Organizing the OSCON presence

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

The submission deadline for OSCON 2004 is just 21 days away.

I know that several people here were planning on presenting.  So far we've
heard from:

George Essig:  TSearch2 Presentation
Robert Bernier:  Tutorial and Presentation, topic unknown
Joe Conway: Extending PostgreSQL With C or PL/R or ???  Tutorial
Elein Varlena:  Unknown -- are you attending?
Robert Treat:  Submitted List, topic not chosen
Josh Berkus (with Erez Ascher):  PHP+PostgreSQL Database-centric
    Application Development -- 1/2 day tutorial?
Josh Berkus:  Some other presentation, maybe Indexing.

Please!  Let's organize this so that nobody submits conflicting presentations.

Bruce:  Not going this year?  Yes/no?
Jan:  Not presenting?
Josh Drake:  Hey, is Command Prompt doing a presentation/getting a booth?  You
should at least present on your replication software.

One other thing to settle is for one of the Core to take a "State of
PostgreSQL" presentation and push O'Reilly to give us a time slot.  If people
want me to, I'll do it, but if Bruce or Jan are there I'd rather have the
more senior project members on it.

We should also organize things for the BOF and making sure the Speaker's
lounge is staffed with PostgreSQL People.

Finally -- last but not least -- we may have some compensation available for
PostgreSQL people attending who don't have other sponsorship by OSCON.  But
Don't Count On It!    If you really can't afford to go without financial
help, contact me sooner rather than later.  Certainly I do not expect to have
our fundraising organized in time to have a booth -- maybe next time.

(And, can someone who's already given a tutorial at OSCON get in touch with
me?  I'm not clear on what a tutorial needs to be other than a longer
presentation with handouts.)

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

From
elein
Date:
Yes, I am planning on attending and I'm planning
on submitting both a tutorial and a talk.
My topic is not yet chosen.  I'm leaning toward
intro to OR concepts and possibly just plain
intro to PostgreSQL for a tutorial.

Josh, talk to me wrt php-pg app dev. I've got
a new tool you should evaluate.

Also, it is possible that David Reese will be
presenting an expanded talk/tutorial on the
topic of HA that is covered very briefly
in this week's PostgreSQL General Bits.
(http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits).

I would like to help with the coordination
of folks since I was critical of our presence
last year.   I'll see about setting up
the BOF.

Elein

PS: Also, please note that my last name is Mustain
although I usually just use "elein"--like "Cher"
or "Madonna" ;-) Varlena is my company name and
is also the name of the variable length array used as
a basis for variable length user defined
data types. :-)

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 12:30:53PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> The submission deadline for OSCON 2004 is just 21 days away.
>
> I know that several people here were planning on presenting.  So far we've
> heard from:
>
> George Essig:  TSearch2 Presentation
> Robert Bernier:  Tutorial and Presentation, topic unknown
> Joe Conway: Extending PostgreSQL With C or PL/R or ???  Tutorial
> Elein Varlena:  Unknown -- are you attending?
> Robert Treat:  Submitted List, topic not chosen
> Josh Berkus (with Erez Ascher):  PHP+PostgreSQL Database-centric
>     Application Development -- 1/2 day tutorial?
> Josh Berkus:  Some other presentation, maybe Indexing.
>
> Please!  Let's organize this so that nobody submits conflicting presentations.
>
> Bruce:  Not going this year?  Yes/no?
> Jan:  Not presenting?
> Josh Drake:  Hey, is Command Prompt doing a presentation/getting a booth?  You
> should at least present on your replication software.
>
> One other thing to settle is for one of the Core to take a "State of
> PostgreSQL" presentation and push O'Reilly to give us a time slot.  If people
> want me to, I'll do it, but if Bruce or Jan are there I'd rather have the
> more senior project members on it.
>
> We should also organize things for the BOF and making sure the Speaker's
> lounge is staffed with PostgreSQL People.
>
> Finally -- last but not least -- we may have some compensation available for
> PostgreSQL people attending who don't have other sponsorship by OSCON.  But
> Don't Count On It!    If you really can't afford to go without financial
> help, contact me sooner rather than later.  Certainly I do not expect to have
> our fundraising organized in time to have a booth -- maybe next time.
>
> (And, can someone who's already given a tutorial at OSCON get in touch with
> me?  I'm not clear on what a tutorial needs to be other than a longer
> presentation with handouts.)
>
> --
> -Josh Berkus
>  Aglio Database Solutions
>  San Francisco

Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Elein,

> I would like to help with the coordination
> of folks since I was critical of our presence
> last year.   I'll see about setting up
> the BOF.

You are welcome to be in charge.   In fact, the speaker@postgresql.org post is
currently vacant, as Jillian hasn't answered any of my e-mails in months,
probably because I didn't provide her enough support.  Sorry, Jillian!

I will be happy to be 2nd fiddle to you, since this will be my first
presentation at OSCON.

> PS: Also, please note that my last name is Mustain
> although I usually just use "elein"--like "Cher"
> or "Madonna" ;-) Varlena is my company name and
> is also the name of the variable length array used as
> a basis for variable length user defined
> data types. :-)

I'm not sure how I arrived at that particular confusion.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions
 San Francisco

Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:

>Folks,
>
>The submission deadline for OSCON 2004 is just 21 days away.
>
>I know that several people here were planning on presenting.  So far we've
>heard from:
>
>George Essig:  TSearch2 Presentation
>

>Robert Bernier:  Tutorial and Presentation, topic unknown

I've made application to do a tutorial, 1/2 day presentation, on
datamining email. It will use Perl to parse an mbox into a database. The
idea of the tutorial is to demonstrate some novel ways of exploring how
a typical, unmodified email client can run queries through a postgres
server that speaks IMAP.

With a little luck I'll be taking the opportunity of writing my OReilly
articles about datamining  to shape the tutorial.

>Joe Conway: Extending PostgreSQL With C or PL/R or ???  Tutorial
>Elein Varlena:  Unknown -- are you attending?
>Robert Treat:  Submitted List, topic not chosen
>Josh Berkus (with Erez Ascher):  PHP+PostgreSQL Database-centric
>    Application Development -- 1/2 day tutorial?
>Josh Berkus:  Some other presentation, maybe Indexing.

Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

From
Gavin Sherry
Date:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> The submission deadline for OSCON 2004 is just 21 days away.

I will submit something like this tutorial which I delivered the other
day:

http://www.alcove.com.au/lca2004/

Are there other topics which people would like addressed?

Gavin

Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Gavin,

> I will submit something like this tutorial which I delivered the other
> day:
>
> http://www.alcove.com.au/lca2004/

Cool!  You're flying all the way across the Pacific to join us?

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions
 San Francisco

Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Gavin,

> I've made application to do a tutorial, 1/2 day presentation, on
> datamining email. It will use Perl to parse an mbox into a database. The
> idea of the tutorial is to demonstrate some novel ways of exploring how
> a typical, unmodified email client can run queries through a postgres
> server that speaks IMAP.

Any chance you can collaborate with Josh Drake on an enhanced list archive
search engine?  He & I were just discussing stripping header fields into
database columns & making them searchable.

--

Date:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Gavin,
>
> > I will submit something like this tutorial which I delivered the other
> > day:
> >
> > http://www.alcove.com.au/lca2004/
>
> Cool!  You're flying all the way across the Pacific to join us?

I will need sponsorship from OSCON. That shouldn't be a problem, as
last time I spoke at the conference they organised tickets etc. Has this
changed?

Gavin

Date:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Gavin,

Josh, I presume you mean to address this email to Robert?

> > I've made application to do a tutorial, 1/2 day presentation, on
> > datamining email. It will use Perl to parse an mbox into a database. The
> > idea of the tutorial is to demonstrate some novel ways of exploring how
> > a typical, unmodified email client can run queries through a postgres
> > server that speaks IMAP.
>
> Any chance you can collaborate with Josh Drake on an enhanced list archive
> search engine?  He & I were just discussing stripping header fields into
> database columns & making them searchable.
>
> --
> -Josh Berkus
>  Aglio Database Solutions
>  San Francisco

Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
I'd be happy to do an introductory session similar to the one that I did
a few years ago.  I don't see anything on the list at that level, and it
was pretty successful, I believe.  Slides are at
http://pgsql.gavinroy.com/oscon2002/

The Other Gavin ;)

Josh Berkus wrote:

>Folks,
>
>The submission deadline for OSCON 2004 is just 21 days away.
>
>I know that several people here were planning on presenting.  So far we've
>heard from:
>
>George Essig:  TSearch2 Presentation
>Robert Bernier:  Tutorial and Presentation, topic unknown
>Joe Conway: Extending PostgreSQL With C or PL/R or ???  Tutorial
>Elein Varlena:  Unknown -- are you attending?
>Robert Treat:  Submitted List, topic not chosen
>Josh Berkus (with Erez Ascher):  PHP+PostgreSQL Database-centric
>    Application Development -- 1/2 day tutorial?
>Josh Berkus:  Some other presentation, maybe Indexing.
>
>Please!  Let's organize this so that nobody submits conflicting presentations.
>
>Bruce:  Not going this year?  Yes/no?
>Jan:  Not presenting?
>Josh Drake:  Hey, is Command Prompt doing a presentation/getting a booth?  You
>should at least present on your replication software.
>
>One other thing to settle is for one of the Core to take a "State of
>PostgreSQL" presentation and push O'Reilly to give us a time slot.  If people
>want me to, I'll do it, but if Bruce or Jan are there I'd rather have the
>more senior project members on it.
>
>We should also organize things for the BOF and making sure the Speaker's
>lounge is staffed with PostgreSQL People.
>
>Finally -- last but not least -- we may have some compensation available for
>PostgreSQL people attending who don't have other sponsorship by OSCON.  But
>Don't Count On It!    If you really can't afford to go without financial
>help, contact me sooner rather than later.  Certainly I do not expect to have
>our fundraising organized in time to have a booth -- maybe next time.
>
>(And, can someone who's already given a tutorial at OSCON get in touch with
>me?  I'm not clear on what a tutorial needs to be other than a longer
>presentation with handouts.)

Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> You are welcome to be in charge.   In fact, the
> speaker@postgresql.org post is currently vacant, as Jillian hasn't
> answered any of my e-mails in months, probably because I didn't
> provide her enough support.  Sorry, Jillian!

Well, if someone wants to have a speaker, they might as well write to
this list, because most of the candidates or those who know candidates
are here.

Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

From
elein
Date:
If they have access to the list, list is true.
For "outside" people, the speakers@postgresql.org
is good, too.  They are not mutually exclusive.
I can coordinate to the extent necessary and not
interfere when it is not necessary.

It is also nice to have one person keeping an
eye on responses so that requests get answered
one way or the other.

--elein

Date:
Gavin,

> Josh, I presume you mean to address this email to Robert?

Yes.  Sorry, bad e-mail editing.

--
-Josh Berkus

                                        Josh Berkus
   Complete information technology     josh@agliodbs.com
    and data management solutions     (415) 565-7293
   for law firms, small businesses      fax 621-2533
    and non-profit organizations.     San Francisco

Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
I'm afraid I don't that much time. I've got three deadlines to meet in
the next 10 days. But if its ideas and references that you're looking
for I can give you resources on where you can start. Do you want a copy
of the OReilly article, it includes source code (Part I) that I've
already written? It should be on the oreilly site within the next month
or so. It covers how I went about parsing the email into the database
engine.

regards

Rob

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> The submission deadline for OSCON 2004 is just 21 days away.
>
> I know that several people here were planning on presenting.  So far we've
> heard from:
>
> George Essig:  TSearch2 Presentation
> Robert Bernier:  Tutorial and Presentation, topic unknown
> Joe Conway: Extending PostgreSQL With C or PL/R or ???  Tutorial
> Elein Varlena:  Unknown -- are you attending?
> Robert Treat:  Submitted List, topic not chosen
> Josh Berkus (with Erez Ascher):  PHP+PostgreSQL Database-centric
>     Application Development -- 1/2 day tutorial?
> Josh Berkus:  Some other presentation, maybe Indexing.
>
> Please!  Let's organize this so that nobody submits conflicting presentations.
>
> Bruce:  Not going this year?  Yes/no?

My travel schedule has been very full, so because there seems like
enough people are going, I am not planning to attend.  If the date draws
near and I don't have a full schedule, I plan to attend.

Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 22:50, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > The submission deadline for OSCON 2004 is just 21 days away.
> >
> > I know that several people here were planning on presenting.  So far we've
> > heard from:
> >
> > George Essig:  TSearch2 Presentation
> > Robert Bernier:  Tutorial and Presentation, topic unknown
> > Joe Conway: Extending PostgreSQL With C or PL/R or ???  Tutorial
> > Elein Varlena:  Unknown -- are you attending?
> > Robert Treat:  Submitted List, topic not chosen
> > Josh Berkus (with Erez Ascher):  PHP+PostgreSQL Database-centric
> >     Application Development -- 1/2 day tutorial?
> > Josh Berkus:  Some other presentation, maybe Indexing.
> >
> > Please!  Let's organize this so that nobody submits conflicting presentations.
> >
> > Bruce:  Not going this year?  Yes/no?
>
> My travel schedule has been very full, so because there seems like
> enough people are going, I am not planning to attend.  If the date draws
> near and I don't have a full schedule, I plan to attend.

This seems somewhat unfortunate given that OSCon is the closest thing we
have to a dedicated postgresql conference. I'll understand if you have
other commitments, but I'd rather have you attend OSCon over just about
any other conference (and I don't think I am alone on that).

Robert Treat

Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>This seems somewhat unfortunate given that OSCon is the closest thing we
>have to a dedicated postgresql conference. I'll understand if you have
>other commitments, but I'd rather have you attend OSCon over just about
>any other conference (and I don't think I am alone on that).

OSCon is not a very big conference compared to say, LinuxWorld. Yes
OSCon is important
but I don't think it would make any difference (no offense Bruce) if he
were there or not. A lot
of other PostgreSQL members will be there.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>Robert Treat

Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 12:30:53PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Please!  Let's organize this so that nobody submits conflicting
> presentations.

I'm willing to submit something on replication if Jan is not going.
I haven't heard anything from him about this yet.  (BTW, I didn't get
much feedback from anyone on the presentation I made last year, & I'm
interested in hearing any brickbats.  So if you got 'em, throw 'em.)

I could easily offer something on setting up erserver, living with
its various deficiencies, recovering and failing over, various tricks
you can do with it.  Heck, I have more than enough material to do a
half-day tutorial if peopple think there'd  be interest.  It's got
plenty of problems and therefore requires a lot of hand holding.
Interest?

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The plural of anecdote is not data.
        --Roger Brinner

Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

From
elein
Date:
 From the questions I'm getting and the discussions I'm
hearing about replication, a tutorial would absolutely
be appropriate.

elein

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 01:57:24PM -0500, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 12:30:53PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Please!  Let's organize this so that nobody submits conflicting
> > presentations.
>
> I'm willing to submit something on replication if Jan is not going.
> I haven't heard anything from him about this yet.  (BTW, I didn't get
> much feedback from anyone on the presentation I made last year, & I'm
> interested in hearing any brickbats.  So if you got 'em, throw 'em.)
>
> I could easily offer something on setting up erserver, living with
> its various deficiencies, recovering and failing over, various tricks
> you can do with it.  Heck, I have more than enough material to do a
> half-day tutorial if peopple think there'd  be interest.  It's got
> plenty of problems and therefore requires a lot of hand holding.
> Interest?

> Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
> The plural of anecdote is not data.
>         --Roger Brinner

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Andrew,

> I could easily offer something on setting up erserver, living with
> its various deficiencies, recovering and failing over, various tricks
> you can do with it.  Heck, I have more than enough material to do a
> half-day tutorial if peopple think there'd  be interest.  It's got
> plenty of problems and therefore requires a lot of hand holding.
> Interest?

I'd attend it; I guess the question is how many among the hoi-palloi would.

Incidentally, since Bruce may not be going and Jan is also a "maybe" I'm going
to put in for "The State of the Elephant: PostgreSQL".

--

Date:
Robert Treat wrote:
> > > Bruce:  Not going this year?  Yes/no?
> >
> > My travel schedule has been very full, so because there seems like
> > enough people are going, I am not planning to attend.  If the date draws
> > near and I don't have a full schedule, I plan to attend.
> >

> This seems somewhat unfortunate given that OSCon is the closest thing we
> have to a dedicated postgresql conference. I'll understand if you have
> other commitments, but I'd rather have you attend OSCon over just about
> any other conference (and I don't think I am alone on that).

OK, that makes sense.

Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Date:

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> The submission deadline for OSCON 2004 is just 21 days away.
>
> I know that several people here were planning on presenting.  So far we've
> heard from:
>
> George Essig:  TSearch2 Presentation

I still plan on giving a talk on tsearch2.  I will submit the proposal to O'Reilly before the end
of the month.  Work approved the conference, and Oleg Bartunov, an author of tsearch2, said he
would give me some advice.

George Essig

Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

Date:
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
[ There is text before PGP section. ]

[ PGP not available, raw data follows ]

> > The submission deadline for OSCON 2004 is just 21 days away.
>
> I'm going to submit an application or two soon. One is a
> tutorial on how to use the database to help your DBA and
> application writers get along with other by good use of
> "advanced" database features. The other one is still in
> flux, but perhaps a "how to convert from a proprietary
> database to an open-source one" By open source one I mean
> PostgreSQL of course ;).
>
> > One other thing to settle is for one of the Core to take
> > a "State of PostgreSQL" presentation and push O'Reilly
> > to give us a time slot.
>
> Are you on this? Have you heard back from O'Reilly on this yet?
> I really, really want to see this happen. :)

I am going to submit my "Adoption and Trends" talk for a "State of
PostgreSQL" talk. I think it is general enough and has lots of
interesting ideas even for non-PostgreSQL folks.

Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

OSCon is not a very big conference compared to say, LinuxWorld. Yes
OSCon is important but I don't think it would make any difference
(no offense Bruce) if he were there or not. A lot of other
PostgreSQL members will be there.

You are joking, right?
No. I am not.

LinuxWorld is a big vendor-fest.

LinuxWorld is currently the default conference where people go, who want to **buy** Open Source.

 I don't
know anyone who goes anymore.
I know a great deal of people who go.

 OSCON is *the* conference for open-source
applications, of which PostgreSQL is one of the best.
Yes but I didn't say it wasn't. OSCON is still getting its feet underneath it.
It was small and badly implemented (IMHO) last year. This year will
be better I believe.

We also happen
to run on things besides Linux anyway. :)
Yes but Linux and Open Source are quite synonymous. There are exceptions,
but Linux is the Open Source platform to the majority of the massess. All
other OSS is just something that run on Linux.

Of course those in the know, know differently but then again this gets back
to the perception argument.

I too, would be very surprised if Bruce was not there, and would
rather see him miss other talks if it helps him to make this one.
I think the fact that we are arguing about Bruce, without Bruce is silly. I think it is his
decision and that based on the amount of people that will be at OSCon, if he chooses
to not fly the 3000 miles this time, then I say, "Good for him, take a rest."

Where else can you get Tom and Bruce at the same conference?
LinuxWorld? (I actually don't know, just curious)

(Someday, we'll have PostgresCon and this will be a moot point)
ehhhh.... maybe.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --
Greg Sabino Mullane greg@turnstep.com
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200401202049

Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

From
George Essig
Date:
Oleg,

Yes, I will mention Search-OpenFTS-Crawler.  I just installed it.  It's awesome.  It so nice to
have and end-to-end solution that uses tsearch2.  Search-OpenFTS-Crawler demonstrates features
like: relevance ranking, word stemming, HTML parsing, and headline generation.

I had some trouble installing it though.  In particular, I would improve the INSTALL file for
Lingua-Stem-Snowball.  In step 1, I would include instructions on how install snowball.  Include
something like:

cd /tmp/snowball
tar -xvzf ./snowball.tgz
gcc -O -o snowball p/*.c
Copy or link the executable to a directory in your path.

In step 5, I would include an example that uses the bash shell to set the snowball environment
variables:

SNOWBALL_SRC=/tmp/snowball
export SNOWBALL_SRC

SNOWBALL_STEMMER=/tmp/stemmers
export SNOWBALL_STEMMER

Last, I would comment out the following line in Search-OpenFTS-Crawler-0.4/example/init-crawler.pl

use lib qw (/u/megera/app/fts/test-suite);

Thanks,
George

--- Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> wrote:
> George,
>
> probably another example how to use OpenFTS would be
> creating searchable PostgreSQL documentation I described in
> Search-OpenFTS-Crawler-0.4.tar.gz ?
>
> Search::OpenFTS::Crawler inherits most functions of Search::OpenFTS and
> adds crawler specific methods, so once installed it's very easy to create
> searchable collections (on one database). You may download it from
> http://openfts.sourceforge.net/contributions.shtml
>
> Live example:
>   http://mira.sai.msu.ru/~megera/pgsql/
>
>     Oleg
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, George Essig wrote:
>
> > Josh Berkus wrote:
> >
> > > Folks,
> > >
> > > The submission deadline for OSCON 2004 is just 21 days away.
> > >
> > > I know that several people here were planning on presenting.  So far we've
> > > heard from:
> > >
> > > George Essig:  TSearch2 Presentation
> >
> > I still plan on giving a talk on tsearch2.  I will submit the proposal to O'Reilly before the
> end
> > of the month.  Work approved the conference, and Oleg Bartunov, an author of tsearch2, said he
> > would give me some advice.
> >
> > George Essig
> >

>     Regards,
>         Oleg
> Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Bruce,

> I am going to submit my "Adoption and Trends" talk for a "State of
> PostgreSQL" talk. I think it is general enough and has lots of
> interesting ideas even for non-PostgreSQL folks.

OK.   I'll contact O"Reilly to make sure that this talk is given "State of"
status.   Last year, the "State of PostgreSQL" was conspicous by its
absence ...

Of course, one of the other things the OSS public really want to know is
what's currently being worked on in PostgreSQL.   Are you willing to cover
that, in brief, or should we figure out some other way?

-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions
 San Francisco

Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Guys,

> LinuxWorld is currently the default conference where people go, who want
> to **buy** Open Source.

*before* we start another interminable "Developers vs. Marketeers" argument
here, let me jump in.

Both conferences are important in different ways.   We should go to OSCON to
reach other OSS developers; we should go to Linuxworld to reach "suits" who
are thinking of trying an OSS database for the first time.  Both initiatives
are important, but different.

Regarding *Bruce's* attendence, however, OSCON is the important one.   Why?
Because the "suits" could care less that he's a senior member of CORE and the
commit manager.  They will be just as happy with me, or Josh D., or Elein ...
maybe happier.  They're used to talking to marketing drones -- take a look at
the IBM booth at LWE.   65 salespeople, 6 engineers.

If we have to pick and choose, our star programmers need to focus on the
"developer" conventions, such as OSCON, Gnome, GUADEC, WWDC.   The
non-source-hackers on this list can pick up the slack at the "suit"
conventions.

Also, if Comdex improves their OSS Pavillion this year, we may see the
importance of LinuxWorld fading in the US.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions
 San Francisco

Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
George,

probably another example how to use OpenFTS would be
creating searchable PostgreSQL documentation I described in
Search-OpenFTS-Crawler-0.4.tar.gz ?

Search::OpenFTS::Crawler inherits most functions of Search::OpenFTS and
adds crawler specific methods, so once installed it's very easy to create
searchable collections (on one database). You may download it from
http://openfts.sourceforge.net/contributions.shtml

Live example:
  http://mira.sai.msu.ru/~megera/pgsql/

    Oleg
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, George Essig wrote:

> Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > Folks,
> >
> > The submission deadline for OSCON 2004 is just 21 days away.
> >
> > I know that several people here were planning on presenting.  So far we've
> > heard from:
> >
> > George Essig:  TSearch2 Presentation
>
> I still plan on giving a talk on tsearch2.  I will submit the proposal to O'Reilly before the end
> of the month.  Work approved the conference, and Oleg Bartunov, an author of tsearch2, said he
> would give me some advice.
>
> George Essig

    Regards,
        Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
George,

I'd appreciate if you improve documentation - make it clear and improve
english. Also, if you could make scripts more user friendly...

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> I think the fact that we are arguing about Bruce, without Bruce
> is silly. I think it is his decision and that based on the amount
> of people that will be at OSCon, if he chooses to not fly the
> 3000 miles this time, then I say, "Good for him, take a rest."

SRA pays me to do what is best of the community.  If the community says
it is important I attend, I attend.  I could say "no", but then I
wouldn't be doing my job.

Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> > I am going to submit my "Adoption and Trends" talk for a "State of
> > PostgreSQL" talk. I think it is general enough and has lots of
> > interesting ideas even for non-PostgreSQL folks.
>
> OK.   I'll contact O"Reilly to make sure that this talk is given "State of"
> status.   Last year, the "State of PostgreSQL" was conspicous by its
> absence ...
>
> Of course, one of the other things the OSS public really want to know is
> what's currently being worked on in PostgreSQL.   Are you willing to cover
> that, in brief, or should we figure out some other way?

This is the talk I would give for a State of the Union:

    http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/adoption_and_trends.pdf

Here is the description:

    http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/selecting.html

(They don't have to pay my expenses, but if they want to ...)

Of course, updated for current development status.  Josh, would you
submit this?  I am not sure how to submit such a presentation.  Thanks.

Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> > I am going to submit my "Adoption and Trends" talk for a "State of
> > PostgreSQL" talk. I think it is general enough and has lots of
> > interesting ideas even for non-PostgreSQL folks.
>
> OK.   I'll contact O"Reilly to make sure that this talk is given "State of"
> status.   Last year, the "State of PostgreSQL" was conspicous by its
> absence ...
>
> Of course, one of the other things the OSS public really want to know is
> what's currently being worked on in PostgreSQL.   Are you willing to cover
> that, in brief, or should we figure out some other way?

Sure, that is in the PDF I just sent.

Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Guys,
>
> > LinuxWorld is currently the default conference where people go, who want
> > to **buy** Open Source.
>
> *before* we start another interminable "Developers vs. Marketeers" argument
> here, let me jump in.
>
> Both conferences are important in different ways.   We should go to OSCON to
> reach other OSS developers; we should go to Linuxworld to reach "suits" who
> are thinking of trying an OSS database for the first time.  Both initiatives
> are important, but different.
>
> Regarding *Bruce's* attendence, however, OSCON is the important one.   Why?
> Because the "suits" could care less that he's a senior member of CORE and the
> commit manager.  They will be just as happy with me, or Josh D., or Elein ...
> maybe happier.  They're used to talking to marketing drones -- take a look at
> the IBM booth at LWE.   65 salespeople, 6 engineers.
>
> If we have to pick and choose, our star programmers need to focus on the
> "developer" conventions, such as OSCON, Gnome, GUADEC, WWDC.   The
> non-source-hackers on this list can pick up the slack at the "suit"
> conventions.
>
> Also, if Comdex improves their OSS Pavillion this year, we may see the
> importance of LinuxWorld fading in the US.

FYI, I had 35 people for the LinuxWorld NYC 1.5 hour BOF.  It was great.

Date:

Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 12:30:53PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Please!  Let's organize this so that nobody submits conflicting
>> presentations.
>
> I'm willing to submit something on replication if Jan is not going.
> I haven't heard anything from him about this yet.  (BTW, I didn't get
> much feedback from anyone on the presentation I made last year, & I'm
> interested in hearing any brickbats.  So if you got 'em, throw 'em.)

Andrew and I just came out of a meeting. Over the next couple of days I
will assemble a list of details to present about Slony-I and will
compose a presentation proposal for OSCON by mid next week. Depending on
another meeting tomorrow I might as well prepare a second presentation
about the new performance features in 7.5, namely ARC, the background
writer and eventual new vacuum features.

Jan

Jan Wieck wrote:
> Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 12:30:53PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> >> Please!  Let's organize this so that nobody submits conflicting
> >> presentations.
> >
> > I'm willing to submit something on replication if Jan is not going.
> > I haven't heard anything from him about this yet.  (BTW, I didn't get
> > much feedback from anyone on the presentation I made last year, & I'm
> > interested in hearing any brickbats.  So if you got 'em, throw 'em.)
>
> Andrew and I just came out of a meeting. Over the next couple of days I
> will assemble a list of details to present about Slony-I and will
> compose a presentation proposal for OSCON by mid next week. Depending on
> another meeting tomorrow I might as well prepare a second presentation
> about the new performance features in 7.5, namely ARC, the background
> writer and eventual new vacuum features.

Yes, the new performance features would be a good topic.

Only SEVEN DAYS Until OSCON Deadline!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

The OSCON submission deadline is NEXT MONDAY, and so far I see only 3
presentations and 1 tutorial submitted.   Please prepare & submit your stuff!

Elein, Bruce, are we set up for the "what's new with PostgreSQL" talk, or does
that have to be submitted?

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Only SEVEN DAYS Until OSCON Deadline!

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> The OSCON submission deadline is NEXT MONDAY, and so far I see only 3
> presentations and 1 tutorial submitted.   Please prepare & submit your stuff!
>
> Elein, Bruce, are we set up for the "what's new with PostgreSQL" talk, or does
> that have to be submitted?

I have one for the state of the union.  However, because it supposed to
be funny, I am thinking of a spoof report about PostgreSQL.  I think it
could be funny.

Re: Only SEVEN DAYS Until OSCON Deadline!

From
elein
Date:
I submitted a request to Nat and have not heard anything
back.  Did anyone actually submit the talk?  If not, please
do so.  State of PostgreSQL was actually how I presented it
and I requested that it be part of a general session.  It
however, can be one of the talks.

elein

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 11:25:05AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > The OSCON submission deadline is NEXT MONDAY, and so far I see only 3
> > presentations and 1 tutorial submitted.   Please prepare & submit your stuff!
> >
> > Elein, Bruce, are we set up for the "what's new with PostgreSQL" talk, or does
> > that have to be submitted?
>
> I have one for the state of the union.  However, because it supposed to
> be funny, I am thinking of a spoof report about PostgreSQL.  I think it
> could be funny.

Re: Only SEVEN DAYS Until OSCON Deadline!

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
I don't expect you would here of anything until after the deadline.

elein wrote:

>I submitted a request to Nat and have not heard anything
>back.  Did anyone actually submit the talk?  If not, please
>do so.  State of PostgreSQL was actually how I presented it
>and I requested that it be part of a general session.  It
>however, can be one of the talks.
>
>elein

Re: Only SEVEN DAYS Until OSCON Deadline!

From
"Chris Travers"
Date:
I have gone ahead and submitted a presentation on PostgreSQL and active
database design.

> The OSCON submission deadline is NEXT MONDAY, and so far I see only 3
> presentations and 1 tutorial submitted.   Please prepare & submit your
stuff!

> Elein, Bruce, are we set up for the "what's new with PostgreSQL" talk, or
does
> that have to be submitted?
>
> --
> -Josh Berkus
>  Aglio Database Solutions
>  San Francisco

Only FOUR DAYS Until OSCON Deadline!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
People,

We only have tommorrow and the weekend left for people to submit proposals for
OSCON.   Currently there are just 2 tutorials, and 7 talks in the system ...
and 2 of those talks are doubling up, so we really only have 5!

It's not enough!    SUBMIT, SUBMIT, SUBMIT!
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2004/create/e_sess

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions