Re: [HACKERS] Changes to Contributor List - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Changes to Contributor List
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
*This* we can move to -advocacy. :-)

Joshua D. Drake writes:

> it is also important to remember that technical experts typically
> don't need to be sold on PostgreSQL.

I think this assumption is flawed.  For example, I think it'd be fair to
consider myself a technical expert who is informed about open source.
Yet, here are some things you would realy need to sell me on:

Debian
GNOME
vi
OpenOffice
Python
Interbase

(Please don't, I'm happy with what I have. :-) )

And that is just one case, not covering the varying degrees between
"expert", "aware", and "ignorant".

At the expo last week, we had over a hundred visitors, of which none were
PHBs, only a handful were relatively ignorant, but over half of the crowd
wanted to be "sold" in one way or another.

With those people, "selling" is more likely to be fruitful and rewarding.
But it needs to be done.

>    We should have mountains of dead tree printables on why
> you should use PostgreSQL and why you shouldn't use mySQL.
> This can be done in a non-flammatory way.

I think the very fact that you'd do it would be interpreted negatively by
many people.  I talked to some other major projects at the expo who have
obvious opponents.  They make it a policy not to do direct comparisons,
out of respect and decency.  That's tough, but I think it's the way to go.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net