Re: First draft of 9.5 release announcement, please comment/edit/suggest - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Charles Clavadetscher
Subject Re: First draft of 9.5 release announcement, please comment/edit/suggest
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hello

>> Generally best to define first occurrence of acronyms with full name spelled-out. But I don’t know if I would bother
withthese two or not.
>> —
>> PCI, HIPAA
>> —
>
>Those are external acronyms, and in common usage in the USA; do they
>need to be spelled out?  Frankly, I use them and have no idea what they
>stand for.  What do other people think?
>
>PCI is payment card industry. I think that one is fairly well known across IT globally, because it's a global
standard.

>HIPAA I have no idea what the acronym means, and very little about what it means to people either. AFAIK that's a US
onlystandard, and for that reason it would probably be a good idea to spell it out.

Possibly https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_Insurance_Portability_and_Accountability_Act.

Considering that many acronyms can have different meaning I would find it helpful to know what they are supposed to
meanin the specific context. Even within IT there are acronyms with different meaning. Consider e.g. CDR:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDR.I agree that the context usually is enough to understand, but it does not harm to
definethem. This can be, as suggested in a footnote, at first occurence or in an external acronyms list. I find the
lastoption better and easier to maintain.

Bye
Charles