New mug design

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
Hello,

over the last years we bought mugs in europe from kernel-concepts, a
german based company. Now i was told that the depot is empty, the last
two boxes was sent to paris, one month ago.

kernel-concepts will produce new mugs - and right now we have the
chance to supply a new design, and (if desired) choose a new type of
mugs.

Personally i find the old design a bit - artless. Here are some photos:

http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/dsc_7025_640x480.jpg
http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/dsc_7027_640x480.jpg
http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/dsc_7030_640x480.jpg

The blue color is really bright and could be more PG blue, the
"PostgreSQL" lettering could be more sublime. Also i would like to see
glasses, same size as the ceramic mugs.

Opinions?

Bye

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: New mug design

From
Thom Brown
Date:
2009/11/15 Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail@wars-nicht.de>:

> Hello,
>
> over the last years we bought mugs in europe from kernel-concepts, a
> german based company. Now i was told that the depot is empty, the last
> two boxes was sent to paris, one month ago.
>
> kernel-concepts will produce new mugs - and right now we have the
> chance to supply a new design, and (if desired) choose a new type of
> mugs.
>
> Personally i find the old design a bit - artless. Here are some photos:
>
> http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/dsc_7025_640x480.jpg
> http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/dsc_7027_640x480.jpg
> http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/dsc_7030_640x480.jpg
>
> The blue color is really bright and could be more PG blue, the
> "PostgreSQL" lettering could be more sublime. Also i would like to see
> glasses, same size as the ceramic mugs.
>

> Opinions?

I actually like the font for the text that's used in the header of
PostgreSQL.org but colourised as such:
http://proyectofedora.org/colombia/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/postgresql.png

And maybe it's also an option to include the tagline "The world's most
advanced open source database"

In any case, I'm happy with my PostgreSQL mug (the same as your
pictures) which I use for work.

Thom

Re: New mug design

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 22:31, Thom Brown <thombrown@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/11/15 Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail@wars-nicht.de>:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> over the last years we bought mugs in europe from kernel-concepts, a
>> german based company. Now i was told that the depot is empty, the last
>> two boxes was sent to paris, one month ago.
>>
>> kernel-concepts will produce new mugs - and right now we have the
>> chance to supply a new design, and (if desired) choose a new type of
>> mugs.
>>
>> Personally i find the old design a bit - artless. Here are some photos:
>>
>> http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/dsc_7025_640x480.jpg
>> http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/dsc_7027_640x480.jpg
>> http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/dsc_7030_640x480.jpg
>>
>> The blue color is really bright and could be more PG blue, the
>> "PostgreSQL" lettering could be more sublime. Also i would like to see
>> glasses, same size as the ceramic mugs.
>>

>> Opinions?
>>

> I actually like the font for the text that's used in the header of
> PostgreSQL.org but colourised as such:
> http://proyectofedora.org/colombia/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/postgresql.png

We specifically *avoid* using a separate color for the word SQL,
because it encourages people to call the product Postgre. So we don't
wnat to go there.

> And maybe it's also an option to include the tagline "The world's most
> advanced open source database"
>
> In any case, I'm happy with my PostgreSQL mug (the same as your
> pictures) which I use for work.

Yeah, all the ones I have are great :-)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: New mug design

From
Thom Brown
Date:
2009/11/15 Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>:
> We specifically *avoid* using a separate color for the word SQL,
> because it encourages people to call the product Postgre. So we don't
> wnat to go there.

I never considered anyone would make that mistake, but fair enough.  I
know it may be blasphemic, but I think the logo itself could actually
do with a bit of an update.

Thom

Re: New mug design

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 22:36:39 +0100 Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 22:31, Thom Brown <thombrown@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > In any case, I'm happy with my PostgreSQL mug (the same as your
> > pictures) which I use for work.
>
> Yeah, all the ones I have are great :-)

But hey, you want to buy new ones, if they have a new design, right? ;-)

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: New mug design

From
Josh Berkus
Date:

Just an elephant-logo mug probably won't go very far here; we were
practically forcing the EDB mugs on people (for free) once we got to the
last box.

Idea for a new mug design: do an instructional one of psql shortcuts,
per the vi coffee mug:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/exclusives/7bbe/

The other option in the US would be an *inexpensive* travel mug made
from recycled plastic, if we could locate such a thing; then we'd be
"green conferencing".

However, as before I think that merchandising isn't what it used to be
in the US, and here we should focus more on straight-up donations instead.

--Josh Berkus

Re: New mug design

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 6:13 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Just an elephant-logo mug probably won't go very far here; we were
> practically forcing the EDB mugs on people (for free) once we got to the
> last box.

We don't seem to have much of a problem selling mugs.

> The other option in the US would be an *inexpensive* travel mug made
> from recycled plastic, if we could locate such a thing; then we'd be
> "green conferencing".

Nice idea.

--
Dave Page

Re: New mug design

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 22:46, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
<adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 22:36:39 +0100 Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 22:31, Thom Brown <thombrown@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > In any case, I'm happy with my PostgreSQL mug (the same as your
>> > pictures) which I use for work.
>>
>> Yeah, all the ones I have are great :-)
>
> But hey, you want to buy new ones, if they have a new design, right? ;-)

Yes.

--

Date:
On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 08:42, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 6:13 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>
>> Just an elephant-logo mug probably won't go very far here; we were
>> practically forcing the EDB mugs on people (for free) once we got to the
>> last box.
>
> We don't seem to have much of a problem selling mugs.

Nope.. They're not as popular as the plush elephants, but they're
definitely not hard to sell.

>> The other option in the US would be an *inexpensive* travel mug made
>> from recycled plastic, if we could locate such a thing; then we'd be
>> "green conferencing".
>
> Nice idea.

Yeah.

Another more high-end option would be one of those thermos mugs.
Obviously a lot more expensive, but quite popular.

--

Date:
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 08:46:01 +0100 Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 08:42, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 6:13 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Just an elephant-logo mug probably won't go very far here; we were
> >> practically forcing the EDB mugs on people (for free) once we got to the
> >> last box.
> >
> > We don't seem to have much of a problem selling mugs.
>
> Nope.. They're not as popular as the plush elephants, but they're
> definitely not hard to sell.

Yep. It's not a problem to sell a box with mugs on a conference,
especially events like FOSDEM.

> >> The other option in the US would be an *inexpensive* travel mug made
> >> from recycled plastic, if we could locate such a thing; then we'd be
> >> "green conferencing".
> >
> > Nice idea.
>
> Yeah.

+1

I like this idea. And you can even use this to spend a mug with a
free soft drink to a stand visitor, once you started a talk with
him. He won't go away until the mug is empty ;-)

> Another more high-end option would be one of those thermos mugs.
> Obviously a lot more expensive, but quite popular.

I can try. But for this we definitely need a better design ...

Bye

--

Date:
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 08:44:49 +0100 Magnus Hagander wrote:

> > But hey, you want to buy new ones, if they have a new design, right? ;-)
>
> Yes.

Sold!

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: New mug design

From
damien clochard
Date:
Josh Berkus a écrit :

> Just an elephant-logo mug probably won't go very far here; we were
> practically forcing the EDB mugs on people (for free) once we got to the
> last box.
>
> Idea for a new mug design: do an instructional one of psql shortcuts,
> per the vi coffee mug:

Why not :  INSERT INTO me VALUES('coffee','sugar');

:P

> http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/exclusives/7bbe/
>
> The other option in the US would be an *inexpensive* travel mug made
> from recycled plastic, if we could locate such a thing; then we'd be
> "green conferencing".

From my own experience, the current mugs from kernel-concepts are pretty
fragile. I don't have precise figures but i would say that 1 of 12 is
broken, chipped or breached out-of-the-box, just because of shipping.

Afterward the lifetime of the mug is quite varying. I would say 1 of 6
doesn't last more than 1 year.

all in all, that makes something like 25% being trashed within the first
year, so i think we should give a try to plastic mugs if that's possible.

Re: New mug design

From
Thom Brown
Date:
2009/11/16 damien clochard <damien@dalibo.info>:
> Josh Berkus a écrit :
>>
>> Just an elephant-logo mug probably won't go very far here; we were
>> practically forcing the EDB mugs on people (for free) once we got to the
>> last box.
>>
>> Idea for a new mug design: do an instructional one of psql shortcuts,
>> per the vi coffee mug:
>>

> Why not :  INSERT INTO me VALUES('coffee','sugar');

That's a great suggestion! :)

Thom

Re: New mug design

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On sön, 2009-11-15 at 22:36 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > In any case, I'm happy with my PostgreSQL mug (the same as your
> > pictures) which I use for work.
>
> Yeah, all the ones I have are great :-)

Yeah, they're classics in the entire family.  Let's not spoil them.

Re: New mug design

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 22:13:29 -0800 Josh Berkus wrote:

> Just an elephant-logo mug probably won't go very far here; we were
> practically forcing the EDB mugs on people (for free) once we got to the
> last box.

Is this just an elephant or an EDB lettering too?

To be honest, i don't expect to pay for a mug with a company logo on it.

Bye

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: New mug design

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Le lundi 16 novembre 2009 à 11:18:16, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum a écrit :
> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 22:13:29 -0800 Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Just an elephant-logo mug probably won't go very far here; we were
> > practically forcing the EDB mugs on people (for free) once we got to the
> > last box.
>
> Is this just an elephant or an EDB lettering too?
>
> To be honest, i don't expect to pay for a mug with a company logo on it.

+1

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org
 http://dalibo.com

Re: New mug design

From
Marcelo Costa
Date:
Hi..

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 8:18 AM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 22:13:29 -0800 Josh Berkus wrote:

> Just an elephant-logo mug probably won't go very far here; we were
> practically forcing the EDB mugs on people (for free) once we got to the
> last box.

Is this just an elephant or an EDB lettering too?

To be honest, i don't expect to pay for a mug with a company logo on it.

Just to add, in Brazil 2009 conference all the 100 mugs over in one day.

The design of the 2009 PostgreSQL Conference mugs is: http://www.marcelocosta.net/mug_brazil.jpg

[],s

--
Marcelo Costa
www.marcelocosta.net

Doctor House in apology to Mike Jagger

Re: New mug design

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 10:47:11 -0200 Marcelo Costa wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 8:18 AM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <
> adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 22:13:29 -0800 Josh Berkus wrote:
> >
> > > Just an elephant-logo mug probably won't go very far here; we were
> > > practically forcing the EDB mugs on people (for free) once we got to the
> > > last box.
> >
> > Is this just an elephant or an EDB lettering too?
> >
> > To be honest, i don't expect to pay for a mug with a company logo on it.
> >

> Just to add, in Brazil 2009 conference all the 100 mugs over in one day.

Cool!

> The design of the 2009 PostgreSQL Conference mugs is:
> http://www.marcelocosta.net/mug_brazil.jpg

This looks very nice, i like the design.

I have something like the "0970" article on this website in my mind:

http://www.promonova.ch/glas-tassen.html

Bye

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: New mug design

From
Chris Browne
Date:
damien@dalibo.info (damien clochard) writes:
> Josh Berkus a écrit :
>>
>> Just an elephant-logo mug probably won't go very far here; we were
>> practically forcing the EDB mugs on people (for free) once we got to the
>> last box.
>>
>> Idea for a new mug design: do an instructional one of psql shortcuts,
>> per the vi coffee mug:
>>

> Why not :  INSERT INTO me VALUES('coffee','sugar');

That seems like an EAV model to me, and therefore evil ;-).

I'd rather something like:

  INSERT INTO MUGS (BEVERAGE) VALUES ('Coffee'), ('Espresso'), ('Tea');
--
"I really only meant to point out how nice InterOp was for someone who
doesn't  have the weight of the  Pentagon behind him.   I really don't

Re: New mug design

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 11:10 -0500, Chris Browne wrote:
> damien@dalibo.info (damien clochard) writes:
> > Josh Berkus a écrit :
> >>
> >> Just an elephant-logo mug probably won't go very far here; we were
> >> practically forcing the EDB mugs on people (for free) once we got to the
> >> last box.

In Open Source there is an extreme difference between SWAG that is about
a project versus a product (or company).

Although I agree we should have a great mug design, I don't think the
comparison between a very well done Elephant logo mug and that of a
commercial marketing ploy is valid.

> >> Idea for a new mug design: do an instructional one of psql shortcuts,
> >> per the vi coffee mug:
> >>

> > Why not :  INSERT INTO me VALUES('coffee','sugar');

> That seems like an EAV model to me, and therefore evil ;-).
>
> I'd rather something like:
>
>   INSERT INTO MUGS (BEVERAGE) VALUES ('Coffee'), ('Espresso'), ('Tea');

Too much.

How about:

COMMIT;

> --
> "I really only meant to point out how nice InterOp was for someone who
> doesn't  have the weight of the  Pentagon behind him.   I really don't
> imagine that the Air Force will ever be  able to operate like a small,
> competitive enterprise like GM or IBM." -- Kent England

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
If the world pushes look it in the eye and GRR. Then push back harder. - Salamander

Re: New mug design

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Monday 16 November 2009 12:20:26 Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 11:10 -0500, Chris Browne wrote:
> > damien@dalibo.info (damien clochard) writes:

> In Open Source there is an extreme difference between SWAG that is about
> a project versus a product (or company).
>
> Although I agree we should have a great mug design, I don't think the
> comparison between a very well done Elephant logo mug and that of a
> commercial marketing ploy is valid.

> > > Why not :  INSERT INTO me VALUES('coffee','sugar');
> >
> > That seems like an EAV model to me, and therefore evil ;-).
> >
> > I'd rather something like:
> >
> >   INSERT INTO MUGS (BEVERAGE) VALUES ('Coffee'), ('Espresso'), ('Tea');
>
> Too much.
>
> How about:
>
> COMMIT;

I think for most of us "BEGIN" would be more appropriate. :-)

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net

Re: New mug design

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 16:54 -0500, Robert Treat wrote:

> > > That seems like an EAV model to me, and therefore evil ;-).
> > >
> > > I'd rather something like:
> > >
> > >   INSERT INTO MUGS (BEVERAGE) VALUES ('Coffee'), ('Espresso'), ('Tea');
> >
> > Too much.
> >
> > How about:
> >
> > COMMIT;
> >

> I think for most of us "BEGIN" would be more appropriate. :-)

I thought about that. I was considering COMMIT as in, the mug is a
"commitment" silly as that may be. BEGIN works too though :)

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:54:58 -0500 Robert Treat wrote:

> On Monday 16 November 2009 12:20:26 Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >
> > How about:
> >
> > COMMIT;
> >

> I think for most of us "BEGIN" would be more appropriate. :-)

Both are fine for me - but in addition there should be the PG logo.
Else the mug is "valid" for all sql databases and is not really unique
for PostgreSQL.

What about another sort of mugs or glasses?

Date:

Date:

Date:
On mån, 2009-11-16 at 23:10 +0100, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:54:58 -0500 Robert Treat wrote:
>
> > On Monday 16 November 2009 12:20:26 Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > >
> > > How about:
> > >
> > > COMMIT;
> > >

> > I think for most of us "BEGIN" would be more appropriate. :-)
>
> Both are fine for me - but in addition there should be the PG logo.
> Else the mug is "valid" for all sql databases and is not really unique
> for PostgreSQL.

If you create a geek mug, only geeks will buy and use it.  The current
set of merchandise (e.g., mugs, pens, stress balls) is very family
friendly.  The more gibberish you put on it, the less useful they will
become.  ("Peter, why does it say COMMIT; next to the cute elephant?" --
"Oh, just use a different cup.")

Re: New mug design

From
Rob Napier
Date:
FWIW

I disagree. If you want a family-friendly mug, go to K-Mart.

People in your target market ARE geeks. But I think that commit; is a bit obscure. Though I suspect that a lot of women would buy them for their boyfriends!

I would like to see a nicely shaped mug. The current one is boring, as coffee mugs go. The logo is too big. I understand why you have trouble getting people to take them. It is bloody ugly! It would ONLY appeal to PostgreSQL enthusiasts or people with no design sense.

My apologies to the designer of the original mug, but it fails to excite, amuse or inspire. IMHO

On 17/11/09 6:08 PM, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:

> On mån, 2009-11-16 at 23:10 +0100, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:

>>> I think for most of us "BEGIN" would be more appropriate. :-)
>>
>> Both are fine for me - but in addition there should be the PG logo.
>> Else the mug is "valid" for all sql databases and is not really unique
>> for PostgreSQL.
>
> If you create a geek mug, only geeks will buy and use it.  The current
> set of merchandise (e.g., mugs, pens, stress balls) is very family
> friendly.  The more gibberish you put on it, the less useful they will
> become.  ("Peter, why does it say COMMIT; next to the cute elephant?" --
> "Oh, just use a different cup.")

Regards

Rob Napier

Re: New mug design

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Rob Napier <rob@doitonce.net.au> wrote:

> I would like to see a nicely shaped mug. The current one is boring, as
> coffee mugs go. The logo is too big. I understand why you have trouble
> getting people to take them. It is bloody ugly! It would ONLY appeal to
> PostgreSQL enthusiasts or people with no design sense.

I guess you missed the messages where we said we have no problems selling them?

--
Dave Page

Re: New mug design

From
Rob Napier
Date:
I saw the message from Josh where he said that it was hard to unload them.

I didn't say that no one would want them. I'm just saying that I'd like to see a serious attempt at good design.

Dave, for the past 20 years, the most valuable commodity in the world and the most expensive to acquire, is people's attention. That's why billions of dollars, pounds, marks, roubles, kopeks, et al are spent on trying to get it.

People respond to different stimuli. There are people who WOULD be happy with the mug. But it is advertising. It needs to reach more than just the person you give it to. The opportunity is to use it to reach others when it is sitting on the desk of the said person.

Take the great T shirt from Harvard:

And God said:

<followed by some of the Maxwell’s Equations>

And there was light!

Now that is pretty cool. If PostgreSQL had a mug like that, not only would I want to have one, I’d want to show it to all my friends and tell them why I, my mug and PostgreSQL are so cool!

That is what is needed here.

On 17/11/09 10:56 PM, "Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Rob Napier <rob@doitonce.net.au> wrote:
>
>> I would like to see a nicely shaped mug. The current one is boring, as
>> coffee mugs go. The logo is too big. I understand why you have trouble
>> getting people to take them. It is bloody ugly! It would ONLY appeal to
>> PostgreSQL enthusiasts or people with no design sense.
>
> I guess you missed the messages where we said we have no problems selling
> them?

Regards

Rob Napier

Re: New mug design

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Rob Napier <rob@doitonce.net.au> wrote:
> I saw the message from Josh where he said that it was hard to unload them.

Which was followed by a bunch more saying they sell very well.

> I didn't say that no one would want them. I'm just saying that I'd like to
> see a serious attempt at good design.

No problem with a new design and don't disagree with the other points
you make. What can you come up with? Most of us PG enthusiasts have no
design sense, so we need a little help :-) (seriously).

--
Dave Page

Re: New mug design

From
Rob Napier
Date:
It's my own fault for opening my big mouth. :(

I don't think there is anything wrong with a conventional coffee mug, as long as the design is right. Thermos mugs are good but more expensive and, at least in my experience, they get used less than a mug. Also, they are usually alloy so they have problems with creating an image that stands out.

I'd like to see something clever/humorous.

I quite liked the statements that linked what is going into the mug to the SQL statement. At least they were relevant.

The commit; is interesting but it begs the question:  what?

I came up with an idea for a T shirt a while back and offered it to Josh. He was not excited by the idea so I dropped it. I mention it again here as an example only.

In essence, it was pushing the ‘geek’ association which, by the way, is perfectly fine on a coffee mug.

It would have a quote from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/GEEK

                                                               Geek
                                                        (pronounced Gek)

1 : a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake.
2 : a person often of an intellectual bent who is disliked.
3 : an enthusiast or expert especially in a technological field or activity e.g. PostgreSQL geek.

It works best in white text on black and would make a great shirt/badge.

There would be a small but strong PostgreSQL logo.

Perhaps I can get some of my clients in the design industry to come up with some ideas.

They need ideas to kick start them. I can forward all of your discussions to date and see what they can come up with.

How much time do we have?

On 17/11/09 11:36 PM, "Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Rob Napier <rob@doitonce.net.au> wrote:
>> I saw the message from Josh where he said that it was hard to unload them.
>
> Which was followed by a bunch more saying they sell very well.
>
>> I didn't say that no one would want them. I'm just saying that I'd like to
>> see a serious attempt at good design.
>
> No problem with a new design and don't disagree with the other points
> you make. What can you come up with? Most of us PG enthusiasts have no
> design sense, so we need a little help :-) (seriously).

Regards

Rob Napier

Re: New mug design

From
Oliver Kohll

I quite liked the statements that linked what is going into the mug to the SQL statement. At least they were relevant.

"The amazing PostgreSQL coffee mug - the only breakfast tool with with hot standby facility and external toast relation!"

OK, sorry
Oliver

oliver@gtwm.co.uk / 0845 456 1810 / 07814 828608
www.gtwm.co.uk - company

Re: New mug design

From
Thom Brown
Date:
2009/11/17 Oliver Kohll <oliver@gtwm.co.uk>:

> On 17 Nov 2009, at 13:03, Rob Napier wrote:
>
> I quite liked the statements that linked what is going into the mug to the
> SQL statement. At least they were relevant.
>
> "The amazing PostgreSQL coffee mug - the only breakfast tool with with hot
> standby facility and external toast relation!"
> OK, sorry
> Oliver

Or: PostgreSQL: The elephant never forgets.

Thom

Re: New mug design

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 00:03:04 +1100 Rob Napier wrote:

> How much time do we have?

I would say, the next big event in europe is FOSDEM, february.
Something else on the radar?

Bye

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: New mug design

From
Christophe Pettus

But I think that commit; is a bit obscure.

How about:

SELECT PostgreSQL();
COMMIT;

Too subtle/too much text?

--
-- Christophe Pettus

Re: New mug design

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 17/11/2009 17:20, Christophe Pettus wrote:

> How about:
>
>     SELECT PostgreSQL();
>     COMMIT;
>
> Too subtle/too much text?

Or maybe:

   begin;
   select Oracle;
   rollback;
   begin;
   select PostgreSQL;
   commit;

Definitely not subtle.... :-)

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: New mug design

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
> On 17/11/2009 17:20, Christophe Pettus wrote:
>
>> How about:
>>
>>     SELECT PostgreSQL();
>>     COMMIT;
>>
>> Too subtle/too much text?

Actually, it's pretty close to what I was thinking.

> Or maybe:
>
>   begin;
>   select Oracle;
>   rollback;
>   begin;
>   select PostgreSQL;
>   commit;
>
> Definitely not subtle.... :-)

Naming the competition is probably not a great idea :-)

--
Dave Page

Re: New mug design

From
elein
Date:
I like both the original with Postgresql on the side
and the one that says insert into me values ('milk', coffee');

I want one :)

--elein

On Nov 17, 2009, at 9:20 AM, Christophe Pettus wrote:

> On Nov 17, 2009, at 3:52 AM, Rob Napier wrote:
>> But I think that commit; is a bit obscure.
>
> How about:
>
>     SELECT PostgreSQL();
>     COMMIT;
>
> Too subtle/too much text?
>
> --
> -- Christophe Pettus
>    xof@thebuild.com

elein
elein@varlena.com

Re: New mug design

From
Andreas Kretschmer
Date:
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:

> kernel-concepts will produce new mugs - and right now we have the
> chance to supply a new design, and (if desired) choose a new type of
> mugs.

How about 3 lines:

1. line: begin;
2. line: our Logo
3. line: commit;

(without the word line, you know)

And, if enough space, more infos about PG, like link to our homepage
and/or 'the elephant never forget' or so.

Andreas

Re: New mug design

From
Selena Deckelmann
Date:
On Nov 17, 2009, at 9:33 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
>> On 17/11/2009 17:20, Christophe Pettus wrote:
>>
>>> How about:
>>>
>>>     SELECT PostgreSQL();
>>>     COMMIT;
>>>
>>> Too subtle/too much text?
>
> Actually, it's pretty close to what I was thinking.

If you're interested, I've done etchings of geeky things on wine
glasses and beer mugs in the past. I could do 10-20 and ship them to
FOSDEM as special prizes :)

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily

Re: New mug design

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 5:45 PM, Selena Deckelmann
<selenamarie@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you're interested, I've done etchings of geeky things on wine glasses and
> beer mugs in the past. I could do 10-20 and ship them to FOSDEM as special
> prizes :)

It sounds interesting, but I think something like that is more
appropriate for a PG-specific conference, where we have a larger,
captive audience. The FOSDEM audience is too fluid if you know what I
mean.

--
Dave Page

Re: New mug design

From
"PostgreSQL Project DR"
Date:
It'd be nicer ....

INSERT INTO database_world
values (lo_import('\\var\\postgresql-logo.png'));

Date:
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 22:26:00 +0100 Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:

> over the last years we bought mugs in europe from kernel-concepts, a
> german based company. Now i was told that the depot is empty, the last
> two boxes was sent to paris, one month ago.
>
> kernel-concepts will produce new mugs - and right now we have the
> chance to supply a new design, and (if desired) choose a new type of
> mugs.
>
> Personally i find the old design a bit - artless. Here are some photos:
>
> http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/dsc_7025_640x480.jpg
> http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/dsc_7027_640x480.jpg
> http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/dsc_7030_640x480.jpg
>
> The blue color is really bright and could be more PG blue, the
> "PostgreSQL" lettering could be more sublime. Also i would like to see
> glasses, same size as the ceramic mugs.

To sum up this discussion: i called my supplier today and asked for
several offers:

1) If we change the current design to something new, it needs 6 weeks
for preparation. So for having new mugs for FOSDEM we should have a
logo/art/lettering decision until end of november.

Note: They have to produce new mugs anyway, either we go with the
current design for another 10-15 boxes or we create something new.

2) I asked for other types of mugs, will get an offer.

3) It is possible to engrave mugs. The logo/text would not be printed
on the mug but instead the mug will have a relief with the logo/text in
it. Someone interested in this? I will get an offer.

4) Frozen glasses with imprint. I will get an offer.

5) Thermos mugs with imprint.  I will get an offer.

I was asked about "valuable" mugs, like the well-known vi-mug and like
Josh was suggesting, but i postponed this question because it was not
clear, what exactly we want to print on this mug. To be fair: we did
not even reach any conclusion about the current mug and i don't want to
open two parallel discussions.

Bye

--

Date:
2009/11/18 Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail@wars-nicht.de>:
> To sum up this discussion: i called my supplier today and asked for
> several offers:
>

> 1) If we change the current design to something new, it needs 6 weeks
> for preparation. So for having new mugs for FOSDEM we should have a
> logo/art/lettering decision until end of november.
>
> Note: They have to produce new mugs anyway, either we go with the
> current design for another 10-15 boxes or we create something new.
>

> 2) I asked for other types of mugs, will get an offer.
>

> 3) It is possible to engrave mugs. The logo/text would not be printed
> on the mug but instead the mug will have a relief with the logo/text in
> it. Someone interested in this? I will get an offer.

I like the sound of this one.

> 4) Frozen glasses with imprint. I will get an offer.
>

> 5) Thermos mugs with imprint.  I will get an offer.

I've never liked Thermos mugs, but I might be alone on this one.

> I was asked about "valuable" mugs, like the well-known vi-mug and like
> Josh was suggesting, but i postponed this question because it was not
> clear, what exactly we want to print on this mug. To be fair: we did
> not even reach any conclusion about the current mug and i don't want to
> open two parallel discussions.

Would this be open to discussion after a decision about this batch has
been reached?  I think a cheat-sheet-style mug would be desirable at
some point.

Thom

Re: New mug design

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 16:01:45 +0000 Thom Brown wrote:

> 2009/11/18 Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail@wars-nicht.de>:
>
> > I was asked about "valuable" mugs, like the well-known vi-mug and like
> > Josh was suggesting, but i postponed this question because it was not
> > clear, what exactly we want to print on this mug. To be fair: we did
> > not even reach any conclusion about the current mug and i don't want to
> > open two parallel discussions.
>
> Would this be open to discussion after a decision about this batch has
> been reached?  I think a cheat-sheet-style mug would be desirable at
> some point.

Yes. But right now i fear that we mix two designs (a general PG mug and
the "valuable" mug) in the discussion. That's the reason why i
postponed this one.

I don't want to give up the general PG mug just for getting the other
one, but i like the idea and we can have two different mugs anyway.

Bye

--

Dave Page wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Rob Napier <rob@doitonce.net.au> wrote:
> > I saw the message from Josh where he said that it was hard to unload them.
>
> Which was followed by a bunch more saying they sell very well.
>
> > I didn't say that no one would want them. I'm just saying that I'd like to
> > see a serious attempt at good design.
>
> No problem with a new design and don't disagree with the other points
> you make. What can you come up with? Most of us PG enthusiasts have no
> design sense, so we need a little help :-) (seriously).

OK, I personally like shape of the Ingres mug (for details see
http://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog.html#August_11_2008);  I think the
shape is elegant:

    http://momjian.us/main/img/Ingres.jpg

The cylindrical mugs are so square-looking, literally.

Second, maybe put 'COMMIT;' on the _bottom_ of the mug.

Re: New mug design

Date:
Thom Brown wrote:
> 2009/11/17 Oliver Kohll <oliver@gtwm.co.uk>:
> >
> > On 17 Nov 2009, at 13:03, Rob Napier wrote:
> >
> > I quite liked the statements that linked what is going into the mug to the
> > SQL statement. At least they were relevant.
> >
> > "The amazing PostgreSQL coffee mug - the only breakfast tool with with hot
> > standby facility and external toast relation!"
> > OK, sorry
> > Oliver
> >

> Or: PostgreSQL: The elephant never forgets.

Yea, I like that.

Re: New mug design

Date:
Thom Brown wrote:
> 2009/11/16 damien clochard <damien@dalibo.info>:
> > Josh Berkus a ?crit :
> >>
> >> Just an elephant-logo mug probably won't go very far here; we were
> >> practically forcing the EDB mugs on people (for free) once we got to the
> >> last box.
> >>
> >> Idea for a new mug design: do an instructional one of psql shortcuts,
> >> per the vi coffee mug:
> >>

> > Why not : ?INSERT INTO me VALUES('coffee','sugar');
> >

> That's a great suggestion! :)

    INSERT INTO pg_mug VALUES('coffee', 'sugar', 'cream');

?

Re: New mug design

bruce wrote:
> Thom Brown wrote:
> > 2009/11/16 damien clochard <damien@dalibo.info>:
> > > Josh Berkus a ?crit :

> > > Why not : ?INSERT INTO me VALUES('coffee','sugar');
> > >

> > That's a great suggestion! :)
>
>     INSERT INTO pg_mug VALUES('coffee', 'sugar', 'cream');

Or we could highlight our transacitonal DDL:

    BEGIN;
    CREATE TABLE postgresql (mug_id SERIAL);
    COMMIT;

Re: New mug design

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
I like that one too ...

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Thom Brown wrote:
>> 2009/11/16 damien clochard <damien@dalibo.info>:
>>> Josh Berkus a ?crit :

>>> Why not : ?INSERT INTO me VALUES('coffee','sugar');
>>>

>> That's a great suggestion! :)
>
>     INSERT INTO pg_mug VALUES('coffee', 'sugar', 'cream');
>
> ?
>
> --
>  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
>  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com
>
>  + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org

Re: New mug design

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> bruce wrote:
>> Thom Brown wrote:

>>> That's a great suggestion! :)
>>
>>     INSERT INTO pg_mug VALUES('coffee', 'sugar', 'cream');
>
> Or we could highlight our transacitonal DDL:
>
>     BEGIN;
>     CREATE TABLE postgresql (mug_id SERIAL);
>     COMMIT;

Add the INSERT INTO before the COMMIT ... ?  So that its complete?

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org

Re: New mug design

From
Rob Napier
Date:
I suggest that you combine the two ideas:

>>> INSERT INTO pg_mug VALUES('coffee', 'water', 'sugar', 'cream');

And

>> BEGIN;
>> CREATE TABLE postgresql (mug_id SERIAL);
>> COMMIT;

Regards

Rob Napier

Re: New mug design

Date:
Rob Napier wrote:
> I suggest that you combine the two ideas:

> And
>
> >> BEGIN;
> >> CREATE TABLE postgresql (mug_id SERIAL);
> >> COMMIT;

You mean:

    BEGIN;
    CREATE TABLE pg_mug (contents TEXT);
    INSERT INTO pg_mug VALUES('coffee', 'sugar', 'cream');
    COMMIT;

?

I don't think "water" makes sense unless you are making instant coffee,
which I think is atypical.

Re: New mug design

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
Hello,

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 16:39:25 -0500 (EST) Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Rob Napier wrote:
> > I suggest that you combine the two ideas:

> > And

> You mean:
>
>     BEGIN;
>     CREATE TABLE pg_mug (contents TEXT);
>     INSERT INTO pg_mug VALUES('coffee', 'sugar', 'cream');
>     COMMIT;
>
> ?

+1

But we need to linebreak the third line, else it will go around
the mug (and i want the logo on the other side). So this results
in 5 lines SQL-code, that's ok.

What about the "SELECT PostgreSQL();" idea mentioned upthread?

Bye

--

Date:
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Rob Napier wrote:
>> I suggest that you combine the two ideas:

>> And

> You mean:
>
>     BEGIN;
>     CREATE TABLE pg_mug (contents TEXT);
>     INSERT INTO pg_mug VALUES('coffee', 'sugar', 'cream');
>     COMMIT;
>
> ?
>
> I don't think "water" makes sense unless you are making instant coffee,
> which I think is atypical.

Ummm ... last I checked, that query will fail with too many fields? :)

----

Date:

Date:
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> But we need to linebreak the third line, else it will go around
> the mug (and i want the logo on the other side). So this results
> in 5 lines SQL-code, that's ok.
>

> What about the "SELECT PostgreSQL();" idea mentioned upthread?

That seems fine too.  I think the question is whether we want something
relating to the mug contents, i.e. cute, or something more clearly
referencing PostgreSQL.

Re: New mug design

Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > You mean:
> >
> >     BEGIN;
> >     CREATE TABLE pg_mug (contents TEXT);
> >     INSERT INTO pg_mug VALUES('coffee', 'sugar', 'cream');
> >     COMMIT;
> >
> > ?
> >
> > I don't think "water" makes sense unless you are making instant coffee,
> > which I think is atypical.
>
> Ummm ... last I checked, that query will fail with too many fields? :)

Yep, only I could inject a bug into a mug.  :-(

The correct query is:

    BEGIN;
    CREATE TABLE pg_mug (contents TEXT);
    INSERT INTO pg_mug VALUES('coffee'), ('sugar'), ('cream');
    COMMIT;

That highlights our multi-value INSERT too.  :-)  With proper wrap it
would be:

    BEGIN;
    CREATE TABLE pg_mug (contents TEXT);
    INSERT INTO pg_mug
      VALUES('coffee'), ('sugar'), ('cream');
    COMMIT;

You can even add stirring:

    BEGIN;
    CREATE TABLE pg_mug (contents TEXT);
    INSERT INTO pg_mug
      VALUES('coffee'), ('sugar'), ('cream');
    -- stir
    SELECT * FROM pg_mug ORDER BY random();
    COMMIT;

FYi, I am just shooting out ideas until someone tells me to stop.  ;-)

Re: New mug design

From
Scrappy
Date:
that last one is perfect

Sent from my iPhone

Date:
On Nov 28, 2009, at 2:52 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
>> What about the "SELECT PostgreSQL();" idea mentioned upthread?
>
> That seems fine too.  I think the question is whether we want
> something
> relating to the mug contents, i.e. cute, or something more clearly
> referencing PostgreSQL.

What I particularly liked about:

    SELECT PostgreSQL();
    COMMIT;

... (even if I do say so myself) is that it is advocacy, and is PG-
specific.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
    xof@thebuild.com

Re: New mug design

From
Rob Napier
Date:
Whatever kind of coffee you make, you still need some water.

e.g. Outside the USA, very few people use cream (or anything pretending to
be cream).

Even when I make a cappucino I need water to make steam.

I think that we have to expect American culture in the message even though
it is supposed to be targeted at an international market unless you opt for
a more generic message.

Anyway, I think the idea of tying the function of the coffee mug to
PostgreSQL concepts has a lot of merit.

On 29/11/09 8:39 AM, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> Rob Napier wrote:
>> I suggest that you combine the two ideas:

>> And

> You mean:
>
> BEGIN;
> CREATE TABLE pg_mug (contents TEXT);
> INSERT INTO pg_mug VALUES('coffee', 'sugar', 'cream');
> COMMIT;
>
> ?
>
> I don't think "water" makes sense unless you are making instant coffee,
> which I think is atypical.

Regards

Rob Napier

Re: New mug design

Date:
Rob Napier wrote:
> Whatever kind of coffee you make, you still need some water.

Yes, but you combine the water and the coffee outside the mug.  ;-)
Unless we are talking about cheap instant coffee, and we all agree
Postgres should not be associated with cheap, poor-tasting coffee;
there are other databases for that.  ;-)

> e.g. Outside the USA, very few people use cream (or anything
> pretending to be cream).

Uh, how come they put milk in tea only outside the USA?  As a tea
drinker, I am confused.  ;-)

> Even when I make a cappucino I need water to make steam.

Do you do that in the mug?

> I think that we have to expect American culture in the message
> even though it is supposed to be targeted at an international
> market unless you opt for a more generic message.

I didn't realize the cream/milk issue.  Is there something else we can
include?

> Anyway, I think the idea of tying the function of the coffee
> mug to PostgreSQL concepts has a lot of merit.

Cool.

Re: New mug design

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Rob Napier wrote:
>> Whatever kind of coffee you make, you still need some water.
>
> Yes, but you combine the water and the coffee outside the mug.  ;-)
> Unless we are talking about cheap instant coffee, and we all agree
> Postgres should not be associated with cheap, poor-tasting coffee;
> there are other databases for that.  ;-)
>
>> e.g. Outside the USA, very few people use cream (or anything
>> pretending to be cream).
>
> Uh, how come they put milk in tea only outside the USA?  As a tea
> drinker, I am confused.  ;-)
>
>> Even when I make a cappucino I need water to make steam.
>
> Do you do that in the mug?

Use the steam, yes .. make the steam, no ...

----

Date:
Christophe Pettus wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2009, at 2:52 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> >> What about the "SELECT PostgreSQL();" idea mentioned upthread?
> >
> > That seems fine too.  I think the question is whether we want
> > something
> > relating to the mug contents, i.e. cute, or something more clearly
> > referencing PostgreSQL.
>
> What I particularly liked about:
>
>     SELECT PostgreSQL();
>     COMMIT;
>
> ... (even if I do say so myself) is that it is advocacy, and is PG-
> specific.

The other side of the mug will have the Postgres elephant and the
PostgreSQL name so I think we can be more subtle on the SQL query side
of the mug.

Re: New mug design

bruce wrote:
> You can even add stirring:
>
>     BEGIN;
>     CREATE TABLE pg_mug (contents TEXT);
>     INSERT INTO pg_mug
>       VALUES('coffee'), ('sugar'), ('cream');
>     -- stir
>     SELECT * FROM pg_mug ORDER BY random();
>     COMMIT;

We can also have different ways of specifying the transaction:

    BEGIN/COMMIT
    BEGIN WORK/COMMIT WORK
    START TRANSACTION/COMMIT
    START TRANSACTION/COMMIT WORK

Re: New mug design

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 12:10 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

>> e.g. Outside the USA, very few people use cream (or anything
>> pretending to be cream).
>
> Uh, how come they put milk in tea only outside the USA?  As a tea
> drinker, I am confused.  ;-)

They put cream in tea inside the USA? Weird.

Anyway, don't forget this was (originally) a discussion about new mugs
for PostgreSQL Europe, where cafe au lait is definitely more common.

--
Dave Page

Re: New mug design

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 17:57:38 -0500 (EST) Bruce Momjian wrote:

> That highlights our multi-value INSERT too.  :-)  With proper wrap it
> would be:
>
>     BEGIN;
>     CREATE TABLE pg_mug (contents TEXT);
>     INSERT INTO pg_mug
>       VALUES('coffee'), ('sugar'), ('cream');
>     COMMIT;
>
> You can even add stirring:
>
>     BEGIN;
>     CREATE TABLE pg_mug (contents TEXT);
>     INSERT INTO pg_mug
>       VALUES('coffee'), ('sugar'), ('cream');
>     -- stir
>     SELECT * FROM pg_mug ORDER BY random();
>     COMMIT;

The mug is colored anyway, right now blue and black. Can/should we add
some syntax highlighting?

Bye

--

Date:
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 17:57:38 -0500 (EST) Bruce Momjian wrote:

> FYi, I am just shooting out ideas until someone tells me to stop.  ;-)

Keep going, we will sort it out ;-)

--

Date:
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 17:57:38 -0500 (EST) Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > That highlights our multi-value INSERT too.  :-)  With proper wrap it
> > would be:
> >
> >     BEGIN;
> >     CREATE TABLE pg_mug (contents TEXT);
> >     INSERT INTO pg_mug
> >       VALUES('coffee'), ('sugar'), ('cream');
> >     COMMIT;
> >
> > You can even add stirring:
> >
> >     BEGIN;
> >     CREATE TABLE pg_mug (contents TEXT);
> >     INSERT INTO pg_mug
> >       VALUES('coffee'), ('sugar'), ('cream');
> >     -- stir
> >     SELECT * FROM pg_mug ORDER BY random();
> >     COMMIT;
>
> The mug is colored anyway, right now blue and black. Can/should we add
> some syntax highlighting?

Great idea --- colorful is good.

Re: New mug design

Dave Page wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 12:10 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
> >> e.g. Outside the USA, very few people use cream (or anything
> >> pretending to be cream).
> >
> > Uh, how come they put milk in tea only outside the USA? ?As a tea
> > drinker, I am confused. ?;-)
>
> They put cream in tea inside the USA? Weird.

No, we don't usually put any dairy products in our tea.

> Anyway, don't forget this was (originally) a discussion about new mugs
> for PostgreSQL Europe, where cafe au lait is definitely more common.

True, but could I get a special tea mug?  ;-)

        INSERT INTO pg_mug VALUES('hot water', 'tea', 'sugar');

Re: New mug design

From
Florian Weimer
* Bruce Momjian:

>     CREATE TABLE pg_mug (contents TEXT);
>     INSERT INTO pg_mug
>       VALUES('coffee'), ('sugar'), ('cream');

Shouldn't that be "ingredient" instead of "contents"?

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer@bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99

Re: New mug design

From
Chris Browne
Date:
scrappy@hub.org ("Marc G. Fournier") writes:
>>     INSERT INTO pg_mug VALUES('coffee', 'sugar', 'cream');

I would prefer a more relational representation:
  INSERT INTO pg_mug (contents) VALUES('coffee'), ('sugar'), ('cream');

Alternatively, we could make it generic:
  INSERT INTO pg_mug (contents)
    SELECT contents FROM recipes
      WHERE user_name = current_user();

:-)
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','linuxfinances.info').
http://linuxfinances.info/info/slony.html

Re: New mug design

From
Gabriele Bartolini
Date:
Ciao,

For some reason I can't explain, the more I read and the more I am sure
that Damien's original idea (Nov 16) is the simplest and most effective
of all, considering also that we cannot write a lot of information on
the mug.

INSERT INTO me VALUES('coffee','sugar');

Simple, direct, effective. Also, the "me" part makes the mug an active
component of the message.

I have also read people arguing about cultures that add sugar, cream,
water, etc. to their coffee. I must then stand up and represent my
country and say that in Italy, coffee lovers and purists, do not put any
additional ingredients in it, and drink it plain. So we should INSERT
only coffee INTO the mug. :)

Thanks,
Gabriele

--
 Gabriele Bartolini - 2ndQuadrant Italia
 gabriele.bartolini@2ndQuadrant.it | www.2ndQuadrant.it

Re: New mug design

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 30/11/2009 21:54, Gabriele Bartolini wrote:

> Simple, direct, effective. Also, the "me" part makes the mug an active
> component of the message.

+1

> I have also read people arguing about cultures that add sugar, cream,
> water, etc. to their coffee. I must then stand up and represent my
> country and say that in Italy, coffee lovers and purists, do not put any
> additional ingredients in it, and drink it plain. So we should INSERT
> only coffee INTO the mug. :)

+1 for that also - I like my coffee intravenously! :-)

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: New mug design

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 10:54:39PM +0100, Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
> Ciao,
>
> For some reason I can't explain, the more I read and the more I am sure
> that Damien's original idea (Nov 16) is the simplest and most effective
> of all, considering also that we cannot write a lot of information on
> the mug.
>
> INSERT INTO me VALUES('coffee','sugar');
>
> Simple, direct, effective. Also, the "me" part makes the mug an active
> component of the message.
>
> I have also read people arguing about cultures that add sugar, cream,
> water, etc. to their coffee. I must then stand up and represent my
> country and say that in Italy, coffee lovers and purists, do not put any
> additional ingredients in it, and drink it plain. So we should INSERT
> only coffee INTO the mug. :)

All this stuff is way too clever.

    BEGIN;
    SELECT PostgreSQL;
    COMMIT;

gets the point across without demanding interpretation from the
audience :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: New mug design

From
Gabriele Bartolini
Date:
Ciao David,
> All this stuff is way too clever.
>
>     BEGIN;
>     SELECT PostgreSQL;
>     COMMIT;

I like this too. Especially for the community it is a nice message to be
driven (think of the 'commit' verb). I would choose it for t-shirts or
other stuff (stickers, flyers, posters, ...). I just found the INSERT
coffee + sugar thing brilliant and nice for a mug.
> gets the point across without demanding interpretation from the
> audience :)

I agree.

Thanks,
Gabriele

--

On Nov 30, 2009, at 1:54 PM, Gabriele Bartolini wrote:

> Ciao,
>
> For some reason I can't explain, the more I read and the more I am sure that Damien's original idea (Nov 16) is the
simplestand most effective of all, considering also that we cannot write a lot of information on the mug.

> INSERT INTO me VALUES('coffee','sugar');
>
> Simple, direct, effective. Also, the "me" part makes the mug an active component of the message.
>
> I have also read people arguing about cultures that add sugar, cream, water, etc. to their coffee. I must then stand
upand represent my country and say that in Italy, coffee lovers and purists, do not put any additional ingredients in
it,and drink it plain. So we should INSERT only coffee INTO the mug. :)

> Thanks,
> Gabriele
>
> --
> Gabriele Bartolini - 2ndQuadrant Italia
> PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support
> gabriele.bartolini@2ndQuadrant.it | www.2ndQuadrant.it

I also prefer the simple approach.  Like Df and others I like the begin; select PostgreSQL; COMMIT;
better. It is more assertive, and just cute enough, i.e. not too cute.

elein
elein@varlena.com

Re: New mug design

From
Greg Smith
Date:
David Fetter wrote:
>     BEGIN;
>     SELECT PostgreSQL;
>     COMMIT;

ERROR:  column "postgresql" does not exist

You might as well quote it so the mug is working code.  Other than that
bit of nitpicking, I like this simple message a lot better than the more
complicated ones that have been flying by here.

greg@2ndQuadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: New mug design

From
Christophe Pettus
Date:
On Nov 30, 2009, at 4:23 PM, Greg Smith wrote:
> You might as well quote it so the mug is working code.

Personally, I like making it a function, so that it is a nod to our
extensibility, too:

    BEGIN;
    SELECT PostgreSQL();
    COMMIT;

--
-- Christophe Pettus
    xof@thebuild.com

Re: New mug design

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: New mug design

From
Richard Broersma
Date:
On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 8:17 AM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:

>>    BEGIN;
>>    SELECT PostgreSQL;
>>    COMMIT;

> It also "fails to compile" :)
> ERROR:  column "postgresql" does not exist
>
> How about:
>
> BEGIN;
> SELECT 'Postgres';
> COMMIT;

I guess this brings up the question: is PostgreSQL better known for
being technically correct or better known for being esthetically
pleasing?

Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Re: New mug design

From
Chris Browne
Date:
rod@iol.ie ("Raymond O'Donnell") writes:
> On 30/11/2009 21:54, Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
>
>> Simple, direct, effective. Also, the "me" part makes the mug an active
>> component of the message.
>
> +1
>
>> I have also read people arguing about cultures that add sugar, cream,
>> water, etc. to their coffee. I must then stand up and represent my
>> country and say that in Italy, coffee lovers and purists, do not put any
>> additional ingredients in it, and drink it plain. So we should INSERT
>> only coffee INTO the mug. :)
>
> +1 for that also - I like my coffee intravenously! :-)

I'll give "+1" to that, too...

http://www.northarc.com/~ke6isf/coffee-iv.html
http://www.cafepress.ca/coffeeiv
http://cwj.tumblr.com/post/225873576/this-came-up-when-i-did-a-search-for-intravenous
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="linuxfinances.info" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
"Heuristics (from the  French heure, "hour") limit the  amount of time

Re: New mug design

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:26:32 -0800 Christophe Pettus wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2009, at 4:23 PM, Greg Smith wrote:
> > You might as well quote it so the mug is working code.
>
> Personally, I like making it a function, so that it is a nod to our
> extensibility, too:
>
>     BEGIN;
>     SELECT PostgreSQL();
>     COMMIT;

Yes, this idea is way better than the column.

+1

Bye

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: New mug design

From
Greg Stark
Date:
On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 10:10 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:

> All this stuff is way too clever.
>
>    BEGIN;
>    SELECT PostgreSQL;
>    COMMIT;
>
> gets the point across without demanding interpretation from the
> audience :)

+1

I like this punny one where both "SELECT" and "COMMIT" are being used
to imply double-meanings. Personally I wouldn't put the BEGIN there
though, it's distracting, isn't punny, and everyone should run with
autocommit off where you wouldn't need it anyways.

--
greg

Re: New mug design

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 01:29 +0000, Greg Stark wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 10:10 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> >
> > All this stuff is way too clever.
> >
> >    BEGIN;
> >    SELECT PostgreSQL;
> >    COMMIT;
> >
> > gets the point across without demanding interpretation from the
> > audience :)
>
> +1
>
> I like this punny one where both "SELECT" and "COMMIT" are being used
> to imply double-meanings. Personally I wouldn't put the BEGIN there
> though, it's distracting, isn't punny, and everyone should run with
> autocommit off where you wouldn't need it anyways.

Well you could do:

START TRANSACTION:
   SELECT PostgreSQL();
END TRANSACTION;

--

Date:
On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 05:31:00PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 01:29 +0000, Greg Stark wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 10:10 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > All this stuff is way too clever.
> > >
> > >    BEGIN;
> > >    SELECT PostgreSQL;
> > >    COMMIT;
> > >
> > > gets the point across without demanding interpretation from the
> > > audience :)
> >
> > +1
> >
> > I like this punny one where both "SELECT" and "COMMIT" are being used
> > to imply double-meanings. Personally I wouldn't put the BEGIN there
> > though, it's distracting, isn't punny, and everyone should run with
> > autocommit off where you wouldn't need it anyways.
>
> Well you could do:
>
> START TRANSACTION:
>    SELECT PostgreSQL();
> END TRANSACTION;

ETOOMUCHINTERPRETATION

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: New mug design

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 01:29 +0000, Greg Stark wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 10:10 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > All this stuff is way too clever.
> > >
> > >    BEGIN;
> > >    SELECT PostgreSQL;
> > >    COMMIT;
> > >
> > > gets the point across without demanding interpretation from the
> > > audience :)
> >
> > +1
> >
> > I like this punny one where both "SELECT" and "COMMIT" are being used
> > to imply double-meanings. Personally I wouldn't put the BEGIN there
> > though, it's distracting, isn't punny, and everyone should run with
> > autocommit off where you wouldn't need it anyways.
>
> Well you could do:
>
> START TRANSACTION:
>    SELECT PostgreSQL();
> END TRANSACTION;

It could be:

    START TRANSACTION:
      SELECT PostgreSQL();
    COMMIT;

Re: New mug design

From
Greg Stark
Date:
On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 1:40 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> It could be:
>
>        START TRANSACTION:

I don't feel these make it better. The point of the pun is to have
something which looks natural and not out of place but which also
reads as an english sentence telling people they should use Postgres.
START TRANSACTION is imho a compatibility syntax we have to ease
migration from other systems and neither reads naturally as an
postgresish sql command, nor does it have a double-meaning unless it's
saying that people should buy a license or support contract.

An argument could be made for BEGIN WORK -- but even that seems out of
place to me.

--
greg

Re: New mug design

From
Tommy Gildseth
Date:
Greg Stark wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 1:40 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> It could be:
>>
>>        START TRANSACTION:
>
> I don't feel these make it better. The point of the pun is to have
> something which looks natural and not out of place but which also
> reads as an english sentence telling people they should use Postgres.
> START TRANSACTION is imho a compatibility syntax we have to ease
> migration from other systems and neither reads naturally as an
> postgresish sql command, nor does it have a double-meaning unless it's
> saying that people should buy a license or support contract.
>
> An argument could be made for BEGIN WORK -- but even that seems out of
> place to me.

Doesn't work always begin with a coffee?

--
Tommy Gildseth

Re: New mug design

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

--

Date:
On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 08:21:27AM +0100, Tommy Gildseth wrote:
> Greg Stark wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 1:40 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>>> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> It could be:
>>>
>>>        START TRANSACTION:
>>
>> I don't feel these make it better. The point of the pun is to have
>> something which looks natural and not out of place but which also
>> reads as an english sentence telling people they should use
>> Postgres.  START TRANSACTION is imho a compatibility syntax we have
>> to ease migration from other systems and neither reads naturally as
>> an postgresish sql command, nor does it have a double-meaning
>> unless it's saying that people should buy a license or support
>> contract.
>>
>> An argument could be made for BEGIN WORK -- but even that seems out
>> of place to me.
>
> Doesn't work always begin with a coffee?

Not everywhere.  Utah, for one example.  China for another.

What people put in the mug is less on point than what's on it :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: New mug design

From
Chander Ganesan
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:

>>> Uh, how come they put milk in tea only outside the USA? ?As a tea
>>> drinker, I am confused. ?;-)
>>>
>> They put cream in tea inside the USA? Weird.
>>

> No, we don't usually put any dairy products in our tea.
>

>> Anyway, don't forget this was (originally) a discussion about new mugs
>> for PostgreSQL Europe, where cafe au lait is definitely more common.
>>

> True, but could I get a special tea mug?  ;-)
>
>         INSERT INTO pg_mug VALUES('hot water', 'tea', 'sugar');

Perhaps there should be a drink table with a one-to-many relationship to
an ingredients table...since then one could choose their own ingredients
and drink type (and you could add the assorted flavored syrups and
instant coffees in as well).

Maybe a little chalk area on one side where one could write their own
query to populate the drink table, and a referential integrity
constraint to prevent unauthorized ingredients... ;-)

A NOTIFY on insert trigger might be good as well, so one could drink as
soon as the beverage-making transaction was completed, or notify when
hot (though that would preclude ice in the ingredients)

PS..I'm mostly kidding here...

chander

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.

Re: New mug design

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

Any reason why the idea of coverring the mug with a list of psql
shortcuts got shot down?

The vi mug has been very successful for thinkgeek.com ...

--Josh Berkus

Re: New mug design

From
Thom Brown
Date:
2009/12/4 Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>
All,

Any reason why the idea of coverring the mug with a list of psql
shortcuts got shot down?

The vi mug has been very successful for thinkgeek.com ...

--Josh Berkus

I personally couldn't find it useful.  Whenever I would need to know the shortcuts, I'd just type \?.  I don't think vi has such a help system.

Thom

Re: New mug design

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 10:05:05 -0800 Josh Berkus wrote:

> Any reason why the idea of coverring the mug with a list of psql
> shortcuts got shot down?

Why psql? Why not the SQL syntax? Why not PG-secific functions? The
latter one would be way more useful for anyone not using psql at all.

You see: there's a broad field which should be coveres, psql is just a
part of it and a small one.

> The vi mug has been very successful for thinkgeek.com ...

It's just an editor.

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: New mug design

From
Rob Napier
Date:
I'm happy to prepare the artwork for the new mug and was hoping to get it
done before I move interstate in seven days time to avoid a last-minute
rush. Can we get a decision on the text? Can someone summarize the options
so we can get to a conclusion?

Also, do we have a sample of the mug and artwork details from the
manufacturer. They usually provide details of the working area. e.g. How
close can we print to the handle and to the top and bottom of the mug?

Sorry Josh but I don't think a list of statements is appealing. As the man
said: vi is just an editor. When Tom Cruise stands on a PostgreSQL reference
guide, even HE looks tall!

On 5/12/09 7:17 AM, "Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum" <adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 10:05:05 -0800 Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> Any reason why the idea of coverring the mug with a list of psql
>> shortcuts got shot down?
>
> Why psql? Why not the SQL syntax? Why not PG-secific functions? The
> latter one would be way more useful for anyone not using psql at all.
>
> You see: there's a broad field which should be coveres, psql is just a
> part of it and a small one.
>

>> The vi mug has been very successful for thinkgeek.com ...
>
> It's just an editor.

Regards

Rob Napier

Re: New mug design

From
Shane Ambler
Date:
Thom Brown wrote:

>> The vi mug has been very successful for thinkgeek.com ...
>>
> I personally couldn't find it useful.  Whenever I would need to know the
> shortcuts, I'd just type \?.  I don't think vi has such a help system.

Try :help

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Re: New mug design

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 16:01:45 +0000 Thom Brown wrote:

> 2009/11/18 Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail@wars-nicht.de>:
>
> > 3) It is possible to engrave mugs. The logo/text would not be printed
> > on the mug but instead the mug will have a relief with the logo/text in
> > it. Someone interested in this? I will get an offer.
>
> I like the sound of this one.

Here are some pictures:

http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/new/151-BBV-farbige-Gravur-klein.jpg
http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/new/151-Hydroglasur-Cyan-Gravur.jpg
http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/new/151-WM-Cyan-klein.jpg

> > 5) Thermos mugs with imprint.  I will get an offer.
>
> I've never liked Thermos mugs, but I might be alone on this one.

http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/new/thermobecher-delux.jpg
http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/new/thermobecher-hotcup.jpg

Bye

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: New mug design

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
Hi,

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 01:26:28 +0100 Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 16:01:45 +0000 Thom Brown wrote:
>
> > 2009/11/18 Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail@wars-nicht.de>:
> >
> > > 3) It is possible to engrave mugs. The logo/text would not be printed
> > > on the mug but instead the mug will have a relief with the logo/text in
> > > it. Someone interested in this? I will get an offer.
> >
> > I like the sound of this one.
>
> Here are some pictures:
>
> http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/new/151-BBV-farbige-Gravur-klein.jpg
> http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/new/151-Hydroglasur-Cyan-Gravur.jpg
> http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/new/151-WM-Cyan-klein.jpg
>

> > > 5) Thermos mugs with imprint.  I will get an offer.
> >
> > I've never liked Thermos mugs, but I might be alone on this one.
>
> http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/new/thermobecher-delux.jpg
> http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/new/thermobecher-hotcup.jpg

Ok, nobody? Then i think, we stick with normal mugs, nothing special.

Bye

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: New mug design

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 12:27, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
<adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 01:26:28 +0100 Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:

>> > I like the sound of this one.
>>
>> Here are some pictures:
>>
>> http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/new/151-BBV-farbige-Gravur-klein.jpg
>> http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/new/151-Hydroglasur-Cyan-Gravur.jpg
>> http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/new/151-WM-Cyan-klein.jpg

>> > I've never liked Thermos mugs, but I might be alone on this one.
>>
>> http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/new/thermobecher-delux.jpg
>> http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/new/thermobecher-hotcup.jpg
>
> Ok, nobody? Then i think, we stick with normal mugs, nothing special.

Is there a lower limit on how many we need to get? Is there a limit
where they become cheaper?

--

Date:
On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 12:27, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
>>>
>>> http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/new/thermobecher-delux.jpg
>>> http://base.wars-nicht.de/merchandising/new/thermobecher-hotcup.jpg
>>
>> Ok, nobody? Then i think, we stick with normal mugs, nothing special.
>
> Is there a lower limit on how many we need to get? Is there a limit
> where they become cheaper?

Sorry - didn't realise it was a question. Yes, I like the thermos
mugs, and would probably buy one, maybe a couple at the right price.

--
Dave Page

Re: New mug design

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Le vendredi 11 décembre 2009 à 12:46:42, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>
wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 12:27, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum

> >> Ok, nobody? Then i think, we stick with normal mugs, nothing special.
> >
> > Is there a lower limit on how many we need to get? Is there a limit
> > where they become cheaper?
>
> Sorry - didn't realise it was a question. Yes, I like the thermos
> mugs, and would probably buy one, maybe a couple at the right price.

And I forgot the question. Sorry. I like the thermos mugs. I already have one,
but would buy another one, if it is PostgreSQL labeled :)

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: New mug design

From
Jaime Casanova
Date:
On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Chris Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote:

> Alternatively, we could make it generic:
>  INSERT INTO pg_mug (contents)
>    SELECT contents FROM recipes
>      WHERE user_name = current_user();

actually i think this was the better idea... but maybe i shouldn't
talk to purchase one of those and make it come to southamerica must be
very expensive

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova

Re: New mug design

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 19:49:37 -0500 Jaime Casanova wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Chris Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote:
> >
> > Alternatively, we could make it generic:
> >  INSERT INTO pg_mug (contents)
> >    SELECT contents FROM recipes
> >      WHERE user_name = current_user();
> >

> actually i think this was the better idea... but maybe i shouldn't
> talk to purchase one of those and make it come to southamerica must be
> very expensive

Maybe not, if you order a box with 36 mugs ... ;-)

Bye

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: New mug design

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 19:49:37 -0500 Jaime Casanova wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Chris Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Alternatively, we could make it generic:
> > >  INSERT INTO pg_mug (contents)
> > >    SELECT contents FROM recipes
> > >      WHERE user_name = current_user();
> > >

> > actually i think this was the better idea... but maybe i shouldn't
> > talk to purchase one of those and make it come to southamerica must be
> > very expensive
>
> Maybe not, if you order a box with 36 mugs ... ;-)

Getting a box of that size down here is going to be horrendously
expensive.  I think it would be far better to produce them locally.

Re: New mug design

From
Jaime Casanova
Date:
On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

>> > actually i think this was the better idea... but maybe i shouldn't
>> > talk to purchase one of those and make it come to southamerica must be
>> > very expensive
>>
>> Maybe not, if you order a box with 36 mugs ... ;-)
>
> Getting a box of that size down here is going to be horrendously
> expensive.  I think it would be far better to produce them locally.

yeah! i had that idea too, but i prefer if we have a single design no
matter where we make it... at least, that way i don't have to reinvent
the wheel with something that's clearly beyond my abilities... :)

--

Date:
On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 16:23:25 -0500 Jaime Casanova wrote:

> >> Maybe not, if you order a box with 36 mugs ... ;-)
> >
> > Getting a box of that size down here is going to be horrendously
> > expensive.  I think it would be far better to produce them locally.
> >

> yeah! i had that idea too, but i prefer if we have a single design no
> matter where we make it... at least, that way i don't have to reinvent
> the wheel with something that's clearly beyond my abilities... :)

I don't think, we need (and we want) a unique design world-wide.
Just imagine Japan: they have a turtle instead of an elephant.
Other countries will maybe prefer another text.

And we don't need to ship boxes with mugs around the world:
mugs in germany are expensive and shipping is expensive too.

Bye