Re: The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Israel Brewster
Subject Re: The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country.
Date
List pgsql-general
On Apr 11, 2021, at 6:52 AM, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:

On 4/11/21 9:12 AM, Israel Brewster wrote:
On Apr 11, 2021, at 1:53 AM, Stephan Knauss <pgsql@stephans-server.de> wrote:

Hello Felix,

On 11.04.2021 02:31, felix.quintgz@yahoo.com wrote:
I see no reason why ask elsewhere first, the link for the installer download is on the Postgresql website, not elsewhere. The most logical thing to do is ask here first.

Because it is the Postgresql installer. https://www.enterprisedb.com/downloads/postgres-postgresql-downloads

It's unfortunate that your download is blocked. As indicated by others I am also wondering why you ask here for community support.

You pointed to a download link which is controlled by a private company selling Postgresql services:

Read about this company on an independent website: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EnterpriseDB

If you are looking for the download links of the PostgreSQL project, you can find it here:

https://www.postgresql.org/download/

Based on your feedback, it is NOT the link listed on the PostgreSQL website,

With all due respect, the link he posted IS the link listed on the PostgreSQL website, at least for me. When I go to the link YOU posted, and click on MacOS, for example (giving me a URL of https://www.postgresql.org/download/macosx/), the FIRST option listed there is "Interactive installer by EDB”, which links to https://www.enterprisedb.com/downloads/postgres-postgresql-downloads. There is no indication on that page that you are linking to a third-party package download not supported by PostgreSQL (it does say “certified by EDB”, but that doesn’t mean much to a new user, and certainly doesn’t indicate a lack of support by PostgreSQL), so it makes total sense that someone would think to ask here first when experiencing issues.

If you don’t want to offer assistance, that’s fine, but this link most certainly IS the link listed on the PostgreSQL website, at least for MacOS. I haven’t checked for other operating systems.

Your comment means that the owners of any web page which links to a third party product must support that third-party product, just by virtue of supporting it.  That's crazy.

My comment means no such thing. You are absolutely right: that would be crazy. What my comment means is exactly what it says:

1) The official PostgreSQL download page (for both mac and windows platforms) makes NO MENTION of the FACT that it is linking to an unsupported third-party installer, and
2) as such, it makes total sense that someone going to the official PostgreSQL download page and getting an error when clicking on a link on the official PostgreSQL download page would come here first for support.

That is ALL I said, and that is ALL I meant. DO NOT put words in my mouth!

---
Israel Brewster
Software Engineer
Alaska Volcano Observatory