The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country.

From
felix.quintgz@yahoo.com
Date:
I am trying to download the installer and I get this error. The same happens with binary files.

403 ERROR
The request could not be satisfied.
The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country. We can't connect to the server for
thisapp or website at this time. There might be too much traffic or a configuration error. Try again later, or contact
theapp or website owner.

If you provide content to customers through CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot and help prevent this error
byreviewing the CloudFront documentation.

Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront)
Request ID: asdbQyjKvpRkboABJVWMOVtNnqMx8XVv74Ho_GBQF-lx6qWcRIhLaw==
Greetings
Thank you very much in advance

On 4/10/21 2:00 PM, felix.quintgz@yahoo.com wrote:
> I am trying to download the installer and I get this error. The same happens with binary files.

> 403 ERROR
> The request could not be satisfied.
> The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country. We can't connect to the server
forthis app or website at this time. There might be too much traffic or a configuration error. Try again later, or
contactthe app or website owner.

> If you provide content to customers through CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot and help prevent this
errorby reviewing the CloudFront documentation.

> Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront)
> Request ID: asdbQyjKvpRkboABJVWMOVtNnqMx8XVv74Ho_GBQF-lx6qWcRIhLaw==

Why is this directly relevant to Postgresql?

Re: The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country.

From
felix.quintgz@yahoo.com
Date:
Because it is the Postgresql installer. https://www.enterprisedb.com/downloads/postgres-postgresql-downloads

 On Saturday, April 10, 2021, 07:30:29 PM GMT-4, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:

 On 4/10/21 2:00 PM, felix.quintgz@yahoo.com wrote:
> I am trying to download the installer and I get this error. The same happens with binary files.

> 403 ERROR
> The request could not be satisfied.
> The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country. We can't connect to the server
forthis app or website at this time. There might be too much traffic or a configuration error. Try again later, or
contactthe app or website owner.

> If you provide content to customers through CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot and help prevent this
errorby reviewing the CloudFront documentation.

> Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront)
> Request ID: asdbQyjKvpRkboABJVWMOVtNnqMx8XVv74Ho_GBQF-lx6qWcRIhLaw==

Why is this directly relevant to Postgresql?

Then you should ask EDB, or Amazon, or use a VPN.

On 4/10/21 7:03 PM, felix.quintgz@yahoo.com wrote:
> Because it is the Postgresql installer. https://www.enterprisedb.com/downloads/postgres-postgresql-downloads
>
>   On Saturday, April 10, 2021, 07:30:29 PM GMT-4, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>   On 4/10/21 2:00 PM, felix.quintgz@yahoo.com wrote:
>> I am trying to download the installer and I get this error. The same happens with binary files.

>> 403 ERROR
>> The request could not be satisfied.
>> The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country. We can't connect to the server
forthis app or website at this time. There might be too much traffic or a configuration error. Try again later, or
contactthe app or website owner.

>> If you provide content to customers through CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot and help prevent this
errorby reviewing the CloudFront documentation.

>> Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront)
>> Request ID: asdbQyjKvpRkboABJVWMOVtNnqMx8XVv74Ho_GBQF-lx6qWcRIhLaw==
> Why is this directly relevant to Postgresql?

Re: The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country.

From
felix.quintgz@yahoo.com
Date:
I see no reason why ask elsewhere first, the link for the installer download is on the Postgresql website, not
elsewhere.The most logical thing to do is ask here first.

 On Saturday, April 10, 2021, 08:07:15 PM GMT-4, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:

Then you should ask EDB, or Amazon, or use a VPN.

On 4/10/21 7:03 PM, felix.quintgz@yahoo.com wrote:
> Because it is the Postgresql installer. https://www.enterprisedb.com/downloads/postgres-postgresql-downloads
>
>  On Saturday, April 10, 2021, 07:30:29 PM GMT-4, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  On 4/10/21 2:00 PM, felix.quintgz@yahoo.com wrote:
>> I am trying to download the installer and I get this error. The same happens with binary files.

>> 403 ERROR
>> The request could not be satisfied.
>> The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country. We can't connect to the server
forthis app or website at this time. There might be too much traffic or a configuration error. Try again later, or
contactthe app or website owner.
>> If you provide content to customers through CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot and help prevent this
errorby reviewing the CloudFront documentation.

>> Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront)
>> Request ID: asdbQyjKvpRkboABJVWMOVtNnqMx8XVv74Ho_GBQF-lx6qWcRIhLaw==
> Why is this directly relevant to Postgresql?

Hello Felix,

On 11.04.2021 02:31, felix.quintgz@yahoo.com wrote:
> I see no reason why ask elsewhere first, the link for the installer download is on the Postgresql website, not
elsewhere.The most logical thing to do is ask here first.

> Because it is the Postgresql installer. https://www.enterprisedb.com/downloads/postgres-postgresql-downloads

It's unfortunate that your download is blocked. As indicated by others I
am also wondering why you ask here for community support.

You pointed to a download link which is controlled by a private company
selling Postgresql services:

Read about this company on an independent website:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EnterpriseDB

If you are looking for the download links of the PostgreSQL project, you
can find it here:

https://www.postgresql.org/download/

Based on your feedback, it is NOT the link listed on the PostgreSQL
website, but on a 3rd party website. This is why you got the
recommendation to check with them. You also got hints on how you could
potentially work around the download restriction by using a VPN.

Stephan

As my point of view  better to connect VPN, it's a best option for you and you can download easily.

On Apr 11, 2021, at 1:53 AM, Stephan Knauss <pgsql@stephans-server.de> wrote:

[...]

With all due respect, the link he posted IS the link listed on the PostgreSQL website, at least for me. When I go to the link YOU posted, and click on MacOS, for example (giving me a URL of https://www.postgresql.org/download/macosx/), the FIRST option listed there is "Interactive installer by EDB”, which links to https://www.enterprisedb.com/downloads/postgres-postgresql-downloads. There is no indication on that page that you are linking to a third-party package download not supported by PostgreSQL (it does say “certified by EDB”, but that doesn’t mean much to a new user, and certainly doesn’t indicate a lack of support by PostgreSQL), so it makes total sense that someone would think to ask here first when experiencing issues.

If you don’t want to offer assistance, that’s fine, but this link most certainly IS the link listed on the PostgreSQL website, at least for MacOS. I haven’t checked for other operating systems.

---
Israel Brewster
Software Engineer
Alaska Volcano Observatory
Geophysical Institute - UAF
2156 Koyukuk Drive
Fairbanks AK 99775-7320
Work: 907-474-5172
cell:  907-328-9145

On 4/11/21 9:12 AM, Israel Brewster wrote:
[...]

Your comment means that the owners of any web page which links to a third party product must support that third-party product, just by virtue of supporting it.  That's crazy.

On Apr 11, 2021, at 6:52 AM, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

My comment means no such thing. You are absolutely right: that would be crazy. What my comment means is exactly what it says:

1) The official PostgreSQL download page (for both mac and windows platforms) makes NO MENTION of the FACT that it is linking to an unsupported third-party installer, and
2) as such, it makes total sense that someone going to the official PostgreSQL download page and getting an error when clicking on a link on the official PostgreSQL download page would come here first for support.

That is ALL I said, and that is ALL I meant. DO NOT put words in my mouth!

---
Israel Brewster
Software Engineer
Alaska Volcano Observatory
Geophysical Institute - UAF
2156 Koyukuk Drive
Fairbanks AK 99775-7320
Work: 907-474-5172
cell:  907-328-9145

Re: The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country.

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date:
On Sunday, April 11, 2021, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:

Your comment means that the owners of any web page which links to a third party product must support that third-party product, just by virtue of supporting it.  That's crazy.

We could do a better job on making it clear that the community project doesn’t really support platform specific installers, and be obvious when links go off-site to those third-parties.

David J.

Re: The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country.

From
felix.quintgz@yahoo.com
Date:
The link https://www.postgresql.org/download/ in the PostgreSQL Downloads section, Windows, redirects to the page
https://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/.There are only two links in it and both redirect to the EnterpriseDB site.
Atno time is it clarified that it is a third party, even the link is outside the third party section.

On the page https://www.postgresql.org/download/ there are only two more sections, the source code and third parties.
Thereforethe official source for downloading the installer is the link I put, I checked all the links on the site and
nowhereis it offered to download the installer from the PostgreSQL site itself.

The use of vpn is not legal in some countries, it is an option that can get me in trouble. The only option I have left
isto search for a link in google and download it from some dubious source.

If my software requires zlib, and I link to https://zlib.net/ on my page, then your logic absolutely means that I'm responsible for supporting zlib.

On 4/11/21 2:53 AM, Stephan Knauss wrote:
> Hello Felix,
>
> On 11.04.2021 02:31, felix.quintgz@yahoo.com wrote:
>> I see no reason why ask elsewhere first, the link for the installer
>> download is on the Postgresql website, not elsewhere. The most logical
>> thing to do is ask here first.
>
>> Because it is the Postgresql installer.
>> https://www.enterprisedb.com/downloads/postgres-postgresql-downloads
>>
> It's unfortunate that your download is blocked. As indicated by others I
> am also wondering why you ask here for community support.
>
> You pointed to a download link which is controlled by a private company
> selling Postgresql services:
>
> Read about this company on an independent website:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EnterpriseDB
>
> If you are looking for the download links of the PostgreSQL project, you
> can find it here:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/download/

Which as others have pointed out links to the EDB site for certain
downloads. As also pointed it is not entirely clear that some of the
links are to PGDG installs and some are third party.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

On 4/11/21 8:16 AM, Ron wrote:

>> That is ALL I said, and that is ALL I meant. DO NOT put words in my mouth!
>
> If my software requires zlib, and I link to https://zlib.net/ on my
> page, then your logic absolutely means that I'm responsible for
> supporting zlib.

Except the route was:

https://www.postgresql.org/

https://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/

https://www.enterprisedb.com/downloads/postgres-postgresql-downloads

Where the download was Postgres itself not a contained package. This is
just a matter of making it clearer at what point a user is leaving
community supported packages and entering third party packaging.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

On 4/11/21 8:11 AM, felix.quintgz@yahoo.com wrote:
> The link https://www.postgresql.org/download/ in the PostgreSQL Downloads section, Windows, redirects to the page
https://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/.There are only two links in it and both redirect to the EnterpriseDB site.
Atno time is it clarified that it is a third party, even the link is outside the third party section.

> On the page https://www.postgresql.org/download/ there are only two more sections, the source code and third parties.
Thereforethe official source for downloading the installer is the link I put, I checked all the links on the site and
nowhereis it offered to download the installer from the PostgreSQL site itself.

> The use of vpn is not legal in some countries, it is an option that can get me in trouble. The only option I have
leftis to search for a link in google and download it from some dubious source.

Another option, now that you know the situation, is to contact
EDB(https://www.enterprisedb.com/contact) and see if there are other
ways to get the software.

There is also the option of downloading the source:

https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/

from the community site and building Postgres.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

On 4/11/21 11:16 AM, Ron wrote:
> If my software requires zlib, and I link to https://zlib.net/ on my
> page, then your logic absolutely means that I'm responsible for
> supporting zlib.

Let's clarify "support" in this context. If you link to zlib.net, you
are not responsible for zlib itself. But if for whatever reason that
link breaks, you are to some degree responsible for giving a user (who
tried to follow that link) a helping hand where to find what you linked
to now.

The OP did precisely that. Asking for help because a link didn't work.
And I think it was perfectly appropriate to ask here.

--
Jan Wieck
Postgres User since 1994

Jan Wieck <jan@wi3ck.info> writes:

> On 4/11/21 11:16 AM, Ron wrote:
>> If my software requires zlib, and I link to https://zlib.net/ on my page, then
>> your logic absolutely means that I'm responsible for supporting zlib.
>
> Let's clarify "support" in this context. If you link to zlib.net, you are not
> responsible for zlib itself. But if for whatever reason that link breaks, you
> are to some degree responsible for giving a user (who tried to follow that link)
> a helping hand where to find what you linked to now.
>
> The OP did precisely that. Asking for help because a link didn't work. And I
> think it was perfectly appropriate to ask here.

I agree, especially given the postgres pages are not explicit/clear that
the download link is a 3rd party link. The OPs question was quite
reasonable and all that was required was to point them to EDB for
assistance. Thankfully, a number of community members did politely do
this and I'm sure the OP was appreciative for the pointers. It has also
highlighted an area for possible clarification/improvement on the
postgres.org site.

--
Tim Cross

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 5:25 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:

> On 4/11/21 2:53 AM, Stephan Knauss wrote:
> > Hello Felix,
> >
> > On 11.04.2021 02:31, felix.quintgz@yahoo.com wrote:
> >> I see no reason why ask elsewhere first, the link for the installer
> >> download is on the Postgresql website, not elsewhere. The most logical
> >> thing to do is ask here first.
> >
> >> Because it is the Postgresql installer.
> >> https://www.enterprisedb.com/downloads/postgres-postgresql-downloads
> >>
> > It's unfortunate that your download is blocked. As indicated by others I
> > am also wondering why you ask here for community support.
> >
> > You pointed to a download link which is controlled by a private company
> > selling Postgresql services:
> >
> > Read about this company on an independent website:
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EnterpriseDB
> >
> > If you are looking for the download links of the PostgreSQL project, you
> > can find it here:
> >
> > https://www.postgresql.org/download/
>
> Which as others have pointed out links to the EDB site for certain
> downloads. As also pointed it is not entirely clear that some of the
> links are to PGDG installs and some are third party.

Yeah, this is definitely something we could work on improving. Would
just adding a sentence after the link saying "This download is
provided externally by EDB" (very much open to input on exactly what
the sentence should be)? Or were you guys thinking in the line that we
should have one of those "you are now leaving postgresql.org"-steps in
between with a second click?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/

Date:
On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 1:33 AM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

Yeah, this is definitely something we could work on improving. Would
just adding a sentence after the link saying "This download is
provided externally by EDB" (very much open to input on exactly what
the sentence should be)? Or were you guys thinking in the line that we
should have one of those "you are now leaving postgresql.org"-steps in
between with a second click?

1 for the "you are now leaving" option.

David J.

Re: The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country.

From
felix.quintgz@yahoo.com
Date:
The entire enterprisedb site is blocked for me. It's an American company, so I imagine it's happening.
In the end I ended up downloading it from www.download3k.es. I checked the installer certificate and it seems to be
correct.

Thank you very much to all

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

On 12-04-2021 17:53, felix.quintgz@yahoo.com wrote:
> The entire enterprisedb site is blocked for me. It's an American
> company, so I imagine it's happening.
> In the end I ended up downloading it from www.download3k.es. I checked
> the installer certificate and it seems to be correct.
>
> Thank you very much to all

The antivirus scan of the site looks amazing. Only a fool would believe
it...
Download DB only from official site.

Re: The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country.

From
felix.quintgz@yahoo.com
Date:
Unfortunately the official site for downloading the installer is blocked for me.
I only had that option and trust what I am downloading.

On 4/12/21 5:13 PM, felix.quintgz@yahoo.com wrote:
> Unfortunately the official site for downloading the installer is blocked for me.
> I only had that option and trust what I am downloading.

That wasn't your only option. Other members have suggested that you
contact EnterpriseDB directly.

Note that CloudFront is just a content service by Amazon Web Services.
The owner of that content, in this case EnterpriseDB, controls those
"GeoRestrictions", that you are having trouble with. See

> https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonCloudFront/latest/DeveloperGuide/georestrictions.html

for details.

It is possible that this restriction is on purpose and that EDB really
doesn't want people from your country to download those files. It is
also possible that this particular download got that restriction by
mistake, either on EDB's side or on the side of the third-party GeoIP
service, Amazon is using to determine the origin of your IP address. I
know a few people at EDB (I did work there in the past). Asking them
won't do any harm and if all of this is actually by mistake, they will
be glad you asked.

Regards, Jan

--
Jan Wieck
Postgres User since 1994

On 4/12/21 5:33 PM, Jan Wieck wrote:
> On 4/12/21 5:13 PM, felix.quintgz@yahoo.com wrote:
>> Unfortunately the official site for downloading the installer is blocked
>> for me.
>> I only had that option and trust what I am downloading.
>
> That wasn't your only option. Other members have suggested that you
> contact EnterpriseDB directly.
>
> Note that CloudFront is just a content service by Amazon Web Services. The
> owner of that content, in this case EnterpriseDB, controls those
> "GeoRestrictions", that you are having trouble with. See
>
>> https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonCloudFront/latest/DeveloperGuide/georestrictions.html
>>

> for details.
>
> It is possible that this restriction is on purpose and that EDB really
> doesn't want people from your country to download those files. It is also
> possible that this particular download got that restriction by mistake,
> either on EDB's side or on the side of the third-party GeoIP service,
> Amazon is using to determine the origin of your IP address. I know a few
> people at EDB (I did work there in the past). Asking them won't do any
> harm and if all of this is actually by mistake, they will be glad you asked.

It's quite possible that EDB added the restriction because OP is from a
country on the US-restricted list (and that country also bans VPNs).

On 4/12/21 7:16 PM, Ron wrote:
> On 4/12/21 5:33 PM, Jan Wieck wrote:
>> On 4/12/21 5:13 PM, felix.quintgz@yahoo.com wrote:
>>> Unfortunately the official site for downloading the installer is blocked
>>> for me.
>>> I only had that option and trust what I am downloading.
>>
>> That wasn't your only option. Other members have suggested that you
>> contact EnterpriseDB directly.
>>
>> Note that CloudFront is just a content service by Amazon Web Services. The
>> owner of that content, in this case EnterpriseDB, controls those
>> "GeoRestrictions", that you are having trouble with. See
>>
>>> https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonCloudFront/latest/DeveloperGuide/georestrictions.html
>>>

>> for details.
>>
>> It is possible that this restriction is on purpose and that EDB really
>> doesn't want people from your country to download those files. It is also
>> possible that this particular download got that restriction by mistake,
>> either on EDB's side or on the side of the third-party GeoIP service,
>> Amazon is using to determine the origin of your IP address. I know a few
>> people at EDB (I did work there in the past). Asking them won't do any
>> harm and if all of this is actually by mistake, they will be glad you asked.
>
> It's quite possible that EDB added the restriction because OP is from a
> country on the US-restricted list (and that country also bans VPNs).

It is, which would change "EDB really doesn't want" into "EDB is forced
by stupid export restrictions, written by stupid lawyers, who have no
clue what they are making laws about".

Yeah, I agree, that is indeed "quite possible".

Regards, Jan

--
Jan Wieck
Postgres User since 1994

Re: The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country.

From
felix.quintgz@yahoo.com
Date:
That is exactly what is happening. The same thing happens to me with code.google.com, mysql, sourceforge,
developer.android.comand some more.

Regards

On 4/12/21 7:22 PM, Jan Wieck wrote:
> On 4/12/21 7:16 PM, Ron wrote:
>>>
>>> That wasn't your only option. Other members have suggested that you
>>> contact EnterpriseDB directly.
>>>
>>> Note that CloudFront is just a content service by Amazon Web
>>> Services. The owner of that content, in this case EnterpriseDB,
>>> controls those "GeoRestrictions", that you are having trouble with. See

>>> for details.
>>>
>>> It is possible that this restriction is on purpose and that EDB
>>> really doesn't want people from your country to download those files.
>>> It is also possible that this particular download got that
>>> restriction by mistake, either on EDB's side or on the side of the
>>> third-party GeoIP service, Amazon is using to determine the origin of
>>> your IP address. I know a few people at EDB (I did work there in the
>>> past). Asking them won't do any harm and if all of this is actually
>>> by mistake, they will be glad you asked.
>>
>> It's quite possible that EDB added the restriction because OP is from a
>> country on the US-restricted list (and that country also bans VPNs).
>
> It is, which would change "EDB really doesn't want" into "EDB is forced
> by stupid export restrictions, written by stupid lawyers, who have no
> clue what they are making laws about".

While I can appreciate frustrations with legal systems, making a blanket
statement like the above without the facts in hand is not helpful either.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com