Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying
Date
Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying  (David Costa <geeks@dotgeek.org>)
List pgsql-advocacy

>> We might get in trouble with their (MySQL) trademark guys with this:
>>

>> D. Damaging Use.
>>

>> The MySQL AB Marks may not be used in a manner or with respect to
>> products that will decrease the value of the MySQL AB Marks or
>> otherwise impair or damage MySQL AB's brand integrity, reputation or
>> goodwill, including (without limitation) use in a manner that is
>> unethical, offensive, disparaging, defamatory, illegal or in bad taste.
>>

> Not sure, running a benchmark is not a misusage of their trademark. try
> to google mysql vs pgsql or the other way around..some other people did
> some benchmarks already
> isn't it ?

IANAL but I think it would depend on how it was worded and whether or
not they wanted to get ugly about it.

I am actually surprised they haven't gone after the sql-info.de guys.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Joshua D. Drake
>>

>>> I think it will spice it all up. Till now we have around 300 PHP
>>> developers that started to use PostgreSQL on dotgeek and
>>> porting their application from mysql to postgresql. Looks promising ;)
>>> PHP-PostgreSQL Advocacy team     http://dotgeek.org
>>> gurugeek att php dot net  david at postgresql ddoot org
>>> $dsn = 'pgsql://world:most_advanced@localhost/open_source_database';
>>> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
>>> TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
>>>      subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
>>>      message can get through to the mailing list cleanly
>>

>> --
>> Command Prompt, Inc., home of Mammoth PostgreSQL - S/ODBC and S/JDBC
>> Postgresql support, programming shared hosting and dedicated hosting.
>> +1-503-667-4564 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
>> Mammoth PostgreSQL Replicator. Integrated Replication for PostgreSQL
>> <jd.vcf>

Attachment