Re: Adding PgLife link - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Adding PgLife link
Date
List pgsql-www
On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 9:46 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, I don't understand "all things about the community run on
>>> postgresql.org".  You are right that almost all the information in
>>> pglife is somewhere on the postgresql.org website, or linked to it;
>>> perhaps that what you meant.
>>
>> My hope would be that someone on the core team would be looking to
>> extend postgresql.org, not encourage links to their own personal
>> sites.
>>
>> If we discussed this without knowing who the person proposing this
>> was, it would never be allowed.
>
> We have a number of links on the website to third-party PostgreSQL
> sites over which we have no control and don't necessarily know the
> owners.
>
>> I'm sure you have no ulterior motive, but you would set a precedent
>> that would be hard to unravel when others request the same.
>>
>> Please add pglife.postgresql.org and host things there directly.
>
> That is not Bruce's decision to make, it is the decision of the
> sysadmin team who are responsible for the maintenance and day to day
> running of all postgresql.org services. The sysadmin team will only
> provide hosting for services that can be properly and efficiently
> managed.

Huh - wrote that pre-coffee and just realised it may be taken the
wrong way. I'm not saying pglife can't be properly and efficiently
managed - I don't know, I have no idea how it's been built. Just that
the sysadmin team would be looking at that before taking on another
service to maintain.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com