Re: First draft of 9.5 release announcement, please comment/edit/suggest - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Darren Duncan
Subject Re: First draft of 9.5 release announcement, please comment/edit/suggest
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 2016-01-02 9:56 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Generally best to define first occurrence of acronyms with full name spelled-out. But I don’t know if I would bother
withthese two or not.
>> —
>> PCI, HIPAA
>> —
>
> Those are external acronyms, and in common usage in the USA; do they
> need to be spelled out?  Frankly, I use them and have no idea what they
> stand for.  What do other people think?

On one hand it should be clear from the context that those acronyms are names of
public security standards, and anyone that would care either already knows what
they mean or can Google it, and so it is good to keep the acronyms for smoother
reading (if you want to define them, do it in a footnote).

On the other hand, the same list as those also says "European Data Protection
Directive" and so the list is unbalanced and one may question why the first 2
get acronyms and the last one doesn't, it may seem US-centric or something.
Maybe a change for normalization is good.

>> Has your team intentionally changed the product line from this as seen on the postgresql.org web site:
>> —
>> The world’s most advanced open source database.
>> —
>> …to this, used twice in your press release?
>> —
>> PostgreSQL is the leading open source database system
>> —
>
> It's not a general change of slogan; most advanced is used elsewhere, I
> think.  Personally, I would love to change our slogan to "world's
> leading" but that's not an argument I'm willing to start now.

I would argue that it is much better to stay with the existing "most advanced"
slogan for now.  It works, and its also an easier argument to make since
"advanced" is more specific to talking about product quality, while "leading"
implies market share which may be harder to argue in general.

-- Darren Duncan