Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Changes to Contributor List - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Changes to Contributor List
Date
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Changes to Contributor List  (Andrew Sullivan <andrew@libertyrms.info>)
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Changes to Contributor List  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Changes to Contributor List  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus writes:

> > > I was discussing specifically the "Recognized Corporate Contributors" which
> > > is, AFAIK, strictly a PHB thing, no?
> >
> > No.
>
> Please explain.

I don't see anything in this project that should be strictly a PHB thing,
the exception maybe being the weird whitepaper someone is going to write
sometime.  Anything else is intended for a greatly diverse audience, who
may be engineers or decision makers, who may be technically incompetent,
technically open-minded, or technical experts, and who may or may not have
varying degrees of clues about open source, databases, and PostgreSQL.
In other words, the general public.  If you disagree, then maybe we should
split up into advocacy-for-phbs and advocacy-for-real-people groups.

Moreover, you seem to imply that the list of companies should primarily be
a marketing instrument of the PostgreSQL project for attracting new users.
I don't understand that.  I would understand it if the list contained a
large number of "big names", but it does not, and it is not set up to
strive for that goal.  Right now, the list is nothing more than a
marketing tool for the listed companies for attracting existing users to
them.

I think that list is a pretty dumb idea in the first place.  We have a
list of developers with company names next to them.  Let readers make
their own recognition evaluation.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net