Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From David Costa
Subject Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying
Date
Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying
List pgsql-advocacy
On Mar 31, 2004, at 4:44 AM, Jacob Hanson wrote:

> http://www.oetrends.com/news.php?action=view_record&idnum=319
>
> Article discussing PHP5 says SQLite is "typically faster than MySQL,
> significantly faster than PostgreSQL". While I don't doubt it's
> faster at what it does (with it's small, focused feature-set), the
> article perpuates the 'Postgres is slow' and 'MySQL is much faster
> than Postgres' thinking that is no longer accurate.

Hi Jacob,
I have been using SQlite in fact we offer it on dotgeek together with
postgresql in the free
package for developers. The significantly faster is irrelevant because
SQLite has a single point of access / failure
which make it interesting only for small applications.

Just an idea, why don't we run a postgresql vs mysql benchmark ? I can
put the servers, but I have little experience
on running a benchmark. If someone is willing to help I will grant him
access and we can end up with some clean results
and a nice article on dotgeek with something effective like "PostgreSQL
is faster then MySQL: Here's why"

I think it will spice it all up. Till now we have around 300 PHP
developers that started to use PostgreSQL on dotgeek and
porting their application from mysql to postgresql. Looks promising ;)

PHP-PostgreSQL Advocacy team     http://dotgeek.org
gurugeek att php dot net  david at postgresql ddoot org
$dsn = 'pgsql://world:most_advanced@localhost/open_source_database';