Re: Bogus bind() warnings - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Bogus bind() warnings
Date
Re: Bogus bind() warnings  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
> When I start up with -i, I get the following log:
> LOG:  could not bind IPv4 socket: Address already in use

> There is no other postmaster running anywhere.  I suspect that this has to
> do with IPv6.  This is a SuSE 8.something machine that is relatively fully
> IPv6 enabled.

Is it possible that that kernel considers binding to an IPv6 port to
conflict with binding to the "same" port number as an IPv4 port?

IIRC that was the behavior we once expected would happen, but later
found out that most kernels don't (yet?) act that way.  The present
design of trying to bind to both IPv6 and IPv4 sockets would be
unnecessary if the kernels acted more rationally.