Re: The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From felix.quintgz@yahoo.com
Subject Re: The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country.
Date
List pgsql-general
That is exactly what is happening. The same thing happens to me with code.google.com, mysql, sourceforge,
developer.android.comand some more.

Regards

 On Monday, April 12, 2021, 10:22:53 PM GMT-4, Jan Wieck <jan@wi3ck.info> wrote:

 On 4/12/21 7:16 PM, Ron wrote:
> On 4/12/21 5:33 PM, Jan Wieck wrote:
>> On 4/12/21 5:13 PM, felix.quintgz@yahoo.com wrote:
>>> Unfortunately the official site for downloading the installer is blocked
>>> for me.
>>> I only had that option and trust what I am downloading.
>>
>> That wasn't your only option. Other members have suggested that you
>> contact EnterpriseDB directly.
>>
>> Note that CloudFront is just a content service by Amazon Web Services. The
>> owner of that content, in this case EnterpriseDB, controls those
>> "GeoRestrictions", that you are having trouble with. See
>>
>>> https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonCloudFront/latest/DeveloperGuide/georestrictions.html
>>>

>> for details.
>>
>> It is possible that this restriction is on purpose and that EDB really
>> doesn't want people from your country to download those files. It is also
>> possible that this particular download got that restriction by mistake,
>> either on EDB's side or on the side of the third-party GeoIP service,
>> Amazon is using to determine the origin of your IP address. I know a few
>> people at EDB (I did work there in the past). Asking them won't do any
>> harm and if all of this is actually by mistake, they will be glad you asked.
>
> It's quite possible that EDB added the restriction because OP is from a
> country on the US-restricted list (and that country also bans VPNs).

It is, which would change "EDB really doesn't want" into "EDB is forced
by stupid export restrictions, written by stupid lawyers, who have no
clue what they are making laws about".

Yeah, I agree, that is indeed "quite possible".

Regards, Jan

--
Jan Wieck
Postgres User since 1994