Re: [HACKERS] Changes to Contributor List - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Changes to Contributor List
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Josh Berkus writes:

> I for one think that we should do comparisons with *all* major databases, not
> just MySQL.  In fact, maybe we should start with Oracle, DB2, or (my
> favorite) MS SQL Server first.   Go where the money is, y'know?

Certainly, gathering that information in a central place would be
beneficial.  But we should be careful about the following possibilities:

1. Basing a marketing strategy on "we are better than X" rather than "we
will solve your problems because" is dangerous in multiple dimensions.
So, make this information available on the side, but don't rub it into
people's faces.

2. There is a real risk that we will come out badly compared to some
candidates, when you consider their full feature set.

2.a. If you don't consider their full feature set, your analysis will be
rejected as biases or ignorant.

3. You might get into legal trouble.

So, in the first round I would treat these documents as quasi-internal,
serving as references of information for preparing other material or, say,
preparing for tough questions at a presentation, but not as flyer type
material.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net