Perpetuating the myth...annoying

From
Jacob Hanson
Date:
http://www.oetrends.com/news.php?action=view_record&idnum=319

Article discussing PHP5 says SQLite is "typically faster than MySQL,
significantly faster than PostgreSQL". While I don't doubt it's
faster at what it does (with it's small, focused feature-set), the
article perpuates the 'Postgres is slow' and 'MySQL is much faster
than Postgres' thinking that is no longer accurate.

Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying

From
David Costa
Date:
On Mar 31, 2004, at 4:44 AM, Jacob Hanson wrote:

> http://www.oetrends.com/news.php?action=view_record&idnum=319
>
> Article discussing PHP5 says SQLite is "typically faster than MySQL,
> significantly faster than PostgreSQL". While I don't doubt it's
> faster at what it does (with it's small, focused feature-set), the
> article perpuates the 'Postgres is slow' and 'MySQL is much faster
> than Postgres' thinking that is no longer accurate.

Hi Jacob,
I have been using SQlite in fact we offer it on dotgeek together with
postgresql in the free
package for developers. The significantly faster is irrelevant because
SQLite has a single point of access / failure
which make it interesting only for small applications.

Just an idea, why don't we run a postgresql vs mysql benchmark ? I can
put the servers, but I have little experience
on running a benchmark. If someone is willing to help I will grant him
access and we can end up with some clean results
and a nice article on dotgeek with something effective like "PostgreSQL
is faster then MySQL: Here's why"

I think it will spice it all up. Till now we have around 300 PHP
developers that started to use PostgreSQL on dotgeek and
porting their application from mysql to postgresql. Looks promising ;)

PHP-PostgreSQL Advocacy team     http://dotgeek.org
gurugeek att php dot net  david at postgresql ddoot org
$dsn = 'pgsql://world:most_advanced@localhost/open_source_database';

Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying

From
Dan Langille
Date:
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Jacob Hanson wrote:

> http://www.oetrends.com/news.php?action=view_record&idnum=319
>
> Article discussing PHP5 says SQLite is "typically faster than MySQL,
> significantly faster than PostgreSQL". While I don't doubt it's
> faster at what it does (with it's small, focused feature-set), the
> article perpuates the 'Postgres is slow' and 'MySQL is much faster
> than Postgres' thinking that is no longer accurate.

I can confirm that SQLite is faster than either MySQL or PostgreSQL when
using Bacula.  I'm working on improving the PostgreSQL.

--
Dan Langille - BSDCan: http://www.bsdcan.org/

Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

>> We might get in trouble with their (MySQL) trademark guys with this:
>>

>> D. Damaging Use.
>>

>> The MySQL AB Marks may not be used in a manner or with respect to
>> products that will decrease the value of the MySQL AB Marks or
>> otherwise impair or damage MySQL AB's brand integrity, reputation or
>> goodwill, including (without limitation) use in a manner that is
>> unethical, offensive, disparaging, defamatory, illegal or in bad taste.
>>

> Not sure, running a benchmark is not a misusage of their trademark. try
> to google mysql vs pgsql or the other way around..some other people did
> some benchmarks already
> isn't it ?

IANAL but I think it would depend on how it was worded and whether or
not they wanted to get ugly about it.

I am actually surprised they haven't gone after the sql-info.de guys.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Date:

Date:

> Just an idea, why don't we run a postgresql vs mysql benchmark ? I can
> put the servers, but I have little experience
> on running a benchmark. If someone is willing to help I will grant him
> access and we can end up with some clean results
> and a nice article on dotgeek with something effective like "PostgreSQL
> is faster then MySQL: Here's why"

We might get in trouble with their (MySQL) trademark guys with this:

D. Damaging Use.

The MySQL AB Marks may not be used in a manner or with respect to
products that will decrease the value of the MySQL AB Marks or otherwise
impair or damage MySQL AB's brand integrity, reputation or goodwill,
including (without limitation) use in a manner that is unethical,
offensive, disparaging, defamatory, illegal or in bad taste.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> I think it will spice it all up. Till now we have around 300 PHP
> developers that started to use PostgreSQL on dotgeek and
> porting their application from mysql to postgresql. Looks promising ;)
>
> PHP-PostgreSQL Advocacy team     http://dotgeek.org
> gurugeek att php dot net  david at postgresql ddoot org
> $dsn = 'pgsql://world:most_advanced@localhost/open_source_database';

>      subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your

Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >> We might get in trouble with their (MySQL) trademark guys with this:
> >>

> >> D. Damaging Use.
> >>

> >> The MySQL AB Marks may not be used in a manner or with respect to
> >> products that will decrease the value of the MySQL AB Marks or
> >> otherwise impair or damage MySQL AB's brand integrity, reputation or
> >> goodwill, including (without limitation) use in a manner that is
> >> unethical, offensive, disparaging, defamatory, illegal or in bad taste.
> >>

> > Not sure, running a benchmark is not a misusage of their trademark. try
> > to google mysql vs pgsql or the other way around..some other people did
> > some benchmarks already
> > isn't it ?
>

> IANAL but I think it would depend on how it was worded and whether or
> not they wanted to get ugly about it.
>
> I am actually surprised they haven't gone after the sql-info.de guys.

Here's a link from the international trademark association:

http://www.inta.org/info/faqsU.html

The short answer is that it would appear to be in this paragraph, which I
quote here for convenience:

QUOTE:

WHEN CAN I USE ANOTHER'S TRADEMARK WITHOUT THEIR CONSENT?

As a general matter, it is advisable to obtain the consent of a trademark
owner before proceeding with use of their mark. Trademark law, however,
does permit the use of another's mark (whether registered or unregistered)
without their consent if the use of the mark is made in good faith for the
purpose of merely describing the goods or services to which the mark
relates or to accurately indicate compatibility with another's goods or
services. Relevant considerations for determining whether use of another's
mark constitutes "fair use" include, but are not necessarily limited
to, the following:

Bad faith. Intentionally using another's mark for the purpose of
benefiting from the good will associated with the mark is not a
permissible use of another person's mark without their consent.

How the mark is used. Use of another person's mark should not be made for
the purpose of promoting one's own goods or services without their
consent. Visual placement and prominence of the other mark can bear upon
whether use of another's mark may be construed as being for one's own
promotional purposes.

Confusion by consumers. Some uses of another's mark can suggest
sponsorship or endorsement by the mark's owner and can confuse consumers
into believing that there is an association between you and the owner of
the mark. This is not a permissible use of another's mark without their
consent.

ENDQUOTE:

Basically, as long as no one is trying to "ride the MySQL wave" or confuse
consumers it should be ok to use it.  I.e. just using someone's trademark
when referring to their product is not misuse.  If you were lying or
trying to mislead people, then it's a possibility you could be in some
kind of trouble, but as long as we're just saying "we tested MySQL against
Postgresql and here's what we found."  We should be ok.

Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying

From
"Andrew Payne"
Date:
>>> Just an idea, why don't we run a postgresql vs mysql benchmark ? I

{snip}

>> We might get in trouble with their (MySQL) trademark guys with this:

I wouldn't any spend time worrying about this.  Analysts and reviewers write
bad things about products all the time and aren't held liable for any of
this nonsense.

I'd do the benchmark and publish the results, properly attributing any
trademarks that belong to MySQL AB.  If someone at MySQL really gets
annoyed, then (a) hire a lawyer, or (b) change all of the references to "the
open source database available at www.mysql.com".

-andy

Date:
On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, David Costa wrote:

> On Mar 31, 2004, at 4:44 AM, Jacob Hanson wrote:
>
> > http://www.oetrends.com/news.php?action=view_record&idnum=319
> >
> > Article discussing PHP5 says SQLite is "typically faster than MySQL,
> > significantly faster than PostgreSQL". While I don't doubt it's
> > faster at what it does (with it's small, focused feature-set), the
> > article perpuates the 'Postgres is slow' and 'MySQL is much faster
> > than Postgres' thinking that is no longer accurate.
> >

> Hi Jacob,
> I have been using SQlite in fact we offer it on dotgeek together with
> postgresql in the free
> package for developers. The significantly faster is irrelevant because
> SQLite has a single point of access / failure
> which make it interesting only for small applications.
>
> Just an idea, why don't we run a postgresql vs mysql benchmark ? I can
> put the servers, but I have little experience
> on running a benchmark. If someone is willing to help I will grant him
> access and we can end up with some clean results
> and a nice article on dotgeek with something effective like "PostgreSQL
> is faster then MySQL: Here's why"
>
> I think it will spice it all up. Till now we have around 300 PHP
> developers that started to use PostgreSQL on dotgeek and
> porting their application from mysql to postgresql. Looks promising ;)

I think that if we are going to benchmark the two, and I'm all for it, we
should benchmark them running something fairly standard, like the OSDL
tests.  And MySQL should be using innodb tables for everything, since
postgresql pretty much always carries the load of running mvcc and write
ahead logging and transactions for everything it does.

Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying

Date:
Andrew Payne wrote:

> {snip}
>
> >> We might get in trouble with their (MySQL) trademark guys with this:
>
> I wouldn't any spend time worrying about this.  Analysts and reviewers write
> bad things about products all the time and aren't held liable for any of
> this nonsense.
>
> I'd do the benchmark and publish the results, properly attributing any
> trademarks that belong to MySQL AB.  If someone at MySQL really gets
> annoyed, then (a) hire a lawyer, or (b) change all of the references to "the
> open source database available at www.mysql.com".

Better yet, do the benchmark, and if they send you a cease-and-desist
letter, we can post it on our web site.  They are usually quite amusing. :-)

Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
>>http://www.oetrends.com/news.php?action=view_record&idnum=319
>>
>>Article discussing PHP5 says SQLite is "typically faster than MySQL,
>>significantly faster than PostgreSQL". While I don't doubt it's
>>faster at what it does (with it's small, focused feature-set), the
>>article perpuates the 'Postgres is slow' and 'MySQL is much faster
>>than Postgres' thinking that is no longer accurate.

"faster" for simple selects with one where clause maybe.  However,
SQLLite is documented that it can ONLY USE ONE INDEX PER QUERY.  Go figure.

Chris

Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Just an idea, why don't we run a postgresql vs mysql benchmark ? I
> We might get in trouble with their (MySQL) trademark guys with this:

Trademark law only says that you cannot use someone else's trademark to
label a similar product.  Nothing there can stop you from using the
product for any purpose including running benchmarks, or from reporting
facts or opinions or lies about the product.  That is a matter of
copyright law, press regulations and/or the criminal code.

Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying

From
Gavin Sherry
Date:
On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > Just an idea, why don't we run a postgresql vs mysql benchmark ? I can
> > put the servers, but I have little experience
> > on running a benchmark. If someone is willing to help I will grant him
> > access and we can end up with some clean results
> > and a nice article on dotgeek with something effective like "PostgreSQL
> > is faster then MySQL: Here's why"
>
> We might get in trouble with their (MySQL) trademark guys with this:
>

> D. Damaging Use.
>

> The MySQL AB Marks may not be used in a manner or with respect to
> products that will decrease the value of the MySQL AB Marks or otherwise
> impair or damage MySQL AB's brand integrity, reputation or goodwill,
> including (without limitation) use in a manner that is unethical,
> offensive, disparaging, defamatory, illegal or in bad taste.

This runs in the face of 'fair comment' law established in most
democracies. However, how fair the comment is often depends on how well
paid your lawyer is. :-(.

Gavin

Date:
On Apr 5, 2004, at 11:13 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> IANAL but I think it would depend on how it was worded and whether or
> not they wanted to get ugly about it.
>
> I am actually surprised they haven't gone after the sql-info.de guys.

I checked the sql-info.de guys and frankly their strategy is less then
impressive. If you use terms like "gotchas" and mix and match features
with some irrelevant facts
(their financing has nothing to do with their product) you will only
make them more popular.

I do have a law degree ( this doesn't mean I know anything more then
you or anyone else here in Intellectual properties law, in fact my
specialization was in tax law)
and from what I saw it would be probably not a good business for MySQL
AB to sue the sql-info.de guys.

Sometimes I am amused by all the debacle on licensing because, from a
legal stand point, the main issue is enforceability and making a legal
action viable.

That said I would have never published something like that. I was
thinking about something fair.
What do I mean by fair ? Our latest version..not the 7.3 used here
http://www.mysql.com/information/features.html
;)
Cheers
David Costa

Date:
On Apr 5, 2004, at 8:00 PM, Dan Langille wrote:

>> Article discussing PHP5 says SQLite is "typically faster than MySQL,
>> significantly faster than PostgreSQL". While I don't doubt it's
>> faster at what it does (with it's small, focused feature-set), the
>> article perpuates the 'Postgres is slow' and 'MySQL is much faster
>> than Postgres' thinking that is no longer accurate.
>
> I can confirm that SQLite is faster than either MySQL or PostgreSQL
> when
> using Bacula.  I'm working on improving the PostgreSQL.

Hi Dan!
I am sure SQLite can be faster, but its not comparable with either
MySQL or PostgreSQL
so is this text based "db"  http://txtsql.sourceforge.net/

I do have SQLite actively used in a number of sites (e.g.
collegelinux.org) and frankly,
for an end user standpoint specially of a size that might be interested
in SQLite, there is really
no humanly noticeable speed difference IMHO.

When you talk about speed the average PHP developer is thinking about
his guestbook or forum becoming slower with Pgsql
and this is not true ;)

Thanks
David

Date:
On Apr 6, 2004, at 1:02 AM, scott.marlowe wrote:

> I think that if we are going to benchmark the two, and I'm all for it,
> we
> should benchmark them running something fairly standard, like the OSDL
> tests.  And MySQL should be using innodb tables for everything, since
> postgresql pretty much always carries the load of running mvcc and
> write
> ahead logging and transactions for everything it does.

Let's do it ;)

David Costa

Date:
On Apr 6, 2004, at 1:46 AM, Gavin Sherry wrote:

> This runs in the face of 'fair comment' law established in most
> democracies. However, how fair the comment is often depends on how well
> paid your lawyer is. :-(.

I would be ready to publish a real benchmark but not a flame or
anything close to it.

The idea is presenting the facts and adding some real life examples
e.g. people can see our Phpbb running Postgresql
(http://dotgeek.org/forums) and compare it with another phpbb
installation.

Once again, speed has the wrong meaning to many people. I received a
number of emails from our current  hosted developers (within the
PHP 5 / PostgreSQL free hosting initiative) and everyone seems fairly
impressed by PostgreSQL.
AKA they expected something very slow and this isn't the case.

Regards,
David Costa, Dotgeek.org

Date:
On Apr 6, 2004, at 3:46 AM, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> "faster" for simple selects with one where clause maybe.  However,
> SQLLite is documented that it can ONLY USE ONE INDEX PER QUERY.  Go
> figure.
>
> Chris

This is the point. People write faster and many developers don't
understand the difference. I have seen a lot of PHP/MySQL application
and yet I have to find one which runs
faster on MySQL / slower on PostgreSQL from a "humanly noticeable"
standpoint.

Yet the faster catch is a good marketing tool.

Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying

From
Adam Ruth
Date:
On Apr 5, 2004, at 5:59 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> Just an idea, why don't we run a postgresql vs mysql benchmark ? I
>> We might get in trouble with their (MySQL) trademark guys with this:
>
> Trademark law only says that you cannot use someone else's trademark to
> label a similar product.  Nothing there can stop you from using the
> product for any purpose including running benchmarks, or from reporting
> facts or opinions or lies about the product.  That is a matter of
> copyright law, press regulations and/or the criminal code.

Commercial database products, such as Oracle and MS SQL Server get
around this by making it a part of their license that you cannot
publish benchmarks without their approval.  Since you can get MySQL
under the GPL, then their only protection in this matter is trademark
(and I guess, libel if they wanted to get nasty), which is, IMHO &
IANAL, much weaker protection.

Adam Ruth

Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 04:19, David Costa wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2004, at 1:02 AM, scott.marlowe wrote:
>

> > I think that if we are going to benchmark the two, and I'm all for it,
> > we
> > should benchmark them running something fairly standard, like the OSDL
> > tests.  And MySQL should be using innodb tables for everything, since
> > postgresql pretty much always carries the load of running mvcc and
> > write
> > ahead logging and transactions for everything it does.
> >

> Let's do it ;)

One potential problem... I don't think that my$ql can actually handle
the osdl tests. On the bright side iirc the osdl folks switched to
studying postgresql instead of sapdb (aka max$ql) because they could not
get the performance they needed from sapdb, so you might be able to do a
comparison there. But this has always been a problem with benchmarking
my$ql with postgresql... any test complex enough to show off
postgresql's capabilities tends to cause my$ql to fall over... not
saying you shouldn't do it, just saying finding a good benchmark might
be tricky.

BTW David, I'm sure you've seen
http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20001112.php3?page=1 right?

Robert Treat

Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying

From
"Peter Galbavy"
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> IANAL but I think it would depend on how it was worded and whether or
> not they wanted to get ugly about it.
>
> I am actually surprised they haven't gone after the sql-info.de guys.

But wouldn't it make a great (I am not encouraging this) press story for
someone with commercial interests against them ? A classic "CompanyX tries
to gag comparisons" - when some studios tried to stop film reviewers making
negative comments by enforcing "license" conditions, they were slammed in
the media.

Peter

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Trademark law only says that you cannot use someone else's trademark
> to label a similar product.  Nothing there can stop you from using the
> product for any purpose including running benchmarks, or from
> reporting facts or opinions or lies about the product.  That is a
> matter of copyright law, press regulations and/or the criminal code.

I think the issue raised was that you may not be permitted, under their
software license, to use the software if the activity would be seen as
detrimental to their trademark - not the use of the trademark in any
publication post-benchmark etc.

Peter

Date:
On Apr 6, 2004, at 4:05 PM, Robert Treat wrote:

> One potential problem... I don't think that my$ql can actually handle
> the osdl tests. On the bright side iirc the osdl folks switched to
> studying postgresql instead of sapdb (aka max$ql) because they could
> not
> get the performance they needed from sapdb, so you might be able to do
> comparison there. But this has always been a problem with benchmarking
> my$ql with postgresql... any test complex enough to show off
> postgresql's capabilities tends to cause my$ql to fall over... not
> saying you shouldn't do it, just saying finding a good benchmark might
> be tricky.

Very true. I admittedly know very little on benchmarking but I was
thinking with something combined with practical real life tests
e.g. testing with real popular  php applications for example something
which runs on both (e.g. Phpbb ) and a sample application.

Sometimes the professional tests have little real life meaning for a
developer. Of course they might be a way to run some
other benchmarks.

When I come across to some benchmarks like this one
http://php.weblogs.com/oracle_mysql_performance where they used
PostgreSQL 7.2.3 on Win2000 well...it makes be think what the average
PHP developer will get out of it.

> BTW David, I'm sure you've seen
> http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20001112.php3?page=1 right?

yes I did but is not very new, this is why a new test with the latest
pgsql might dissipate the speed myth.

I have used MySQL and SQLite too but event with relatively big
applications and a load of traffic I can't yet
see any speed difference with PostgreSQL.  Secondly, it's not all about
speed. Data integrity should come first IMHO.

Regards,
David Costa, Dotgeek.org

Date:
On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 10:15, Peter Galbavy wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Trademark law only says that you cannot use someone else's trademark
> > to label a similar product.  Nothing there can stop you from using the
> > product for any purpose including running benchmarks, or from
> > reporting facts or opinions or lies about the product.  That is a
> > matter of copyright law, press regulations and/or the criminal code.
>
> I think the issue raised was that you may not be permitted, under their
> software license, to use the software if the activity would be seen as
> detrimental to their trademark - not the use of the trademark in any
> publication post-benchmark etc.

And that's probably true if you acquire their software under their
commercial license, but if you license it via the gpl, then that doesn't
hold up.

Robert Treat

Date:
On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 10:32, David Costa wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2004, at 4:05 PM, Robert Treat wrote:
> >
> > One potential problem... I don't think that my$ql can actually handle
> > the osdl tests. On the bright side iirc the osdl folks switched to
> > studying postgresql instead of sapdb (aka max$ql) because they could
> > not
> > get the performance they needed from sapdb, so you might be able to do
> > comparison there. But this has always been a problem with benchmarking
> > my$ql with postgresql... any test complex enough to show off
> > postgresql's capabilities tends to cause my$ql to fall over... not
> > saying you shouldn't do it, just saying finding a good benchmark might
> > be tricky.
>
> Very true. I admittedly know very little on benchmarking but I was
> thinking with something combined with practical real life tests
> e.g. testing with real popular  php applications for example something
> which runs on both (e.g. Phpbb ) and a sample application.
>
> Sometimes the professional tests have little real life meaning for a
> developer. Of course they might be a way to run some
> other benchmarks.
>
> When I come across to some benchmarks like this one
> http://php.weblogs.com/oracle_mysql_performance where they used
> PostgreSQL 7.2.3 on Win2000 well...it makes be think what the average
> PHP developer will get out of it.
>

> > BTW David, I'm sure you've seen
> > http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20001112.php3?page=1 right?
>

> yes I did but is not very new, this is why a new test with the latest
> pgsql might dissipate the speed myth.
>
> I have used MySQL and SQLite too but event with relatively big
> applications and a load of traffic I can't yet
> see any speed difference with PostgreSQL.  Secondly, it's not all about
> speed. Data integrity should come first IMHO.

Incidentally, if you haven't read the blog entry in this weeks weekly
news, give it a spin; shows comparison times on my$ql and postgresql php
connection times...

Robert Treat

Date:
> On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Jacob Hanson wrote:

>> http://www.oetrends.com/news.php?action=view_record&idnum=319
>>
>> Article discussing PHP5 says SQLite is "typically faster than MySQL,
>> significantly faster than PostgreSQL". While I don't doubt it's
>> faster at what it does (with it's small, focused feature-set), the
>> article perpuates the 'Postgres is slow' and 'MySQL is much faster
>> than Postgres' thinking that is no longer accurate.

> I can confirm that SQLite is faster than either MySQL or PostgreSQL when
> using Bacula.  I'm working on improving the PostgreSQL.

Yeah, I'm sure it is. I was concerned with the article giving
additional weight to the 'MySQL is much faster than Postgres'
thinking. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Jacob

markw@osdl.org
Date:
On  6 Apr, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 04:19, David Costa wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 6, 2004, at 1:02 AM, scott.marlowe wrote:
>>

>> > I think that if we are going to benchmark the two, and I'm all for it,
>> > we
>> > should benchmark them running something fairly standard, like the OSDL
>> > tests.  And MySQL should be using innodb tables for everything, since
>> > postgresql pretty much always carries the load of running mvcc and
>> > write
>> > ahead logging and transactions for everything it does.
>> >

>> Let's do it ;)
>>

> One potential problem... I don't think that my$ql can actually handle
> the osdl tests. On the bright side iirc the osdl folks switched to
> studying postgresql instead of sapdb (aka max$ql) because they could not
> get the performance they needed from sapdb, so you might be able to do a
> comparison there. But this has always been a problem with benchmarking
> my$ql with postgresql... any test complex enough to show off
> postgresql's capabilities tends to cause my$ql to fall over... not
> saying you shouldn't do it, just saying finding a good benchmark might
> be tricky.
>
> BTW David, I'm sure you've seen
> http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20001112.php3?page=1 right?

One of the most important reasons for switching to PostgreSQL was that,
for whatever reason, the SAPDB folks didn't really offer the support we
were hoping for.

Peter Zaitsev has told me they are porting DBT-2 to work with MySQL, but
I haven't heard from him in a while.  I don't believe it's too hard to
port it, but we don't have the time here.  If someone here wanted to
give it a shot, I can definitely aid what needs to be done.

A quick search on google shows it might be done:
    http://seclists.org/lists/linux-kernel/2004/Mar/0818.html

Mark

Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying

From
Mathieu Arnold
Date:
+-le 05/04/2004 14:00 -0400, Dan Langille a dit :
| On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Jacob Hanson wrote:
|
|> http://www.oetrends.com/news.php?action=view_record&idnum=319
|>
|> Article discussing PHP5 says SQLite is "typically faster than MySQL,
|> significantly faster than PostgreSQL". While I don't doubt it's
|> faster at what it does (with it's small, focused feature-set), the
|> article perpuates the 'Postgres is slow' and 'MySQL is much faster
|> than Postgres' thinking that is no longer accurate.
|
| I can confirm that SQLite is faster than either MySQL or PostgreSQL when
| using Bacula.  I'm working on improving the PostgreSQL.

On the Bacula side, I'm keeping sqlite because it's "one file", nothing to
restore beside that if (when) it (will) crashes.

--
Mathieu Arnold

Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying

From
Enrico Weigelt
Date:
* David Costa <geeks@dotgeek.org> wrote:

<snip>
> I am sure SQLite can be faster, but its not comparable with either
> MySQL or PostgreSQL
> so is this text based "db"  http://txtsql.sourceforge.net/
Ah, I'll have a look at this.
I'm using "flat" text tables in some web applications.
If I can edit the txtsql database by hand, I'll probably switch to it :)

<snip>
> When you talk about speed the average PHP developer is thinking about
> his guestbook or forum becoming slower with Pgsql
> and this is not true ;)
Well, this comes (better: *came*) from the issue that pgsql is a little
bit slower on connection startup than mysql (is it still ?). Some people
say, that comes *because* mysql is MT and pgsql is MP, but IMHO this is
not really true.

I already talked about this issue here. We could implement some kind
of preforking or backends processing more then one connection subsequently.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact@metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481

Date:
* David Costa <geeks@dotgeek.org> wrote:

<snip>
> This is the point. People write faster and many developers don't
> understand the difference. I have seen a lot of PHP/MySQL application
> and yet I have to find one which runs
> faster on MySQL / slower on PostgreSQL from a "humanly noticeable"
> standpoint.

A serious comparison starts at the application and its use-cases,
i.e. how many data is stored, which datatypes, which kind of queries
are typically used, etc, etc.

Saying "A is faster than B" is just too simple.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact@metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481

Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying

From
Enrico Weigelt
Date:
* Dan Langille <dan@langille.org> wrote:

<snip>
> I can confirm that SQLite is faster than either MySQL or PostgreSQL when
> using Bacula.  I'm working on improving the PostgreSQL.
In which situations did you notice that ?
I'd be interested in an in-deep comparsion.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact@metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481

Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying

From
Enrico Weigelt
Date:
* markw@osdl.org <markw@osdl.org> wrote:

<snip>
> One of the most important reasons for switching to PostgreSQL was that,
> for whatever reason, the SAPDB folks didn't really offer the support we
> were hoping for.
Could you please state what things exactly you expect ?

I'd like to set up some RDBMS comparison which copes features and
performance as well as software and support.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact@metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481

Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
On 6/3/2004 4:28 PM, Enrico Weigelt wrote:

> * David Costa <geeks@dotgeek.org> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> I am sure SQLite can be faster, but its not comparable with either
>> MySQL or PostgreSQL
>> so is this text based "db"  http://txtsql.sourceforge.net/
> Ah, I'll have a look at this.
> I'm using "flat" text tables in some web applications.
> If I can edit the txtsql database by hand, I'll probably switch to it :)
>
> <snip>
>> When you talk about speed the average PHP developer is thinking about
>> his guestbook or forum becoming slower with Pgsql
>> and this is not true ;)
> Well, this comes (better: *came*) from the issue that pgsql is a little
> bit slower on connection startup than mysql (is it still ?). Some people
> say, that comes *because* mysql is MT and pgsql is MP, but IMHO this is
> not really true.
>
> I already talked about this issue here. We could implement some kind
> of preforking or backends processing more then one connection subsequently.

Or we could just encourage people to use what's availabe. Pgpool has
more advantages for PHP applications than just that anyway.

Jan

Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying

From
Kaarel
Date:
scott.marlowe wrote:

>I think that if we are going to benchmark the two, and I'm all for it, we
>should benchmark them running something fairly standard, like the OSDL
>tests.  And MySQL should be using innodb tables for everything, since
>postgresql pretty much always carries the load of running mvcc and write
>ahead logging and transactions for everything it does.

The other way, well not as good of course, would be to test PostgreSQL
fsync turned off against MySQL MyISAM. That wouldn't still be complitely
fair (unless there is a way to turn off implicit transactions of
PostgreSQL) though but the results could be of interest in comparing
PostgreSQL with default MySQL setup.

Kaarel

Date:
On 6/10/2004 7:10 AM, Kaarel wrote:
> scott.marlowe wrote:
>
>>I think that if we are going to benchmark the two, and I'm all for it, we
>>should benchmark them running something fairly standard, like the OSDL
>>tests.  And MySQL should be using innodb tables for everything, since
>>postgresql pretty much always carries the load of running mvcc and write
>>ahead logging and transactions for everything it does.
>>

> The other way, well not as good of course, would be to test PostgreSQL
> fsync turned off against MySQL MyISAM. That wouldn't still be complitely
> fair (unless there is a way to turn off implicit transactions of
> PostgreSQL) though but the results could be of interest in comparing
> PostgreSQL with default MySQL setup.

I have signed up for a project on PgFoundry (waiting for approval) to
make my PHP implementation of TPC-W available. It is ready ported to
MySQL 4.1.1 and runs of course on top of PostgreSQL >= 7.4.

It does take the differences in database functionality into account.
When running on PostgreSQL, it uses set returning stored procedures. The
same functionality is implemented in PHP of course when running on
MySQL. This is completely according to the TPC-W specifications since
the combination of Web Server(s) and Database is defined as System Under
Test and what counts is the response time to HTTP requests, not how fast
a simple select can spit out a row. The concurrency and transactional
requirements of that test suite make InnoDB tables required anyway, and
using pgpool PostgreSQL 7.4 currently scales better than MySQL 4.1.1.
But I am no MySQL expert, so there might be more tuning or some query
optimization possible ... right now the two are close enough together.

I think this is an interesting test, because it uses what a broad
variety of MySQL based applications are written in - PHP. And it
compares both databases on a fair level, by implementing the requested
business logic with what is available, instead of tayloring the features
or tests to the limited capabilities of the database.

The only thing missing to be 100% spec compliant woult be the remote
payment gateway emulator (credit card authorization simulation). That
would be some external server the PHP application during the order
processing has to communicate with via SSL.

Darcy Buskermolen did get it running and I have it currently in a
longterm test to check Slony Replication and will soon use it to develop
semi-automatic failover procedures for webservers using pgpool.

Jan

Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying

From
"Michael Paesold"
Jan Wieck wrote:
> I have signed up for a project on PgFoundry (waiting for approval) to
> make my PHP implementation of TPC-W available. It is ready ported to
> MySQL 4.1.1 and runs of course on top of PostgreSQL >= 7.4.

Sounds great. It seems to me that this should be one of the better test
cases to compare PostgreSQL and MySQL, but not only that. I think it will
also be good for testing a complete setup for performance changes, e.g. when
upgrading from PostgreSQL 7.4 to 7.5.

I am looking forward to your release.

Btw., the project on pgFoundry is already online. ;-)

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold

Date:
On 6/15/2004 11:33 AM, Michael Paesold wrote:

> Jan Wieck wrote:
>> I have signed up for a project on PgFoundry (waiting for approval) to
>> make my PHP implementation of TPC-W available. It is ready ported to
>> MySQL 4.1.1 and runs of course on top of PostgreSQL >= 7.4.
>
> Sounds great. It seems to me that this should be one of the better test
> cases to compare PostgreSQL and MySQL, but not only that. I think it will
> also be good for testing a complete setup for performance changes, e.g. when
> upgrading from PostgreSQL 7.4 to 7.5.
>
> I am looking forward to your release.
>
> Btw., the project on pgFoundry is already online. ;-)

The code is there now.

Jan

Anonymous cvs access not working in pgFoundry

From
"Michael Paesold"
Date:
Hi,

it seems to me, that anonymous cvs access to pgFoundry is not working, or is
it just a problem with this project? (tcw-w-php)

$ cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.pgfoundry.org:/cvsroot/tpc-w-php co
tcpw-benchmark
gives me a
"initgroups failed: Invalid argument"

This seems to come from the server, reading last strace lines...
read(4, "error 0 initgroups failed: Inval"..., 4096) = 44
write(2, "initgroups failed: Invalid argum"..., 36initgroups failed: Invalid
argument) = 36

Does it work for anyone?

Also, pgFoundry seems extremly slow, compared to other postgresql sites.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold

--
+++ Jetzt WLAN-Router f�r alle DSL-Einsteiger und Wechsler +++
GMX DSL-Powertarife zudem 3 Monate gratis* http://www.gmx.net/dsl

Re: Anonymous cvs access not working in pgFoundry

From
Marius Andreiana
Date:
Confirming it, also the slowness. sql2pg developer wants to move it to
sourceforge so we can work easier on it.

--
Marius Andreiana
Galuna - Solutii Linux in Romania

Re: Anonymous cvs access not working in pgFoundry

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Michael,

> it seems to me, that anonymous cvs access to pgFoundry is not working, or
> is it just a problem with this project? (tcw-w-php)

Damn, I thought we'd fixed this.    Will check.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Anonymous cvs access not working in pgFoundry

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

I am also considering moving plPerlNG to SourceForge. Although I believe
that pgFoundry is a good idea, there just isn't enough bandwidth and
hardware support behind the project to make it usable.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Marius Andreiana wrote:
> Confirming it, also the slowness. sql2pg developer wants to move it to
> sourceforge so we can work easier on it.

Re: Anonymous cvs access not working in pgFoundry

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Michael Paesold wrote:

> Hi,
>
> it seems to me, that anonymous cvs access to pgFoundry is not working, or is
> it just a problem with this project? (tcw-w-php)
>
> $ cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.pgfoundry.org:/cvsroot/tpc-w-php co
> tcpw-benchmark
> gives me a
> "initgroups failed: Invalid argument"
>
> This seems to come from the server, reading last strace lines...
> read(4, "error 0 initgroups failed: Inval"..., 4096) = 44
> write(2, "initgroups failed: Invalid argum"..., 36initgroups failed: Invalid
> argument) = 36
>
> Does it work for anyone?

CC'ng in those that administrator that stuff ... first report I've seen go
by that there is a problem with anon-cvs ...

> Also, pgFoundry seems extremly slow, compared to other postgresql sites.

Should be fixed soon ... we're ordering in a new Dual-Athlon (first of
many planned) in order to reduce the load on the servers ... hopefully the
order will go out sometime next week, and then just as long as it takes to
get it south ... already have the space for it reserved ...

----

Date:
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am also considering moving plPerlNG to SourceForge. Although I believe
> that pgFoundry is a good idea, there just isn't enough bandwidth and
> hardware support behind the project to make it usable.

bandwidth related, I'm suspecting that alot of the problem is the Linksys
switch we threw in when we first setup the servers ... at the time, I
didn't know that it was a bad idea :(  If you do a trace to the servers,
you'll see a packet loss between 200.46.204.1 and the server itself that
just *shouldn't* be there.  Apparently, on an unmanaged switch, if you try
and hard code the ethernet on the server to 100baseT/full duplex, the
switch, for some *stupid* reason, will downgrade itself to half duplex, so
you get a whack of errors ... right now, as a result, we're running
half-duplex on the server(s), which, of course, results in high collisions
*sigh*  We're ordering in a new managed Dell Procurve switch next week, to
get that issue fixed ...

As to the hardware support itself ... see my other email ...

Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am also considering moving plPerlNG to SourceForge. Although I believe
> > that pgFoundry is a good idea, there just isn't enough bandwidth and
> > hardware support behind the project to make it usable.
>
> bandwidth related, I'm suspecting that alot of the problem is the Linksys
> switch we threw in when we first setup the servers ... at the time, I
> didn't know that it was a bad idea :(  If you do a trace to the servers,
> you'll see a packet loss between 200.46.204.1 and the server itself that
> just *shouldn't* be there.  Apparently, on an unmanaged switch, if you try
> and hard code the ethernet on the server to 100baseT/full duplex, the
> switch, for some *stupid* reason, will downgrade itself to half duplex, so
> you get a whack of errors ... right now, as a result, we're running
> half-duplex on the server(s), which, of course, results in high collisions
> *sigh*  We're ordering in a new managed Dell Procurve switch next week, to
> get that issue fixed ...
>
> As to the hardware support itself ... see my other email ...

Marc, I think you need voodoo dolls on your computers or some exorcism
ritual.  Come to think of it, the problems mostly started when moving
the servers to Central America.  Hmmm.   :-)

Date:
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am also considering moving plPerlNG to SourceForge. Although I believe
>>> that pgFoundry is a good idea, there just isn't enough bandwidth and
>>> hardware support behind the project to make it usable.
>>
>> bandwidth related, I'm suspecting that alot of the problem is the Linksys
>> switch we threw in when we first setup the servers ... at the time, I
>> didn't know that it was a bad idea :(  If you do a trace to the servers,
>> you'll see a packet loss between 200.46.204.1 and the server itself that
>> just *shouldn't* be there.  Apparently, on an unmanaged switch, if you try
>> and hard code the ethernet on the server to 100baseT/full duplex, the
>> switch, for some *stupid* reason, will downgrade itself to half duplex, so
>> you get a whack of errors ... right now, as a result, we're running
>> half-duplex on the server(s), which, of course, results in high collisions
>> *sigh*  We're ordering in a new managed Dell Procurve switch next week, to
>> get that issue fixed ...
>>
>> As to the hardware support itself ... see my other email ...
>
> Marc, I think you need voodoo dolls on your computers or some exorcism
> ritual.  Come to think of it, the problems mostly started when moving
> the servers to Central America.  Hmmm.   :-)

Oh, what a man of short-lived memory ... do you not recall the fun while
we were at Rackspace? :(

----

Re: [Gforge-admins] Re: Anonymous cvs access not

From
Andrew Dunstan
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Michael Paesold wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> it seems to me, that anonymous cvs access to pgFoundry is not
>> working, or is
>> it just a problem with this project? (tcw-w-php)
>>
>> $ cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.pgfoundry.org:/cvsroot/tpc-w-php co
>> tcpw-benchmark
>> gives me a
>> "initgroups failed: Invalid argument"
>>
>> This seems to come from the server, reading last strace lines...
>> read(4, "error 0 initgroups failed: Inval"..., 4096) = 44
>> write(2, "initgroups failed: Invalid argum"..., 36initgroups failed:
>> Invalid
>> argument) = 36
>>
>> Does it work for anyone?
>

> CC'ng in those that administrator that stuff ... first report I've
> seen go by that there is a problem with anon-cvs ...

me too. I just observed it. Might have to do with the number of groups
we have. I will check it out over the weekend.

cheers

andrew

Re: Anonymous cvs access not working in pgFoundry

From
Andrew Dunstan
Date:
I have just posted the news item below on pgfoundry.

Please note that the best way to report problems with pgfoundry is via
its bug tracking system, or you can look in the Help forums, which are
conveniently linked to from the front page. I don't have time to read
-advocacy, so talking about problems there won't get my attention at least.

cheers

andrew

----------------
*Summary:* Anonymous CVS problems partly fixed
<http://pgfoundry.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=112>

We have had to change the way we do anonymous cvs/pserver access
slightly - we hit a kernel limit that was preventing any pserver access
at all.

It should work now for all projects except these, which we will try to
fix soon: autodoc, iprange, saisewak, emailadt, pglogger, oba, qtsql,
modpglogger, and kpogre.

Thanks for your patience.

--------------------------

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Michael Paesold wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> it seems to me, that anonymous cvs access to pgFoundry is not
>> working, or is
>> it just a problem with this project? (tcw-w-php)
>>
>> $ cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.pgfoundry.org:/cvsroot/tpc-w-php co
>> tcpw-benchmark
>> gives me a
>> "initgroups failed: Invalid argument"
>>
>> This seems to come from the server, reading last strace lines...
>> read(4, "error 0 initgroups failed: Inval"..., 4096) = 44
>> write(2, "initgroups failed: Invalid argum"..., 36initgroups failed:
>> Invalid
>> argument) = 36
>>
>> Does it work for anyone?
>

> CC'ng in those that administrator that stuff ... first report I've
> seen go by that there is a problem with anon-cvs ...
>
>> Also, pgFoundry seems extremly slow, compared to other postgresql sites.
>

> Should be fixed soon ... we're ordering in a new Dual-Athlon (first of
> many planned) in order to reduce the load on the servers ... hopefully
> the order will go out sometime next week, and then just as long as it
> takes to get it south ... already have the space for it reserved ...
>
> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
> 7615664

Re: Anonymous cvs access not working in pgFoundry

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
All projects on pgFoundry should now be similarly modified ..