Adding PgLife link

Date:
PgLife (http://pglife.momjian.us) is a website for easily monitoring
Postgres community activity.  Is there any interest in adding a PgLife
link to our main website, perhaps in the "Community" section?  Should it
use a URL like http://pglife.postgresql.org?

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Adding PgLife link

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> PgLife (http://pglife.momjian.us) is a website for easily monitoring
> Postgres community activity.  Is there any interest in adding a PgLife
> link to our main website, perhaps in the "Community" section?

I have no objection to that if people find it useful.

> Should it
> use a URL like http://pglife.postgresql.org?

If it's a postgresql.org website, it should be managed/monitored etc.
on our infrastructure.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Adding PgLife link

Date:
On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 04:31:50PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > PgLife (http://pglife.momjian.us) is a website for easily monitoring
> > Postgres community activity.  Is there any interest in adding a PgLife
> > link to our main website, perhaps in the "Community" section?
>
> I have no objection to that if people find it useful.

Yeah, it is useful enough to reference from our site --- I think that is
the open question.

> > Should it
> > use a URL like http://pglife.postgresql.org?
>
> If it's a postgresql.org website, it should be managed/monitored etc.
> on our infrastructure.

Well, momjian.postgresql.org already points to my server:
$ host momjian.postgresql.orgmomjian.postgresql.org is an alias for momjian.us.momjian.us has address 72.94.173.45

I could make it pglife.momjian.postgresql.org.  Is that too long?

I am hesitant to move the code to the postgresql.org infrastructure as
it uses a lot of moving parts to gather its information.  It doesn't
seem worth adding that burden to the web team.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Adding PgLife link

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
+0100,Dave Page wrote:<br /> > > On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Bruce Momjian <<a
href="mailto:bruce@momjian.us">bruce@momjian.us</a>>wrote:<br /> > > > PgLife (<a
href="http://pglife.momjian.us">http://pglife.momjian.us</a>)is a website for easily monitoring<br /> > > >
Postgrescommunity activity.  Is there any interest in adding a PgLife<br /> > > > link to our main website,
perhapsin the "Community" section?<br /> > ><br /> > > I have no objection to that if people find it
openquestion.<p dir="ltr">Yeah. How many users do you have today, after having announced it through planet? (or have
<ahref="http://postgresql.org">postgresql.org</a> website, it should be managed/monitored etc.<br /> > > on our
pointsto my server:<br /> ><br /> >         $ host <a
href="http://momjian.postgresql.org">momjian.postgresql.org</a><br/> >         <a
href="http://momjian.postgresql.org">momjian.postgresql.org</a>is an alias for <a
72.94.173.45<br/><p dir="ltr">I thought that had been removed. It was certainly supposed to be, so we should definitely
href="http://pglife.momjian.postgresql.org">pglife.momjian.postgresql.org</a>. Is that too long?<p dir="ltr">No, that
href="http://postgresql.org">postgresql.org</a>infrastructure as<br /> > it uses a lot of moving parts to gather its
itshould not be in that domain either. There is nothing wrong with linking it to a site in a different domain of
course,but services under the postgresql domain should all be managed by the team and fall under the same policies and
handling.<p dir="ltr">The Web team wouldn't have to be part of anything, or course. <p dir="ltr">/Magnus

Re: Adding PgLife link

Date:
On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 07:47:29PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Yeah, it is useful enough to reference from our site --- I think that is
> > the open question.
>
> Yeah. How many users do you have today, after having announced it through
> planet? (or have you announced it some other way as well?)

Well, the website displays a dynamic count of the number of users
viewing the website for at least five minutes in the past hour:
http://pglife.momjian.us/about.html

Currently there are 16.  I think a larger question is whether it is
something we want to officially recommend for users trying to figure out
what is going on.

> > Well, momjian.postgresql.org already points to my server:
> >
> >         $ host momjian.postgresql.org
> >         momjian.postgresql.org is an alias for momjian.us.
> >         momjian.us has address 72.94.173.45
>
> I thought that had been removed. It was certainly supposed to be, so we should
> definitely not add anything else on that.

OK.  I don't think I have anything currently referencing
momjian.postgresql.org, and I don't see any reference in the
postgresql.org website code.

I think it was originally used for the backend flowchart and/or my
more-frequently-updated doc build.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Adding PgLife link

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
>>> I have no objection to that if people find it useful.
>>
>> Yeah, it is useful enough to reference from our site --- I think that is
>> the open question.

I'd say it's more useful than the surveys ;-)

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Adding PgLife link

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 8:50 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>>> Yeah, it is useful enough to reference from our site --- I think that is
>>> the open question.
>
> I'd say it's more useful than the surveys ;-)

That's really not saying much, thouhg...

--Magnus HaganderMe: http://www.hagander.net/Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Adding PgLife link

Date:
On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 01:59:32PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 07:47:29PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > > Yeah, it is useful enough to reference from our site --- I think that is
> > > the open question.
> >
> > Yeah. How many users do you have today, after having announced it through
> > planet? (or have you announced it some other way as well?)
>
> Well, the website displays a dynamic count of the number of users
> viewing the website for at least five minutes in the past hour:
>
>     http://pglife.momjian.us/about.html
>
> Currently there are 16.  I think a larger question is whether it is
> something we want to officially recommend for users trying to figure out
> what is going on.

There doesn't seem to be enough interest to add a link at this time;
maybe next year.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Adding PgLife link

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On 20 June 2013 19:04, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

>> > Yeah. How many users do you have today, after having announced it through
>> > planet? (or have you announced it some other way as well?)
>>
>> Well, the website displays a dynamic count of the number of users
>> viewing the website for at least five minutes in the past hour:
>>
>>       http://pglife.momjian.us/about.html
>>
>> Currently there are 16.  I think a larger question is whether it is
>> something we want to officially recommend for users trying to figure out
>> what is going on.
>
> There doesn't seem to be enough interest to add a link at this time;
> maybe next year.

I don't really understand why it has to be a link?

Surely all things about the community run on postgresql.org?

--Simon Riggs                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services

Re: Adding PgLife link

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 06/20/2013 11:29 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:

> On 20 June 2013 19:04, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

>>> Well, the website displays a dynamic count of the number of users
>>> viewing the website for at least five minutes in the past hour:
>>>
>>>        http://pglife.momjian.us/about.html
>>>
>>> Currently there are 16.  I think a larger question is whether it is
>>> something we want to officially recommend for users trying to figure out
>>> what is going on.
>>
>> There doesn't seem to be enough interest to add a link at this time;
>> maybe next year.
>
> I don't really understand why it has to be a link?
>
> Surely all things about the community run on postgresql.org?

Personally, I think this is a really neat tool.

JD--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC, @cmdpromptinc
For my dreams of your image that blossoms   a rose in the deeps of my heart. - W.B. Yeats

Re: Adding PgLife link

Date:
On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 07:29:31PM +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 20 June 2013 19:04, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> >> Well, the website displays a dynamic count of the number of users
> >> viewing the website for at least five minutes in the past hour:
> >>
> >>       http://pglife.momjian.us/about.html
> >>
> >> Currently there are 16.  I think a larger question is whether it is
> >> something we want to officially recommend for users trying to figure out
> >> what is going on.
> >
> > There doesn't seem to be enough interest to add a link at this time;
> > maybe next year.
>
> I don't really understand why it has to be a link?
>
> Surely all things about the community run on postgresql.org?

It certainly doesn't have to be a link.  I just thought it would be
helpful for new users to see all the activity on one screen.  But, of
course, pglife is only a few months old, so I can wait for its userbase
to mature.

Sorry, I don't understand "all things about the community run on
postgresql.org".  You are right that almost all the information in
pglife is somewhere on the postgresql.org website, or linked to it;
perhaps that what you meant.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Adding PgLife link

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On 20 June 2013 19:55, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 07:29:31PM +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:

>> > There doesn't seem to be enough interest to add a link at this time;
>> > maybe next year.
>>
>> I don't really understand why it has to be a link?
>>
>> Surely all things about the community run on postgresql.org?
>
> It certainly doesn't have to be a link.  I just thought it would be
> helpful for new users to see all the activity on one screen.  But, of
> course, pglife is only a few months old, so I can wait for its userbase
> to mature.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand "all things about the community run on
> postgresql.org".  You are right that almost all the information in
> pglife is somewhere on the postgresql.org website, or linked to it;
> perhaps that what you meant.

My hope would be that someone on the core team would be looking to
extend postgresql.org, not encourage links to their own personal
sites.

If we discussed this without knowing who the person proposing this
was, it would never be allowed.

I'm sure you have no ulterior motive, but you would set a precedent
that would be hard to unravel when others request the same.

Please add pglife.postgresql.org and host things there directly.

Date:
On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

>> Sorry, I don't understand "all things about the community run on
>> postgresql.org".  You are right that almost all the information in
>> pglife is somewhere on the postgresql.org website, or linked to it;
>> perhaps that what you meant.
>
> My hope would be that someone on the core team would be looking to
> extend postgresql.org, not encourage links to their own personal
> sites.
>
> If we discussed this without knowing who the person proposing this
> was, it would never be allowed.

We have a number of links on the website to third-party PostgreSQL
sites over which we have no control and don't necessarily know the
owners.

> I'm sure you have no ulterior motive, but you would set a precedent
> that would be hard to unravel when others request the same.
>
> Please add pglife.postgresql.org and host things there directly.

That is not Bruce's decision to make, it is the decision of the
sysadmin team who are responsible for the maintenance and day to day
running of all postgresql.org services. The sysadmin team will only
provide hosting for services that can be properly and efficiently
managed.

--

Date:
On 06/21/2013 01:00 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:

>>> I don't really understand why it has to be a link?
>>>
>>> Surely all things about the community run on postgresql.org?
>>
>> It certainly doesn't have to be a link.  I just thought it would be
>> helpful for new users to see all the activity on one screen.  But, of
>> course, pglife is only a few months old, so I can wait for its userbase
>> to mature.
>>
>> Sorry, I don't understand "all things about the community run on
>> postgresql.org".  You are right that almost all the information in
>> pglife is somewhere on the postgresql.org website, or linked to it;
>> perhaps that what you meant.
>
> My hope would be that someone on the core team would be looking to
> extend postgresql.org, not encourage links to their own personal
> sites.

Really... Bruce, for now and forever you may not garden, you may not
swim, Church is a no no, and you are no longer able to teach your
Children. You are core, you must only extend postgresql.org. Oh wait,
but core doesn't have anything to do with the website, they aren't in
charge of it. Core is about releases schedules and confidential
conversation for vendors about things like security releases. Why are
you wasting your time doing something fun and informative for the community?

Simon, there are three problems with this.

1. Bruce would problem spend all his time extending it using sh. Do you
really want to come along behind him and maintain that?

2. Bruce can do whatever the hell he wants and he has zero
responsibility to put his open source efforts behind .Org.

3. #2 isn't even relevant because he was extending .Org. He brought
something fun and useful to the community.
> If we discussed this without knowing who the person proposing this> was, it would never be allowed.

If this is true so what? Some people within the community are listened
to a little longer and given a little more leeway because... guess what,
meritocracy.

/me puffs smoke and stomps away

JD

--

Date:
On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 9:46 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, I don't understand "all things about the community run on
>>> postgresql.org".  You are right that almost all the information in
>>> pglife is somewhere on the postgresql.org website, or linked to it;
>>> perhaps that what you meant.
>>
>> My hope would be that someone on the core team would be looking to
>> extend postgresql.org, not encourage links to their own personal
>> sites.
>>
>> If we discussed this without knowing who the person proposing this
>> was, it would never be allowed.
>
> We have a number of links on the website to third-party PostgreSQL
> sites over which we have no control and don't necessarily know the
> owners.
>
>> I'm sure you have no ulterior motive, but you would set a precedent
>> that would be hard to unravel when others request the same.
>>
>> Please add pglife.postgresql.org and host things there directly.
>
> That is not Bruce's decision to make, it is the decision of the
> sysadmin team who are responsible for the maintenance and day to day
> running of all postgresql.org services. The sysadmin team will only
> provide hosting for services that can be properly and efficiently
> managed.

Huh - wrote that pre-coffee and just realised it may be taken the
wrong way. I'm not saying pglife can't be properly and efficiently
managed - I don't know, I have no idea how it's been built. Just that
the sysadmin team would be looking at that before taking on another
service to maintain.

--

Date:
On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 03:53:57PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> > That is not Bruce's decision to make, it is the decision of the
> > sysadmin team who are responsible for the maintenance and day to day
> > running of all postgresql.org services. The sysadmin team will only
> > provide hosting for services that can be properly and efficiently
> > managed.
>
> Huh - wrote that pre-coffee and just realised it may be taken the
> wrong way. I'm not saying pglife can't be properly and efficiently
> managed - I don't know, I have no idea how it's been built. Just that
> the sysadmin team would be looking at that before taking on another
> service to maintain.

Agreed, and I don't think PgLife can be efficiently managed.  PgLife
uses Perl, CPAN modules, Javascript, Procmail, and cron jobs, and these
would need to be maintained by the sysadmin team.  Frankly, there
doesn't seem to be enough interest in even linking to PgLife, so I don't
see how having the sysadmin team maintain it makes any sense.

I do think the new display of unrelease backbranch commits will be
helpful, and I will keep making improvements as people suggest things.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Adding PgLife link

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> Agreed, and I don't think PgLife can be efficiently managed.  PgLife
> uses Perl, CPAN modules, Javascript, Procmail, and cron jobs, and these
> would need to be maintained by the sysadmin team.  Frankly, there
> doesn't seem to be enough interest in even linking to PgLife, so I don't
> see how having the sysadmin team maintain it makes any sense.

Well, I think we should link to it.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Adding PgLife link

Date:
On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 07:48:55AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Simon, there are three problems with this.
>
> 1. Bruce would problem spend all his time extending it using sh. Do
> you really want to come along behind him and maintain that?
>
> 2. Bruce can do whatever the hell he wants and he has zero
> responsibility to put his open source efforts behind .Org.
>
> 3. #2 isn't even relevant because he was extending .Org. He brought
> something fun and useful to the community.
>
> > If we discussed this without knowing who the person proposing this
> > was, it would never be allowed.
>
> If this is true so what? Some people within the community are
> listened to a little longer and given a little more leeway
> because... guess what, meritocracy.

For the curious, I have created a tarball of the Perl code and Procmail
rules:
http://momjian.us/expire/pglife-1.0.tgz

The Javascript code is here:
http://pglife.momjian.us/js/ajax/

There is also some use of Apache cache expire settings and SSI features.

(I realize PgLife shows an EnterpriseDB "News" item, but that is what Google
returns without any search history.  Before this, it was 2nd Quadrant's
carrier-grade support announcement.)

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Adding PgLife link

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
On Jun 21, 2013, at 1:40 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

>> Agreed, and I don't think PgLife can be efficiently managed.  PgLife
>> uses Perl, CPAN modules, Javascript, Procmail, and cron jobs, and these
>> would need to be maintained by the sysadmin team.  Frankly, there
>> doesn't seem to be enough interest in even linking to PgLife, so I don't
>> see how having the sysadmin team maintain it makes any sense.
>
> Well, I think we should link to it.

I think if it is something that can help show more visibility into how the community works and thus by extension help
growit, we should profile it somewhere on the site.

An alternative option to linking or hosting is to create a page on .org that keeps PgLife in an iframe.  That way we
canhave the PgLife content on .org but do not need to fully maintain it.  We would probably need to write some code on
the.org frontend to ensure PgLife is up before loading it, but that maintenance should be minimal.

Jonathan

Re: Adding PgLife link

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 5:39 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 03:53:57PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
>> > That is not Bruce's decision to make, it is the decision of the
>> > sysadmin team who are responsible for the maintenance and day to day
>> > running of all postgresql.org services. The sysadmin team will only
>> > provide hosting for services that can be properly and efficiently
>> > managed.
>>
>> Huh - wrote that pre-coffee and just realised it may be taken the
>> wrong way. I'm not saying pglife can't be properly and efficiently
>> managed - I don't know, I have no idea how it's been built. Just that
>> the sysadmin team would be looking at that before taking on another
>> service to maintain.
>
> Agreed, and I don't think PgLife can be efficiently managed.  PgLife
> uses Perl, CPAN modules, Javascript, Procmail, and cron jobs, and these
> would need to be maintained by the sysadmin team.  Frankly, there
> doesn't seem to be enough interest in even linking to PgLife, so I don't
> see how having the sysadmin team maintain it makes any sense.

IIRC, you explained it worked in part by pulling things from your
personal mailbox. I don't see how that can ever be made to run
anywhere else...

Re: Adding PgLife link

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 9:00 PM, Jonathan S. Katz
<jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
> On Jun 21, 2013, at 1:40 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>

>>> Agreed, and I don't think PgLife can be efficiently managed.  PgLife
>>> uses Perl, CPAN modules, Javascript, Procmail, and cron jobs, and these
>>> would need to be maintained by the sysadmin team.  Frankly, there
>>> doesn't seem to be enough interest in even linking to PgLife, so I don't
>>> see how having the sysadmin team maintain it makes any sense.
>>
>> Well, I think we should link to it.
>
> I think if it is something that can help show more visibility into how the community works and thus by extension help
growit, we should profile it somewhere on the site.

> An alternative option to linking or hosting is to create a page on .org that keeps PgLife in an iframe.  That way we
canhave the PgLife content on .org but do not need to fully maintain it.  We would probably need to write some code on
the.org frontend to ensure PgLife is up before loading it, but that maintenance should be minimal.

Ugh. That sounds like a really bad idea IMO. Iframes suck both to set
up and to use :) If we want to do that, we should just link to it and
be done.

Date:
On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 06:30:11PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Agreed, and I don't think PgLife can be efficiently managed.  PgLife
> > uses Perl, CPAN modules, Javascript, Procmail, and cron jobs, and these
> > would need to be maintained by the sysadmin team.  Frankly, there
> > doesn't seem to be enough interest in even linking to PgLife, so I don't
> > see how having the sysadmin team maintain it makes any sense.
>
> IIRC, you explained it worked in part by pulling things from your
> personal mailbox. I don't see how that can ever be made to run
> anywhere else...

You would need to subscribe an email address to the all our email lists,
and have procmail run for that user.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Adding PgLife link

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 06:30:11PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > > Agreed, and I don't think PgLife can be efficiently managed.  PgLife
> > > uses Perl, CPAN modules, Javascript, Procmail, and cron jobs, and these
> > > would need to be maintained by the sysadmin team.  Frankly, there
> > > doesn't seem to be enough interest in even linking to PgLife, so I don't
> > > see how having the sysadmin team maintain it makes any sense.
> >
> > IIRC, you explained it worked in part by pulling things from your
> > personal mailbox. I don't see how that can ever be made to run
> > anywhere else...
>
> You would need to subscribe an email address to the all our email lists,
> and have procmail run for that user.

As I told you privately, we have the list emails on a database already,
threaded and tagged.  I feel if we wanted something for the community to
maintain, it should be based on that.  The advantage is that it can
implement something more insightful than just "subject of most recently
received email", without going crazy with procmail rules and shell
scripting.  It can be done using just a few SQL queries; and I have the
vague impression somebody around here knows that stuff.

Also, there's no need for web-scraping.  I didn't look in detail into
your code but I'm fairly sure most of the stuff you're scraping for
could be easily obtained by a handful of queries into the wwwmaster
database.

My point is that it currently uses a plethora of disparate tools, but it
doesn't have to.  Maybe, as you say, its current incarnation cannot be
efficiently managed, but that doesn't mean it cannot go through an
afterlife-and-rebirth process into something more easily maintainable.
It's not my intention to tell you what to do.

Re: Adding PgLife link

Date:
On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 08:22:50PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > >
> > > IIRC, you explained it worked in part by pulling things from your
> > > personal mailbox. I don't see how that can ever be made to run
> > > anywhere else...
> >
> > You would need to subscribe an email address to the all our email lists,
> > and have procmail run for that user.
>
> As I told you privately, we have the list emails on a database already,
> threaded and tagged.  I feel if we wanted something for the community to
> maintain, it should be based on that.  The advantage is that it can
> implement something more insightful than just "subject of most recently
> received email", without going crazy with procmail rules and shell
> scripting.  It can be done using just a few SQL queries; and I have the
> vague impression somebody around here knows that stuff.
>
> Also, there's no need for web-scraping.  I didn't look in detail into
> your code but I'm fairly sure most of the stuff you're scraping for
> could be easily obtained by a handful of queries into the wwwmaster
> database.

I don't have access to wwwmaster, so I was unclear how I could pull from
there.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Adding PgLife link

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 6/19/13 11:27 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> PgLife (http://pglife.momjian.us) is a website for easily monitoring
> Postgres community activity.  Is there any interest in adding a PgLife
> link to our main website, perhaps in the "Community" section?  Should it
> use a URL like http://pglife.postgresql.org?

The wiki would be a good place to put third-party links.  Looking at it
now, the wiki might need some cleanup before anyone finds anything, though.