Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and Zend???

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On Friday 10 February 2006 09:53, Ned Lilly wrote:
> Holy moly:
>
> www.businessweek.com/technology/content/feb2006/tc20060209_810527.htm

if nothing else it means that oracle is forcing the postgresql community to close ranks more than ever before.

Ned Lilly wrote:
> Holy moly:
>
> http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/feb2006/tc20060209_810527.htm

It is interesting that they are purchasing companies that almost fully
control the software but give it away free as open source:  Sleepycat,
JBoss, and Zend.  Oracle's purchase months ago of InnoDB used by MySQL
was a similar move.

What they are _not_ getting involved in is software that is community
controlled, like PostgreSQL or Linux, because it much harder to see how
a purchase would allow tight control of the software, resulting in
revenue.

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
"Luke Lonergan"
Date:
Bruce,

On 2/10/06 8:27 AM, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:

> What they are _not_ getting involved in is software that is community
> controlled, like PostgreSQL or Linux, because it much harder to see how
> a purchase would allow tight control of the software, resulting in
> revenue.

True.

I think it's clear they're going after applications again - buying many
proven foundational elements of a software development stack in one gulp.
What I wonder is what their next step might be - did they do this (and
InnoDB) to remove competition?  Or do they expect to somehow monetize a new
stack?

Is Oracle trying to become an open source company?

- Luke

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 11:41, Luke Lonergan wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> On 2/10/06 8:27 AM, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
>
> > What they are _not_ getting involved in is software that is community
> > controlled, like PostgreSQL or Linux, because it much harder to see how
> > a purchase would allow tight control of the software, resulting in
> > revenue.
>
> True.

Or tight control resulting in killing the competition. Even with the
death of great bridge, postgresql kept on going, and I'd say there is no
company currently that has as much sway as great bridge did "way back
when"

> I think it's clear they're going after applications again - buying many
> proven foundational elements of a software development stack in one gulp.
> What I wonder is what their next step might be - did they do this (and
> InnoDB) to remove competition?  Or do they expect to somehow monetize a new
> stack?

My opinion is it's all about eliminating competition. InnoDB and JBoss
don't give them code that is substantially different in a market effect
sense, and sleepycat has only marginal value in the embedded space
compared to the $$ oracle gets in the enterprise rdbms market.  However
killing JBoss would kill a competitor, and getting sleepycat puts an
even tighter grip on mysql. Of course I haven't figured out where
PHP/Zend fits into this... maybe to help make php/mysql less
ubiquitous.

> Is Oracle trying to become an open source company?

At best they are trying to become a services company like IBM, but I
still think they are just trying to slow down competition.

Robert Treat

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
Mike Ellsworth
Date:
Robert Treat wrote:

<Of course I haven't figured out where PHP/Zend fits into this... maybe to help make php/mysql less ubiquitous. >

Just a guess - but it may be related to IBM's Open Ajax initiative.

Presumably, web-apps are a big part of Oracle's future plans.  If they own the better-known power tools, they'll be better able to control the web app "construction process" and help hatch more Salesforce dot com's, which I believe use Oracle.

Next salvo could come from Adobe/Macromedia.  They'll need to enter the fray soon.

I think there is PG lemonade to be made from the lemons.

[...]

Date:
Could Oracle modify PHP and JBoss so they work poorly with open source
databases?

Mike Ellsworth wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:
>
> <Of course I haven't figured out where PHP/Zend fits into this... maybe
> to help make php/mysql less ubiquitous. >
>
> Just a guess - but it may be related to IBM's Open Ajax initiative.
>
> Presumably, web-apps are a big part of Oracle's future plans.  If they
> own the better-known power tools, they'll be better able to control the
> web app "construction process" and help hatch more Salesforce dot com's,
> which I believe use Oracle.
>
> Next salvo could come from Adobe/Macromedia.  They'll need to enter the
> fray soon.
>
> I think there is PG lemonade to be made from the lemons.
>

> >On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 11:41, Luke Lonergan wrote:
> >

> >>Bruce,

> >>True.
> >>

> >Or tight control resulting in killing the competition. Even with the
> >death of great bridge, postgresql kept on going, and I'd say there is no
> >company currently that has as much sway as great bridge did "way back
> >when"
> >

> >>I think it's clear they're going after applications again - buying many
> >>proven foundational elements of a software development stack in one gulp.
> >>What I wonder is what their next step might be - did they do this (and
> >>InnoDB) to remove competition?  Or do they expect to somehow monetize a new
> >>stack?
> >>

> >My opinion is it's all about eliminating competition. InnoDB and JBoss
> >don't give them code that is substantially different in a market effect
> >sense, and sleepycat has only marginal value in the embedded space
> >compared to the $$ oracle gets in the enterprise rdbms market.  However
> >killing JBoss would kill a competitor, and getting sleepycat puts an
> >even tighter grip on mysql. Of course I haven't figured out where
> >PHP/Zend fits into this... maybe to help make php/mysql less
> >ubiquitous.
> >

> >>Is Oracle trying to become an open source company?
> >>

> >At best they are trying to become a services company like IBM, but I
> >still think they are just trying to slow down competition.
> >

> >Robert Treat

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Bruce,

> Could Oracle modify PHP and JBoss so they work poorly with open source
> databases?

Sure.  However, their communities can also fork them.  That's unlikely with
JBoss which is corporate, but PHP is pretty close to forking already.   If
Zend+Oracle tries to lock out MySQL from PHP, you'll see a fork real fast.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Could Oracle modify PHP and JBoss so they work poorly with open source
> databases?

Just read the article, and did I miss something?  Zend != PHP, at least
not like Java == Sun ... PHP is not closed software, so how exactly would
Oracle modify PHP to work poorly with open source databases?

Now, I just checked the PHP5 LICENSE file, and it isn't GPL or BSD, but
the license is held by 'The PHP Group', not by Zend ...

Again, did I miss something that happened recently that put PHP under
Zend's control?

----

Date:
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Bruce,
>
>> Could Oracle modify PHP and JBoss so they work poorly with open source
>> databases?
>
> Sure.  However, their communities can also fork them.  That's unlikely with
> JBoss which is corporate, but PHP is pretty close to forking already.   If
> Zend+Oracle tries to lock out MySQL from PHP, you'll see a fork real fast.

This was kinda my impression too ... I just worried that i might have
missed something 'in the news' recently :(

----

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
Cornelia Boenigk
Date:
Hi

 > Now, I just checked the PHP5 LICENSE file, and it isn't GPL or BSD,
 > but the license is held by 'The PHP Group', not by Zend ...

Zend is the owner of the Zend Engine but not the owner of the PHP code.

Conni

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> > Could Oracle modify PHP and JBoss so they work poorly with open source
> > databases?
>
> Sure.  However, their communities can also fork them.  That's unlikely with
> JBoss which is corporate, but PHP is pretty close to forking already.   If
> Zend+Oracle tries to lock out MySQL from PHP, you'll see a fork real fast.

OK, more realistic question.  What if Oracle creates something like
AJAX, which works with PHP/JBoss, and Oracle, but not with other
databases because those other databases don't have the hooks?  They are
not removing functionality, but adding Oracle-specific stuff.

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
That seems a bit unlikely.  PHP has been moving towards being DB
agnostic.  One of the discussed, though deferred plans for PHP 6 was
to move all non PDO db api's out of the core.

As far as AJAX+Oracle, I'm just wondering what kind of compelling
offering that would be that would coax PHP developers out of the
predominant open source db realm.  If it were to be anything of note,
it couldn't gain much audience if it were Oracle only.  Note that one
of the big initiatives going on at Zend right now is a Zend framework
that has tapped most of the noted php based framework authors out there.

I would guess the play is more in line to derail the Zend
relationship with IBM and the Zend+IBM  DB2 specific offerings.

The Sleepycat purchase seems to be more of the no-brainer boxing
MySQL into a corner.

Zend has commercial offerings, though I think they've struggled to
gain traction since they keep changing up the product offerings.
Last I heard Yahoo! has more of the PHP brain trust than Zend does,
if that helps clarify the impact to PHP any.

Gavin

Date:
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, Cornelia Boenigk wrote:

> Hi
>
>> Now, I just checked the PHP5 LICENSE file, and it isn't GPL or BSD,
>> but the license is held by 'The PHP Group', not by Zend ...
>
> Zend is the owner of the Zend Engine but not the owner of the PHP code.

This is what I thought ... now, what happens if the Zend engine is pulled
out of PHP?  Does that cripple the PHP project, or just inconvience it?

For instance, I know if I don't download/install the Zend Optimizer, and
do a 'phpinfo()', it still lists the Zend Engine itself, so its part of
the *base* PHP build ...

----

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Marc,

> This is what I thought ... now, what happens if the Zend engine is pulled
> out of PHP?  Does that cripple the PHP project, or just inconvience it?
>
> For instance, I know if I don't download/install the Zend Optimizer, and
> do a 'phpinfo()', it still lists the Zend Engine itself, so its part of
> the *base* PHP build ...

Actually, some of the PHP developers a couple years ago wanted to put PHP on
Parrot and abandon the Zend Engine completely.  There was a big showdown at
PHPCon in 2003 or 2004 in which the independant developers battled it out
with Zend and lost.  I think Bruce was there, actually.

So if Oracle+Zend tried to start changing the direction of PHP I think we'd
see the direction of PHP change in short order.  This might be a good thing,
actually.

On the other hand, I am worried about PDO.  Currently I think both of the core
PDO developers are working for Oracle, which could be bad news for real
database agonosticism in the new driver.  Another reason to look at Parrot.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi,

> Actually, some of the PHP developers a couple years ago wanted to put PHP
> on Parrot and abandon the Zend Engine completely.  There was a big showdown
> at PHPCon in 2003 or 2004 in which the independant developers battled it
out
> with Zend and lost.  I think Bruce was there, actually.

http://phplens.com/phpeverywhere/?q=node/view/84

is a part of an interview with Rasmus Lerdorf, about PHP6, Parrot and Zend.

Co-Authors: PL/php, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
Cornelia Boenigk
Date:
Hi Marc

 > For instance, I know if I don't download/install the Zend Optimizer,
 > and do a 'phpinfo()', it still lists the Zend Engine itself, so its
 > part of the *base* PHP build ...

The PHP interpreter is based on Zend Engine, and this is licensed under
a Apache-style license. So PHP would have to fork it.

Conni

Date:
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Bruce,
>>
>>> Could Oracle modify PHP and JBoss so they work poorly with open source
>>> databases?
>>
>> Sure.  However, their communities can also fork them.  That's unlikely with
>> JBoss which is corporate, but PHP is pretty close to forking already.   If
>> Zend+Oracle tries to lock out MySQL from PHP, you'll see a fork real fast.
>
> OK, more realistic question.  What if Oracle creates something like
> AJAX, which works with PHP/JBoss, and Oracle, but not with other
> databases because those other databases don't have the hooks?  They are
> not removing functionality, but adding Oracle-specific stuff.

Then nobody that uses an OSS database will adopt it ... ?

----

Date:
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Gavin M. Roy wrote:

> The Sleepycat purchase seems to be more of the no-brainer boxing MySQL
> into a corner.

I'm not so much worried about MySQL as the other OSS that have used
Berkeley DB as its backend ... stuff like Postfix, Cyrus IMAP, Cyrus
SASL and sendmail come immediately to mind ... what 'alternatives' do they
have?  I know in my case, we have PostgreSQL backing a large portion of
the stuff for Postfix/IMAP/SASL, but not everything has been extended to
allow for 'alternate backends' ... of course, nothing really prevents that
from happening if backed into a corner, but it does create for potential
disruption in the overall OSS community ;(

----

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Marc,
>
> > This is what I thought ... now, what happens if the Zend engine is pulled
> > out of PHP?  Does that cripple the PHP project, or just inconvience it?
> >
> > For instance, I know if I don't download/install the Zend Optimizer, and
> > do a 'phpinfo()', it still lists the Zend Engine itself, so its part of
> > the *base* PHP build ...
>
> Actually, some of the PHP developers a couple years ago wanted to put PHP on
> Parrot and abandon the Zend Engine completely.  There was a big showdown at
> PHPCon in 2003 or 2004 in which the independant developers battled it out
> with Zend and lost.  I think Bruce was there, actually.

I was at PHP International 2003.  I don't think that was the turning
point, but I spent most of my time with the guys who were working on the
PHP/Parrot combination, called Pint:

    http://www.php-mag.net/magphpde/magphpde_article/psecom,id,729,nodeid,21.html

> So if Oracle+Zend tried to start changing the direction of PHP I think we'd
> see the direction of PHP change in short order.  This might be a good thing,
> actually.
>
> On the other hand, I am worried about PDO.  Currently I think both of the core
> PDO developers are working for Oracle, which could be bad news for real
> database agnosticism in the new driver.  Another reason to look at Parrot.

This highlights one of our vulnerabilities.  Oracle bought InnoDB to
attack MySQL, and we don't think we have a similar vulnerability.

But there is so little money made in open source that small amounts of
money (by Oracle standards) can easily gain control over companies that
have embedded themselves in open source projects.  Basically, to the
extent these purchases can be used to harm MySQL, they can be used to
harm us too.

Even if these projects do fork, it helps Oracle because open source has
a fragmented offering, and Oracle sits back and say "We have stable
tools for you".

Just like InnoDB, these seem like no-brainer purchases for Oracle
because they again offer the ability to control and/or hamper open
source.

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and Zend???

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Date:
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> This highlights one of our vulnerabilities.  Oracle bought InnoDB to
> attack MySQL, and we don't think we have a similar vulnerability.
>
> But there is so little money made in open source that small amounts of
> money (by Oracle standards) can easily gain control over companies that
> have embedded themselves in open source projects.  Basically, to the
> extent these purchases can be used to harm MySQL, they can be used to
> harm us too.

How?  What external projects (or companies) do we rely on for our code
base?  As far as I know, we've been very careful about this, with the
biggest one that ever gets mentioned time and again being the whole
readline stuff ...

----

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > This highlights one of our vulnerabilities.  Oracle bought InnoDB to
> > attack MySQL, and we don't think we have a similar vulnerability.
> >
> > But there is so little money made in open source that small amounts of
> > money (by Oracle standards) can easily gain control over companies that
> > have embedded themselves in open source projects.  Basically, to the
> > extent these purchases can be used to harm MySQL, they can be used to
> > harm us too.
>
> How?  What external projects (or companies) do we rely on for our code
> base?  As far as I know, we've been very careful about this, with the
> biggest one that ever gets mentioned time and again being the whole
> readline stuff ...

Ah, it isn't what we rely on, but the tools and languages our users rely
on to make PostgreSQL useful.

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
Florian Weimer
* Bruce Momjian:

>> How?  What external projects (or companies) do we rely on for our code
>> base?  As far as I know, we've been very careful about this, with the
>> biggest one that ever gets mentioned time and again being the whole
>> readline stuff ...
>
> Ah, it isn't what we rely on, but the tools and languages our users rely
> on to make PostgreSQL useful.

But this is still far away from relying on externally licensed access
methods which are developed according to the Cathedral model and whose
zero-cost licenses are copyleft.  Especially if you want to enable
your own customers to build proprietary products using your
technology.

Curiously, the risk for MySQL here is not that Oracle becomes an Open
Source company, but that they license InnoDB and Berkeley DB under
open source licenses only (which would be a heavy blow to other
Sleepycat customers as well, by the way).

Date:
On Sun, 12 Feb 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>
>>> This highlights one of our vulnerabilities.  Oracle bought InnoDB to
>>> attack MySQL, and we don't think we have a similar vulnerability.
>>>
>>> But there is so little money made in open source that small amounts of
>>> money (by Oracle standards) can easily gain control over companies that
>>> have embedded themselves in open source projects.  Basically, to the
>>> extent these purchases can be used to harm MySQL, they can be used to
>>> harm us too.
>>
>> How?  What external projects (or companies) do we rely on for our code
>> base?  As far as I know, we've been very careful about this, with the
>> biggest one that ever gets mentioned time and again being the whole
>> readline stuff ...
>
> Ah, it isn't what we rely on, but the tools and languages our users rely
> on to make PostgreSQL useful.

Ah, okay ... stuff that would not only affect us, but pretty much anyone
using any OSS software on the Internet ... ie. gcc, java, php, perl,
python, ruby, etc ... most of which are in 'the public domain', not in a
commercial one, so it would be fairly difficult for Oracle to "buy them
out from under the community" ...

The thing is, if Oracle were to do a concerted effort to kill any of the
above, the 'bad karma' aspect would definitely backlash against them,
*but*, unless they took them *all* out, ppl would just migrate to one of
the many other options (as painful as it might be to some), or you'd see
alot of projects forking off the 'last stable OSS version' ...

hell, out of the three that we've been talking about from that press
release, the only one taht concerns me is the Sleepycat/Berkeley DB one,
since that is the foundation for *alot* of projects out there ... everyone
has been focusing on 'how this affects MySQL', but aren't looking too
closely at their own usage:

    sendmail / postfix both use it for their various tables
    cyrus imapd uses it for its mail databases
    cyrus sasl2 uses it for its primary authentication database
    spamassassin uses it for its bayes database

according to FreeBSD ports:

    subversion uses it
    openldap server uses it

Now, in alot of cases, the various server(s) also have extensions to allow
for other backends, but, for instance, there are several 'maps' within
postfix that I know haven't been converted to using an SQL backend of any
kind, but still rely on Berkeley DB ...

So, if you are going to be "concerned" about any of Oracle's acquisitions,
one should just look at their own desktop/servers to see how much the
SleepyCat one will potentially affect them :(

----

Date:
On Sun, 12 Feb 2006, Florian Weimer wrote:

> Curiously, the risk for MySQL here is not that Oracle becomes an Open
> Source company, but that they license InnoDB and Berkeley DB under open
> source licenses only (which would be a heavy blow to other Sleepycat
> customers as well, by the way).

Now *that* is a possibility that I hadn't thought of ... so you are
suggesting that Oracle's direction might be to remove the Dual-License in
favor of a purely OSS license for those technologies?  So, for instance,
InnoDB would still be available, but *only* to those that haven't licensed
a copy of MySQL?  I like that one ... :)

----

Date:
* Marc G. Fournier:

> On Sun, 12 Feb 2006, Florian Weimer wrote:
>
>> Curiously, the risk for MySQL here is not that Oracle becomes an
>> Open Source company, but that they license InnoDB and Berkeley DB
>> under open source licenses only (which would be a heavy blow to
>> other Sleepycat customers as well, by the way).
>
> Now *that* is a possibility that I hadn't thought of ... so you are
> suggesting that Oracle's direction might be to remove the Dual-License
> in favor of a purely OSS license for those technologies?

If I were a MySQL customer who needed the dual-license option, I would
be very concerned about this possibility, especially since two
backends in a row have been hit.

> So, for instance, InnoDB would still be available, but *only* to
> those that haven't licensed a copy of MySQL?  I like that one ... :)

I think you mean "available only under the terms of the GPL", and
"licensed a copy of MySQL under terms different from the GPL". 8-)

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
Florian Weimer
Date:
* Marc G. Fournier:

> according to FreeBSD ports:
>
>    subversion uses it
>    openldap server uses it

And the latter is really crucial and they could hardly switch to
anything else without losing credibility.

Sleepycat also has got an impressive customer list:

  <http://www.sleepycat.com/customers/customerlist.html>

Most of these companies already have to deal with Oracle, though. 8-/

> So, if you are going to be "concerned" about any of Oracle's
> acquisitions, one should just look at their own desktop/servers to see
> how much the SleepyCat one will potentially affect them :(

I'm running a custom-written database on top of Berkeley DB (which I
plan to migrate to PostgreSQL for the sake of ad-hoc queries), and I'm
not *that* concerned.  I'm using Sleepycat's copyleft licensing
option, and nobody can take that copy away from me.  Your mail servers
are probably similar: the copyleft license you already have is good
enough.

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
"Richard P. Welty"
Date:
Marc G. Fournier writes:
>> according to FreeBSD ports:

>>    subversion uses it

berkeley db is deprecated for subversion. it was proving unreliable
in the application and there's a native representation now which is
prefered. my subversion repositories are all in the new format, bdb
repositories are prone to random unrecoverable corruption problems.

richard
--
Richard P. Welty
rwelty@averillpark.net                 518-269-8232

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
"Reko Turja"
Date:
> I'm using Sleepycat's copyleft licensing
> option, and nobody can take that copy away from me.  Your mail servers
> are probably similar: the copyleft license you already have is good
> enough.

It think the GNU licensing has already been once revoked from bottom up
in US court of law and that might be used as preliminary case if Oracle
wants to press the issue. BSD-licensing is harder to hit that way, but
GPL believability in OSS might be hit hard.

(the pointers to the case in question can be found somewhere on FreeBSD
website - topic was comparation of BSD and GPL licenses)

-Reko

Date:
On Feb 12, 2006, at 9:09 PM, Reko Turja wrote:

>> I'm using Sleepycat's copyleft licensing
>> option, and nobody can take that copy away from me.  Your mail
>> servers
>> are probably similar: the copyleft license you already have is good
>> enough.

> It think the GNU licensing has already been once revoked from
> bottom up in US court of law and that might be used as preliminary
> case if Oracle wants to press the issue. BSD-licensing is harder to
> hit that way, but GPL believability in OSS might be hit hard.

i've not heard this before about GPL and find it a little hard to
believe that something of this importance could happen without
becoming common knowledge. i'm not a huge fan of the GPL, but this
sounds somewhat fudish as presented.

> (the pointers to the case in question can be found somewhere on
> FreeBSD website - topic was comparation of BSD and GPL licenses)

i think you need to provide these. the freebsd website
is quite large.

richard
--

Date:
On Sun, 12 Feb 2006, Richard P. Welty wrote:

> On Feb 12, 2006, at 9:09 PM, Reko Turja wrote:
>
>>> I'm using Sleepycat's copyleft licensing
>>> option, and nobody can take that copy away from me.  Your mail servers
>>> are probably similar: the copyleft license you already have is good
>>> enough.
>
>> It think the GNU licensing has already been once revoked from bottom up in
>> US court of law and that might be used as preliminary case if Oracle wants
>> to press the issue. BSD-licensing is harder to hit that way, but GPL
>> believability in OSS might be hit hard.
>
> i've not heard this before about GPL and find it a little hard to
> believe that something of this importance could happen without
> becoming common knowledge. i'm not a huge fan of the GPL, but this
> sounds somewhat fudish as presented.

"The GPL explicitly disallows revoking the license. It has occurred ,
however, that a company (Mattel) purchased a GPL copyright (cphack),
revoked the entire copyright, went to court, and prevailed [2]. That is,
they legally revoked the entire distribution and all derivative works
based on the copyright. Whether this could happen with a larger and more
dispersed distribution is an open question; there is also some confusion
regarding whether the software was really under the GPL."
   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/bsdl-gpl/license-cannot.html

Here is something about it, but nothing about Mattel getting it revoked:

And the [2] link above points to:

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/03/28/cyberpatrol.mirrors/

Not 100% certain how the FreeBSD folks intepreted this as 'legally revoked
the entire distribution ..." though, I'm not too sure ...

----

Date:
On Feb 12, 2006, at 10:28 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Here is something about it, but nothing about Mattel getting it
> revoked:
>
> http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,35226,00.html
>
> And the [2] link above points to:
>
> http://archives.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/03/28/cyberpatrol.mirrors/
>
> Not 100% certain how the FreeBSD folks intepreted this as 'legally
> revoked the entire distribution ..." though, I'm not too sure ...

ok, now i have enough to google on. i did find the followup to the wired
article here, which indicates that the judge's actual ruling was vague
and confusing:

http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,35258,00.html

and the following which suggests that parts of cphack were
not properly noticed as GPL:

http://www.topgold.com/training/webcourse/handouts/eff/cphack.html

so on the whole, i think that the lessons to be drawn from the
case may not be those that the freebsd.org authors want you to take
from it.

richard
--
Richard P. Welty
rwelty@averillpark.net                 518-269-8232

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
Florian Weimer
Date:
* Richard P. Welty:

> Marc G. Fournier writes:
>>> according to FreeBSD ports:
>
>>>    subversion uses it
>
> berkeley db is deprecated for subversion.

No, it's not.  Go read the documentation.

> it was proving unreliable in the application

People in the field couldn't administrate it people because they
failed to grok the Berkeley DB documentation.  This is only partly
Berkeley DB's fault, of course, but some blame has to be put on the
administrators, too.

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
Florian Weimer
Date:
* Marc G. Fournier:

> "The GPL explicitly disallows revoking the license. It has occurred ,
> however, that a company (Mattel) purchased a GPL copyright (cphack),
> revoked the entire copyright, went to court, and prevailed [2]. That
> is, they legally revoked the entire distribution and all derivative
> works based on the copyright. Whether this could happen with a larger
> and more dispersed distribution is an open question; there is also
> some confusion regarding whether the software was really under the
> GPL."
>   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/bsdl-gpl/license-cannot.html

Nice spin indeed.  The software in question was of questionable
legality in the first place.  Without reading the actual court ruling,
we can't know if this was a factor in the ruling.  Furthermore, it can
only affect distribution, not use (= running) of copies you already
have.

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 04:34:23PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> The thing is, if Oracle were to do a concerted effort to kill any of the
> above, the 'bad karma' aspect would definitely backlash against them,
> *but*, unless they took them *all* out, ppl would just migrate to one of
> the many other options (as painful as it might be to some), or you'd see
> alot of projects forking off the 'last stable OSS version' ...

I think Oracle could do everything possible to screw OSS software and it
would make barely a blip on their income statement. Sure, geeks all over
would get seriously pissed-off, but those are not the folks who make the
Oracle purchasing decisions (certainly not the big ones anyway).

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
Jeff Trout
Date:
On Feb 13, 2006, at 1:01 PM, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 04:34:23PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> The thing is, if Oracle were to do a concerted effort to kill any
>> of the
>> above, the 'bad karma' aspect would definitely backlash against them,
>> *but*, unless they took them *all* out, ppl would just migrate to
>> one of
>> the many other options (as painful as it might be to some), or
>> you'd see
>> alot of projects forking off the 'last stable OSS version' ...
>
> I think Oracle could do everything possible to screw OSS software
> and it
> would make barely a blip on their income statement. Sure, geeks all
> over
> would get seriously pissed-off, but those are not the folks who
> make the
> Oracle purchasing decisions (certainly not the big ones anyway).

I'm sure oracle isn't too concerned about their public image.
Look at the PeopleSoft fiasco. They didn't care. Ellison decided he
wanted them
and by golly, he did.

"We're the phone company, and we don't care"
--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when scrappy@postgresql.org ("Marc G. Fournier") would write:
> On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>> This highlights one of our vulnerabilities.  Oracle bought InnoDB to
>> attack MySQL, and we don't think we have a similar vulnerability.
>>
>> But there is so little money made in open source that small amounts
>> of money (by Oracle standards) can easily gain control over
>> companies that have embedded themselves in open source projects.
>> Basically, to the extent these purchases can be used to harm MySQL,
>> they can be used to harm us too.
>
> How?  What external projects (or companies) do we rely on for our code
> base?  As far as I know, we've been very careful about this, with the
> biggest one that ever gets mentioned time and again being the whole
> readline stuff ...

PostgreSQL may not itself directly rely on external projects.

But people *using* it have external dependancies.

- Perl users usually depend on DBI; an "attack" on DBI could make
  PostgreSQL "less usable" for them.

- PHP users depend on the drivers integrated into the PHP "stack;"
  if Oracle gains control over organizations deeply involved in
  determining what is in that stack, that can be bad news for
  "all databases other than Oracle."

The PHP situation is the characteristic one to watch, as that is the
one which Oracle is influencing...
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'gmail.com';
http://linuxfinances.info/info/lsf.html

Re: Oracle buying^W bought Sleepycat and OSBC news

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
Sitting on the Oraocle table at OSBC this morning was a press release
announcing that they just bought sleepycat.
http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/02/14/75352_HNoraclebuyssleepycat_1.html

In other news, Sun has open-sourced their latest CPU
(http://opensparc.net) and EDB gave a brief presentation.

Sun's COO, Jonathan Schwartz (holy cow he's young) gave a keynote, and
one of the more interesting things he mentioned was that open source
enters organizations from the ground up; individual users deciding to
use software, not corporate edicts.

How does that relate to PostgreSQL? It becomes a matter of: what are we
doing to entice developers to choose PostgreSQL over some other
database, especially open source developers? As an example, think of how
many businesses now have MySQL installed on at least one machine in
order to support bugzilla?

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
Kaare Rasmussen
Date:
> - Perl users usually depend on DBI; an "attack" on DBI could make
>   PostgreSQL "less usable" for them.

How do you see an attack on DBI could be possible? AFAIK DBI has the same
license as Perl, is released on CPAN and i behaving like any other CPAN
module.

--

Med venlig hilsen
Kaare Rasmussen, Jasonic

Jasonic                 Telefon: +45 3816 2582
Nordre Fasanvej 12
2000 Frederiksberg      Email: kaare@jasonic.dk

Date:
The world rejoiced as kaare@jasonic.dk (Kaare Rasmussen) wrote:
>> - Perl users usually depend on DBI; an "attack" on DBI could make
>>   PostgreSQL "less usable" for them.
>
> How do you see an attack on DBI could be possible? AFAIK DBI has the same
> license as Perl, is released on CPAN and i behaving like any other CPAN
> module.

If Oracle hired off all the people that have worked on the DBI
implementation, that would make it troublesome for a team to emerge to
continue to support it.  There would be a "learning curve" period, at
the very least...
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'gmail.com';
http://linuxfinances.info/info/lsf.html
Rules of the  Evil Overlord #43. "I will maintain  a healthy amount of
skepticism when  I capture the beautiful  rebel and she  claims she is
attracted  to my  power  and good  looks  and will  gladly betray  her
companions if I just let her in on my plans."
<http://www.eviloverlord.com/>

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
On 2/15/06, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote:
The world rejoiced as kaare@jasonic.dk (Kaare Rasmussen) wrote:
>> - Perl users usually depend on DBI; an "attack" on DBI could make
>>   PostgreSQL "less usable" for them.
>
> How do you see an attack on DBI could be possible? AFAIK DBI has the same
> license as Perl, is released on CPAN and i behaving like any other CPAN
> module.

If Oracle hired off all the people that have worked on the DBI
implementation, that would make it troublesome for a team to emerge to
continue to support it.  There would be a "learning curve" period, at
the very least...

It's nice that this was mentioned because it's true with all open source projects regardless of the license.  Sure, PostgreSQL's IP can't be bought and used for ransom (like GPL'd stuff), but a commercial company hiring ALL the developers would certainly put some control restrictions on the open source project.  Of course, anyone that wasn't hired and remained with the open source project could probably make a killing in support and contributions :)

The GPL, while nice in its intent, sucks for businesses.  This is especially true when companies like MySQL aren't responsible and base a majority of their product on a ton of IP they don't own.  Who gets screwed?  It's actually MySQL's customers.  MySQL could go out of business, oh well.  But the customers that wanted to ship an embedded MySQL now have to bow down to Oracle whether it's directly or indirectly.

-Jonah

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
Chris Browne
Date:
jonah.harris@gmail.com ("Jonah H. Harris") writes:
> The GPL, while nice in its intent, sucks for businesses.

It _doesn't_ suck if you are the business that owns the entirety of
the code.  If you are *that* business, you have plenty O choices,
pointedly including:

 - Selling under other licenses to make mucho dinero
 - Selling all your rights to Oracle for a big bundle of money

Those factors definitely *don't* suck if you are the owner of the
code.

> This is especially true when companies like MySQL aren't responsible
> and base a majority of their product on a ton of IP they don't own.
> Who gets screwed?  It's actually MySQL's customers.  MySQL could go
> out of business, oh well.  But the customers that wanted to ship an
> embedded MySQL now have to bow down to Oracle whether it's directly
> or indirectly.

Of course, the GPL evidently can "suck quite a bit" if you're a
customer, and don't have any ownership of the code...
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "cbbrowne.com")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/languages.html

Date:
On 2/15/06, Chris Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote:
jonah.harris@gmail.com ("Jonah H. Harris") writes:
> The GPL, while nice in its intent, sucks for businesses.

It _doesn't_ suck if you are the business that owns the entirety of
the code.  If you are *that* business, you have plenty O choices,
pointedly including:

- Selling under other licenses to make mucho dinero
- Selling all your rights to Oracle for a big bundle of money

Those factors definitely *don't* suck if you are the owner of the
code.

True.  I was relating to customers of companies using the GPL; Although, thanks for clarifying it for everyone.

-Jonah

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
> Those factors definitely *don't* suck if you are the owner of the
> code.

Keep in mind that the GPL has enabled mySQL to make 20-30 million
bucks in the last year.

And although we may think that MySQL sucks and we do have lots
of converts. I know many, many businesses that are perfectly happy
with it.

Nobody in the PostgreSQL community is even close to make 20-30 million
bucks ON PostgreSQL.

Joshua D. Drake

Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
"Luke Lonergan"
Date:
Josh,

On 2/15/06 9:21 AM, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Nobody in the PostgreSQL community is even close to make 20-30 million
> bucks ON PostgreSQL.

Speak for yourself ;-)

Our aim to get there and preserve the community in a sustainable way.

- Luke

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
devrim@projects.commandprompt.com
Date:
Hi,

> Actually, some of the PHP developers a couple years ago wanted to put PHP
> on
> Parrot and abandon the Zend Engine completely.  There was a big showdown
> at
> PHPCon in 2003 or 2004 in which the independant developers battled it out
> with Zend and lost.  I think Bruce was there, actually.

http://phplens.com/phpeverywhere/?q=node/view/84)

is a part of an interview with Rasmus Lerdorf, about PHP6, Parrot and Zend.

Co-Authors: PL/php, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
bostic@sleepycat.com
Date:
I'm not aware of any repeatable database corruption related to
Subversion and Berkeley DB, ever. We've seen reports of corrupted
databases in the past, but those were isolated events, caused either by
hardware failure or configuration errors (such as placing BDB database
environments on NFS volumes).

The issue that did come up fairly often is the situation where the
Berkeley DB database would become inaccessible because the Subversion
server exited holding BDB handles/mutexes due to an unexpected system
or application failure. This situation required manual intervention
(running database recovery) by the server administrator.

The Berkeley DB 4.X release includes additional functionality intended
to simplify BDB usage in multi-process applications like Subversion.
In addition, Sleepycat Software funded Subversion developers to modify
Subversion to take advantage of that new functionality.  The BDB 4.X
releases are already public, and I expect the Subversion changes to be
part of the svn-1.3.1 release.

With the release of a reasonable integration between Subversion and
Berkeley DB, I believe the reports of Subversion problems with BDB will
finally be resolved.

To be clear, the problem was never with Berkeley DB or, for that
matter, with Subversion -- the problem was they were incorrectly
integrated.

Regards,
--keith

Keith Bostic                    bostic@sleepycat.com
Sleepycat Software Inc.         keithbosticim (Yahoo IM)
118 Tower Rd.                   +1-781-259-3139
Lincoln, MA 01773               http://www.sleepycat.com

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
Chris Travers
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Gavin M. Roy wrote:
>
>> The Sleepycat purchase seems to be more of the no-brainer boxing
>> MySQL into a corner.
>

> I'm not so much worried about MySQL as the other OSS that have used
> Berkeley DB as its backend ... stuff like Postfix, Cyrus IMAP, Cyrus
> SASL and sendmail come immediately to mind ... what 'alternatives' do
> they have?  I know in my case, we have PostgreSQL backing a large
> portion of the stuff for Postfix/IMAP/SASL, but not everything has
> been extended to allow for 'alternate backends' ... of course, nothing
> really prevents that from happening if backed into a corner, but it
> does create for potential disruption in the overall OSS community ;(

But these don't have the problems that MySQL does.  They can stay with
older versions, build a community to fork BDB under a similar OSS-only
license, etc.

MySQL doesn't have that luxury because they have opted to go the
dual-licensing way.  In essence they are dependant on commercial
agreements with Sleepycate, InnoDB, etc. to offer functionality to
customers using their software with non-Free code.

MySQL could still re-release the client libs LGPL of course and that
might get them out of it but that would be a painful transition.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Date:
On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 01:29:32PM -0800, Chris Travers wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Gavin M. Roy wrote:
> >
> >>The Sleepycat purchase seems to be more of the no-brainer boxing
> >>MySQL into a corner.
> >

> >I'm not so much worried about MySQL as the other OSS that have used
> >Berkeley DB as its backend ... stuff like Postfix, Cyrus IMAP, Cyrus
> >SASL and sendmail come immediately to mind ... what 'alternatives' do
> >they have?  I know in my case, we have PostgreSQL backing a large
> >portion of the stuff for Postfix/IMAP/SASL, but not everything has
> >been extended to allow for 'alternate backends' ... of course, nothing
> >really prevents that from happening if backed into a corner, but it
> >does create for potential disruption in the overall OSS community ;(
> >
> But these don't have the problems that MySQL does.  They can stay with
> older versions, build a community to fork BDB under a similar OSS-only
> license, etc.
>
> MySQL doesn't have that luxury because they have opted to go the
> dual-licensing way.  In essence they are dependant on commercial
> agreements with Sleepycate, InnoDB, etc. to offer functionality to
> customers using their software with non-Free code.
>
> MySQL could still re-release the client libs LGPL of course and that
> might get them out of it but that would be a painful transition.

Just in case anyone hasn't heard; MySQL bought 2 folks from Firebird:
http://firebird.sourceforge.net/

Date:
On Friday 24 February 2006 18:45, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 01:29:32PM -0800, Chris Travers wrote:
> > Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > >
> > >I'm not so much worried about MySQL as the other OSS that have used
> > >Berkeley DB as its backend ... stuff like Postfix, Cyrus IMAP, Cyrus
> > >SASL and sendmail come immediately to mind ... what 'alternatives' do
> > >they have?  I know in my case, we have PostgreSQL backing a large
> > >portion of the stuff for Postfix/IMAP/SASL, but not everything has
> > >been extended to allow for 'alternate backends' ... of course, nothing
> > >really prevents that from happening if backed into a corner, but it
> > >does create for potential disruption in the overall OSS community ;(
> >
> > But these don't have the problems that MySQL does.  They can stay with
> > older versions, build a community to fork BDB under a similar OSS-only
> > license, etc.
> >
> > MySQL doesn't have that luxury because they have opted to go the
> > dual-licensing way.  In essence they are dependant on commercial
> > agreements with Sleepycate, InnoDB, etc. to offer functionality to
> > customers using their software with non-Free code.
> >
> > MySQL could still re-release the client libs LGPL of course and that
> > might get them out of it but that would be a painful transition.
>
> Just in case anyone hasn't heard; MySQL bought 2 folks from Firebird:
> http://firebird.sourceforge.net/

You gotta spend that series c money somehow...
http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/press-release/release_2006_10.html

--
Robert Treat

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
"Guido Barosio"
Date:
fyi

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-02-2006/jw-0227-iw-opensource.html

On 2/25/06, Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
On Friday 24 February 2006 18:45, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 01:29:32PM -0800, Chris Travers wrote:
> > Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > >
> > >I'm not so much worried about MySQL as the other OSS that have used
> > >Berkeley DB as its backend ... stuff like Postfix, Cyrus IMAP, Cyrus
> > >SASL and sendmail come immediately to mind ... what 'alternatives' do
> > >they have?  I know in my case, we have PostgreSQL backing a large
> > >portion of the stuff for Postfix/IMAP/SASL, but not everything has
> > >been extended to allow for 'alternate backends' ... of course, nothing
> > >really prevents that from happening if backed into a corner, but it
> > >does create for potential disruption in the overall OSS community ;(
> >
> > But these don't have the problems that MySQL does.  They can stay with
> > older versions, build a community to fork BDB under a similar OSS-only
> > license, etc.
> >
> > MySQL doesn't have that luxury because they have opted to go the
> > dual-licensing way.  In essence they are dependant on commercial
> > agreements with Sleepycate, InnoDB, etc. to offer functionality to
> > customers using their software with non-Free code.
> >
> > MySQL could still re-release the client libs LGPL of course and that
> > might get them out of it but that would be a painful transition.
>
> Just in case anyone hasn't heard; MySQL bought 2 folks from Firebird:
> http://firebird.sourceforge.net/

You gotta spend that series c money somehow...
http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/press-release/release_2006_10.html

--
Robert Treat

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

--
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  .
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  .

Date:
On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 11:25:32AM +0000, Guido Barosio wrote:
> fyi
>
> http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-02-2006/jw-0227-iw-opensource.html

"Each of the top three relational database vendors—IBM, Microsoft,
and Oracle—now offers a version of its flagship product for
download, free of charge."

Man, have the 1984 history re-writers been at it, or are people just
clueless? Oracle has allowed free downloads since at least 9i. And
what's more, those were uncrippled versions. You just couldn't use them
legally in production.

Date:
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 11:25:32AM +0000, Guido Barosio wrote:
>
>> fyi
>>
>> http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-02-2006/jw-0227-iw-opensource.html
>>

> "Each of the top three relational database vendors—IBM, Microsoft,
> and Oracle—now offers a version of its flagship product for
> download, free of charge."
>
> Man, have the 1984 history re-writers been at it, or are people just
> clueless? Oracle has allowed free downloads since at least 9i. And
> what's more, those were uncrippled versions. You just couldn't use them
> legally in production.

They probably mean free to use in production.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From
Darcy Buskermolen
Date:
On Monday 27 February 2006 17:14, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 11:25:32AM +0000, Guido Barosio wrote:
> >> fyi
> >>
> >> http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-02-2006/jw-0227-iw-opensource.html
> >
> > "Each of the top three relational database vendors—IBM, Microsoft,
> > and Oracle—now offers a version of its flagship product for
> > download, free of charge."
> >
> > Man, have the 1984 history re-writers been at it, or are people just
> > clueless? Oracle has allowed free downloads since at least 9i. And
> > what's more, those were uncrippled versions. You just couldn't use them
> > legally in production.
>
> They probably mean free to use in production.

they need to be linking against -ldwimnwis  in that event.

> Joshua D. Drake

Darcy Buskermolen
Wavefire Technologies Corp.

http://www.wavefire.com
ph: 250.717.0200
fx: 250.763.1759

Date:
On 2/28/06, Darcy Buskermolen <darcy@wavefire.com> wrote:
they need to be linking against -ldwimnwis  in that event.

Gotta love that library :)

--
Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation

Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and (IANAL)

From
Chris Travers
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> "The GPL explicitly disallows revoking the license. It has occurred ,
> however, that a company (Mattel) purchased a GPL copyright (cphack),
> revoked the entire copyright, went to court, and prevailed [2]. That
> is, they legally revoked the entire distribution and all derivative
> works based on the copyright. Whether this could happen with a larger
> and more dispersed distribution is an open question; there is also
> some confusion regarding whether the software was really under the GPL."
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/bsdl-gpl/license-cannot.html

Some cursory research into this indicates that it was a case where
software licenses were never an issue.  Indeed, Mattel as far as I can
see never acquired cphack.  There are also questions whether hte
software was validly released under the GPL.  However, the 1st Circuit
ruled that nonparties are not bound by the final injunction without
additional lawsuits.

Here is some more info:
http://cphack.robinlionheart.com/

> Not 100% certain how the FreeBSD folks intepreted this as 'legally
> revoked the entire distribution ..." though, I'm not too sure ...

The final injunction sort of read that way, but the first circuit
narrowed it because if a nonparty could not challenge it, they could not
be bound by it.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Attachment

UN FAO Chooses MySQL over Postgres!?!?!

From
Joshua Kramer
Date:
Oh, my.... I wonder how they came to these conclusions!

http://linuxpr.com/releases/8687.html

"With the release of MySQL 5.0 and its new features -- including stored
procedures, triggers and views -- the reasons why we were looking at
PostgreSQL no longer existed," continued Vertucci. "MySQL proved to be
easier to set up, easier to manage and has become a widely-deployed
standard in the developing countries, helping governments to achieve
significant costs savings, without sacrificing database speed and power."

Cheers,
Josh

Re: UN FAO Chooses MySQL over Postgres!?!?!

From
"Guido Barosio"
Date:
"FAO has also subscribed to the MySQL Network subscription offering,
which includes certified software, production support and proactive
advisor services."

It was a commercial move, where variables such as production support
and advisor services  directly from MySQL AB count, though.

g.-

On 5/2/06, Joshua Kramer <josh@bitbuckets.com> wrote:

> Oh, my.... I wonder how they came to these conclusions!
>
> http://linuxpr.com/releases/8687.html
>
> "With the release of MySQL 5.0 and its new features -- including stored
> procedures, triggers and views -- the reasons why we were looking at
> PostgreSQL no longer existed," continued Vertucci. "MySQL proved to be
> easier to set up, easier to manage and has become a widely-deployed
> standard in the developing countries, helping governments to achieve
> significant costs savings, without sacrificing database speed and power."
>
> Cheers,
> Josh

Guido Barosio
-----------------------
http://www.globant.com
guido.barosio@globant.com

Date:
Joshua Kramer wrote:

> Oh, my.... I wonder how they came to these conclusions!

The MySQL sales staff.

                     http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: UN FAO Chooses MySQL over Postgres!?!?!

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:
On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 15:39 -0400, Joshua Kramer wrote:
> "With the release of MySQL 5.0 and its new features -- including
> stored procedures, triggers and views -

PostgreSQL has all of them for years, they are well tested and advanced
features. I would not use MySQL just because of new features...

Anyway, as people stated out, this seems a MySQL's press release.

Re: UN FAO Chooses MySQL over Postgres!?!?!

From
Ned Lilly
Date:
Yeah, but the Oil for Food Program used Oracle ;-)

Ned Lilly wrote:
> Yeah, but the Oil for Food Program used Oracle ;-)

Ouch.