Anyone know a good opensource CRM that actually installs with Posgtres?

From
Bradley Kieser
Date:
I hope that someone has cracked this one because I have run into a brick
wall the entire week and after 3 all-nighters with bad installations, I
would appreciate hearing from others!

I am looking for a decent OpenSource CRM system that will run with
Postgres. SugarCRM seems to be the most popular but it's MySQL-centric
and its opensource parts are very restricted.

vTiger is also mySQL-centric.

I thought that I had a corker of a system with "centricCRM" but when it
came to actually installing it, I am 48 hours down and hacking through
screen after screen of installation errors. Basically, it relies way too
much on ant and Java tools. Nothing against Java but my experience with
ant used for installing PG schemas is a dismal track record of error and
frustration. centric CRM is no exception. Frankly, it just doesn't work
and after trying to hack out the ant into a PG script I have decided to
give it up as a bad job.

XRMS promises to run on PG but... it doesn't. The core system is fine,
but useless without the plugins. The Plugins are mySQL-specific again, I
spent several all-nighters previously hacking through installation
screens attempting to convert mysql to PG, making software patches...
you get the picture.

XLSuite looks very promising. Awesome interface, looks great... only
it's just not ready yet. It is a year away from being at full PG
production level.

Compiere doesn't support PG.

OpenTAPS the demo won't even work. And it's US-centric whereas we are in
the UK. A pity that it's so very much tied to the US as it could be very
good.

I have tried numerous other CRMs but all the same - either don't run on
PG, claim to but in reality don't or are simply pre-Alpha and not ready
for production use.

So if anyone has actually cracked this, please let me know! I really
need a good CRM.

It has to be OpenSource, not just out of principle, but we need to
integrate it into an existing business with established inhouse software
so we need to be able to customise the code.

Thanks,

Brad

Bradley Kieser wrote:
> I hope that someone has cracked this one because I have run into a
> brick wall the entire week and after 3 all-nighters with bad
> installations, I would appreciate hearing from others!
>
> I am looking for a decent OpenSource CRM system that will run with
> Postgres. SugarCRM seems to be the most popular but it's MySQL-centric
> and its opensource parts are very restricted.

Not a recommendation, coz I haven't actually used it, but you might try
Drupal, if you haven't already. I've seen Drupal work OK, & it claims to
support Postgres.

Brent Wood

> vTiger is also mySQL-centric.
>
> I thought that I had a corker of a system with "centricCRM" but when
> it came to actually installing it, I am 48 hours down and hacking
> through screen after screen of installation errors. Basically, it
> relies way too much on ant and Java tools. Nothing against Java but my
> experience with ant used for installing PG schemas is a dismal track
> record of error and frustration. centric CRM is no exception. Frankly,
> it just doesn't work and after trying to hack out the ant into a PG
> script I have decided to give it up as a bad job.
>
> XRMS promises to run on PG but... it doesn't. The core system is fine,
> but useless without the plugins. The Plugins are mySQL-specific again,
> I spent several all-nighters previously hacking through installation
> screens attempting to convert mysql to PG, making software patches...
> you get the picture.
>
> XLSuite looks very promising. Awesome interface, looks great... only
> it's just not ready yet. It is a year away from being at full PG
> production level.
>
> Compiere doesn't support PG.
>
> OpenTAPS the demo won't even work. And it's US-centric whereas we are
> in the UK. A pity that it's so very much tied to the US as it could be
> very good.
>
> I have tried numerous other CRMs but all the same - either don't run
> on PG, claim to but in reality don't or are simply pre-Alpha and not
> ready for production use.
>
> So if anyone has actually cracked this, please let me know! I really
> need a good CRM.
>
> It has to be OpenSource, not just out of principle, but we need to
> integrate it into an existing business with established inhouse
> software so we need to be able to customise the code.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Brad

>       match

Re: Anyone know a good opensource CRM that actually installs with Posgtres?

From
Kenneth Downs
Date:
Bradley Kieser wrote:
> I hope that someone has cracked this one because I have run into a
> brick wall the entire week and after 3 all-nighters with bad
> installations, I would appreciate hearing from others!
>
> I am looking for a decent OpenSource CRM system that will run with
> Postgres. SugarCRM seems to be the most popular but it's MySQL-centric
> and its opensource parts are very restricted.

Bradley, I've got about 2.5 out of 3 of what you are looking for,
perhaps it might work out for you.  We have a GPL database application
framework that we have used for a handful of CRM-style applications
(links below).  It runs on Postgres, is completely GPL, and is written
in PHP.

Now the bad news :)

We have only crude CRM stuff, and you may end up having to put more into
this area than you want to.  As I said, we use it ourselves for some
stuff, but our needs are simple in that area.  Its primary purpose is
high-powered business database apps.

Now on the third hand, we have a pure business app for Medical Practice
Management and we are about to add the CRM to it so that the
scheduling/billing database also serves the doctor's public website,
doing things like showing schedules, listing active insurances and other
nifty stuff like that.  And of course the doc can enter new articles.
We think its really cool to be able to integrate CRM with business this way.

The only other bad news is that it is Linux only.  It has been installed
on Mac but nobody here can support you with that.  In principle it can
run on Windows because Apache, PHP and Postgres run on windows, but
again, you'd become the guy I send other people to once you get it going :)

Here are three CRM sites running it.  They are my company site, the
project site itself, and a site for a rental home:

www.secdat.com
www.andromeda-project.org
www.manisteeforestretreat.com

The middle one is the actual project, its got some docs, some tutorials,
and a link to the sourceforge download.

Re: Anyone know a good opensource CRM that actually installs with Posgtres?

From
Steve Atkins
Date:
On Mar 8, 2007, at 6:26 PM, Brent Wood wrote:

> Bradley Kieser wrote:
>> I hope that someone has cracked this one because I have run into a
>> brick wall the entire week and after 3 all-nighters with bad
>> installations, I would appreciate hearing from others!
>>
>> I am looking for a decent OpenSource CRM system that will run with
>> Postgres. SugarCRM seems to be the most popular but it's MySQL-
>> centric and its opensource parts are very restricted.
>
> Not a recommendation, coz I haven't actually used it, but you might
> try Drupal, if you haven't already. I've seen Drupal work OK, & it
> claims to support Postgres.

It's not a CRM, though.

Last time I looked, about a year ago, I came to the same conclusion
as the OP.

There are at least some excellent commercial CRMs that support
postgresql, so there's no reason why the open source ones shouldn't,
other than the whole open-source / PHP / MySQL hack mindset. That and
the whole mysql installed base issue.

Cheers,
   Steve

HIPPA (was Re: Anyone know ...)

From
Ron Johnson
Date:

Re: Anyone know a good opensource CRM that actually installs with Posgtres?

From
Craig White
Date:
On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 01:22 +0000, Bradley Kieser wrote:
> I hope that someone has cracked this one because I have run into a brick
> wall the entire week and after 3 all-nighters with bad installations, I
> would appreciate hearing from others!
>
> I am looking for a decent OpenSource CRM system that will run with
> Postgres. SugarCRM seems to be the most popular but it's MySQL-centric
> and its opensource parts are very restricted.
>
> vTiger is also mySQL-centric.
>
> I thought that I had a corker of a system with "centricCRM" but when it
> came to actually installing it, I am 48 hours down and hacking through
> screen after screen of installation errors. Basically, it relies way too
> much on ant and Java tools. Nothing against Java but my experience with
> ant used for installing PG schemas is a dismal track record of error and
> frustration. centric CRM is no exception. Frankly, it just doesn't work
> and after trying to hack out the ant into a PG script I have decided to
> give it up as a bad job.
>
> XRMS promises to run on PG but... it doesn't. The core system is fine,
> but useless without the plugins. The Plugins are mySQL-specific again, I
> spent several all-nighters previously hacking through installation
> screens attempting to convert mysql to PG, making software patches...
> you get the picture.
>
> XLSuite looks very promising. Awesome interface, looks great... only
> it's just not ready yet. It is a year away from being at full PG
> production level.
>
> Compiere doesn't support PG.
>
> OpenTAPS the demo won't even work. And it's US-centric whereas we are in
> the UK. A pity that it's so very much tied to the US as it could be very
> good.
>
> I have tried numerous other CRMs but all the same - either don't run on
> PG, claim to but in reality don't or are simply pre-Alpha and not ready
> for production use.
>
> So if anyone has actually cracked this, please let me know! I really
> need a good CRM.
>
> It has to be OpenSource, not just out of principle, but we need to
> integrate it into an existing business with established inhouse software
> so we need to be able to customise the code.
----
my experience with CRM stuff is that the general CRM application never
does what you want and you are going to have to hack it no matter what.
If you are comfortable with going PHP, you just download sugarcrm or
vtiger or whatever comes closest to your vision of your needs and hack
away from there.

Myself, I am very much enthralled with Ruby on Rails and see it as an
amazingly rapid development system and have been writing everything from
scratch for our non-profit.

Craig

Re: Anyone know a good opensource CRM that actually installs with Posgtres?

From
Mario Guenterberg
Date:
On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 01:22:22AM +0000, Bradley Kieser wrote:
> I hope that someone has cracked this one because I have run into a brick
> wall the entire week and after 3 all-nighters with bad installations, I
> would appreciate hearing from others!
>
> I am looking for a decent OpenSource CRM system that will run with
> Postgres. SugarCRM seems to be the most popular but it's MySQL-centric
> and its opensource parts are very restricted.

Hi...

lxOffice runs with PostgreSQL.

http://www.lx-office.org

regards
Mario

| havelsoft.com - Ihr Service Partner für Open Source |
| Tel:  033876-21 966                                 |
| Notruf: 0173-277 33 60                              |
| http://www.havelsoft.com                            |
|                                                     |
| Inhaber: Mario Günterberg                           |
| Mützlitzer Strasse 19                               |
| 14715 Märkisch Luch                                 |

Re: Anyone know a good opensource CRM that actually installs with Posgtres?

From
John Sidney-Woollett
Date:
centric crm works with postgres

John

Mario Guenterberg wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 01:22:22AM +0000, Bradley Kieser wrote:
>> I hope that someone has cracked this one because I have run into a brick
>> wall the entire week and after 3 all-nighters with bad installations, I
>> would appreciate hearing from others!
>>
>> I am looking for a decent OpenSource CRM system that will run with
>> Postgres. SugarCRM seems to be the most popular but it's MySQL-centric
>> and its opensource parts are very restricted.
>>
> Hi...
>
> lxOffice runs with PostgreSQL.
>
> http://www.lx-office.org
>
> regards