Re: Adding PgLife link - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Adding PgLife link
Date
List pgsql-www
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 06:30:11PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > > Agreed, and I don't think PgLife can be efficiently managed.  PgLife
> > > uses Perl, CPAN modules, Javascript, Procmail, and cron jobs, and these
> > > would need to be maintained by the sysadmin team.  Frankly, there
> > > doesn't seem to be enough interest in even linking to PgLife, so I don't
> > > see how having the sysadmin team maintain it makes any sense.
> >
> > IIRC, you explained it worked in part by pulling things from your
> > personal mailbox. I don't see how that can ever be made to run
> > anywhere else...
>
> You would need to subscribe an email address to the all our email lists,
> and have procmail run for that user.

As I told you privately, we have the list emails on a database already,
threaded and tagged.  I feel if we wanted something for the community to
maintain, it should be based on that.  The advantage is that it can
implement something more insightful than just "subject of most recently
received email", without going crazy with procmail rules and shell
scripting.  It can be done using just a few SQL queries; and I have the
vague impression somebody around here knows that stuff.

Also, there's no need for web-scraping.  I didn't look in detail into
your code but I'm fairly sure most of the stuff you're scraping for
could be easily obtained by a handful of queries into the wwwmaster
database.

My point is that it currently uses a plethora of disparate tools, but it
doesn't have to.  Maybe, as you say, its current incarnation cannot be
efficiently managed, but that doesn't mean it cannot go through an
afterlife-and-rebirth process into something more easily maintainable.
It's not my intention to tell you what to do.