First draft of 9.5 release announcement, please comment/edit/suggest

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
It's here:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=press.git;a=blob_plain;f=releases/9.5/translate/release.translate.txt;h=2f24f8fce19151e1e120ea5b9f2da007638400b1;hb=HEAD

Please give me your corrections, comments, and suggestions for
improvement.  Thanks!

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: First draft of 9.5 release announcement, please comment/edit/suggest

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 12/31/2015 12:16 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> It's here:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=press.git;a=blob_plain;f=releases/9.5/translate/release.translate.txt;h=2f24f8fce19151e1e120ea5b9f2da007638400b1;hb=HEAD

> Please give me your corrections, comments, and suggestions for
> improvement.  Thanks!

And now the text of the presskit, here:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=press.git;a=blob;f=releases/9.5/translate/presskit95.html;h=459e4099787aa6ff24c0c5440a98637b63d2c3ec;hb=HEAD

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

Re: First draft of 9.5 release announcement, please comment/edit/suggest

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
On 01/01/2016 12:42 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 12/31/2015 12:16 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> It's here:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=press.git;a=blob_plain;f=releases/9.5/translate/release.translate.txt;h=2f24f8fce19151e1e120ea5b9f2da007638400b1;hb=HEAD

>> Please give me your corrections, comments, and suggestions for
>> improvement.  Thanks!
>>

> And now the text of the presskit, here:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=press.git;a=blob;f=releases/9.5/translate/presskit95.html;h=459e4099787aa6ff24c0c5440a98637b63d2c3ec;hb=HEAD

on a quick look this seems to be based on an older version of the
presskit release template not the one that was fixed for the 9.4
release. Couple problems I did notice on a quick check:

* images reference http://media.postgresql.org - those should point to
the correct location on www.postgresql.org
* the wiki URLs are http but should be https

Stefan

Date:
On 01/01/2016 05:24 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> On 01/01/2016 12:42 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> On 12/31/2015 12:16 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> It's here:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=press.git;a=blob_plain;f=releases/9.5/translate/release.translate.txt;h=2f24f8fce19151e1e120ea5b9f2da007638400b1;hb=HEAD

>>> Please give me your corrections, comments, and suggestions for
>>> improvement.  Thanks!
>>>

>> And now the text of the presskit, here:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=press.git;a=blob;f=releases/9.5/translate/presskit95.html;h=459e4099787aa6ff24c0c5440a98637b63d2c3ec;hb=HEAD

> on a quick look this seems to be based on an older version of the
> presskit release template not the one that was fixed for the 9.4
> release. Couple problems I did notice on a quick check:
>
> * images reference http://media.postgresql.org - those should point to
> the correct location on www.postgresql.org

Fixing ...

> * the wiki URLs are http but should be https

Even for people without wiki accounts?

Anything else?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

Re: First draft of 9.5 release announcement, please comment/edit/suggest

From
Gilles Darold
Date:
Please give me your corrections, comments, and suggestions for
improvement.  Thanks!

And now the text of the presskit, here:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=press.git;a=blob;f=releases/9.5/translate/presskit95.html;h=459e4099787aa6ff24c0c5440a98637b63d2c3ec;hb=HEAD

on a quick look this seems to be based on an older version of the
presskit release template not the one that was fixed for the 9.4
release. Couple problems I did notice on a quick check:

* images reference http://media.postgresql.org - those should point to
the correct location on www.postgresql.org
Fixing ...

* the wiki URLs are http but should be https
Even for people without wiki accounts?

Anything else?

In the "Quoted Company Information" and the French CNAF quote there's two issues:

    * des systèmes ,ce logiciel open source => need extra space character after the comma : des systèmes , ce logiciel open source
    * fiabilité et est phase de déploiement => fiabilité et est en phase de déploiement

Best regards,
--
Gilles Darold
Consultant PostgreSQL

Date:
On 01/01/2016 10:29 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 01/01/2016 05:24 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=press.git;a=blob_plain;f=releases/9.5/translate/release.translate.txt;h=2f24f8fce19151e1e120ea5b9f2da007638400b1;hb=HEAD

>>> And now the text of the presskit, here:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=press.git;a=blob;f=releases/9.5/translate/presskit95.html;h=459e4099787aa6ff24c0c5440a98637b63d2c3ec;hb=HEAD

>> on a quick look this seems to be based on an older version of the
>> presskit release template not the one that was fixed for the 9.4
>> release. Couple problems I did notice on a quick check:
>>
>> * images reference http://media.postgresql.org - those should point to
>> the correct location on www.postgresql.org
>
> Fixing ...

thanks - though I dont see it fixed in the repo yet?

>> * the wiki URLs are http but should be https
>
> Even for people without wiki accounts?

yes - the wiki is https-only for ages now.

> Anything else?

some further comments:

* not sure directly linking to the private/personal(?) server from bruce
is a good idea
* the presskit references the software catalogue with "Related and
Commercial Software" but the website actually uses the wording
"PostgreSQL-related interfaces, extensions and software ..."

Stefan

Re: First draft of 9.5 release announcement, please comment/edit/suggest

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Basil,

> Generally best to define first occurrence of acronyms with full name spelled-out. But I don’t know if I would bother
withthese two or not.
> —
> PCI, HIPAA
> —

Those are external acronyms, and in common usage in the USA; do they
need to be spelled out?  Frankly, I use them and have no idea what they
stand for.  What do other people think?

> I would shorten this wordy sentence:
> —
> PostgreSQL 9.5 includes multiple features enabling it to be used for even bigger databases, as well as integrating it
withother Big Data systems.
> —
> …to this…
> —
> PostgreSQL 9.5 includes multiple features for bigger databases, and for integrating with other Big Data systems.
> —
>
> The ’t’ in ‘this’ should be uppercase.
> —
> BRIN Indexing: this new type of index
> —
>
> Ditto here for ’these’ :
> —
> CUBE, ROLLUP and GROUPING SETS: these new standard SQL
> —

Thanks for edits.

> Has your team intentionally changed the product line from this as seen on the postgresql.org web site:
> —
> The world’s most advanced open source database.
> —
> …to this, used twice in your press release?
> —
> PostgreSQL is the leading open source database system
> —

It's not a general change of slogan; most advanced is used elsewhere, I
think.  Personally, I would love to change our slogan to "world's
leading" but that's not an argument I'm willing to start now.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

Re: First draft of 9.5 release announcement, please comment/edit/suggest

From
Darren Duncan
Date:
On 2016-01-02 9:56 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Generally best to define first occurrence of acronyms with full name spelled-out. But I don’t know if I would bother
withthese two or not.
>> —
>> PCI, HIPAA
>> —
>
> Those are external acronyms, and in common usage in the USA; do they
> need to be spelled out?  Frankly, I use them and have no idea what they
> stand for.  What do other people think?

On one hand it should be clear from the context that those acronyms are names of
public security standards, and anyone that would care either already knows what
they mean or can Google it, and so it is good to keep the acronyms for smoother
reading (if you want to define them, do it in a footnote).

On the other hand, the same list as those also says "European Data Protection
Directive" and so the list is unbalanced and one may question why the first 2
get acronyms and the last one doesn't, it may seem US-centric or something.
Maybe a change for normalization is good.

>> Has your team intentionally changed the product line from this as seen on the postgresql.org web site:
>> —
>> The world’s most advanced open source database.
>> —
>> …to this, used twice in your press release?
>> —
>> PostgreSQL is the leading open source database system
>> —
>
> It's not a general change of slogan; most advanced is used elsewhere, I
> think.  Personally, I would love to change our slogan to "world's
> leading" but that's not an argument I'm willing to start now.

I would argue that it is much better to stay with the existing "most advanced"
slogan for now.  It works, and its also an easier argument to make since
"advanced" is more specific to talking about product quality, while "leading"
implies market share which may be harder to argue in general.

-- Darren Duncan

Re: First draft of 9.5 release announcement, please comment/edit/suggest

From
Magnus Hagander

On Sun, Jan 3, 2016 at 6:56 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
Basil,

> Generally best to define first occurrence of acronyms with full name spelled-out. But I don’t know if I would bother with these two or not.
> —
> PCI, HIPAA
> —

Those are external acronyms, and in common usage in the USA; do they
need to be spelled out?  Frankly, I use them and have no idea what they
stand for.  What do other people think?

PCI is payment card industry. I think that one is fairly well known across IT globally, because it's a global standard.

HIPAA I have no idea what the acronym means, and very little about what it means to people either. AFAIK that's a US only standard, and for that reason it would probably be a good idea to spell it out.

--

Re: First draft of 9.5 release announcement, please comment/edit/suggest

From
"Charles Clavadetscher"
Date:
Hello

>> Generally best to define first occurrence of acronyms with full name spelled-out. But I don’t know if I would bother
withthese two or not.
>> —
>> PCI, HIPAA
>> —
>
>Those are external acronyms, and in common usage in the USA; do they
>need to be spelled out?  Frankly, I use them and have no idea what they
>stand for.  What do other people think?
>
>PCI is payment card industry. I think that one is fairly well known across IT globally, because it's a global
standard.

>HIPAA I have no idea what the acronym means, and very little about what it means to people either. AFAIK that's a US
onlystandard, and for that reason it would probably be a good idea to spell it out.

Possibly https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_Insurance_Portability_and_Accountability_Act.

Considering that many acronyms can have different meaning I would find it helpful to know what they are supposed to
meanin the specific context. Even within IT there are acronyms with different meaning. Consider e.g. CDR:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDR.I agree that the context usually is enough to understand, but it does not harm to
definethem. This can be, as suggested in a footnote, at first occurence or in an external acronyms list. I find the
lastoption better and easier to maintain.

Bye
Charles

Re: First draft of 9.5 release announcement, please comment/edit/suggest

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 01/02/2016 09:56 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Basil,
>
>> Generally best to define first occurrence of acronyms with full name spelled-out. But I don’t know if I would bother
withthese two or not.
>> —
>> PCI, HIPAA
>> —
>
> Those are external acronyms, and in common usage in the USA; do they
> need to be spelled out?  Frankly, I use them and have no idea what they
> stand for.  What do other people think?

I would leave them. Those who know them will appreciate them, those that
don't can google them.

> It's not a general change of slogan; most advanced is used elsewhere, I
> think.  Personally, I would love to change our slogan to "world's
> leading" but that's not an argument I'm willing to start now.

I would love to change our slogan to: The World's Most Advanced Database
(I don't want to start the argument either).

JD

Date:
On 01/03/2016 02:11 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> PCI is payment card industry. I think that one is fairly well known
> across IT globally, because it's a global standard.
>
> HIPAA I have no idea what the acronym means, and very little about what
> it means to people either. AFAIK that's a US only standard, and for that
> reason it would probably be a good idea to spell it out.

Magnus and others: so some relevant stuff: I'm not spelling out HIPAA
because it would take up an entire line. And linking doesn't work either
for the text version of the release.  So what it's sounding like is that
we just leave it out entirely.

For the European Directive, I've never seen an acronym for it; is there one?

On 01/03/2016 12:18 AM, Darren Duncan wrote:
>> It's not a general change of slogan; most advanced is used elsewhere, I
>> think.  Personally, I would love to change our slogan to "world's
>> leading" but that's not an argument I'm willing to start now.
>
> I would argue that it is much better to stay with the existing "most
> advanced" slogan for now.  It works, and its also an easier argument to
> make since "advanced" is more specific to talking about product quality,
> while "leading" implies market share which may be harder to argue in
> general.

Note that we used "world's leading database" last year, after some
survey data was published to back that up.  If anything, that's even
more so this year.

However, it's not like "most advanced" is bad.  So maybe use leading in
one place in advanced in the other.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

Re: First draft of 9.5 release announcement, please comment/edit/suggest

From
Umair Shahid

On Fri, Jan 1, 2016 at 1:16 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
It's here:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=press.git;a=blob_plain;f=releases/9.5/translate/release.translate.txt;h=2f24f8fce19151e1e120ea5b9f2da007638400b1;hb=HEAD

Please give me your corrections, comments, and suggestions for
improvement.  Thanks!

TABLESAMPLE is another important Big Data feature that got added as part of the 9.5 release. I know some tools have already started using it for analysis of large amounts of data. Perhaps worth a mention?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

Re: First draft of 9.5 release announcement, please comment/edit/suggest

From
damien@dalibo.info
Date:
Hi Josh

I have questions about the first sentences of the RLS paragraph:

"
PostgreSQL continues to pioneer database security with its new Row Level
Security (RLS) feature.  It is the first relational database to
implement true per-row and per-column security which integrates with
external label-based security stacks such as SE Linux.
"

1- Could we just say "first database" instead of "first relational
database" ? Afaik there's no NoSQL storage with such features.

2- Although it's not what you meant, the 2 sentences kind of imply that
PostgreSQL is the first db to implement RLS itself.

Re: First draft of 9.5 release announcement, please comment/edit/suggest

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
damien@dalibo.info schrieb am 04.01.2016 um 14:46:
> Hi Josh
>
> I have questions about the first sentences of the RLS paragraph:
>
> " PostgreSQL continues to pioneer database security with its new Row
> Level Security (RLS) feature.  It is the first relational database to
> implement true per-row and per-column security which integrates with
> external label-based security stacks such as SE Linux. "
>
> 1- Could we just say "first database" instead of "first relational
> database" ? Afaik there's no NoSQL storage with such features.
>
> 2- Although it's not what you meant, the 2 sentences kind of imply
> that PostgreSQL is the first db to implement RLS itself.

I think the sentence _could_ also be misunderstood. Postgres is not the first (relational) DBMS to implement or offer
RLS.

It seems it is the first database that _integrates_ RLS with SELinux though.
Maybe this sentence could be re-worded to focus on the fact that the integration with SELinux is a first, not RLS
itself?

Thomas

Re: Re: First draft of 9.5 release announcement, please comment/edit/suggest

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 9:07 AM, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:
> It seems it is the first database that _integrates_ RLS with SELinux though.
> Maybe this sentence could be re-worded to focus on the fact that the
> integration with SELinux is a first, not RLS itself?

Integration with SELinux isn't new; sepgsql is several years old.  And
we weren't the first database to have that; AFAIK, that'd be trusted
Rubix.  We were the first *open source* database to have that
capability, but again, that's not a new thing in 9.5.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Date:
Robert Haas schrieb am 04.01.2016 um 16:11:
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 9:07 AM, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:
>> It seems it is the first database that _integrates_ RLS with SELinux though.
>> Maybe this sentence could be re-worded to focus on the fact that the
>> integration with SELinux is a first, not RLS itself?
>
> Integration with SELinux isn't new; sepgsql is several years old.  And
> we weren't the first database to have that; AFAIK, that'd be trusted
> Rubix.  We were the first *open source* database to have that
> capability, but again, that's not a new thing in 9.5.

Hmm, then I don't know what "first" in the sentence

     It is the first relational database to implement true per-row and per-column security
     which integrates with external label-based security stacks such as SE Linux

refers to

Thomas

Re: First draft of 9.5 release announcement, please comment/edit/suggest

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

Release, presskit updated, and pushed to the github repo.

--

Date:
On 01/04/2016 07:43 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> Release, presskit updated, and pushed to the github repo.

please make the URLs pointing to www.postgresql.org relative instead of
absolute - absolute urls make working on the website very annoying and
will create issues once we move to https.

Also given that we reference videos and presentations on external
sources (als containing various sponsor/conference "endorsements") -
have we at least talked to all involved parties whether they are fine
with that?

Stefan

Re: First draft of 9.5 release announcement, please comment/edit/suggest

From
Stéphane Schildknecht
Date:
On 31/12/2015 21:16, Josh Berkus wrote:
> It's here:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=press.git;a=blob_plain;f=releases/9.5/translate/release.translate.txt;h=2f24f8fce19151e1e120ea5b9f2da007638400b1;hb=HEAD

> Please give me your corrections, comments, and suggestions for
> improvement.  Thanks!

Hello,

Happy new year to all.

I guess everyone will have corrected the release date, it's scheduled on the
7th of January *2016* :-)

Best,
--
Stéphane Schildknecht
Contact régional PostgreSQL pour l'Europe francophone

Date:
On 01/05/2016 01:09 PM, Stéphane Schildknecht wrote:
> On 31/12/2015 21:16, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> It's here:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=press.git;a=blob_plain;f=releases/9.5/translate/release.translate.txt;h=2f24f8fce19151e1e120ea5b9f2da007638400b1;hb=HEAD

>> Please give me your corrections, comments, and suggestions for
>> improvement.  Thanks!
>>
> Hello,
>
> Happy new year to all.
>
> I guess everyone will have corrected the release date, it's scheduled on the
> 7th of January *2016* :-)

Good gravy, nobody spotted that before you.  Good catch!

--
Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS

Re: First draft of 9.5 release announcement, please comment/edit/suggest

From
Boyan Botev
Date:
Possibly change the translation of "au travers de 26 types de prestations" with "through 26 types of social benefit programs" instead of "through 26 types of social benefit schemes". Schemes has a negative connotation.

Also maybe change:
"The CNAF's information system is satisfyingly based on the PostgreSQL database management system"
"The PostgreSQL database management system upon which CNAF's information system is based fulfills all expectations."

To me this seems a better translation to English of what the author was trying to convey. The literal translation seems a bit awkward.

Thanks,
Boyan

Date:
On 06/01/2016 15:50, Boyan Botev wrote:
> Possibly change the translation of "au travers de 26 types de prestations" with
> "through 26 types of social benefit programs" instead of "through 26 types of
> social benefit schemes". Schemes has a negative connotation.
>
> Also maybe change:
> "The CNAF's information system is satisfyingly based on the PostgreSQL database
> management system"
> "The PostgreSQL database management system upon which CNAF's information system
> is based fulfills all expectations."
>
> To me this seems a better translation to English of what the author was trying
> to convey. The literal translation seems a bit awkward.

What's more, (I don't know if the translation is provided by the CNAF itself or
has been translated), CNAF is not for childs only, F stands for familiales,
which deals with family as a whole.
CNAF is sometimes translated as National Family Benefits Fund.

--

Date:
On 01/06/2016 07:10 AM, Stéphane Schildknecht wrote:
> On 06/01/2016 15:50, Boyan Botev wrote:
>> Possibly change the translation of "au travers de 26 types de prestations" with
>> "through 26 types of social benefit programs" instead of "through 26 types of
>> social benefit schemes". Schemes has a negative connotation.
>>
>> Also maybe change:
>> "The CNAF's information system is satisfyingly based on the PostgreSQL database
>> management system"
>> "The PostgreSQL database management system upon which CNAF's information system
>> is based fulfills all expectations."
>>
>> To me this seems a better translation to English of what the author was trying
>> to convey. The literal translation seems a bit awkward.
>>

> What's more, (I don't know if the translation is provided by the CNAF itself or
> has been translated), CNAF is not for childs only, F stands for familiales,
> which deals with family as a whole.
> CNAF is sometimes translated as National Family Benefits Fund.

I believe that CNAF staff approved the translation as-is.  Dalibo folks?

--
Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS

Re: First draft of 9.5 release announcement, please comment/edit/suggest

From
damien@dalibo.info

> I believe that CNAF staff approved the translation as-is.  Dalibo
> folks?

Yep the translation was sent to them and approved.

Date:
On 01/07/2016 08:54 AM, damien@dalibo.info wrote:

>> I believe that CNAF staff approved the translation as-is.  Dalibo folks?
>>

> Yep the translation was sent to them and approved.

Then we really can't modify it, except maybe punctuation.

--
Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS