Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From David Costa
Subject Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Apr 6, 2004, at 4:05 PM, Robert Treat wrote:

> One potential problem... I don't think that my$ql can actually handle
> the osdl tests. On the bright side iirc the osdl folks switched to
> studying postgresql instead of sapdb (aka max$ql) because they could
> not
> get the performance they needed from sapdb, so you might be able to do
> comparison there. But this has always been a problem with benchmarking
> my$ql with postgresql... any test complex enough to show off
> postgresql's capabilities tends to cause my$ql to fall over... not
> saying you shouldn't do it, just saying finding a good benchmark might
> be tricky.

Very true. I admittedly know very little on benchmarking but I was
thinking with something combined with practical real life tests
e.g. testing with real popular  php applications for example something
which runs on both (e.g. Phpbb ) and a sample application.

Sometimes the professional tests have little real life meaning for a
developer. Of course they might be a way to run some
other benchmarks.

When I come across to some benchmarks like this one
http://php.weblogs.com/oracle_mysql_performance where they used
PostgreSQL 7.2.3 on Win2000 well...it makes be think what the average
PHP developer will get out of it.

> BTW David, I'm sure you've seen
> http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20001112.php3?page=1 right?

yes I did but is not very new, this is why a new test with the latest
pgsql might dissipate the speed myth.

I have used MySQL and SQLite too but event with relatively big
applications and a load of traffic I can't yet
see any speed difference with PostgreSQL.  Secondly, it's not all about
speed. Data integrity should come first IMHO.

Regards,
David Costa, Dotgeek.org
PHP-PostgreSQL Advocacy team     http://dotgeek.org
gurugeek att php dot net  david at postgresql ddoot org
$dsn = 'pgsql://world:most_advanced@localhost/open_source_database';