Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 04:34:23PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> The thing is, if Oracle were to do a concerted effort to kill any of the
> above, the 'bad karma' aspect would definitely backlash against them,
> *but*, unless they took them *all* out, ppl would just migrate to one of
> the many other options (as painful as it might be to some), or you'd see
> alot of projects forking off the 'last stable OSS version' ...

I think Oracle could do everything possible to screw OSS software and it
would make barely a blip on their income statement. Sure, geeks all over
would get seriously pissed-off, but those are not the folks who make the
Oracle purchasing decisions (certainly not the big ones anyway).