NEW POSTGRESQL LOGOS

From
Steve Logue

Hello,

After reading the recent mailing list thread about PostgreSQL not growing in popularity as fast as MySQL and the lack of a legible logo, I got bored and took a stab at some.  I'd like to make a new logo for people to pass around and also get an HTML/Logo usage page in the distribution.  Feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers,
-STEVEl

http://www.nettek-llc.com/postgresql/

  http://www.nettek-llc.com/
  Southern Oregon's PC network technicians

Re: [HACKERS] NEW POSTGRESQL LOGOS

From
dg@illustra.com (David Gould)
Date:
Steve Logue writes:

> After reading the recent mailing list thread about PostgreSQL not
> growing in popularity as fast as MySQL and the lack of a legible logo, I
> got bored and took a stab at some.  I'd like to make a new logo for
> people to pass around and also get an HTML/Logo usage page in the
> distribution.  Feedback would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> -STEVEl
>
> http://www.nettek-llc.com/postgresql/

These are not bad, although the difference in size between the "Postgre" and
the "SQL" make it a little hard to read as one word. The different background
for the two parts of the word adds to this. Still, they are attractive.

Hmmm, I have an idea, what about a Penguin?

-dg

David Gould           dg@illustra.com            510.628.3783 or 510.305.9468
Informix Software                      300 Lakeside Drive   Oakland, CA 94612
 - A child of five could understand this!  Fetch me a child of five.

Re: [HACKERS] NEW POSTGRESQL LOGOS

From
Ken McGlothlen
Date:
dg@illustra.com (David Gould) writes:

| > http://www.nettek-llc.com/postgresql/
|
| These are not bad, although the difference in size between the "Postgre" and
| the "SQL" make it a little hard to read as one word. The different background
| for the two parts of the word adds to this. Still, they are attractive.

I would tend to agree; unfortunately, the name is a bit too long and awkward to
be used as a visual logo.

| Hmmm, I have an idea, what about a Penguin?

Already taken by Apple's Quicktime product.  However, a cross between the BSD
daemon 'toon and a penguin would be fairly funny; a red and white penguin with
horns and a long, barbed tail?  :)

                            ---Ken

Re: [HACKERS] NEW POSTGRESQL LOGOS

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, David Gould wrote:

> Steve Logue writes:
> >
> > After reading the recent mailing list thread about PostgreSQL not
> > growing in popularity as fast as MySQL and the lack of a legible logo, I
> > got bored and took a stab at some.  I'd like to make a new logo for
> > people to pass around and also get an HTML/Logo usage page in the
> > distribution.  Feedback would be appreciated.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > -STEVEl
> >
> > http://www.nettek-llc.com/postgresql/
>
> These are not bad, although the difference in size between the "Postgre" and
> the "SQL" make it a little hard to read as one word. The different background
> for the two parts of the word adds to this. Still, they are attractive.
>
> Hmmm, I have an idea, what about a Penguin?

    Damn linux fanatics :)

    We want "product identification"...the Penguin is what Linux is
identified with, and, as we *all* know, the last thing I would want to be
identified with :)

    Someone came up with an alligator as our totem...but nobody seemed
able to come up with a *strong* image to use :(  I kinda like an elephant
or turtle...a little slower, but highly dependable...

    We need something to identify with that isn't already used (ie. I
won't suggest a little devil *grin*)...

    Steve...I looked at the ones you made, and found then a little
dry...I personally think it is going to be difficult to do a 'Powered by'
icon with an animal on it, but is it possible to *jumps* out at you?
Maybe a little depth?  Maybe emboss the work PostgreSQL, so that it stands
out from the page?  I like the top-left one the most, against the white
background like that, but maybe have it stick out like a button?

    I'm just throwing ideas out...take or leave any and/or all of them
:)

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Date:
Marc G. Fournier writes:
> On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, David Gould wrote:
> > Hmmm, I have an idea, what about a Penguin?
>
>     Damn linux fanatics :)
>
>     We want "product identification"...the Penguin is what Linux is
> identified with, and, as we *all* know, the last thing I would want to be
> identified with :)

Off topic, but this is too good, so I am going to share anyway:

For background, the official Linux logo is a drawing of a rather plump
and distinctly non-threatening penguin known as 'Tux'.
-dg