Re: Changes to Contributor List - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Changes to Contributor List
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Peter,

> Right now, the list is nothing more than a
> marketing tool for the listed companies for attracting existing users to
> them.

Yes?   That's exactly the intention -- so that existing users and interested
parties can see the companies that give major resources to the project.
This has a dual purpose: it both provides free advertising for the companies
as a tit-for-tat, and shows potential adopters that PostgreSQL is not 100%
hobby developers coding in their free time.

> I think that list is a pretty dumb idea in the first place.  We have a
> list of developers with company names next to them.  Let readers make
> their own recognition evaluation.

You seem pretty opposed to the corporate list given that one of your
co-workers just requested to be on it.

To paraphrase one of my friends who works for an ad agency:  "Peter, we're not
advertising to YOU."    That page is not there for you or for people like
you.  It is there for IT department managers, PHBs, people considering
PostgreSQL, and people looking for high-end paid support.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions