Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From David Costa
Subject Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Apr 5, 2004, at 11:13 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> IANAL but I think it would depend on how it was worded and whether or
> not they wanted to get ugly about it.
>
> I am actually surprised they haven't gone after the sql-info.de guys.

I checked the sql-info.de guys and frankly their strategy is less then
impressive. If you use terms like "gotchas" and mix and match features
with some irrelevant facts
(their financing has nothing to do with their product) you will only
make them more popular.

I do have a law degree ( this doesn't mean I know anything more then
you or anyone else here in Intellectual properties law, in fact my
specialization was in tax law)
and from what I saw it would be probably not a good business for MySQL
AB to sue the sql-info.de guys.

Sometimes I am amused by all the debacle on licensing because, from a
legal stand point, the main issue is enforceability and making a legal
action viable.

That said I would have never published something like that. I was
thinking about something fair.
What do I mean by fair ? Our latest version..not the 7.3 used here
http://www.mysql.com/information/features.html
;)
Cheers
David Costa