shameless behavior of EDB ...

From
PostgreSQL - Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Date:
folks,

i just wanted to inform everybody who is involved in the PostgreSQL project and who is doing advocacy or other
professionalwork in this area that EDB is shamelessly copying reference lists from our website:

http://www.enterprisedb.com/customer-success/where-its-hot-and-where-its-not?elq=f0dc4e2aae564641b1bb30d33ff42325

if you zoom into vienna you will see the following:
    according to my information denimbox went bust before EDB came into existence.
    i talked to the CTO of emarsys this morning (close friend of mine) and he swore that they are using no EDB in their
houses.

the same applies to basically everybody on our reference list.
they even copied a typo i made accidentally.

what is especially funny: "ehrlich rogner-schlögel" used to be my lawyer for many years (i made the network there - not
evenpostgres).

given those facts i ask you to check your lists to see if something similar happened.
and; make your own judgement if things like that are good or bad for the project.

    best regards,

        hans

--
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH
Gröhrmühlgasse 26

Re: shameless behavior of EDB ...

From
Dave Page
Date:
2011/5/12 PostgreSQL - Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres@cybertec.at>:
> folks,
>
> i just wanted to inform everybody who is involved in the PostgreSQL project and who is doing advocacy or other
professionalwork in this area that EDB is shamelessly copying reference lists from our website:

> http://www.enterprisedb.com/customer-success/where-its-hot-and-where-its-not?elq=f0dc4e2aae564641b1bb30d33ff42325

Hans,

It's a nice conspiracy theory I'll grant you, but really this is just
a simple miscommunication between the folks that put the map together
and the web guys.

You'll have seen that there were 2 colours of dots on the map. The
green ones are a selection of our customers, and the orange ones are
known PostgreSQL users. The web guys mistakenly thought the map showed
just our customers and wrote the page accordingly. This has now been
fixed.

Thanks for brining this to our attention.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: shameless behavior of EDB ...

From
PostgreSQL - Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Date:
on behalf of all our customers (= present, former, future): i ask you to remove all entries which have been
"accidentallyborrowed" from your website.
you say it is conspiracy - it say it is on purpose. to be honest, i don't care what it is ...
so, once and for all: tell your guys to remove it ...

    hans

Date:
2011/5/12 PostgreSQL - Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres@cybertec.at>:
> on behalf of all our customers (= present, former, future): i ask you to remove all entries which have been
"accidentallyborrowed" from your website.
> you say it is conspiracy - it say it is on purpose. to be honest, i don't care what it is ...
> so, once and for all: tell your guys to remove it ...

The names were compiled from publicly available information. If any
organisation shown on the map wishes to have their name removed, we
will of course do so if they request it. An email to the webmaster
should suffice.

--

Date:
On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> 2011/5/12 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>:
>
>> It's a nice conspiracy theory I'll grant you, but really this is just
>> a simple miscommunication between the folks that put the map together
>> and the web guys.
>>
>> You'll have seen that there were 2 colours of dots on the map. The
>> green ones are a selection of our customers, and the orange ones are
>> known PostgreSQL users. The web guys mistakenly thought the map showed
>> just our customers and wrote the page accordingly. This has now been
>> fixed.
>>
>> Thanks for brining this to our attention.
>

> So you've copied a customer list from another company's web site,
> placed that data on your own and then accidentally misrepresented what
> that means.

I do not know that that is the case at all - I don't know where the
data came from.

--

Date:
On May 12, 2011, at 11:40 AM, Dave Page wrote:

> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> 2011/5/12 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>:
>>
>>> It's a nice conspiracy theory I'll grant you, but really this is just
>>> a simple miscommunication between the folks that put the map together
>>> and the web guys.
>>>
>>> You'll have seen that there were 2 colours of dots on the map. The
>>> green ones are a selection of our customers, and the orange ones are
>>> known PostgreSQL users. The web guys mistakenly thought the map showed
>>> just our customers and wrote the page accordingly. This has now been
>>> fixed.
>>>
>>> Thanks for brining this to our attention.
>>

>> So you've copied a customer list from another company's web site,
>> placed that data on your own and then accidentally misrepresented what
>> that means.
>
> I do not know that that is the case at all - I don't know where the
> data came from.

i am not blaming you personally - don't get me wrong.
i can tell you where it comes from: www.postgresql-support.de ... including typo from my side, including companies
whichdon't even exist anymore ....

@simon: in short, "yes" ...

    hans

--

Date:
On May 12, 2011, at 11:39 AM, Dave Page wrote:

> 2011/5/12 PostgreSQL - Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres@cybertec.at>:
>> on behalf of all our customers (= present, former, future): i ask you to remove all entries which have been
"accidentallyborrowed" from your website.
>> you say it is conspiracy - it say it is on purpose. to be honest, i don't care what it is ...
>> so, once and for all: tell your guys to remove it ...
>
> The names were compiled from publicly available information. If any
> organisation shown on the map wishes to have their name removed, we
> will of course do so if they request it. An email to the webmaster
> should suffice.

you want me to contact people so that they can "ask for being removed"?
do you really want me to comment on that? for the sake of the intellectual level on this list i'd better not do that

    many thanks,

        hans

--
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH
Gröhrmühlgasse 26
A-2700 Wiener Neustadt, Austria
Web: http://www.postgresql-support.de

Re: shameless behavior of EDB ...

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
2011/5/12 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>:

> It's a nice conspiracy theory I'll grant you, but really this is just
> a simple miscommunication between the folks that put the map together
> and the web guys.
>
> You'll have seen that there were 2 colours of dots on the map. The
> green ones are a selection of our customers, and the orange ones are
> known PostgreSQL users. The web guys mistakenly thought the map showed
> just our customers and wrote the page accordingly. This has now been
> fixed.
>
> Thanks for brining this to our attention.

So you've copied a customer list from another company's web site,
placed that data on your own and then accidentally misrepresented what
that means.

There can't have been anything accidental about copying data from
someone else's website could there? It would seem you don't have
copyright to all the data on that map?

It's good that you've added a key to the website, but it still doesn't
read correctly. To be perfectly fair, it should say "PostgreSQL users
supported by EDB and other companies." and probably also mention where
you got the data from, and how.

Re: shameless behavior of EDB ...

From
Mike Ellsworth
Date:
2011/5/12 PostgreSQL - Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres@cybertec.at>:
> On May 12, 2011, at 11:40 AM, Dave Page wrote:

>>> So you've copied a customer list from another company's web site,
>>> placed that data on your own and then accidentally misrepresented what
>>> that means.
>>
>> I do not know that that is the case at all - I don't know where the
>> data came from.
>>

> i am not blaming you personally - don't get me wrong.
> i can tell you where it comes from: www.postgresql-support.de ... including typo from my side, including companies
whichdon't even exist anymore ....

> @simon: in short, "yes" ...
>
>        hans

I won't comment on how the data was culled, but as a suggestion, on
this page (http://www.enterprisedb.com/pgsqlusermap) where you have a
youtube or other marketing material onclick, such as:
["Blue Tie",  43.0630250, -77.6420550, 1, function(event) {
window.open("http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcUu9YpC3go"); }],

then leave it in place, as they are obviously clients and exerted
effort creating a marketing vid/marketing material. They may even be
paying for that link, for all I know.

for others, just load:
["",  whatever, whatever, 0, null], -- so remove name & onclick.

Picking the orange/green png escapes me at the moment, but if there is
no material, then orange.

I think the vast majority of users could care less whether there is an
orange dot over their lat/long, especially since acquiring their name
would take effort.

--
Mike Ellsworth

Re: shameless behavior of EDB ...

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
Big Russia is empty !

On Thu, 12 May 2011, PostgreSQL - Hans-J?rgen Sch?nig wrote:

> folks,
>
> i just wanted to inform everybody who is involved in the PostgreSQL project and who is doing advocacy or other
professionalwork in this area that EDB is shamelessly copying reference lists from our website:

> http://www.enterprisedb.com/customer-success/where-its-hot-and-where-its-not?elq=f0dc4e2aae564641b1bb30d33ff42325
>
> if you zoom into vienna you will see the following:
>     according to my information denimbox went bust before EDB came into existence.
>     i talked to the CTO of emarsys this morning (close friend of mine) and he swore that they are using no EDB in
theirhouses.

> the same applies to basically everybody on our reference list.
> they even copied a typo i made accidentally.
>
> what is especially funny: "ehrlich rogner-schl?gel" used to be my lawyer for many years (i made the network there -
noteven postgres).

> given those facts i ask you to check your lists to see if something similar happened.
> and; make your own judgement if things like that are good or bad for the project.
>
>     best regards,
>
>         hans
>

> --
> Cybertec Sch?nig & Sch?nig GmbH
> Gr?hrm?hlgasse 26
> A-2700 Wiener Neustadt, Austria
> Web: http://www.postgresql-support.de

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: shameless behavior of EDB ...

Date:
Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> Big Russia is empty !

Yes, we need to work on that.  I bet there are many Russian users but
EnterpriseDB doesn't know about them.  Africa and the Middle East are
also very sparse --- Selena and I have talked about how to improve that.
Brazil also looks unusually empty.

My map doesn't zoom.  Was that feature removed?

Date:
On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>> Big Russia is empty !
>
> Yes, we need to work on that.  I bet there are many Russian users but
> EnterpriseDB doesn't know about them.  Africa and the Middle East are
> also very sparse --- Selena and I have talked about how to improve that.
> Brazil also looks unusually empty.
>
> My map doesn't zoom.  Was that feature removed?

Yes - it's been temporarily replaced with an image while a version
less offensive to Hans is put together (probably along the lines of
Mike's suggestion).

Personally (speaking as myself and not an EDB employee) I think it's a
good thing to highlight how much Postgres is being used - I think that
can benefit the whole community.

However, it's not worth arguments here over the details though - they
have exactly the opposite effect on the community, hence why we're
making some changes.

--

Date:
On May 12, 2011, at 2:48 PM, Dave Page wrote:

> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>> Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>>> Big Russia is empty !
>>
>> Yes, we need to work on that.  I bet there are many Russian users but
>> EnterpriseDB doesn't know about them.  Africa and the Middle East are
>> also very sparse --- Selena and I have talked about how to improve that.
>> Brazil also looks unusually empty.
>>
>> My map doesn't zoom.  Was that feature removed?
>
> Yes - it's been temporarily replaced with an image while a version
> less offensive to Hans is put together (probably along the lines of
> Mike's suggestion).
>
> Personally (speaking as myself and not an EDB employee) I think it's a
> good thing to highlight how much Postgres is being used - I think that
> can benefit the whole community.
>
> However, it's not worth arguments here over the details though - they
> have exactly the opposite effect on the community, hence why we're
> making some changes.

absolutely ... - spreading the news is fine.
the point is: copying my content without asking the people who are actually listed and creating the impression that
theyare EDB people - this is more than a no go ...
anonymous links are fine ... nobody would have complained about that but putting full names on there without asking
anybody?this is definitely a no go and strictly speaking illegal to local law.
so, if you can kindly remove all names which have been taken from our sites i am fine ... - but: on behalf of my
clientsthis is a hard requirement.

    many thanks,

        hans

--
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH
Gröhrmühlgasse 26
A-2700 Wiener Neustadt, Austria
Web: http://www.postgresql-support.de

Re: shameless behavior of EDB ...

From
Alastair Turner
Date:
On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>> Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>>> Big Russia is empty !
>>
>> Yes, we need to work on that.  I bet there are many Russian users but
>> EnterpriseDB doesn't know about them.  Africa and the Middle East are
>> also very sparse --- Selena and I have talked about how to improve that.
>> Brazil also looks unusually empty.
>>
>> My map doesn't zoom.  Was that feature removed?
>
> Yes - it's been temporarily replaced with an image while a version
> less offensive to Hans is put together (probably along the lines of
> Mike's suggestion).
>
> Personally (speaking as myself and not an EDB employee) I think it's a
> good thing to highlight how much Postgres is being used - I think that
> can benefit the whole community.

If the map is going to be anonymous by default (which I think is what
Mike was suggesting) I'll gladly ask my clients and the members of the
local PUG for their locations. I agree that it's a great advocacy tool
(now that the colours are right) irrespective of whose name is on it.

Postgres is used by the freight rail system here in South Africa as
well as the largest medical practice management systems vendor for
their larger sites. The southern bit of Africa should certainly not be
that dark.

Alastair "Bell" Turner

Technical Lead
^F5

Date:
2011/5/12 PostgreSQL - Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres@cybertec.at>:

> absolutely ... - spreading the news is fine.
> the point is: copying my content without asking the people who are actually listed and creating the impression that
theyare EDB people - this is more than a no go ...
> anonymous links are fine ... nobody would have complained about that but putting full names on there without asking
anybody?this is definitely a no go and strictly speaking illegal to local law.

Don't forget that the EnterpriseDB website is under the jurisdiction
of US law - and as I understand it, reproducing this sort of
non-copyrightable info, compiled from publicly accessible sources is
perfectly acceptable there.

However, as I said - regardless of whether it is right or wrong, we
have removed it because we see no reason or benefit in upsetting
people and causing unnecessary arguments here.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: shameless behavior of EDB ...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Thu, 12 May 2011, Dave Page wrote:

> Personally (speaking as myself and not an EDB employee) I think it's a
> good thing to highlight how much Postgres is being used - I think that
> can benefit the whole community.

I think its a good thing too, but something that should have been done by
the community itself ... we *used* to have a map on the community web site
that highlighted lcoations of the develoeprs around the world ...
shouldn't have been hard to take that and extend it to an opt-in list of
actual users too ...

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org

Re: shameless behavior of EDB ...

From
Murat Karadeniz
Date:
12.05.2011 16:04, Dave Page yazmış:
> However, as I said - regardless of whether it is right or wrong, we
> have removed it because we see no reason or benefit in upsetting
> people and causing unnecessary arguments here.
You didn't remove it, you did it unzoomable; the same map and same
content are on your website, why you are full of lie and fraud?

EnterpriseDB should study on business ethic which it lacks, what does
stealing a customer list from another company mean?, think about this if
you can think.

As Hans said it is a shame but you dont seem to be ashamed, the problem
is this.

Date:
On May 12, 2011, at 3:48 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Thu, 12 May 2011, Dave Page wrote:
>
>> Personally (speaking as myself and not an EDB employee) I think it's a good thing to highlight how much Postgres is
beingused - I think that can benefit the whole community.

> I think its a good thing too, but something that should have been done by the community itself ... we *used* to have
amap on the community web site that highlighted lcoations of the develoeprs around the world ... shouldn't have been
hardto take that and extend it to an opt-in list of actual users too ...

+1 ... if it is for the community nobody would have a problem.
in addition to that: the community tends to ask ...
what i hate is the idea of having my folks show up on any non-community list without being asked.
this has nothing to do with business (we serve different kinds of people anyway) - it is a matter of style.

    hans

--
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH
Gröhrmühlgasse 26
A-2700 Wiener Neustadt, Austria
Web: http://www.postgresql-support.de

Re: shameless behavior of EDB ...

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Murat Karadeniz
<murat.karadeniz@emo.org.tr> wrote:
> 12.05.2011 16:04, Dave Page yazmış:
>>
>> However, as I said - regardless of whether it is right or wrong, we
>> have removed it because we see no reason or benefit in upsetting
>> people and causing unnecessary arguments here.
>
> You didn't remove it, you did it unzoomable; the same map and same content
> are on your website,

It's unzoomable, you cannot click on the blobs to visit the users
websites any more, and the names no longer popup. Are you saying we're
not allowed to show a map of the world with a few hundred fuzzy blobs
the size of Turkey dotted around on it?

> why you are full of lie and fraud?

Talking to people like that on these mailing lists is not acceptable.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: shameless behavior of EDB ...

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
On May 12, 2011, at 8:48 AM, Murat Karadeniz <murat.karadeniz@emo.org.tr> wrote:

> why you are full of lie and fraud?

Let's keep things civil folks...

Re: shameless behavior of EDB ...

From
Greg Smith
Dave Page wrote:
> Don't forget that the EnterpriseDB website is under the jurisdiction
> of US law - and as I understand it, reproducing this sort of
> non-copyrightable info, compiled from publicly accessible sources is
> perfectly acceptable there.

Not really, but this is a common enough misunderstanding that it even
provides some protection under the law here.  Cybertec should put an
explicit copyright notice on all of the pages of their web site, to
reduce the odds of this confusion happening.  Under US law it helps
eliminate the quite reasonable defense you have here, that this was
simply what's called "innocent infringement"--that it was copied without
realizing the content was protected.  If I were a Cybertec customer, in
addition to being mad at EDB I'd also be disappointed that this basic
step to help protect use of my name wasn't followed.  I throw copyright
notices on everything, just basic good business practice to make it
clear the information isn't in the public domain.

However, Cybertec's position here is still correct, if EDB's map
includes data derived from their
http://www.cybertec.at/en/postgresql_customers  (I didn't see it before
it went away)  That content is protected even in the US anyway, despite
not having an explicit notice or copyright registration.  Since March of
1989, the US has been following the  Berne Convention:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention_for_the_Protection_of_Literary_and_Artistic_Works
making its rules here match most of the world, and all of the EU.  So as
of 1989 here in the US too, you don't have to say something is
copyrighted to have a copyright, it's implicit and automatic upon
publication.  In most countries the 1996 WIPO Copyright Treaty helped
reinforce there's no difference for digital distribution:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Intellectual_Property_Organization_Copyright_Treaty

Basically, copying stuff off another website outside of the usual "fair
use" guidelines is always prohibited in most of the world.  This
restriction is the same one for why people trying to submit patches to
PostgreSQL with "download from my web site here" are always told to
submit their patch to the mailing list instead.  The project can never
use web content unless the page itself is extremely clear that it grants
appropriate license terms.  I suspect EDB's web team should have a
little talk with the legal department there about borrowing this
content, and when it's done any of those orange dots derived from
Cybertec's site will go away.

P.S. the right way to have handled this is to mail a letter to EDB
saying their site is using copyrighted material and they should stop.
Sending something to this mailing list is satisfying in terms of getting
a fast resolution, but it's not following the right sort of procedures
to protect that copyrighted data either.  I am certainly not a lawyer,
but I do know paper is the right way to send this sort of message if you
want to protect what you're written.

Re: shameless behavior of EDB ...

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
This mailing list is *not* appropriate for this discussion.  Thanks.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: pgDay Africa?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Alistair,

> Postgres is used by the freight rail system here in South Africa as
> well as the largest medical practice management systems vendor for
> their larger sites. The southern bit of Africa should certainly not be
> that dark.

So, you wanna host a pgDay?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Date:
On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> However, Cybertec's position here is still correct, if EDB's map includes
> data derived from their http://www.cybertec.at/en/postgresql_customers  (I
> didn't see it before it went away)  That content is protected even in the US
> anyway, despite not having an explicit notice or copyright registration.

My (probably incorrect) understanding was that implicit copyright only
applies to anything that can be considered artistic - eg. code that's
been written, or creative text or images, but not for example, simple
lists of names.

Similar to those arguments about header files that describe standards
compliant APIs being non-copyrightable, because they are non-artistic,
statements of fact.

But, I'm probably wrong - I'm not a lawyer, nor am I part of our web
team. I'm just the guy that takes all the flak.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: shameless behavior of EDB ...

From
Joshua Berkus
Date:
Let's please stop this discussion, thanks, Dave!

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Date:
On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Joshua Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Let's please stop this discussion, thanks, Dave!

Huh? I haven't said anything on this thread in over 24 hours - and
certainly have no desire to resurrect it.

--

Date:
On 5/13/11 11:17 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Joshua Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>
>> Let's please stop this discussion, thanks, Dave!
>
> Huh? I haven't said anything on this thread in over 24 hours - and
> certainly have no desire to resurrect it.

Odd.  Apparently one of your messages got held up in the mail queue and
delivered to me this morning.  Sorry for the noise.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.