Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From David Costa
Subject Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Apr 5, 2004, at 8:00 PM, Dan Langille wrote:

>> Article discussing PHP5 says SQLite is "typically faster than MySQL,
>> significantly faster than PostgreSQL". While I don't doubt it's
>> faster at what it does (with it's small, focused feature-set), the
>> article perpuates the 'Postgres is slow' and 'MySQL is much faster
>> than Postgres' thinking that is no longer accurate.
>
> I can confirm that SQLite is faster than either MySQL or PostgreSQL
> when
> using Bacula.  I'm working on improving the PostgreSQL.

Hi Dan!
I am sure SQLite can be faster, but its not comparable with either
MySQL or PostgreSQL
so is this text based "db"  http://txtsql.sourceforge.net/

I do have SQLite actively used in a number of sites (e.g.
collegelinux.org) and frankly,
for an end user standpoint specially of a size that might be interested
in SQLite, there is really
no humanly noticeable speed difference IMHO.

When you talk about speed the average PHP developer is thinking about
his guestbook or forum becoming slower with Pgsql
and this is not true ;)

Thanks
David