and the installers were
> written, is that this was a real problem that caused regular emails to
> webmaster@postgresql.org and other places. We reduced that to practically
> zero by putting the 'no-brainer' option at the top of the page.

It's moved some of those to other lists of course, but yes, it
certainly helped to cut down the number of peopl ewho had that
problem. My hope with the redesign is to give them advice that's as
easy to use, but produce a better result (=OS integration).

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/