Re: HIPPA (was Re: Anyone know ...) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Legault
Subject Re: HIPPA (was Re: Anyone know ...)
Date
List pgsql-general
That's basically what I've done with my past questions on the ROLE system in place. Since roles are global, I wanted it fine grained to the DB level so I had to append DB_ in front of each role name and by using current_database() inside my functions, I could hide that from the exterior.

Now I have a web administration panel that can let me administer users and groups. Functions are synced with app permissions and given to groups only. Then users are assigned to groups to give them their app permissions + db function permissions. I had to create a couple extra tables to do the sync between app permissions (view page X, do action Y) and the functions needed for each of these app permission combos.

Users of my products will now be able to control all the users via that panel, it also removes any superuser credentials on the app level as now the DB users are used for the web app login too.

I'm very pleased to have learned this new database and its incorporation in my apps and future apps.

David