Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

From
Gabriele Bartolini
Date:
Hi guys,

   if you want, you can have a look at the draft of the design of the
new PostgreSQL shirts. The designer said that printing on two sides
(front / back) looks much better, although it costs slightly more. If we
want to keep the same price I said in the previous email, we need to
decide which side to print (back or front). Otherwise, I can ask for a
quote (he told me that it is a minimal difference).

   Here is the URL: http://www.gabrielebartolini.it/pgday2007/tshirt.pdf

   Please let me have your thoughts, thanks.

Ciao,
Gabriele

--
Gabriele Bartolini: Web Programmer, IWA/HWG Member
Current Location: Prato, Tuscany, Italy

Re: Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
>   if you want, you can have a look at the draft of the design of the new
> PostgreSQL shirts. The designer said that printing on two sides (front /
> back) looks much better, although it costs slightly more. If we want to
> keep the same price I said in the previous email, we need to decide
> which side to print (back or front). Otherwise, I can ask for a quote
> (he told me that it is a minimal difference).
>
>   Here is the URL: http://www.gabrielebartolini.it/pgday2007/tshirt.pdf
>
>   Please let me have your thoughts, thanks.

I think they are nice but would like to see the following wording below
the elephant on the back:

The World's Most Advanced Open Source Database!
           www.postgresql.org

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Date:
Joshua D. Drake ha scritto:
> The World's Most Advanced Open Source Database!
>            www.postgresql.org

Sure :)

Nice suggestion. I will note it down.

Ciao,
Gabriele

--
Gabriele Bartolini: Web Programmer, IWA/HWG Member
Current Location: Prato, Tuscany, Italy
gabriele.bartolini@gmail.com | www.gabrielebartolini.it
"If I had been born ugly, you would never have heard of Pelé", George Best

Re: Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

From
Dave Page
Date:
Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
>   if you want, you can have a look at the draft of the design of the new
> PostgreSQL shirts. The designer said that printing on two sides (front /
> back) looks much better, although it costs slightly more. If we want to
> keep the same price I said in the previous email, we need to decide
> which side to print (back or front). Otherwise, I can ask for a quote
> (he told me that it is a minimal difference).
>
>   Here is the URL: http://www.gabrielebartolini.it/pgday2007/tshirt.pdf
>
>   Please let me have your thoughts, thanks.

Thats actually the old version of the logo and colours. The newer
versions (the brighter blue gradient, with single line version of
Slonik) can be seen on the website.

Regards, Dave

Re: Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 20:07:05 +0100
Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele.bartolini@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

>    Please let me have your thoughts, thanks.

i don't like the blue color of the shirts, could it be black or white?
A blue elephant on a blue shirt makes not much sense for me ...

Kind regards

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL Usergroup

Re: Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

From
Cornelia Boenigk
Date:
Hi all

 > i don't like the blue color of the shirts, could it be black or white?
 > A blue elephant on a blue shirt makes not much sense for me ...

+1

Conni

Re: Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Wednesday 21 March 2007 16:20, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 20:07:05 +0100
> Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele.bartolini@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> >    Please let me have your thoughts, thanks.
>
> i don't like the blue color of the shirts, could it be black or white?
> A blue elephant on a blue shirt makes not much sense for me ...

FWIW Blue shirts really stand out at tech conferences. (I say, sitting here in
my blue pg anniversery summit t-shirt :-)

--
Robert Treat

Re: Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Robert Treat a écrit :
> On Wednesday 21 March 2007 16:20, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 20:07:05 +0100
>> Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele.bartolini@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>>>    Please let me have your thoughts, thanks.
>> i don't like the blue color of the shirts, could it be black or white?
>> A blue elephant on a blue shirt makes not much sense for me ...
>
> FWIW Blue shirts really stand out at tech conferences. (I say, sitting here in
> my blue pg anniversery summit t-shirt :-)

The blue PG anniversary summit tshirt is awesome. I've seen it on
Devrim, it really looks great. But ads is right : a blue elephant on a
blue tshirt... kind of weird. Perhaps it would be better without the
black outline ?

Regards.

--
Guillaume.
<!-- http://abs.traduc.org/

Re: Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

From
Kevin Hunter
Date:
>>> Please let me have your thoughts, thanks.
>>
>> i don't like the blue color of the shirts, could it be black or white?
>> A blue elephant on a blue shirt makes not much sense for me ...
>
> FWIW Blue shirts really stand out at tech conferences. (I say, sitting here in
> my blue pg anniversery summit t-shirt :-)

I'm no big-wig, but I like the color/design.  I'm planning to buy one
when they're available.  Heck, black also would look good to me, I
think.  And white.  Not saying I'd buy all three, but is there a need to
go with only one color T-shirt?

Kevin

Re: Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

From
"Rajesh Sharma"
Date:
Even I favour, ads and Kevin's suggestion, can be 3 colors, Black, Blue, and White. I'm going to buy'em all!

-- Luckys

Re: Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Robert Treat wrote:
> FWIW Blue shirts really stand out at tech conferences.

Only until the GNOME people got their identically-colored(!) T-shirt at
GUADEC.

I'd still go for it, though.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

From
Susanne Ebrecht
Date:
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 20:07:05 +0100
> Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele.bartolini@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>

>>    Please let me have your thoughts, thanks.
>>

> i don't like the blue color of the shirts, could it be black or white?
> A blue elephant on a blue shirt makes not much sense for me ...

Nobody will wear white t-shirts. Please consider, how many white
t-shirts we still have. They are not good for getting donations. Black
t-shirts of course are great, but must it  always be black? The elephant
on the back side is to big, to wear this t-shirt at office, so why not
another colored t-shirt?
Please consider, the t-shirt is made in Italy, and Italy is one of the
metropolis of fashion. I think they'll look grad because no Italian
fashion maker will make a bad design. Also blue is the PostgreSQL color,
why not blue t-shirts. I am sure you'll surprise how nice they look, if
you see one in reality.

Kind regards,

Susanne

Date:
Kevin Hunter wrote:

>>> i don't like the blue color of the shirts, could it be black or white?
>>> A blue elephant on a blue shirt makes not much sense for me ...
>>>
>> FWIW Blue shirts really stand out at tech conferences. (I say, sitting here in
>> my blue pg anniversery summit t-shirt :-)
>>

> I'm no big-wig, but I like the color/design.  I'm planning to buy one
> when they're available.  Heck, black also would look good to me, I
> think.  And white.  Not saying I'd buy all three, but is there a need to
> go with only one color T-shirt?

Yes more than one:
The first reason of course is, that we couldn't pre-finance more and we
didn't have so much donations less.
The second reason is: we are not a merchandise seller, merchandising is
a nice gimmick but a PostgreSQL booth shouldn't look like a
merchandising booth (like the Debian booth always do). The first and
primary goal of a PostgreSQL booth is to present PostgreSQL.
The third reason is: not all in one year, because then we didn't know
what will we do next year. Every year another color is more effective.
The fourth reason is: we also have plush elephants and mugs and I didn't
know what else. Three or four different article, that is more than enough.

Kind regards,

Susanne

> Kevin

Re: Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

From
"Gabriele Bartolini"
Date:
Hi guys,

   I want to explain why I'd go with the blue:

1) that's the designer's first choice (I trust him)
2) blue is PostgreSQL colour - as well as the Italian National team of
soccer - the Azzurri - just kidding guys!
3) white gets dirty immediately
4) black is too obvious
5) we cannot afford more than a colour t-shirt at the moment
(otherwise we need to produce another 500 shirts to get the same
price)

> Nobody will wear white t-shirts. Please consider, how many white
> t-shirts we still have. They are not good for getting donations. Black
> t-shirts of course are great, but must it  always be black? The elephant
> on the back side is to big, to wear this t-shirt at office, so why not
> another colored t-shirt?

If that's too big I am going to report it to the designer.

> Please consider, the t-shirt is made in Italy, and Italy is one of the
> metropolis of fashion. I think they'll look grad because no Italian
> fashion maker will make a bad design.

Well ... too much pressure now ... :)

> Also blue is the PostgreSQL color,
> why not blue t-shirts. I am sure you'll surprise how nice they look, if
> you see one in reality.

That's the same the designer told me.

I will collect all your thoughts and report them to him.

Thanks.

Ciao,
Gabriele

Re: Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 08:19:03 +0100
Susanne Ebrecht <miracee@miracee.de> wrote:

> Nobody will wear white t-shirts. Please consider, how many white
> t-shirts we still have.

Of course, black shirts are nicer than the white ones. I only found one
person at all who preferred to have a white shirt.

> The elephant on the back side is to big, to wear this t-shirt at
> office, so why not another colored t-shirt?

Where else than at office should most people show, which database
they favour? ;-) I personally like the (black and white) shirts with the
small logo and imprint on the front.

> I think they'll look grad because no Italian fashion maker will make
> a bad design.

Susanne: the shirts are not created by a designer for fashion ;-)

> I am sure you'll surprise how nice they look, if you see one in reality.

I will not be surprised, i've seen the design from Gabriele and i can imagine,
how nice the shirt will look. Ok, maybe i did not make it all clear: the color is
fine for me, but having a blue elephant on a blue shirt looks not very creative
to me: i think, you will even have problems to recognize the elephant on
a greater distance.

Just my 0.02 Euro.

Kind regards

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
 (Ferenc Mantfeld)

Date:
Gabriele Bartolini wrote:

>> Nobody will wear white t-shirts. Please consider, how many white
>> t-shirts we still have. They are not good for getting donations. Black
>> t-shirts of course are great, but must it  always be black? The elephant
>> on the back side is to big, to wear this t-shirt at office, so why not
>> another colored t-shirt?
>
> If that's too big I am going to report it to the designer.

No. The elephant is great. It's a free time shirt. The German shirts
last year were made for office wearing. Only a little logo with "An
elephant never forgets" at the Front. That's ok for consultants or
supporters, which also have costumer contacts and which are overdressed
with a tie. I'll hope, you understand my thoughts.

>> Please consider, the t-shirt is made in Italy, and Italy is one of the
>> metropolis of fashion. I think they'll look grad because no Italian
>> fashion maker will make a bad design.
>
> Well ... too much pressure now ... :)

But it's true. Fashion made in Italy has a very high prestige. Ooops,
PostgreSQL goes nobless :)
We want to kick out oracle, let's start with our outlook. We don't wear
cheap relabeled shirts. No, we wear authentic Itailien shirts :P

Susanne

Date:
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 08:19:03 +0100
> Susanne Ebrecht <miracee@miracee.de> wrote:
>> The elephant on the back side is to big, to wear this t-shirt at
>> office, so why not another colored t-shirt?
>>

> Where else than at office should most people show, which database
> they favour? ;-) I personally like the (black and white) shirts with the
> small logo and imprint on the front.

Have a look at my answer to Gabriele.

>> I think they'll look grad because no Italian fashion maker will make
>> a bad design.
>>

> Susanne: the shirts are not created by a designer for fashion ;-)

Of course they are. He is unknown, but he is a designer of fashion. But
I don't want to discuss this here. :)

>> I am sure you'll surprise how nice they look, if you see one in reality.
>>

> I will not be surprised, i've seen the design from Gabriele and i can imagine,
> how nice the shirt will look. Ok, maybe i did not make it all clear: the color is
> fine for me, but having a blue elephant on a blue shirt looks not very creative
> to me: i think, you will even have problems to recognize the elephant on
> a greater distance.

I'll give you my glassees. :)
Often, that are the simplest methods, that will make  things  ingenious.
Consider, more color == higher price. Blue elephant on blue ground ->
you only need black and white for printing
Per definition, black and white are no color -> you need no color to
print the t-shirt -> cheaper price. :)
I am sure, you will see the elephant with a distance from 100 m.

> Just my 0.02 Euro.

Ok, here is your bill:
http://rechnung.pgug.de/invoice/RgJLrNXvx8MAAEV0wq4.html :P

Susanne

Re: Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

Date:
Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
>    I want to explain why I'd go with the blue:
>
> 1) that's the designer's first choice (I trust him)
> 2) blue is PostgreSQL colour - as well as the Italian National team of
> soccer - the Azzurri - just kidding guys!
> 3) white gets dirty immediately
> 4) black is too obvious
> 5) we cannot afford more than a colour t-shirt at the moment
> (otherwise we need to produce another 500 shirts to get the same
> price)
>
> > Nobody will wear white t-shirts. Please consider, how many white

Uh, actually, I usually wear white t-shirts.  Black t-shirts are too hot
for the Eastern USA in summer, which is usually when I wear t-shirts
(not in the winter).  I would think they would be too hot for Europe
too.  I know geeks normally like black t-shirts, but have never
understood why.

> > Please consider, the t-shirt is made in Italy, and Italy is one of the
> > metropolis of fashion. I think they'll look grad because no Italian
> > fashion maker will make a bad design.
>
> Well ... too much pressure now ... :)

I wasn't going to say anything, but now that someone else has already
said it, I have to agree.  ;-)  I expected something really striking
from Italy.  Brazil and France have produced very attractive t-shirts.

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I know geeks normally like black t-shirts, but have never
> understood why.

Some might suggest that one can get away with washing them less ;-)

Regards, Dave

Date:
> I wasn't going to say anything, but now that someone else has already
> said it, I have to agree.  ;-)  I expected something really striking
> from Italy.  Brazil and France have produced very attractive t-shirts.

Ok. However, I don't think that for a bit more than 3 euro/shirt they
are manufactured in Italy. I will get the information if you are
interested.

Ciao,
Gabriele

Dave Page wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> I know geeks normally like black t-shirts, but have never
>> understood why.

The reason geeks where black t-shirts more:

1. They are slimming and thus hide that you have had too much <insert
junk foo here>

2. They think that even though they don't shower, it will make them sexy

3. They hide stains better

4. Some might suggest that one can get away with washing them less ;-)

/me notes that for the next "you might be a geek if" list.

Do we have a 5 and 6?

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

From
Darcy Buskermolen
Date:
On March 22, 2007 08:00 am, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >> I know geeks normally like black t-shirts, but have never
> >> understood why.
>
> The reason geeks where black t-shirts more:
>
> 1. They are slimming and thus hide that you have had too much <insert
> junk foo here>
>
> 2. They think that even though they don't shower, it will make them sexy
>
> 3. They hide stains better
>
> 4. Some might suggest that one can get away with washing them less ;-)
>
> /me notes that for the next "you might be a geek if" list.
>
> Do we have a 5 and 6?

5. Makes it easier to blend into the background of their parents basement

--
Darcy Buskermolen
Command Prompt, Inc.

Date:
Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
>> I wasn't going to say anything, but now that someone else has already
>> said it, I have to agree.  ;-)  I expected something really striking
>> from Italy.  Brazil and France have produced very attractive t-shirts.
>
> Ok. However, I don't think that for a bit more than 3 euro/shirt they
> are manufactured in Italy. I will get the information if you are
> interested.

I think, if the design is from italy, that it'll be enough for a made in
italy label :)

Ciao,

Susanne

Date:
>> 1. They are slimming and thus hide that you have had too much <insert
>> junk foo here>
>>
>> 2. They think that even though they don't shower, it will make them sexy
>>
>> 3. They hide stains better
>>
>> 4. Some might suggest that one can get away with washing them less ;-)
>>
>> /me notes that for the next "you might be a geek if" list.
>>
>> Do we have a 5 and 6?
>
> 5. Makes it easier to blend into the background of their parents basement

6. Reflects the glow of the monitor in the dark.

Joshua D. Drake

>> Joshua D. Drake
>>
>>> Regards, Dave
>>>
>>> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
>>> TIP 4: Have you searched our list archives?
>>>
>>>                http://archives.postgresql.org

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

From
Gabriele Bartolini
Date:
Hi guys,

   I will ask the designer to prepare another set of drafts. One on a
black shirt and one on a blue shirt. I will ask him to add the following
information in the back/front - as he prefers:

The World's Most Advanced Open Source Database
www.postgresql.org

   Sounds good?

   Double side printing is approximately 10% more expensive per shirt. I
would go with just two colours - for budget reasons. Maybe next time ... :)

Ciao,
Gabriele

--
Gabriele Bartolini: Web Programmer, IWA/HWG Member
Current Location: Prato, Tuscany, Italy
gabriele.bartolini@gmail.com | www.gabrielebartolini.it
"If I had been born ugly, you would never have heard of Pelé", George Best

Re: Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Date:
Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
>   I will ask the designer to prepare another set of drafts. One on a
> black shirt and one on a blue shirt. I will ask him to add the
> following information in the back/front - as he prefers:

Normally, black shirts are more expensive as other colors. Of course you
can try this. You can try it, but I think, only one charge of t-shirts
are enough and why not only blue?

http://www.postgresql.org sounds better. :)

>   Double side printing is approximately 10% more expensive per shirt.
> I would go with just two colours - for budget reasons. Maybe next time
> ... :)

For the german t-shirts, the printer told me, black and white are no
colours, so the t-shirts only have a one colour printing: blue for the
elephant :)

Date:
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

Re: Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

From
Stéphane Schildknecht
Date:
Susanne Ebrecht a écrit :

>> The World's Most Advanced Open Source Database
>> www.postgresql.org
>>
>>   Sounds good?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org sounds better. :)
What about http://www.PostgreSQL.org ?

Stéphane

Re: Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

From
Federico
Date:
On 3/23/07, Stéphane Schildknecht
<stephane.schildknecht@postgresqlfr.org> wrote:
> Susanne Ebrecht a écrit :
> >

> >> The World's Most Advanced Open Source Database
> >> www.postgresql.org
> >>
> >>   Sounds good?
> >
> > http://www.postgresql.org sounds better. :)
> What about http://www.PostgreSQL.org ?

I think that this is better :D

Federico

Re: Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 12:45:41PM +0100, Stéphane Schildknecht wrote:
> Susanne Ebrecht a écrit :
> >

> >> The World's Most Advanced Open Source Database
> >> www.postgresql.org
> >>
> >>   Sounds good?
> >
> > http://www.postgresql.org sounds better. :)
> What about http://www.PostgreSQL.org ?

Why, since the url of the website is http://www.postgresql.org ;-)

IMHO, mixed-case URLs look. eh. really ugly. And we don't use them anywhere
else that I'm aware of.

//Magnus

Date:
Stéphane Schildknecht wrote:
> Susanne Ebrecht a écrit :
>>> The World's Most Advanced Open Source Database
>>> www.postgresql.org
>>>
>>>   Sounds good?
>> http://www.postgresql.org sounds better. :)
> What about http://www.PostgreSQL.org ?

Please no. Capitalised URLs look ridiculous imho.

Regards, Dave.

Dave Page wrote:
> Stéphane Schildknecht wrote:

>>> http://www.postgresql.org sounds better. :)
>> What about http://www.PostgreSQL.org ?
>
> Please no. Capitalised URLs look ridiculous imho.

Indeed! Capitalised letters doesn't look perfect. They look like
printing from stupid windows users, which doesn't know, that URLs
generally are case insensitive.

Date:
Susanne Ebrecht a écrit :
> Dave Page wrote:
>> Stéphane Schildknecht wrote:

>>> What about http://www.PostgreSQL.org ?
>>
>> Please no. Capitalised URLs look ridiculous imho.
>
> Indeed! Capitalised letters doesn't look perfect. They look like
> printing from stupid windows users, which doesn't know, that URLs
> generally are case insensitive.

OK... So ridiculous and "stupid windws user"... I'm afraid that's not a
really good day for me ;-)

It looks also like printing from someone that knows that stupid windows
users will think they do have to capitalize the URL, but knows also that
smart people will know it was just to emphasize the real capitlisation
of the product name :-)

I get my two cents back.

SAS

Re: Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

From
Gabriele Bartolini
Date:
Hi guys,

   here is the modified design for the shirt. I have tried to get
everyone's suggestions and forward them to the designer (trying to leave
some creativity and independence to him). Here is the final result.

   Given that the Italian group is promoting it, we want to give it an
'Italian' sort of touch and we want to give it a go with the blue shirt.
It is also PostgreSQL's colours.

   Here is the second try:

http://www.gabrielebartolini.it/pgday2007/tshirt-2.pdf

   He has also prepared a PGDay t-shirt, just for the event:

http://www.gabrielebartolini.it/pgday2007/tshirt-pgday.pdf

   Thanks.

Ciao,
Gabriele

--

Date:
Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
>   here is the modified design for the shirt. I have tried to get
> everyone's suggestions and forward them to the designer (trying to
> leave some creativity and independence to him). Here is the final result.
>
>   Given that the Italian group is promoting it, we want to give it an
> 'Italian' sort of touch and we want to give it a go with the blue
> shirt. It is also PostgreSQL's colours.
>
>   Here is the second try:
>
> http://www.gabrielebartolini.it/pgday2007/tshirt-2.pdf
>
>   He has also prepared a PGDay t-shirt, just for the event:
>
> http://www.gabrielebartolini.it/pgday2007/tshirt-pgday.pdf

Excellent !!

>   Thanks.
>
> Ciao,
> Gabriele

Re: Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Hi Gabriele,

Gabriele Bartolini a ecrit le 23/03/2007 14:18:
> [...]
>   Here is the second try:
>
> http://www.gabrielebartolini.it/pgday2007/tshirt-2.pdf
>
>   He has also prepared a PGDay t-shirt, just for the event:
>
> http://www.gabrielebartolini.it/pgday2007/tshirt-pgday.pdf

They are so much better than the old one :-D

I love them. Congrats to your designer.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.

Date:
On 3/23/07, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Hi Gabriele,
>
> Gabriele Bartolini a ecrit le 23/03/2007 14:18:
> > [...]
> >   Here is the second try:
> >
> > http://www.gabrielebartolini.it/pgday2007/tshirt-2.pdf
> >
> >   He has also prepared a PGDay t-shirt, just for the event:
> >
> > http://www.gabrielebartolini.it/pgday2007/tshirt-pgday.pdf
> >

> They are so much better than the old one :-D
>
> I love them. Congrats to your designer.

:D
I can't wait to have it ^^
regards
Federico

Re: Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

Date:
Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
>    here is the modified design for the shirt. I have tried to get
> everyone's suggestions and forward them to the designer (trying to leave
> some creativity and independence to him). Here is the final result.
>
>    Given that the Italian group is promoting it, we want to give it an
> 'Italian' sort of touch and we want to give it a go with the blue shirt.
> It is also PostgreSQL's colours.
>
>    Here is the second try:
>
> http://www.gabrielebartolini.it/pgday2007/tshirt-2.pdf

I like the circle text.

Date:
On 22 Mar 2007 at 3:35a -0400, Susanne Ebrecht wrote:
> The first reason of course is, that we couldn't pre-finance more
> and we didn't have so much donations less.

Okay, so perhaps a little late to be asking this question, but I'm
curious, how much are we talking for pre-finance?  How many shirts
are being bought upfront?

Kevin

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>>    here is the modified design for the shirt. I have tried to get
>> everyone's suggestions and forward them to the designer (trying to leave
>> some creativity and independence to him). Here is the final result.
>>
>>    Given that the Italian group is promoting it, we want to give it an
>> 'Italian' sort of touch and we want to give it a go with the blue shirt.
>> It is also PostgreSQL's colours.
>>
>>    Here is the second try:
>>
>> http://www.gabrielebartolini.it/pgday2007/tshirt-2.pdf
>
> I like the circle text.

I actually don't. It puts the www.postgresql.org offcenter and hard to
read. I do however like the "idea" of the circle text.

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Date:
On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 07:53:06AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
> >> Hi guys,
> >>
> >>    here is the modified design for the shirt. I have tried to get
> >> everyone's suggestions and forward them to the designer (trying to leave
> >> some creativity and independence to him). Here is the final result.
> >>
> >>    Given that the Italian group is promoting it, we want to give it an
> >> 'Italian' sort of touch and we want to give it a go with the blue shirt.
> >> It is also PostgreSQL's colours.
> >>
> >>    Here is the second try:
> >>
> >> http://www.gabrielebartolini.it/pgday2007/tshirt-2.pdf
> >
> > I like the circle text.
>
> I actually don't. It puts the www.postgresql.org offcenter and hard to
> read. I do however like the "idea" of the circle text.

I like it too, with the same reservation.

How about having www.postgresql.org underneath PostgreSQL on the front
instead?

(Assuming it's still open for discussion :-P)

//Magnus

Date:
Kevin Hunter wrote:
> On 22 Mar 2007 at 3:35a -0400, Susanne Ebrecht wrote:
>> The first reason of course is, that we couldn't pre-finance more and
>> we didn't have so much donations less.
>
> Okay, so perhaps a little late to be asking this question, but I'm
> curious, how much are we talking for pre-finance?  How many shirts are
> being bought upfront?

We want to buy 500 t-shirts for round about 5 or 6 Euro per shirt. That
are 2500-3000 Euro.
It's the first event from the Italien, and they start with 0 of course.
Also, we will buy blue plush elephants, I can't remember how many (I
guess 1000) but one elephant costs round about 16 Euro. The elephants
also will be shipped to USA.

Do you want to underwrite one of these?
Or do you want to pre finance it?

Susanne

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 07:53:06AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>> I like the circle text.
>>>
>> I actually don't. It puts the www.postgresql.org offcenter and hard to
>> read. I do however like the "idea" of the circle text.
>>

> I like it too, with the same reservation.
>
> How about having www.postgresql.org underneath PostgreSQL on the front
> instead?
>
> (Assuming it's still open for discussion :-P)

I have had the suggestion, "an elephant never forget" underneath
PostgreSQL on the front. But the designer said, it's too full, and I
think, we could trust the designer.
> //Magnus

Re: Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

From
"Milen A. Radev"
Date:
Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
>   here is the modified design for the shirt. I have tried to get
> everyone's suggestions and forward them to the designer (trying to leave
> some creativity and independence to him). Here is the final result.
>
>   Given that the Italian group is promoting it, we want to give it an
> 'Italian' sort of touch and we want to give it a go with the blue shirt.
> It is also PostgreSQL's colours.
>
>   Here is the second try:
>
> http://www.gabrielebartolini.it/pgday2007/tshirt-2.pdf
>
>   He has also prepared a PGDay t-shirt, just for the event:
>
> http://www.gabrielebartolini.it/pgday2007/tshirt-pgday.pdf
>
>   Thanks.

Probably a bit late now but I have a couple of nitpicks:
- http://www.postgresql.org is superfluous (and I suspect it's not a
valid URL also) - make it www.postgresql.org or even postgresql.org
- '... Open Source Database' sounds cool but is unprofessional - should
be '... Open Source DBMS'.

My 2 stotinki.

--
Milen A. Radev

Date:
Milen A. Radev wrote:
> Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>>   here is the modified design for the shirt. I have tried to get
>> everyone's suggestions and forward them to the designer (trying to leave
>> some creativity and independence to him). Here is the final result.
>>
>>   Given that the Italian group is promoting it, we want to give it an
>> 'Italian' sort of touch and we want to give it a go with the blue shirt.
>> It is also PostgreSQL's colours.
>>
>>   Here is the second try:
>>
>> http://www.gabrielebartolini.it/pgday2007/tshirt-2.pdf
>>
>>   He has also prepared a PGDay t-shirt, just for the event:
>>
>> http://www.gabrielebartolini.it/pgday2007/tshirt-pgday.pdf
>>
>>   Thanks.
>>

> Probably a bit late now but I have a couple of nitpicks:
> - http://www.postgresql.org is superfluous (and I suspect it's not a
> valid URL also) - make it www.postgresql.org or even postgresql.org
> - '... Open Source Database' sounds cool but is unprofessional - should
> be '... Open Source DBMS'.

How did you subscribe to this mail list without knowing our URL?
Of course is http://www.postgresql.org a valid URL. It's our main URL.

Non computer scientist, non administrators, non geeks and other people
usually didn't know what a DBMS is. But lots of them know what's a
database.

> My 2 stotinki.

Re: Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 14:18:21 +0100
Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele.bartolini@gmail.com> wrote:

>    here is the modified design for the shirt. I have tried to get
> everyone's suggestions and forward them to the designer (trying to leave
> some creativity and independence to him). Here is the final result.
>
>    Given that the Italian group is promoting it, we want to give it an
> 'Italian' sort of touch and we want to give it a go with the blue shirt.
> It is also PostgreSQL's colours.
>
>    Here is the second try:
>
> http://www.gabrielebartolini.it/pgday2007/tshirt-2.pdf
>
>    He has also prepared a PGDay t-shirt, just for the event:
>
> http://www.gabrielebartolini.it/pgday2007/tshirt-pgday.pdf

I'll take both ;-)

Good design, beside my aversion against the blue/blue, i like the
design and since everyone else seems to love it, i can live with this
decision.

Kind regards

--
                        Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL Usergroup

Re: Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

(1) I'm in favor of the blue fabric because, frankly, I collect 2-3
black or white tshirts per conference and mostly give them away to
charity.  I just don't need more black shirts.  Or white ones.  The
Summit conference shirt is one of my favorite t-shirts because of the color.

(2) I think it would be an OK idea for SPI to finance the initial
printing of t-shirts, with the thought of getting 100 or so to come to
the US as well if shipping/customs isn't prohibitive.  Can other
community members please comment on whether we want to finance t-shirt
production?

--Josh Berkus

Re: Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
I think like the pins, this would be a great conference give-away for donations.  I need another black t-shirt like I need a hole in my head, so yeah... white's nice because it's neutral... but blue would be good as well.

Gavin

(1) I'm in favor of the blue fabric because, frankly, I collect 2-3
black or white tshirts per conference and mostly give them away to
charity.  I just don't need more black shirts.  Or white ones.  The
Summit conference shirt is one of my favorite t-shirts because of the color.

(2) I think it would be an OK idea for SPI to finance the initial
printing of t-shirts, with the thought of getting 100 or so to come to
the US as well if shipping/customs isn't prohibitive.  Can other
community members please comment on whether we want to finance t-shirt
production?

--Josh Berkus

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Draft of design for the new PostgreSQL shirts

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:

Date: