Re: What do we need for new PUGs? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: What do we need for new PUGs?
Date
List pgsql-www
Josh,

cc'ing Brad since I don't think he's on either of these lists.

* Josh Berkus (josh@agliodbs.com) wrote:
> Infrastructure we could possibly supply would include:
>
> * Meetup.com accounts
> * Google Apps/Calendar accounts
> * Blog + RSS
> * Mailing lists anyway
> * Something else
>
> If you currently run a PUG, used to run a PUG, or are thinking of
> starting a PUG, please explain what online infrastructure would *really*
> help you get the PUG started or run your existing PUG, and why.  And
> then we'll look at ways to supply that.
>
> I'm especially looking for some feedback here from our *international*
> audience; what works in the USA will be different from what works elsewhere.

I'll put my 2c in as a USA individual anyway. :)

Brad and I run the DC PUG and Meetup is what we use.  There's a cost
associated with that but we haven't really got an issue with that.  What
would *really* help with the PUG, in my opinion at least, is "getting
the word out" and showing that it's active and interesting.

To that end, Blog + RSS (yes, that's on my todo list to make one and get
it linked into planet), Retweets/Favorites, G+ mentions or whatever,
Facebook likes, whatever, and, ideally, something on the main
postgresql.org that links to us or shows that we're active.

Maybe having planet.p.o is enough for that, not sure as there's enough
traffic on planet already that a monthly PUG post wouldn't be visible
during large periods of time.

Brad, feel free to jump in with your own thoughts.

    Thanks!

        Stephen

Attachment