Re: Anyone know a good opensource CRM that actually installs with Posgtres? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig White
Subject Re: Anyone know a good opensource CRM that actually installs with Posgtres?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 01:22 +0000, Bradley Kieser wrote:
> I hope that someone has cracked this one because I have run into a brick
> wall the entire week and after 3 all-nighters with bad installations, I
> would appreciate hearing from others!
>
> I am looking for a decent OpenSource CRM system that will run with
> Postgres. SugarCRM seems to be the most popular but it's MySQL-centric
> and its opensource parts are very restricted.
>
> vTiger is also mySQL-centric.
>
> I thought that I had a corker of a system with "centricCRM" but when it
> came to actually installing it, I am 48 hours down and hacking through
> screen after screen of installation errors. Basically, it relies way too
> much on ant and Java tools. Nothing against Java but my experience with
> ant used for installing PG schemas is a dismal track record of error and
> frustration. centric CRM is no exception. Frankly, it just doesn't work
> and after trying to hack out the ant into a PG script I have decided to
> give it up as a bad job.
>
> XRMS promises to run on PG but... it doesn't. The core system is fine,
> but useless without the plugins. The Plugins are mySQL-specific again, I
> spent several all-nighters previously hacking through installation
> screens attempting to convert mysql to PG, making software patches...
> you get the picture.
>
> XLSuite looks very promising. Awesome interface, looks great... only
> it's just not ready yet. It is a year away from being at full PG
> production level.
>
> Compiere doesn't support PG.
>
> OpenTAPS the demo won't even work. And it's US-centric whereas we are in
> the UK. A pity that it's so very much tied to the US as it could be very
> good.
>
> I have tried numerous other CRMs but all the same - either don't run on
> PG, claim to but in reality don't or are simply pre-Alpha and not ready
> for production use.
>
> So if anyone has actually cracked this, please let me know! I really
> need a good CRM.
>
> It has to be OpenSource, not just out of principle, but we need to
> integrate it into an existing business with established inhouse software
> so we need to be able to customise the code.
----
my experience with CRM stuff is that the general CRM application never
does what you want and you are going to have to hack it no matter what.
If you are comfortable with going PHP, you just download sugarcrm or
vtiger or whatever comes closest to your vision of your needs and hack
away from there.

Myself, I am very much enthralled with Ruby on Rails and see it as an
amazingly rapid development system and have been writing everything from
scratch for our non-profit.

Craig