Re: Adding PgLife link - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Adding PgLife link
Date
List pgsql-www
On 06/21/2013 01:00 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:

>>> I don't really understand why it has to be a link?
>>>
>>> Surely all things about the community run on postgresql.org?
>>
>> It certainly doesn't have to be a link.  I just thought it would be
>> helpful for new users to see all the activity on one screen.  But, of
>> course, pglife is only a few months old, so I can wait for its userbase
>> to mature.
>>
>> Sorry, I don't understand "all things about the community run on
>> postgresql.org".  You are right that almost all the information in
>> pglife is somewhere on the postgresql.org website, or linked to it;
>> perhaps that what you meant.
>
> My hope would be that someone on the core team would be looking to
> extend postgresql.org, not encourage links to their own personal
> sites.

Really... Bruce, for now and forever you may not garden, you may not
swim, Church is a no no, and you are no longer able to teach your
Children. You are core, you must only extend postgresql.org. Oh wait,
but core doesn't have anything to do with the website, they aren't in
charge of it. Core is about releases schedules and confidential
conversation for vendors about things like security releases. Why are
you wasting your time doing something fun and informative for the community?

Simon, there are three problems with this.

1. Bruce would problem spend all his time extending it using sh. Do you
really want to come along behind him and maintain that?

2. Bruce can do whatever the hell he wants and he has zero
responsibility to put his open source efforts behind .Org.

3. #2 isn't even relevant because he was extending .Org. He brought
something fun and useful to the community.
> If we discussed this without knowing who the person proposing this> was, it would never be allowed.

If this is true so what? Some people within the community are listened
to a little longer and given a little more leeway because... guess what,
meritocracy.

/me puffs smoke and stomps away

JD

--