Re: HIPPA (was Re: Anyone know ...) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kenneth Downs
Subject Re: HIPPA (was Re: Anyone know ...)
Date
List pgsql-general
Bill Moran wrote:
If a user has not logged in, that is, if they are an anonymous visitor,
the web framework will connect to the database as the default "public"
user.  Our system is deny-by-default, so this user cannot actually read
from any table unless specifically granted permission.  In the case
being discussed, the public user is given SELECT permission on some
columns of the insurance carriers table, and on the schedules table.
Huh.  Does that imply that the web framework still holds a number of
different DB credentials?  Or does each user need to supply their
specific DB credentials as their authentication so the web framework is
merely a proxy to the DB?

(Having recently discovered a major security oversight in one of my
employer's webapps, my mind's hot on this kind of thing.)
What's hot in my mind is "how do you securely maintain the database connection
information between page loads?"

I suppose we could ask JP Morgan Chase bank what they do.  As I mentioned to Kevin, sooner or later the security implementation comes down to sessions, the user's protection of their password, whether to use certificates, whether to use dongles, etc.