Re: Quality of email postings - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From JoshuaKramer
Subject Re: Quality of email postings
Date
Re: Quality of email postings  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-advocacy
> I suggest you leave things as they are. Get used to it. As for the new
> people, such as the sales and marketing people, please don't worry about
> them as they deal with people not code. They're adept in this kind of
> environment and all would do well to watch them in action.

It's all really a matter of perspective.  In my opinion this particular
brouhaha got started as a result of a) The EnterpriseDB posting, and b)
the fact that the person approving press release postings works for
EnterpriseDB.  Obviously the perspectives of those who work for
EnterpriseDB are different than the perspectives of those who work for
CMD, and those are even different than the perspectives of people like me
who don't work for any consulting firm.

I know, I probably just nominated myself for the "Longest DUH scentence of
the year", but it's important to keep this in mind because I'm sure that
people in the community, who have their own perspectives, would have
similar perspectives to those working for EnterpriseDB, if they were
working for EnterpriseDB.  ($10 to the first person who can use
"perspective" and "EnterpriseDB" more times than I did in one scentence!)

Bashing someone over the head with a verbal shard, or making comments with
condascending or sharp overtones doesn't help anybody, even though we're
all guilty of it.  Technical people like us usually are.  Instead, try to
put yourself in the other person's shoes and say something like, "I know
with your marketing expertise it makes sense to do X, but here's where X
harms the community.  If you could consider doing Y instead, that would
help you in these ways..."

Furthermore, comments like "Face it, Momjian, you don't hold the sway you
used to, nor will you ever again.  Back off."  If Momjian is indeed
loosing sway - perhaps because he's bolted himself down - then he probably
knows it and nothing is solved by rubbing his nose in it.  If Momjian is
still swaying with great berth (perhaps because he's in a tornado), then
the utterer of such a statement appears to be a fool.

The more cohesive we appear as a community, able to solve our
disagreements quickly and with eloquence, the better it is for us (and the
more we can laugh at things like MySQL closing their Enterprisey
Source)...

Cheers,
-J