Re: Changes to Contributor List

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Peter,

> Btw., what process is used to determine which organizations become a
> "recognised contributor"?

Yeah, that's another "ToDo" item ... your company needs to go up there.

Criteria are major code contributions and/or sponsoring a full-time developer.
We've discussed it on -CORE some, but not come to a specific determination of
the level required.   However, between you & M &  LinuxWorld etc. your
company definitely qualifies.

And if we're gonna continue this thread, we should move it to -Advocacy.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Changes to Contributor List

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Josh Berkus writes:

> And if we're gonna continue this thread, we should move it to -Advocacy.

I'm a bit lost here.

It was recently said very clearly, "The target audience of the advocacy
site is PHB's, not technical people."  And the content of the site
supports that in my mind.  Yet, the advocacy group keeps absorbing more
and more tasks that are not strictly related to development, but are
clearly not targeting PHB's exclusively either.  There is a wide spectrum
between the PostgreSQL guru on the one side and the PHB on the other side.
(And the middle of the spectrum happens to be the largest part.) Those are
the people I see coming to presentations, expositions, those are the
people I am targeting when I'm making flyers, write books and magazine
articles, prepare training classes.  Those are the people who actually
come to our web site in search of information.  Those are the people who
will like to read a nice press release that is not a bare change log but
still free of marketing BS.  But nobody's addressing those people.

So please, declare your intentions and make them consistent with your
actions.

Until then, or in any case, the discussion list of the development group
is the right place to discuss who gets to be a recognized contributor of
that same development group.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Changes to Contributor List

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Peter,

> I'm a bit lost here.

I was discussing specifically the "Recognized Corporate Contributors" which
is, AFAIK, strictly a PHB thing, no?

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Date:
Josh Berkus writes:

> I was discussing specifically the "Recognized Corporate Contributors" which
> is, AFAIK, strictly a PHB thing, no?

No.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Changes to Contributor List

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Peter,

> > I was discussing specifically the "Recognized Corporate Contributors"
which
> > is, AFAIK, strictly a PHB thing, no?
>
> No.

Please explain.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Date:
Josh Berkus writes:

> > > I was discussing specifically the "Recognized Corporate Contributors" which
> > > is, AFAIK, strictly a PHB thing, no?
> >
> > No.
>
> Please explain.

I don't see anything in this project that should be strictly a PHB thing,
the exception maybe being the weird whitepaper someone is going to write
sometime.  Anything else is intended for a greatly diverse audience, who
may be engineers or decision makers, who may be technically incompetent,
technically open-minded, or technical experts, and who may or may not have
varying degrees of clues about open source, databases, and PostgreSQL.
In other words, the general public.  If you disagree, then maybe we should
split up into advocacy-for-phbs and advocacy-for-real-people groups.

Moreover, you seem to imply that the list of companies should primarily be
a marketing instrument of the PostgreSQL project for attracting new users.
I don't understand that.  I would understand it if the list contained a
large number of "big names", but it does not, and it is not set up to
strive for that goal.  Right now, the list is nothing more than a
marketing tool for the listed companies for attracting existing users to
them.

I think that list is a pretty dumb idea in the first place.  We have a
list of developers with company names next to them.  Let readers make
their own recognition evaluation.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: [HACKERS] Changes to Contributor List

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 09:08:57PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> I think that list is a pretty dumb idea in the first place.  We have a
> list of developers with company names next to them.  Let readers make
> their own recognition evaluation.

I'm not sure that's all it's for.  Every time we talk about using
Postgres, people want to know who else uses it.  It's really strange,
but for some reason, people seem to believe that a product isn't any
good unless a large number of people are already using it, and that
it _is_ good if a large number of people do use it.  (I guess the idea
is that all those Windows users can't be wrong.  Oh, wait. . .)

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: [HACKERS] Changes to Contributor List

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

  My feeling is that advocacy should be just that: Advocacy.
It doesn't matter who the intended audience is in reality. However,
it is also important to remember that technical experts typically
don't need to be sold on PostgreSQL.

  PHBs on the other hand probably do and thus much of our
Advocacy work should be geared towards them. I believe
one place where we are particularly week is PostgreSQL
versus MySQL.

   We should have mountains of dead tree printables on why
you should use PostgreSQL and why you shouldn't use mySQL.
This can be done in a non-flammatory way.

Sincerely,

Joshua Drake

+1-503-222-2783 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org - http://www.postgresql.org

Re: Changes to Contributor List

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Peter,

> Right now, the list is nothing more than a
> marketing tool for the listed companies for attracting existing users to
> them.

Yes?   That's exactly the intention -- so that existing users and interested
parties can see the companies that give major resources to the project.
This has a dual purpose: it both provides free advertising for the companies
as a tit-for-tat, and shows potential adopters that PostgreSQL is not 100%
hobby developers coding in their free time.

> I think that list is a pretty dumb idea in the first place.  We have a
> list of developers with company names next to them.  Let readers make
> their own recognition evaluation.

You seem pretty opposed to the corporate list given that one of your
co-workers just requested to be on it.

To paraphrase one of my friends who works for an ad agency:  "Peter, we're not
advertising to YOU."    That page is not there for you or for people like
you.  It is there for IT department managers, PHBs, people considering
PostgreSQL, and people looking for high-end paid support.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Andrew Sullivan wrote:

>On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 09:08:57PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>

>>I think that list is a pretty dumb idea in the first place.  We have a
>>list of developers with company names next to them.  Let readers make
>>their own recognition evaluation.

Your assuming that people are intelligent. In general they are not. In
general
people want to see that Cisco, Afilias, RedHat, ACS etc... use PostgreSQL.
They want graphics, they want teddy bears.

>I'm not sure that's all it's for.  Every time we talk about using
>Postgres, people want to know who else uses it.  It's really strange,
>but for some reason, people seem to believe that a product isn't any
>good unless a large number of people are already using it, and that
>it _is_ good if a large number of people do use it.  (I guess the idea
>is that all those Windows users can't be wrong.  Oh, wait. . .)

+1-503-222-2783 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org - http://www.postgresql.org

Re: [HACKERS] Changes to Contributor List

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
*This* we can move to -advocacy. :-)

Joshua D. Drake writes:

> it is also important to remember that technical experts typically
> don't need to be sold on PostgreSQL.

I think this assumption is flawed.  For example, I think it'd be fair to
consider myself a technical expert who is informed about open source.
Yet, here are some things you would realy need to sell me on:

Debian
GNOME
vi
OpenOffice
Python
Interbase

(Please don't, I'm happy with what I have. :-) )

And that is just one case, not covering the varying degrees between
"expert", "aware", and "ignorant".

At the expo last week, we had over a hundred visitors, of which none were
PHBs, only a handful were relatively ignorant, but over half of the crowd
wanted to be "sold" in one way or another.

With those people, "selling" is more likely to be fruitful and rewarding.
But it needs to be done.

>    We should have mountains of dead tree printables on why
> you should use PostgreSQL and why you shouldn't use mySQL.
> This can be done in a non-flammatory way.

I think the very fact that you'd do it would be interpreted negatively by
many people.  I talked to some other major projects at the expo who have
obvious opponents.  They make it a policy not to do direct comparisons,
out of respect and decency.  That's tough, but I think it's the way to go.

--

Date:
Andrew Sullivan writes:

> I'm not sure that's all it's for.  Every time we talk about using
> Postgres, people want to know who else uses it.

True, but for that you're looking at the wrong list.  This is the list of
contributors, not of users.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: [HACKERS] Changes to Contributor List

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Guys,

> >    We should have mountains of dead tree printables on why
> > you should use PostgreSQL and why you shouldn't use mySQL.
> > This can be done in a non-flammatory way.
>
> I think the very fact that you'd do it would be interpreted negatively by
> many people.  I talked to some other major projects at the expo who have
> obvious opponents.  They make it a policy not to do direct comparisons,
> out of respect and decency.  That's tough, but I think it's the way to go.

I for one think that we should do comparisons with *all* major databases, not
just MySQL.  In fact, maybe we should start with Oracle, DB2, or (my
favorite) MS SQL Server first.   Go where the money is, y'know?

Especially since most of (certainly not all of) the MySQL people have been
trying to patch things up lately.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Date:
Josh Berkus writes:

> Yes?   That's exactly the intention -- so that existing users and interested
> parties can see the companies that give major resources to the project.

Yes, but existing users and most interested parties don't fall into the
PHB category, nor do most PHB's fall into the existing users or interested
parties category, nor do most existing users fall into the group that one
advocates to.  Hence my original point: the list of supporting companies
does not primarily belong in the advocacy realm.

> You seem pretty opposed to the corporate list given that one of your
> co-workers just requested to be on it.

Well, if there must be a list, then why not be on it? :-)

> It is there for IT department managers, PHBs, people considering
> PostgreSQL, and people looking for high-end paid support.

Great, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Changes to Contributor List

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Peter,

> Hence my original point: the list of supporting companies
> does not primarily belong in the advocacy realm.

But it does!   You pointed it out yourself .... for the hackers & OSS tech
people, they can just look at the descriptions of the major contributors and
figure things out for themselves.   They don't need a list with company logos
& links.

This is important because we've (people on the Advocacy list) briefly
discussed expanding this page to cover companies which, in the future, make
*financial* contributions to PostgreSQL ... sort of a "corporate donors"
page.   This works very well in standard nonprofit fundraising; the project
gets $, and the donors get publicity.  Obviously, contributors would have to
be categorized, but that's an issue for when we're ready to set it up.

> > It is there for IT department managers, PHBs, people considering
> > PostgreSQL, and people looking for high-end paid support.
>
> Great, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

I can't tell over e-mail whether you're agreeing with me or being sarcastic.
Clue?

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Date:
Josh Berkus writes:

> But it does!   You pointed it out yourself .... for the hackers & OSS tech
> people, they can just look at the descriptions of the major contributors and
> figure things out for themselves.   They don't need a list with company logos
> & links.

Other people have pointed out that this is not really sufficient.  So if
there is to be a separate company list, then it should be next to the
individuals list.

> This is important because we've (people on the Advocacy list) briefly
> discussed expanding this page to cover companies which, in the future, make
> *financial* contributions to PostgreSQL ... sort of a "corporate donors"
> page.   This works very well in standard nonprofit fundraising; the project
> gets $, and the donors get publicity.  Obviously, contributors would have to
> be categorized, but that's an issue for when we're ready to set it up.

When we're ready.  But we're not.

But then again, this sort of list would mostly be of use to existing
users, in the sense, "They support a project I like, so I like them."
You could only really make use of that for attracting potential users if
you could make a clear case the the amount of donations is sufficient to
guarantee any kind of longevity of the project.  I think that will be hard
to do (because there is, in fact, absolutely no relation).  But hopefully,
by the time we've arrived there, this silly web site fragmentation will be
over and this question will be moot.

--

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Peter,
>
> > Btw., what process is used to determine which organizations become a
> > "recognised contributor"?
>
> Yeah, that's another "ToDo" item ... your company needs to go up there.
>
> Criteria are major code contributions and/or sponsoring a full-time developer.
> We've discussed it on -CORE some, but not come to a specific determination of
> the level required.   However, between you & M &  LinuxWorld etc. your
> company definitely qualifies.

I don't think the developers have to be full-time, like me and Tom.  Any
company that consistently contributes developer time for items other
than "we need a feature" should be listed, I think.  Peter, for example,
isn't full-time PostgreSQL, but is contributing greatly, and Command
Prompt has offered to contribute a developer toward Win32 --- I am
seeing more and more of these folks coming around, and it is beefing up
our development team.  We can help these companies also by providing
speaking and trade show opportunities.

Re: Changes to Contributor List

    You:  I want to spend an hour a day at work on PostgreSQL
          community work.
    Boss: Hmm.  (How do I justify this?)
    You:  Our company will be listed on the main PostgreSQL web
          site.
    Boss: Fine.  (That gives me a legitimate business purpose.)

This is why listing companies/individuals is good for several reasons,
and this is one of them.

Date:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 09:08:57PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >
> > I think that list is a pretty dumb idea in the first place.  We have a
> > list of developers with company names next to them.  Let readers make
> > their own recognition evaluation.
>
> I'm not sure that's all it's for.  Every time we talk about using
> Postgres, people want to know who else uses it.  It's really strange,
> but for some reason, people seem to believe that a product isn't any
> good unless a large number of people are already using it, and that
> it _is_ good if a large number of people do use it.  (I guess the idea
> is that all those Windows users can't be wrong.  Oh, wait. . .)

You have heard the term "first adopters".  These people want to be
second adopters.  :-)

Date:
On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 09:57:12PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> True, but for that you're looking at the wrong list.  This is the list of
> contributors, not of users.

I tend to agree with that.  Maybe the trick is to talk about
"featured users" or something?  I dunno, I keep trying to keep the
points off my hair.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: [HACKERS] Changes to Contributor List

Date:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 09:57:12PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >
> > True, but for that you're looking at the wrong list.  This is the list of
> > contributors, not of users.
>
> I tend to agree with that.  Maybe the trick is to talk about
> "featured users" or something?  I dunno, I keep trying to keep the
> points off my hair.

Maybe a "developer of the month" feature.  :-)

Re: [HACKERS] Changes to Contributor List

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 10:24:04AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Maybe a "developer of the month" feature.  :-)

It would be quite cool if, say, General Bits could ocassionaly carry an
interview with a Postgres developer.
(Now that would be a mess to translate)

"Linux transformó mi computadora, de una `máquina para hacer cosas',
en un aparato realmente entretenido, sobre el cual cada día aprendo
algo nuevo" (Jaime Salinas)

Re: [HACKERS] Changes to Contributor List

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
After a long battle with technology,alvherre@dcc.uchile.cl (Alvaro Herrera), an earthling, wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 10:24:04AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>> Maybe a "developer of the month" feature.  :-)
>
> It would be quite cool if, say, General Bits could ocassionaly carry an
> interview with a Postgres developer.
> (Now that would be a mess to translate)

_I_ think that some inquiries should be made back and forth between
some combination of [Core Guys] and [Linux Magazine] for an interview.

There have lately been conspicuous interviews in LM with 'high ranking
folks' associated with such notable systems as:

 - XFree86 (various participants)
 - Linux 2.6 (Andrew Morton)
 - Beowulf (various participants)
 - Perl (Damien Conway)
 - That other database system :-)

A discussion that drew in several of the PG "Core" would likely make
good reading, and a goodly attraction of interest.
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','ntlug.org').
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/advocacy.html

PHB?

From
Anastasios Hatzis
Date:
Uhm, what does 'PHB' mean?

Anastasios

Re: PHB?

Date:
Anastasios Hatzis wrote:
> Uhm, what does 'PHB' mean?

Pointy-haired boss, from the Dilbert comic strip.  It is a boss who
doesn't understand technology, but thinks he does and manages you
accordingly.