Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> This highlights one of our vulnerabilities.  Oracle bought InnoDB to
> attack MySQL, and we don't think we have a similar vulnerability.
>
> But there is so little money made in open source that small amounts of
> money (by Oracle standards) can easily gain control over companies that
> have embedded themselves in open source projects.  Basically, to the
> extent these purchases can be used to harm MySQL, they can be used to
> harm us too.

How?  What external projects (or companies) do we rely on for our code
base?  As far as I know, we've been very careful about this, with the
biggest one that ever gets mentioned time and again being the whole
readline stuff ...

----