PostgreSQL GUI

From
Tommi Mäkitalo
Date:
Hi,

I just started coding a GUI for PostgreSQL. I would like to hear, what you
think about that.

It will be open source. I haven't released any code yet, but there are some
screenshots at http://www.maekitalo.de/pgexplorer.html.

I code it it Qt with linux. It should compile under this so popular single
user OS too.

Tommi Mäkitalo

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
> I just started coding a GUI for PostgreSQL. I would like to hear, what you
> think about that.
> It will be open source. I haven't released any code yet, but there are some
> screenshots at http://www.maekitalo.de/pgexplorer.html.
> I code it it Qt with linux. It should compile under this so popular single
> user OS too.

Dear Tommi,

This sound very ... very exciting.

Do you take advantage of Qt3 PostgreSQL widgets? Do you make use of a
database abstraction layer to be able to query (and migrate) MySQL or Oracle?

Best regards,
Jean-Michel POURE

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
Tommi Mäkitalo
Date:
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
I just started coding a GUI for PostgreSQL. I would like to hear, what you
think about that.
It will be open source. I haven't released any code yet, but there are some
screenshots at http://www.maekitalo.de/pgexplorer.html.
I code it it Qt with linux. It should compile under this so popular single
user OS too.

Dear Tommi,

This sound very ... very exciting.

Do you take advantage of Qt3 PostgreSQL widgets? Do you make use of a
database abstraction layer to be able to query (and migrate) MySQL or Oracle?

Best regards,
Jean-Michel POURE

no I don't use Qt3. I use qt2 by now. I have written my own little C++-layer on top of the C-api.

Mirgrating to MySQL or Oracle would be pretty hard. The program tries to show and modify all I can get out of the systemtables. And these are very postgreSQL-specific. If I would use a abstractionlayer I doubt other databasesystems (or SQL-filesystems like MySQL;-) ) will not give me exactly these informations I try to show.

By the way - I switched the name already. I just found a pgexplorer at http://www.pgexplorer.com. I switched to qpsql. Maybe someone out there has a better name?

I put the source online now. You can download it at http://www.maekitalo.de/qpsql. The screenshots don't match the published version. I will make new ones soon.

Tommi Mäkitalo

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
Le Dimanche 30 Décembre 2001 20:39, vous avez écrit :
> Mirgrating to MySQL or Oracle would be pretty hard. The program tries to
> show and modify all I can get out of the systemtables.

Dear Tommy,

There are several database abstraction layers for PHP. I wonder if there
exist some in C++. The advantage of an abstraction layer would be able to
migrate major databases to PostgreSQL which has superior design.

Best regards,
Jean-Michel POURE

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
Tommi Mäkitalo
Date:
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
Mirgrating to MySQL or Oracle would be pretty hard. The program tries to
show and modify all I can get out of the systemtables.

Dear Tommy,

There are several database abstraction layers for PHP. I wonder if there
exist some in C++. The advantage of an abstraction layer would be able to
migrate major databases to PostgreSQL which has superior design.

Best regards,
Jean-Michel POURE

there are several abstraction layers. I could use some ODBC-API, but this wouldn't help. I do something like 'select ... from pg_class where ...' and so on. If the target database has no pg_class or pg_attribute or pg_whatsoever-systemtable, it wouldn't help, if I could send my query to the database. I would like to show everything the PostgreSQL-systemtables will give me. I could try to do some abstraction, but I doubt other databases could give me exactly the information PostgreSQL does. I'm sure MySQL and Oracle and other Databasesystems have much information in their systemtables, but not exactly the same as Pg.

Ok - maybe it could be extended some day for other databasessystems. It would maybe be pretty nice to adminster different databases from the same GUI. Yes that would be a nice idea. But I just try to make something useful. And get it useful as quick as possible. Maybe it will be a dirty hack at first, but it will be a base for new ideas.

Tommi

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
> there are several abstraction layers. I could use some ODBC-API, but
> this wouldn't help. I do something like 'select ... from pg_class where
> ...' and so on. If the target database has no pg_class or pg_attribute
> or pg_whatsoever-systemtable, it wouldn't help, if I could send my query
> to the database. I would like to show everything the
> PostgreSQL-systemtables will give me. I could try to do some
> abstraction, but I doubt other databases could give me exactly the
> information PostgreSQL does. I'm sure MySQL and Oracle and other
> Databasesystems have much information in their systemtables, but not
> exactly the same as Pg.

For what it's worth, I agree with this statement. The way I see it, what is
great about getting a more advanced PostgreSQL GUI is that it is specifically
designed for postgres. I am sure there are a few graphical tools out there
that already try to be DB-independant... but then you never get the features
that make the database great. In other words, don't go for the lowest common
denominator, because I would like to create things that don't necessarily
work as well in MySQL or whatever other databases are part of the abstraction
layer.

However, it would certainly make sense to use those abstraction layers for
tasks common across many databases. This would just be considered good
programming practice since it doesn't usually take much more work. Moreover,
you can use these standard calls to import and export data from another DB.
I.E. if you were to make a generic import you could use an abstracted layer
to perform a simple select statement to work accross all DBs.

In short, don't let an abstraction layer get in the way of what you really
want to do.

Thanks!

Best regards,
    Jeff

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
Tommi Mäkitalo
Date:
Hi,

thank you for your feedback. I feel it would be a good idea to get some
interfaces to other databases. Yes - I think I will do that. It would be
great to transfer data directly from one database to PostgreSQL. Maybe I
need a abstractionlayer for accessing tabledescriptions? What if we can
just create a connection to another dbs and with just a click create a
database, create tables and transfer data into PostgreSQL? Wouldn't that
be great?

What are the special features you would like to see in a
PostgreSQL-specific GUI like this? What makes in your eyes the
uniqueness of PostgreSQL compared to others?

I just uploaded version 0.02 to http://www.maekitalo.de/qpsql. It is not
very functional yet, but you should see the direction where I'm going to.

Tommi

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
"Jeffrey W. Baker"

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, Tommi [ISO-8859-15] Mäkitalo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thank you for your feedback. I feel it would be a good idea to get some
> interfaces to other databases. Yes - I think I will do that. It would be
> great to transfer data directly from one database to PostgreSQL. Maybe I
> need a abstractionlayer for accessing tabledescriptions? What if we can
> just create a connection to another dbs and with just a click create a
> database, create tables and transfer data into PostgreSQL? Wouldn't that
> be great?

That would be a very slick feature, but it is also something you can do
with a 30-second Perl script.

> What are the special features you would like to see in a
> PostgreSQL-specific GUI like this? What makes in your eyes the
> uniqueness of PostgreSQL compared to others?

I'd like:
* Highlighted output from EXPLAIN
* A nice display of all constraint triggers
* Easy modification of tables (which usually means drop/recreate,
repopulate, re-establish constraints, reindex, and vacuum analyze)

> I just uploaded version 0.02 to http://www.maekitalo.de/qpsql. It is not
> very functional yet, but you should see the direction where I'm going to.

-jwb

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
> > need a abstractionlayer for accessing tabledescriptions? What if we can
> > just create a connection to another dbs and with just a click create a
> > database, create tables and transfer data into PostgreSQL? Wouldn't that
> > be great?
>
> That would be a very slick feature, but it is also something you can do
> with a 30-second Perl script.

Well, true. You can actually do any task enabled by this software instead by
a 30-second perl script. 30 seconds is fine to complete one task. However,
the process (at least for some people) of creating and modifying a database
structure often involves many steps, and sometimes involves changes of mind.
Graphical clients often can expedite this process by enabling quick results
that help to plan a correct solution. Writing a perl script usually means you
have it already planned out mentally or on paper. A perl interpreter does not
assist in planning in any way.

> > What are the special features you would like to see in a
> > PostgreSQL-specific GUI like this? What makes in your eyes the
> > uniqueness of PostgreSQL compared to others?
>
> I'd like:
> * Highlighted output from EXPLAIN
> * A nice display of all constraint triggers
> * Easy modification of tables (which usually means drop/recreate,
> repopulate, re-establish constraints, reindex, and vacuum analyze)

Agreed.

Regards,
    Jeff

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
On Wednesday 02 January 2002 11:19 am, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thank you for your feedback. I feel it would be a good idea to get some
> interfaces to other databases. Yes - I think I will do that. It would be
> great to transfer data directly from one database to PostgreSQL. Maybe I
> need a abstractionlayer for accessing tabledescriptions? What if we can
> just create a connection to another dbs and with just a click create a
> database, create tables and transfer data into PostgreSQL? Wouldn't that
> be great?

Yes, that would be great. All I meant was that it would be nice to use all of
the features of postgresql (see below) and abstract what we could for the
sake of other databases' interoperability. As development continues, of
course, we could try to add better support for other databases.

> What are the special features you would like to see in a
> PostgreSQL-specific GUI like this? What makes in your eyes the
> uniqueness of PostgreSQL compared to others?

Here is what I had in mind (this list will probably expand as time goes on):
1) a good way to add new functions using a variety of languages
2) a way to view/modify languages and the respective levels of trust
3) managers for views, types, triggers, sequences, rules, and operators
4) Get useful info from the stats table and "EXPLAIN" statement

I am sure some of those features are available in other databases (perhaps
with different implementation), but I am not quite familiar enough with other
DBs to be sure.

> I just uploaded version 0.02 to http://www.maekitalo.de/qpsql. It is not
> very functional yet, but you should see the direction where I'm going to.

I am hoping that I can help you get some things accomplished (I have some
experience with c/c++). I would definately like a tool like this.

As a side note, I think this discussion is moving out of the scope of
pgsql-general (although that was a good place to mention it initially).
Perhaps you could set up your website to support some form of communication
(mailing list or forum or whatever). Of course you have to use gbsite
(http://gborg.postgresql.org) :) Maybe I could help with that too.

Regards,
    Jeff

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
Le Mercredi 2 Janvier 2002 20:19, vous avez écrit :
> Maybe I need a abstractionlayer for accessing tabledescriptions?

Gnomedb provides an abstraction layer, but I don't know much
about it.

Best regards,
Jean-Michel POURE

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
Tommi Mäkitalo
Date:
Hi,

it looks like we will get a new home. But I still need a name for our
child. I don't want to register before I have a good name!

It is called qpsql now, but I feel that psql is primaryly a querytool,
but my GUI will be a querytool too but a admintool in first place. So
the name qpsql isn't exactly what I want.

What do you think about "pgkonqueror" or "pgscape" or "pgzilla"? Any
other suggestions? I'm not a native english speaker, so I have
difficulties to create a good english name. I think there are few people
who would be lucky, if I choose a finnish (PgHallitusohjelma?) or german
(PgAdministrationswerkzeug) name. So be warned;-)

Tommi

>As a side note, I think this discussion is moving out of the scope of
>pgsql-general (although that was a good place to mention it initially).
>Perhaps you could set up your website to support some form of communication
>(mailing list or forum or whatever). Of course you have to use gbsite
>(http://gborg.postgresql.org) :) Maybe I could help with that too.
>
>Regards,
>    Jeff

>http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
Jochem van Dieten
Date:
Tommi Mäkitalo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> it looks like we will get a new home. But I still need a name for our
> child. I don't want to register before I have a good name!
>
> It is called qpsql now, but I feel that psql is primaryly a querytool,
> but my GUI will be a querytool too but a admintool in first place. So
> the name qpsql isn't exactly what I want.
>
> What do you think about "pgkonqueror" or "pgscape" or "pgzilla"? Any
> other suggestions? I'm not a native english speaker, so I have
> difficulties to create a good english name. I think there are few people
> who would be lucky, if I choose a finnish (PgHallitusohjelma?) or german
> (PgAdministrationswerkzeug) name. So be warned;-)

PgadmiX, just like Pgadmin but for *nix.

Jochem

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
"Jeffrey W. Baker"

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Jochem van Dieten wrote:

> Tommi Mäkitalo wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > it looks like we will get a new home. But I still need a name for our
> > child. I don't want to register before I have a good name!
> >
> > It is called qpsql now, but I feel that psql is primaryly a querytool,
> > but my GUI will be a querytool too but a admintool in first place. So
> > the name qpsql isn't exactly what I want.
> >
> > What do you think about "pgkonqueror" or "pgscape" or "pgzilla"? Any
> > other suggestions? I'm not a native english speaker, so I have
> > difficulties to create a good english name. I think there are few people
> > who would be lucky, if I choose a finnish (PgHallitusohjelma?) or german
> > (PgAdministrationswerkzeug) name. So be warned;-)
>

> PgadmiX, just like Pgadmin but for *nix.

I like PgHallitusohjelma much better.  Or simply pgthing, pgfoo, or
pgwhatsit.

-jwb

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
Kaare Rasmussen
Date:
> > who would be lucky, if I choose a finnish (PgHallitusohjelma?) or german
> > (PgAdministrationswerkzeug) name. So be warned;-)

We wouldn't want that, would we? ;-)

> PgadmiX, just like Pgadmin but for *nix.

What about PostMan (for PostgreSQL Manager)?

Howitzvej 75               Åben 14.00-18.00        Web:      www.suse.dk
2000 Frederiksberg        Lørdag 11.00-17.00       Email: kar@kakidata.dk

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
wsheldah@lexmark.com

PostMan makes me think of a mail carrier, which might make it a good name for an
email-related application, but not for a database-related app.

Kaare Rasmussen <kar%kakidata.dk@interlock.lexmark.com> on 01/04/2002 12:06:53
PM

cc:    (bcc: Wesley Sheldahl/Lex/Lexmark)
Subject:  Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL GUI

> > who would be lucky, if I choose a finnish (PgHallitusohjelma?) or german
> > (PgAdministrationswerkzeug) name. So be warned;-)

We wouldn't want that, would we? ;-)

> PgadmiX, just like Pgadmin but for *nix.

What about PostMan (for PostgreSQL Manager)?

Howitzvej 75               Åben 14.00-18.00        Web:      www.suse.dk
2000 Frederiksberg        Lørdag 11.00-17.00       Email: kar@kakidata.dk

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
"SHELTON,MICHAEL (Non-HP-Boise,ex1)"
PostMan makes me think of a mail carrier, which might make it a good name
for an
email-related application, but not for a database-related app.

Kaare Rasmussen <kar%kakidata.dk@interlock.lexmark.com> on 01/04/2002
12:06:53
PM

cc:    (bcc: Wesley Sheldahl/Lex/Lexmark)

> > who would be lucky, if I choose a finnish (PgHallitusohjelma?) or german
> > (PgAdministrationswerkzeug) name. So be warned;-)

We wouldn't want that, would we? ;-)

> PgadmiX, just like Pgadmin but for *nix.

What about PostMan (for PostgreSQL Manager)?

Howitzvej 75               Åben 14.00-18.00        Web:      www.suse.dk
2000 Frederiksberg        Lørdag 11.00-17.00       Email: kar@kakidata.dk

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
"Mike Arace"
Date:
How about PostGRAD?  It would let you (D)evelop (A)pplications
(R)apidly.  Ok, its a stretch, I know.

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:

> > > who would be lucky, if I choose a finnish (PgHallitusohjelma?) or german
> > > (PgAdministrationswerkzeug) name. So be warned;-)
>
> We wouldn't want that, would we? ;-)
>
> > PgadmiX, just like Pgadmin but for *nix.
>
> What about PostMan (for PostgreSQL Manager)?

Sounds too much like an email program.  But, no, I don't have any
suggestions either :(

Vince.

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
Kaare Rasmussen
Date:
> > What about PostMan (for PostgreSQL Manager)?
> Sounds too much like an email program.  But, no, I don't have any

It was said with a little humor. But we already have the postmaster, so...

Howitzvej 75               Åben 14.00-18.00        Web:      www.suse.dk
2000 Frederiksberg        Lørdag 11.00-17.00       Email: kar@kakidata.dk

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
Hello,

Maybe you should have a look at pgAdmin (http://pgadmin.postgresql.org). Do
you think you can port the interface of pgAdmin to KDE? This would be so nice
to have one *single* GUI for Windows and KDE...

Best regards,
Jean-Michel POURE

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
tony
Date:
> Maybe you should have a look at pgAdmin (http://pgadmin.postgresql.org). Do
> you think you can port the interface of pgAdmin to KDE? This would be so nice
> to have one *single* GUI for Windows and KDE...

Some of us use Gnome (even Ximian Gnome...) too...

I dont have the Qt libs on this machine for example. I use pgaccess and have tried various others. A self contained
binarywith no dependency problems would be a nice tool.

Cheers

Tony Grant

--
tony@animaproductions.com

JWebMail WebMail/Java v0.7.6 WWW to Mail Gateway

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
postgresql@finner.de
Date:
On 05-Jan-02 tony sat down, thought for a long time and then wrote:

>> Maybe you should have a look at pgAdmin
>> (http://pgadmin.postgresql.org). Do
>> you think you can port the interface of pgAdmin to KDE? This would
>> be so nice
>> to have one *single* GUI for Windows and KDE...
>
> Some of us use Gnome (even Ximian Gnome...) too...
>
> I dont have the Qt libs on this machine for example. I use pgaccess
> and have tried various others. A self contained binary with no
> dependency problems would be a nice tool.

There are even some people around who do not like any desktop
environment at all and use a plain old window manager (like me, I use
Motif mwm).

IMHO it would be a good idea to use a library which is widely spread
(preferredly for several OSs), available as open source and can fulfill
all needs there are for a proper GUI. I think there are always nice
guys who create binary packages for people who don´t have the according
shared libs or development packs.

But I hate these applications which seem to run, but only run properly,
if you have this whole big DE installed and running, and otherwise
throw strange errors.There should be no dependency to any DE.

Maybe a good choice would be an overlying API like WxWindows (just an
example, http://www.wxwindows.org), which may use several underlying
toolkits (Gtk, Motif, ...) and compiles on several platforms.

Greetings,
--
Frank Finner

And now there is no turning back at all.
                              (M. Moorcock, "Elric Of Melnibone")"

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
"Brent R. Matzelle"
Date:
--- postgresql@finner.de wrote:
> Maybe a good choice would be an overlying API like WxWindows (just
> an
> example, http://www.wxwindows.org), which may use several
> underlying
> toolkits (Gtk, Motif, ...) and compiles on several platforms.

I would tend to agree with you that WxWindows is a good program
platform to work with.  However, QT has multiple advantages over this
platform and GTK's as well.

First, QT runs on many platforms, including Linux, Windows, Solaris,
HP-UX, Irix, AIX, and the OS X to name a few.  It also has a nice
optional open source license.  You can statically link an application
with it, Opera for Linux is the biggest example.  It has an excellent
open source tool in KDevelop (http://www.kdevelop.org/) and a form
designer tool (http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/tools.html).  Not
to mention multiple modules for database, XML, and table
manipulation.  Plus, the libraries come standard with every major
Linux vendor which gives it a massive base of possible users.

Brent

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Qt does have a good rep.

www.qt3.org

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

"Brent R. Matzelle" wrote:

> --- postgresql@finner.de wrote:
> > Maybe a good choice would be an overlying API like WxWindows (just
> > an
> > example, http://www.wxwindows.org), which may use several
> > underlying
> > toolkits (Gtk, Motif, ...) and compiles on several platforms.
>
> I would tend to agree with you that WxWindows is a good program
> platform to work with.  However, QT has multiple advantages over this
> platform and GTK's as well.
>
> First, QT runs on many platforms, including Linux, Windows, Solaris,
> HP-UX, Irix, AIX, and the OS X to name a few.  It also has a nice
> optional open source license.  You can statically link an application
> with it, Opera for Linux is the biggest example.  It has an excellent
> open source tool in KDevelop (http://www.kdevelop.org/) and a form
> designer tool (http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/tools.html).  Not
> to mention multiple modules for database, XML, and table
> manipulation.  Plus, the libraries come standard with every major
> Linux vendor which gives it a massive base of possible users.
>
> Brent

> http://archives.postgresql.org

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
Marek Pętlicki
Date:
W liście z sob, 05-01-2002, godz. 16:09, Brent R. Matzelle pisze:
> --- postgresql@finner.de wrote:
> > Maybe a good choice would be an overlying API like WxWindows (just
> > an
> > example, http://www.wxwindows.org), which may use several
> > underlying
> > toolkits (Gtk, Motif, ...) and compiles on several platforms.
>
> I would tend to agree with you that WxWindows is a good program
> platform to work with.  However, QT has multiple advantages over this
> platform and GTK's as well.
>
> First, QT runs on many platforms, including Linux, Windows, Solaris,
> HP-UX, Irix, AIX, and the OS X to name a few.  It also has a nice
> optional open source license.  You can statically link an application
> with it, Opera for Linux is the biggest example.  It has an excellent
> open source tool in KDevelop (http://www.kdevelop.org/) and a form
> designer tool (http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/tools.html).  Not
> to mention multiple modules for database, XML, and table
> manipulation.  Plus, the libraries come standard with every major
> Linux vendor which gives it a massive base of possible users.

don't want to start a flamewar here, but Gtk/GNOME seems to be taking
over the *nix part of the universe. It is becomming standard on Solaris
and seems close to that on HP-UX.

Qt has many versions, some of them are commercial. Opera is not a good
example as it is closed-source. You could as well mention Kylix which is
also based on Qt.

Those _commercial_ products don't tend to use Gtk only because it
doesn't allow to close the source of a program it is used in, not
because it is worse than Qt ;-)

And finally: Qt is not Free Software, not on all of the supported
platforms anyway.

I don't think that wxWindows is the best solution for all of the
problems, but when portability comes into play, it is a good choice.
And, as a bonus, it provides native look-and-feel on all of the
supported platforms.

Just my opinion, though

regards

--
Marek Pętlicki <marpet@linuxpl.org>
Linux User ID=162988

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
"Brent R. Matzelle"
Date:
--- Marek P�tlicki <marpet@linuxpl.org> wrote:
> don't want to start a flamewar here, but Gtk/GNOME seems to be
> taking
> over the *nix part of the universe. It is becomming standard on
> Solaris
> and seems close to that on HP-UX.

I happen to like GTK, and it does have some very impressive programs
like Gnumeric and Evolution running with it.  However, I think that
it might be much easier to build a complex GUI application with QT,
C++, and the IDE tools.  The time to market should be faster and
since I am a C++ developer I can help out as well ;)  However, that
makes me biased towards QT and C++ rather than GTK and C.

> Those _commercial_ products don't tend to use Gtk only because it
> doesn't allow to close the source of a program it is used in, not
> because it is worse than Qt ;-)

That is not true.  If you go to http://www.gtk.org/ you can see quite
prominently that GTK is licensed under the LGPL which means that it
can be used for commercial purposes.

Date:
W liście z sob, 05-01-2002, godz. 17:57, Brent R. Matzelle pisze:

> > Those _commercial_ products don't tend to use Gtk only because it
> > doesn't allow to close the source of a program it is used in, not
> > because it is worse than Qt ;-)
>
> That is not true.  If you go to http://www.gtk.org/ you can see quite
> prominently that GTK is licensed under the LGPL which means that it
> can be used for commercial purposes.

OK, I was trolling (only a little ;-)

BTW: wxWindows is also based on C++ and there happen to exist IDE tools
for it...

best regards

--
Marek Pętlicki <marpet@linuxpl.org>
Linux User ID=162988

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
Tommi Makitalo
Date:
Hi,

I didn't want to start a flamewar for some GUI-tools here. I just happen
to use KDE and I felt that creating a KDE-only tool isn't a good idea.
Qt is a toolkit I happen to know. I wanted just to start a PostgreSQL
GUI, because there seems to be a need for it. Usually I think more about
structure and technics and so on, when I program, but I wanted just to
get a quick start.

So please stop the discussion here about toolkits. It don't belong here
into the pgsql-general mailinglist. I hope there will be a mailinglist
for my PostgreSQL GUI or maybe others (what about
pgsql-gui@postgresql.org?). There you can discuss about toolkits and
which one is best for a PostgreSQL GUI. And if someone like toolkit foo
more: just make your gui. You can use as much code of mine as you want.
That's gpl for.

Tommi

Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From
postgresql@finner.de
Date:
On 05-Jan-02 Tommi Makitalo sat down, thought for a long time and then
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I didn't want to start a flamewar for some GUI-tools here. I just
> happen
> to use KDE and I felt that creating a KDE-only tool isn't a good
> idea.
> Qt is a toolkit I happen to know. I wanted just to start a PostgreSQL
> GUI, because there seems to be a need for it. Usually I think more
> about
> structure and technics and so on, when I program, but I wanted just
> get a quick start.
>
> So please stop the discussion here about toolkits. It don't belong
> here
> into the pgsql-general mailinglist. I hope there will be a
> mailinglist
> for my PostgreSQL GUI or maybe others (what about
> pgsql-gui@postgresql.org?). There you can discuss about toolkits and
> which one is best for a PostgreSQL GUI. And if someone like toolkit
> foo
> more: just make your gui. You can use as much code of mine as you
> want.
> That's gpl for.

Hey, no reason to worry!

I think, despite all discussions, it´s a very good idea to create a
good GUI after all. Regardless, if it uses Qt, GTK, Motif or whatever.
It was just a suggestion to use a higher level API to calm things down
but I think if you know about Qt you should just use it! And IMHO a
dependency on a library is OK - as far as it doesn´t mean I have to
install and use the whole KDE! ;-)

So, please go on with your work. There´s really need for it!

Greetings,