Re: PostgreSQL GUI - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeffrey W. Baker
Subject Re: PostgreSQL GUI
Date
List pgsql-general

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, Tommi [ISO-8859-15] Mäkitalo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thank you for your feedback. I feel it would be a good idea to get some
> interfaces to other databases. Yes - I think I will do that. It would be
> great to transfer data directly from one database to PostgreSQL. Maybe I
> need a abstractionlayer for accessing tabledescriptions? What if we can
> just create a connection to another dbs and with just a click create a
> database, create tables and transfer data into PostgreSQL? Wouldn't that
> be great?

That would be a very slick feature, but it is also something you can do
with a 30-second Perl script.

> What are the special features you would like to see in a
> PostgreSQL-specific GUI like this? What makes in your eyes the
> uniqueness of PostgreSQL compared to others?

I'd like:
* Highlighted output from EXPLAIN
* A nice display of all constraint triggers
* Easy modification of tables (which usually means drop/recreate,
repopulate, re-establish constraints, reindex, and vacuum analyze)

> I just uploaded version 0.02 to http://www.maekitalo.de/qpsql. It is not
> very functional yet, but you should see the direction where I'm going to.

-jwb