Re: Organizing the OSCON presence - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Organizing the OSCON presence
Date
Re: Organizing the OSCON presence
List pgsql-advocacy

OSCon is not a very big conference compared to say, LinuxWorld. Yes
OSCon is important but I don't think it would make any difference
(no offense Bruce) if he were there or not. A lot of other
PostgreSQL members will be there.

You are joking, right?
No. I am not.

LinuxWorld is a big vendor-fest.

LinuxWorld is currently the default conference where people go, who want to **buy** Open Source.

 I don't
know anyone who goes anymore.
I know a great deal of people who go.

 OSCON is *the* conference for open-source
applications, of which PostgreSQL is one of the best.
Yes but I didn't say it wasn't. OSCON is still getting its feet underneath it.
It was small and badly implemented (IMHO) last year. This year will
be better I believe.

We also happen
to run on things besides Linux anyway. :)
Yes but Linux and Open Source are quite synonymous. There are exceptions,
but Linux is the Open Source platform to the majority of the massess. All
other OSS is just something that run on Linux.

Of course those in the know, know differently but then again this gets back
to the perception argument.

I too, would be very surprised if Bruce was not there, and would
rather see him miss other talks if it helps him to make this one.
I think the fact that we are arguing about Bruce, without Bruce is silly. I think it is his
decision and that based on the amount of people that will be at OSCon, if he chooses
to not fly the 3000 miles this time, then I say, "Good for him, take a rest."

Where else can you get Tom and Bruce at the same conference?
LinuxWorld? (I actually don't know, just curious)

(Someday, we'll have PostgresCon and this will be a moot point)
ehhhh.... maybe.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --