Re: Quality of email postings - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Kevin Hunter
Subject Re: Quality of email postings
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
At 9:44a -0400 on 10 Aug 2007, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Leadership isn't just moderating. It is summarizing and trying to move
>> the discussion toward a conclusion.  However, you seems to think things
>> are working fine on advocacy so I will just let things remain the same
>> until others feel there is a problem.
>
> Woah now :). I didn't say they were *fine* but I don't think that we
> need some kind of oversight. I would agree that threads to get out of
> hand sometimes but I would also state that our community is pretty good
> at getting them back together without additional help.

To further this thought, I get the impression from most folks (and my
company is no exception) that internal squabbles happen *all the time*.
 It's just part-and-parcel of having (very) smart people work together
with slightly different notions of "how things ought to be done."
Frankly, as largely a lurker on these lists, I'm damned impressed with
the speed at which y'all "make it right" on the lists, and the general
good attitude involved during discussions.  Mistakes are made, but in
the end, to me at least, it's clear we're all on the same side, wanting
to make Postgres a better product and make it more helpful for the
community at large.

So yes, things do get out of hand, but I like the fact you're open about
it.  I know not everyone shares my particular point of view, but
professional is as professional does.  Sometimes, professional means
having heated debates, and sometimes professional makes mistakes.  But
like it or not, these heated debates almost /always/ come to a positive
conclusion on these lists, and mean something better for the Postgres
project/community.

My observer's $0.02.

Kevin