Re: Anyone know a good opensource CRM that actually installs with Posgtres? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: Anyone know a good opensource CRM that actually installs with Posgtres?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mar 9, 2007, at 11:35 AM, Brandon Aiken wrote:

> Why is running on PG so important?  Why not look for the best CRM
> application for your user's needs?

There can be many reasons - mostly related to the fact that the
business needs are at least as important, if not more so, than
the user needs.

Running a second corporate database doubles DBA
and sysadmin overhead (let alone the amount of learning needed
to support it effectively, including maintenance, tuning, backup,
disaster recovery, security, updates...).

Also, I wouldn't want any business-critical CRM data on a database
I didn't trust to not lose or corrupt it. I'm still undecided on whether
I trust databases beginning with "M" that much, and I'm certainly
not as confident in them as I am in PG. I quite like SugarCRM, but
I'm not ready to rely on it, mostly for this reason.

Because I may want to modify it to meet my needs (which also
answers the "why open source rather than proprietary?" question),
which requires an even more intimate knowledge of the quirks of
the database than basic maintenance.

Cheers,
   Steve