Quality of email postings

Date:
I am getting concerned about the quality of email traffic on the
advocacy list.  It seems postings are often not fully formed ideas and
that threads frequently go on and on with few conclusions.  I am
thinking there has to be more leadership in keeping threads on track,
and more focus in emails.

Why does this matter?  I have been approached by two sales people in the
past few days who are subscribed to advocacy and want to help
PostgreSQL, but they are wondering if the advocacy list is a useful
place for them to help.  If we don't add focus to the discussions, we
risk losing their involvement in advocating PostgreSQL.

FYI, I don't see anywhere near the same kind of unfocused discussion on
the other PostgreSQL email lists.

Re: Quality of email postings

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Date:

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> I am getting concerned about the quality of email traffic on the
>> advocacy list.  It seems postings are often not fully formed ideas and
>> that threads frequently go on and on with few conclusions.  I am
>> thinking there has to be more leadership in keeping threads on track,
>> and more focus in emails.

I am curious about this statement. The last several threads I have been
involved in have in fact come to conclusion:

More Professional PostgreSQL Presence <- Closed, with extremely positive
ending leading to impressive presence at OSCON and LinuxWorld.

Bad EDB PR <- Resolved by willingness of EDB to being more diligent
about PR.

EDB PR on EDB Postgres <- Pretty much a low level discussion started by
Lukas, ended up with several good conclusions including agreement that
we need slightly more defined posting requirements. Also included Derek
from EDB who explained very well what there intent was, again positive
ending. Also included some good history recollection for the community.

Other recent postings:

Advocacy Wiki <- This one did get a little out of hand but was quickly
resolved in house by Dpage and Myself realizing we were cross arguing.
Positive result was provided by better permissions on wiki *and*
technical definition of requirements for sponsor page to be managed.

Alexa for PostgreSQL <- Got to give Andy credit for even trying on that
one but no flames resulted and the matter appears closed.

New Database Attack <- Debunked the problem, thread closed

>> Why does this matter?  I have been approached by two sales people in the
>> past few days who are subscribed to advocacy and want to help

It certainly matters however keep in mind that PostgreSQL Advocacy is an
*open* list about all things adovocating PostgreSQL. That is an
extremely broad topic and there are bound to be things that don't suit
one person or another.

>> PostgreSQL, but they are wondering if the advocacy list is a useful
>> place for them to help.  If we don't add focus to the discussions, we
>> risk losing their involvement in advocating PostgreSQL.

Although I think your idea is in the right place. Heck I personally told
Derek to participate, I think it is reasonable to expect that they are
going to have to suck it up a little bit. This is the Open Range man.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Quality of email postings

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I am getting concerned about the quality of email traffic on the
> > advocacy list.  It seems postings are often not fully formed ideas and
> > that threads frequently go on and on with few conclusions.  I am
> > thinking there has to be more leadership in keeping threads on track,
> > and more focus in emails.
> >
> > Why does this matter?  I have been approached by two sales people in the
> > past few days who are subscribed to advocacy and want to help
> > PostgreSQL, but they are wondering if the advocacy list is a useful
> > place for them to help.  If we don't add focus to the discussions, we
> > risk losing their involvement in advocating PostgreSQL.
> >
> > FYI, I don't see anywhere near the same kind of unfocused discussion on
> > the other PostgreSQL email lists.
>
> What are you actually proposing?

I am suggesting that more people need to get involved directing the
discussion, summarizing previous postings, keeping the discussion on
topic, and moving it toward a conclusion.

This happens pretty effectively on the other PostgreSQL lists.

Re: Quality of email postings

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Other recent postings:
>
> Advocacy Wiki <- This one did get a little out of hand but was quickly

Quickly revolved?

  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-advocacy/2007-08/threads.php#00039

> resolved in house by Dpage and Myself realizing we were cross arguing.
> Positive result was provided by better permissions on wiki *and*
> technical definition of requirements for sponsor page to be managed.
>
> Alexa for PostgreSQL <- Got to give Andy credit for even trying on that
> one but no flames resulted and the matter appears closed.
>
> New Database Attack <- Debunked the problem, thread closed
>

> >> Why does this matter?  I have been approached by two sales people in the
> >> past few days who are subscribed to advocacy and want to help
>
> It certainly matters however keep in mind that PostgreSQL Advocacy is an
> *open* list about all things advocating PostgreSQL. That is an
> extremely broad topic and there are bound to be things that don't suit
> one person or another.

The bottom line is that even though I am interested in advocacy I am
starting to skip advocacy threads because the signal to noise ratio is
just too low, and I now hear other feel the same way.

See my other posting about suggestions to improve things.  Obviously I
realize this is open source and lots of issues are going to come up, but
the question is whether there is room for improvement and whether more
leadership and self-policing will improve things.

Date:

Re: Quality of email postings

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Quality of email postings

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > See my other posting about suggestions to improve things.  Obviously I
> > realize this is open source and lots of issues are going to come up, but
> > the question is whether there is room for improvement and whether more
> > leadership and self-policing will improve things.
>
> Well "leadership" in this vein is a red herring unless you want to start
> moderating. Self policing is something that we *all* should do better.

Leadership isn't just moderating. It is summarizing and trying to move
the discussion toward a conclusion.  However, you seems to think things
are working fine on advocacy so I will just let things remain the same
until others feel there is a problem.

Re: Quality of email postings

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Guys,

For the sake of argument please consider the idea that the advocacy mail list is one of the most important mail lists
thatwe've got. It's the only one that is dedicated to advocacy. Hence politics and difference of opinion is an
expected,and even encouraged, outcome.

I don't talk about it much on the mail list but those of you who've I've met face to face know that I live and work in
anenvironment of 'real' politics i.e. I work with politicians and mid to senior level civil servants here in Ottawa.

I've been impatiently waiting for this kind of explosion of opinion to happen for the past few years and now its
finallyhappening. It's a good sign, there's change in the wind. And yes, we need change. Real change.

I suggest you leave things as they are. Get used to it. As for the new people, such as the sales and marketing people,
pleasedon't worry about them as they deal with people not code. They're adept in this kind of environment and all would
dowell to watch them in action.

One last comment, kind of obvious but it doesn't hurt to repeat it, be as vociferous as you like but attack the ideas
andnot the person.

Robert Bernier

On Friday 10 August 2007 01:50, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:

> >> What are you actually proposing?
> >
> > I am suggesting that more people need to get involved directing the
> > discussion, summarizing previous postings, keeping the discussion on
> > topic, and moving it toward a conclusion.
>
> When this is attempted it is ignored. Even by core members such as
> yourself, Berkus and Page. The last two *ahem* active threads I was
> involved in, I on multiple occasions tried to move threads to more
> proper forums only to be ignored.
>
> Hijacking threads is common nature, especially when dealing with
> something that is ethereal. It doesn't happen on other lists because
> other lists are about very specific problems or patches. Advocacy is not
> such a list.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

> > This happens pretty effectively on the other PostgreSQL lists.

Re: Quality of email postings

From
"Mike Ellsworth"
Date:
On 8/10/07, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > See my other posting about suggestions to improve things.  Obviously I
> > realize this is open source and lots of issues are going to come up, but
> > the question is whether there is room for improvement and whether more
> > leadership and self-policing will improve things.
>
> Well "leadership" in this vein is a red herring unless you want to start
> moderating. Self policing is something that we *all* should do better.

The provided description of Advocacy is: "PostgreSQL vs. the rest. Promotional ideas, etc.",
and would seem to be a good place to start.  Change 'description' to Objective.  Restate the sentence as an Objective. Set specific, chewable, sub-objectives.  Then add in the Promotional ideas to achieve each specific objective.  Develop very specific task lists (similar to a Roadmap). Get volunteer(s).  Then do it and attempt to measure results.

Anytime I see "etc." in any sentence, to me it means "wing it".  I brought up the same general thread a few years ago. There is no Marketing Plan.  Until there is, the Advocacy list will remain an exercise in "etc.".  At the time I was told (+ - ), "don't go there."

Man 1: "Can you give me some directions?"
Man 2: "Sure, what's your destination?"
Man 1: "Damned if I know."
Man 2: "There's your answer.".

Re: Quality of email postings

From
Gregory Stark
Date:
"Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us> writes:

> I am getting concerned about the quality of email traffic on the
> advocacy list.  It seems postings are often not fully formed ideas and
> that threads frequently go on and on with few conclusions.  I am
> thinking there has to be more leadership in keeping threads on track,
> and more focus in emails.

I propose that we restrict advocacy to be writable by only the www team.
Everyone else can send their suggested posts to them and they can edit them
and post them. That way the discussions will represent only a professional
appearance and we can avoid having porn posted on the advocacy mailing list.

--
  Gregory Stark

Date:

Date:

Date:

Date:

> Gregory Stark wrote:
>> "Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
>>
>>> I am getting concerned about the quality of email traffic on the
>>> advocacy list.  It seems postings are often not fully formed ideas and
>>> that threads frequently go on and on with few conclusions.  I am
>>> thinking there has to be more leadership in keeping threads on track,
>>> and more focus in emails.
>>
>> I propose that we restrict advocacy to be writable by only the www team.
>> Everyone else can send their suggested posts to them and they can edit them
>> and post them. That way the discussions will represent only a professional
>> appearance and we can avoid having porn posted on the advocacy mailing list.
>
> I can only assume that this is a joke but with Greg I can never tell. :P

A more biting insult I've never seen :(

I'll have to try harder to be more outrageous in future.

--
  Gregory Stark

Date:

Re: Quality of email postings

From
JoshuaKramer
Date:
> I suggest you leave things as they are. Get used to it. As for the new
> people, such as the sales and marketing people, please don't worry about
> them as they deal with people not code. They're adept in this kind of
> environment and all would do well to watch them in action.

It's all really a matter of perspective.  In my opinion this particular
brouhaha got started as a result of a) The EnterpriseDB posting, and b)
the fact that the person approving press release postings works for
EnterpriseDB.  Obviously the perspectives of those who work for
EnterpriseDB are different than the perspectives of those who work for
CMD, and those are even different than the perspectives of people like me
who don't work for any consulting firm.

I know, I probably just nominated myself for the "Longest DUH scentence of
the year", but it's important to keep this in mind because I'm sure that
people in the community, who have their own perspectives, would have
similar perspectives to those working for EnterpriseDB, if they were
working for EnterpriseDB.  ($10 to the first person who can use
"perspective" and "EnterpriseDB" more times than I did in one scentence!)

Bashing someone over the head with a verbal shard, or making comments with
condascending or sharp overtones doesn't help anybody, even though we're
all guilty of it.  Technical people like us usually are.  Instead, try to
put yourself in the other person's shoes and say something like, "I know
with your marketing expertise it makes sense to do X, but here's where X
harms the community.  If you could consider doing Y instead, that would
help you in these ways..."

Furthermore, comments like "Face it, Momjian, you don't hold the sway you
used to, nor will you ever again.  Back off."  If Momjian is indeed
loosing sway - perhaps because he's bolted himself down - then he probably
knows it and nothing is solved by rubbing his nose in it.  If Momjian is
still swaying with great berth (perhaps because he's in a tornado), then
the utterer of such a statement appears to be a fool.

The more cohesive we appear as a community, able to solve our
disagreements quickly and with eloquence, the better it is for us (and the
more we can laugh at things like MySQL closing their Enterprisey
Source)...

Cheers,
-J

Date:

>>> I can only assume that this is a joke but with Greg I can never tell. :P
>>
>> A more biting insult I've never seen :(
>
> I am sorry, I really did not mean it to be an insult.

Sorry, "criticism" or something like that would have been more accurate.

But I'm not sure how I could have made that message any more outrageous than
it was...

--
  Gregory Stark

Date:

Re: Quality of email postings

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Joshua,

> Furthermore, comments like "Face it, Momjian, you don't hold the sway you
> used to, nor will you ever again.  Back off."  If Momjian is indeed
> loosing sway - perhaps because he's bolted himself down - then he probably
> knows it and nothing is solved by rubbing his nose in it.  If Momjian is
> still swaying with great berth (perhaps because he's in a tornado), then
> the utterer of such a statement appears to be a fool.

Oh ... my ... gods.  I nearly choked on my breakfast.

Just FYI, this list is required to be at least 15% postings by people named
"Josh".  Since traffic has picked up, we've brought Joshua in.  If this list
gets more popular, we'll have to activate the Joshua Reserves.  ;-)

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Quality of email postings

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

I think that people on this list just need more concrete Advocacy things to
do.  The list starts to look trivial because most of the important Advocacy
stuff happens off-list.

So, next week, I'm dumping a list of things that need help.  Get ready!

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Quality of email postings

Date:
Gregory Stark wrote:

> "Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
>
> > I am getting concerned about the quality of email traffic on the
> > advocacy list.  It seems postings are often not fully formed ideas and
> > that threads frequently go on and on with few conclusions.  I am
> > thinking there has to be more leadership in keeping threads on track,
> > and more focus in emails.
>
> I propose that we restrict advocacy to be writable by only the www team.
> Everyone else can send their suggested posts to them and they can edit them
> and post them. That way the discussions will represent only a professional
> appearance and we can avoid having porn posted on the advocacy mailing list.

That would be appropriate only if we created a new advocacy-announce
email list to function this way.

Re: Quality of email postings

Date:
JoshuaKramer wrote:

> > I suggest you leave things as they are. Get used to it. As for the new
> > people, such as the sales and marketing people, please don't worry about
> > them as they deal with people not code. They're adept in this kind of
> > environment and all would do well to watch them in action.
>
> It's all really a matter of perspective.  In my opinion this particular
> brouhaha got started as a result of a) The EnterpriseDB posting, and b)
> the fact that the person approving press release postings works for
> EnterpriseDB.  Obviously the perspectives of those who work for
> EnterpriseDB are different than the perspectives of those who work for
> CMD, and those are even different than the perspectives of people like me
> who don't work for any consulting firm.

Just to be concrete, I think the EnterpriseDB discussions where quite
focused, mostly.  The things that stick in my head from the past are
discussions about the blue Italian t-shirts, the wiki discussion, and
various other threads.  Josh Berkus already brought up the bike shed
effect and I think it is a useful concept in getting focus:

    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-07/msg00983.php

Let me tell you what one of the sales people told me, "I start Monday
not having read email over the weekend, and I have 80 new messages, 79
are from advocacy about some trivial topic".  And I have to say I feel
that way too sometimes.  Now perhaps it is because I am not as
interested in advocacy as other PostgreSQL topics, which is kind of
true, but part of it is that bike shed discussions get really long and
are usually quite uninteresting.  Perhaps there is no way to improve
that --- I am just asking.

In general, I do like the advocacy postings because they discuss how
PostgreSQL relates to the real world.

And way off topic, does anyone else have trouble saying "advocacy"?
Email me privately and I will post a summary.  FYI, this is a good way
to condense discussion threads and might work for other topics.

Re: Quality of email postings

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Fri, 10 Aug 2007, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Just FYI, this list is required to be at least 15% postings by people named
> "Josh".  Since traffic has picked up, we've brought Joshua in.

I joined the list recently specifically to help meet the quota for
outrageous statements from people named "Greg".  To that end, I would like
to point out that I completely disagree with Greg Stark's earlier
suggestions.  I feel that regular posting of porn to the advocacy list
will help draw additional subscribers and provide a welcome break from the
overly serious tone here.

Re: Quality of email postings

From
Chris Browne
Date:
josh@agliodbs.com (Josh Berkus) writes:
> I think that people on this list just need more concrete Advocacy things to
> do.  The list starts to look trivial because most of the important Advocacy
> stuff happens off-list.
>
> So, next week, I'm dumping a list of things that need help.  Get ready!

Pretty high on the list should be the preparation of 8.3 release
notes; even if we're not quite ready, because a few features are still
being worked on, there's a lot of material on committed items that
very likely *is* ready to be commented on.

Given that, there are a couple of us that are likely to process *that*
into some presentations on the merits of 8.3, for presentation in the
fall.
--
output = reverse("gro.mca" "@" "enworbbc")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/rdbms.html

Re: Quality of email postings

From
Kevin Hunter
Date:
At 9:44a -0400 on 10 Aug 2007, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Leadership isn't just moderating. It is summarizing and trying to move
>> the discussion toward a conclusion.  However, you seems to think things
>> are working fine on advocacy so I will just let things remain the same
>> until others feel there is a problem.
>
> Woah now :). I didn't say they were *fine* but I don't think that we
> need some kind of oversight. I would agree that threads to get out of
> hand sometimes but I would also state that our community is pretty good
> at getting them back together without additional help.

To further this thought, I get the impression from most folks (and my
company is no exception) that internal squabbles happen *all the time*.
 It's just part-and-parcel of having (very) smart people work together
with slightly different notions of "how things ought to be done."
Frankly, as largely a lurker on these lists, I'm damned impressed with
the speed at which y'all "make it right" on the lists, and the general
good attitude involved during discussions.  Mistakes are made, but in
the end, to me at least, it's clear we're all on the same side, wanting
to make Postgres a better product and make it more helpful for the
community at large.

So yes, things do get out of hand, but I like the fact you're open about
it.  I know not everyone shares my particular point of view, but
professional is as professional does.  Sometimes, professional means
having heated debates, and sometimes professional makes mistakes.  But
like it or not, these heated debates almost /always/ come to a positive
conclusion on these lists, and mean something better for the Postgres
project/community.

My observer's $0.02.

Kevin

Re: Quality of email postings

From
Decibel!
Date:
Here's my perspective as an EnterpriseDB employee, which I suspect will
match the perspective of many other EnterpriseDB employees, as well as
the perspective of many folks who work for PostgreSQL companies other
than EnterpriseDB: (BTW, JoshKramer, you now owe me $10. Just send it to
SPI.)

Bruce is right, bikeshedding on this list list is a very big danger.
Advocacy is something everyone feels they can at least talk about,
unlike many other discussions on other lists. I'm not sure if this is
good or bad... the upside is that we can get some ideas that otherwise
wouldn't be heard.

But the problem is that trying to keep up with this list can be a big
burden for anyone who's not used to the lists. There's an interesting
effect I've noticed... when a thread "takes off" on this list, it's
basically guaranteed to hit at least 30 emails, and often within just a
day or two. It's pretty rare for threads to do that on other lists.
Again, I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

Perhaps the best idea would be to encourage new folks to get involved in
the list first, and the see how things go. If after a month (or
whatever) it's still an issue, hopefully they will have more specific
critiques of what's wrong so that we can focus on that.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org

Re: Quality of email postings

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Bruce,

> Let me tell you what one of the sales people told me, "I start Monday
> not having read email over the weekend, and I have 80 new messages, 79
> are from advocacy about some trivial topic".

Related to this, I created the "marketing-professionals" list for PostgreSQL,
a *closed* list, specifically so that Marketing/Sales/PR people from the
various PostgreSQL companies who aren't comfortable with the freewheeling
nature of public PostgreSQL lists would have a place to go.  That list isn't
seeing much use, including by the EnterpriseDB guys. So if they feel put off
by the volume, they can (and should) use that list.  THey're certainly not
using it right now.

Then they can use an e-mail filter on this list and only reply to stuff which
has the word "EnterpriseDB" in it.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Quality of email postings

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have been approached by two sales people in the
> past few days who are subscribed to advocacy and want to help
> PostgreSQL, but they are wondering if the advocacy list is a useful
> place for them to help.

It has also been theorized before that a lot more developers would help
us if there was less chitchat and more focus on the hackers list.  I
say, deal with it.  Either it's an open community or it's not.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Quality of email postings

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
You're kidding right?

This is a list for discussing advocacy, and should be open to the
whole community who is interested, just as it has been.

I think this list would ultimately be less volatile if EDB stopped
making claims that pisses off members of the community not directly
related to EDB.

I appreciate EDB's contributions and efforts, but bite my tongue in
joining in on the long threads because it's not productive to do so.

Attempting to close off this list will ultimately fracture our
community, this is not an announcement list.  This is a list for
members to discuss advocacy, promotion and related issues.  Just
because EDB is catching heat for its poor choice in marketing terms
doesn't mean that this list should be closed.

I respect Bruce, EDB and all the other parties who participate here,
but this thread and direction flies in the face of all the efforts and
accomplishments that have happened because of this list and the nature
of the list.

Regards,

Gavin

On 8/10/07, Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> "Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
>
> > I am getting concerned about the quality of email traffic on the
> > advocacy list.  It seems postings are often not fully formed ideas and
> > that threads frequently go on and on with few conclusions.  I am
> > thinking there has to be more leadership in keeping threads on track,
> > and more focus in emails.
>
> I propose that we restrict advocacy to be writable by only the www team.
> Everyone else can send their suggested posts to them and they can edit them
> and post them. That way the discussions will represent only a professional
> appearance and we can avoid having porn posted on the advocacy mailing list.
>
> --
>   Gregory Stark
>   EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: PLEASE READ FIRST! Re: Quality of email postings

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
READ THIS BEFORE YOU REPLY!

> This is a list for discussing advocacy, and should be open to the
> whole community who is interested, just as it has been.

Please nobody respond to Gavin Roy's posting.  That posting was not supposed
to be approved; Gavin realized that it was a joke and tried to cancel it.
However, Marc appears to have approved it before I could delete it.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: PLEASE READ FIRST! Re: Quality of email postings

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
JD,

> Hard to approve postings on an open list...???

He sent it from a non-subscribed address, actually.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun