Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Gavin M. Roy wrote:

> The Sleepycat purchase seems to be more of the no-brainer boxing MySQL
> into a corner.

I'm not so much worried about MySQL as the other OSS that have used
Berkeley DB as its backend ... stuff like Postfix, Cyrus IMAP, Cyrus
SASL and sendmail come immediately to mind ... what 'alternatives' do they
have?  I know in my case, we have PostgreSQL backing a large portion of
the stuff for Postfix/IMAP/SASL, but not everything has been extended to
allow for 'alternate backends' ... of course, nothing really prevents that
from happening if backed into a corner, but it does create for potential
disruption in the overall OSS community ;(

----