Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Richard P. Welty
Subject Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Feb 12, 2006, at 9:09 PM, Reko Turja wrote:

>> I'm using Sleepycat's copyleft licensing
>> option, and nobody can take that copy away from me.  Your mail
>> servers
>> are probably similar: the copyleft license you already have is good
>> enough.

> It think the GNU licensing has already been once revoked from
> bottom up in US court of law and that might be used as preliminary
> case if Oracle wants to press the issue. BSD-licensing is harder to
> hit that way, but GPL believability in OSS might be hit hard.

i've not heard this before about GPL and find it a little hard to
believe that something of this importance could happen without
becoming common knowledge. i'm not a huge fan of the GPL, but this
sounds somewhat fudish as presented.

> (the pointers to the case in question can be found somewhere on
> FreeBSD website - topic was comparation of BSD and GPL licenses)

i think you need to provide these. the freebsd website
is quite large.

richard
--
Richard P. Welty