Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jeff Trout
Subject Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Feb 13, 2006, at 1:01 PM, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 04:34:23PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> The thing is, if Oracle were to do a concerted effort to kill any
>> of the
>> above, the 'bad karma' aspect would definitely backlash against them,
>> *but*, unless they took them *all* out, ppl would just migrate to
>> one of
>> the many other options (as painful as it might be to some), or
>> you'd see
>> alot of projects forking off the 'last stable OSS version' ...
>
> I think Oracle could do everything possible to screw OSS software
> and it
> would make barely a blip on their income statement. Sure, geeks all
> over
> would get seriously pissed-off, but those are not the folks who
> make the
> Oracle purchasing decisions (certainly not the big ones anyway).

I'm sure oracle isn't too concerned about their public image.
Look at the PeopleSoft fiasco. They didn't care. Ellison decided he
wanted them
and by golly, he did.

"We're the phone company, and we don't care"
--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/