Re: New mug design - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: New mug design
Date
Re: New mug design
Re: New mug design
Re: New mug design
List pgsql-advocacy
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > You mean:
> >
> >     BEGIN;
> >     CREATE TABLE pg_mug (contents TEXT);
> >     INSERT INTO pg_mug VALUES('coffee', 'sugar', 'cream');
> >     COMMIT;
> >
> > ?
> >
> > I don't think "water" makes sense unless you are making instant coffee,
> > which I think is atypical.
>
> Ummm ... last I checked, that query will fail with too many fields? :)

Yep, only I could inject a bug into a mug.  :-(

The correct query is:

    BEGIN;
    CREATE TABLE pg_mug (contents TEXT);
    INSERT INTO pg_mug VALUES('coffee'), ('sugar'), ('cream');
    COMMIT;

That highlights our multi-value INSERT too.  :-)  With proper wrap it
would be:

    BEGIN;
    CREATE TABLE pg_mug (contents TEXT);
    INSERT INTO pg_mug
      VALUES('coffee'), ('sugar'), ('cream');
    COMMIT;

You can even add stirring:

    BEGIN;
    CREATE TABLE pg_mug (contents TEXT);
    INSERT INTO pg_mug
      VALUES('coffee'), ('sugar'), ('cream');
    -- stir
    SELECT * FROM pg_mug ORDER BY random();
    COMMIT;

FYi, I am just shooting out ideas until someone tells me to stop.  ;-)