Organizing the OSCON presence - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

Folks,

The submission deadline for OSCON 2004 is just 21 days away.

I know that several people here were planning on presenting.  So far we've
heard from:

George Essig:  TSearch2 Presentation
Robert Bernier:  Tutorial and Presentation, topic unknown
Joe Conway: Extending PostgreSQL With C or PL/R or ???  Tutorial
Elein Varlena:  Unknown -- are you attending?
Robert Treat:  Submitted List, topic not chosen
Josh Berkus (with Erez Ascher):  PHP+PostgreSQL Database-centric
    Application Development -- 1/2 day tutorial?
Josh Berkus:  Some other presentation, maybe Indexing.

Please!  Let's organize this so that nobody submits conflicting presentations.

Bruce:  Not going this year?  Yes/no?
Jan:  Not presenting?
Josh Drake:  Hey, is Command Prompt doing a presentation/getting a booth?  You
should at least present on your replication software.

One other thing to settle is for one of the Core to take a "State of
PostgreSQL" presentation and push O'Reilly to give us a time slot.  If people
want me to, I'll do it, but if Bruce or Jan are there I'd rather have the
more senior project members on it.

We should also organize things for the BOF and making sure the Speaker's
lounge is staffed with PostgreSQL People.

Finally -- last but not least -- we may have some compensation available for
PostgreSQL people attending who don't have other sponsorship by OSCON.  But
Don't Count On It!    If you really can't afford to go without financial
help, contact me sooner rather than later.  Certainly I do not expect to have
our fundraising organized in time to have a booth -- maybe next time.

(And, can someone who's already given a tutorial at OSCON get in touch with
me?  I'm not clear on what a tutorial needs to be other than a longer
presentation with handouts.)

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions