What do we need for new PUGs?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

First, excuse the cross-posting; the reason for it will be come clear.

It has been the custom of the PostgreSQL project to give mailing lists
to new PostgreSQL User Groups (PUGs) for them to use to coordinate
meetings.  Lately, though, it's become apparent that those lists are not
being used[1], and the sysadmin team is justifiably reluctant to create
lists which are dead-on-arrival.

So the question becomes: if what new PUGs need for infrastructure is not
new mailing lists, then what do they need?

Infrastructure we could possibly supply would include:

* Meetup.com accounts
* Google Apps/Calendar accounts
* Blog + RSS
* Mailing lists anyway
* Something else

If you currently run a PUG, used to run a PUG, or are thinking of
starting a PUG, please explain what online infrastructure would *really*
help you get the PUG started or run your existing PUG, and why.  And
then we'll look at ways to supply that.

I'm especially looking for some feedback here from our *international*
audience; what works in the USA will be different from what works elsewhere.

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/54F4CB31.6060505@kaltenbrunner.cc

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: What do we need for new PUGs?

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Josh,

cc'ing Brad since I don't think he's on either of these lists.

* Josh Berkus (josh@agliodbs.com) wrote:
> Infrastructure we could possibly supply would include:
>
> * Meetup.com accounts
> * Google Apps/Calendar accounts
> * Blog + RSS
> * Mailing lists anyway
> * Something else
>
> If you currently run a PUG, used to run a PUG, or are thinking of
> starting a PUG, please explain what online infrastructure would *really*
> help you get the PUG started or run your existing PUG, and why.  And
> then we'll look at ways to supply that.
>
> I'm especially looking for some feedback here from our *international*
> audience; what works in the USA will be different from what works elsewhere.

I'll put my 2c in as a USA individual anyway. :)

Brad and I run the DC PUG and Meetup is what we use.  There's a cost
associated with that but we haven't really got an issue with that.  What
would *really* help with the PUG, in my opinion at least, is "getting
the word out" and showing that it's active and interesting.

To that end, Blog + RSS (yes, that's on my todo list to make one and get
it linked into planet), Retweets/Favorites, G+ mentions or whatever,
Facebook likes, whatever, and, ideally, something on the main
postgresql.org that links to us or shows that we're active.

Maybe having planet.p.o is enough for that, not sure as there's enough
traffic on planet already that a monthly PUG post wouldn't be visible
during large periods of time.

Brad, feel free to jump in with your own thoughts.

    Thanks!

        Stephen

Attachment

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What do we need for new PUGs?

From
Luca Ferrari
Date:
Ciao,

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 11:45 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> I'm especially looking for some feedback here from our *international*
> audience; what works in the USA will be different from what works elsewhere.

I'm speaking for the ITPUG here.
What we have "now" is something more complex than a single mailing
list. In particular we run a VPS which hosts a git repository for our
internal documents, as well as an issue tracker to schedule and manage
activities.
We have also a couple of private mailing lists, as well as an
italian-only planet and an official web site.
Besides, we have current and old PGDay.IT web sites and another couple
of gadgets.

For a new PUG my 2c are to a mailing list and a web space, possibly
already connected to the official planet. As Stephen, I believe the
real problem is not strictly connected to the infrastructure but in
the way the PUG presents itself and its activity to the world.

Luca

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What do we need for new PUGs?

From
"Gilberto Castillo"

> Folks,
>
> First, excuse the cross-posting; the reason for it will be come clear.
>
> It has been the custom of the PostgreSQL project to give mailing lists
> to new PostgreSQL User Groups (PUGs) for them to use to coordinate
> meetings.  Lately, though, it's become apparent that those lists are not
> being used[1], and the sysadmin team is justifiably reluctant to create
> lists which are dead-on-arrival.
>
> So the question becomes: if what new PUGs need for infrastructure is not
> new mailing lists, then what do they need?
>
> Infrastructure we could possibly supply would include:
>
> * Meetup.com accounts
> * Google Apps/Calendar accounts
> * Blog + RSS
> * Mailing lists anyway
> * Something else
>
> If you currently run a PUG, used to run a PUG, or are thinking of
> starting a PUG, please explain what online infrastructure would *really*
> help you get the PUG started or run your existing PUG, and why.  And
> then we'll look at ways to supply that.
>
> I'm especially looking for some feedback here from our *international*
> audience; what works in the USA will be different from what works
> elsewhere.
>
> [1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/54F4CB31.6060505@kaltenbrunner.cc

In Cuba we have several needs, but even waited for Governmental
negotiation issues.

Remember that we have never been able to count on the support of
international funds for our 7 events previous.

Saludos,
Gilberto Castillo
La Habana, Cuba
---
This message was processed by Kaspersky Mail Gateway 5.6.28/RELEASE running at host imx3.etecsa.cu
Visit our web-site: <http://www.kaspersky.com>, <http://www.viruslist.com>

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What do we need for new PUGs?

From
Michael Alan Brewer
Date:
Good morning! I agree that the mailing lists, while originally useful, have now been supplanted by Meetup (etc.); certainly, the Atlanta PUG has been shifted over (and mailing list can be archived and deleted at this point) to a Meetup that Moshe Jacobson's now running. (Related: It looks like the link to pg_atl on http://www.postgresql.org/community/user-groups/ is incorrect.)

---Michael Brewer
mbrewer@gmail.com

[...]

"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

I think the original requirements are pretty spot on, basically a way to
communicate, meetup (g+ events) and have a general community area. I
know I argued for easier mailing lists over on -www but as I think about
it more, I start to wonder if .Org should just stay out of it.

What I mean is, for .EU and .US, there are non-profits that can deal
with it, and for intl communities that don't have a non-profit then that
is where .Org steps in.

At least from .US perspective we already have Gapps and G+ capability.
That gives us everything meetup gives us (and more) for free. I can't
speak for .EU but I am fairly certain that .US wouldn't mind stepping up
to the plate (more) for the .US user groups. Heck the majority are
already affiliated with .US anyway.

JD

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, @cmdpromptinc

Now I get it: your service is designed for a customer
base that grew up with Facebook, watches Japanese seizure
robot anime, and has the attention span of a gnat.
I'm not that user., "Tyler Riddle"

Re: What do we need for new PUGs?

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"