Re: The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country.
Date
List pgsql-general
On 4/12/21 7:22 PM, Jan Wieck wrote:
> On 4/12/21 7:16 PM, Ron wrote:
>>>
>>> That wasn't your only option. Other members have suggested that you
>>> contact EnterpriseDB directly.
>>>
>>> Note that CloudFront is just a content service by Amazon Web
>>> Services. The owner of that content, in this case EnterpriseDB,
>>> controls those "GeoRestrictions", that you are having trouble with. See

>>> for details.
>>>
>>> It is possible that this restriction is on purpose and that EDB
>>> really doesn't want people from your country to download those files.
>>> It is also possible that this particular download got that
>>> restriction by mistake, either on EDB's side or on the side of the
>>> third-party GeoIP service, Amazon is using to determine the origin of
>>> your IP address. I know a few people at EDB (I did work there in the
>>> past). Asking them won't do any harm and if all of this is actually
>>> by mistake, they will be glad you asked.
>>
>> It's quite possible that EDB added the restriction because OP is from a
>> country on the US-restricted list (and that country also bans VPNs).
>
> It is, which would change "EDB really doesn't want" into "EDB is forced
> by stupid export restrictions, written by stupid lawyers, who have no
> clue what they are making laws about".

While I can appreciate frustrations with legal systems, making a blanket
statement like the above without the facts in hand is not helpful either.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com